PDA

View Full Version : Joined a gym...

KimberleyRN
03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
We have been here for 13 months and finally joined a gym. We opted for the one that is closest to our home and has a good amount of open hours.

Chris and I joined last night and went for the first time today. It was a bit glitzy/glammy and the music was horrendous (Thank God for my mp3 player!).

The clientele seemed to be a good mixture of your lazy women sitting on the reclining bikes going 50 rpm while watching tv to your serious lifters. Not a lot of super buff guys or well muscled women... but it was a Sunday afternoon and maybe they go in the early mornings.

It was good to get in the gym today and I just went with 32 minutes on the elliptical at about 160 rpm and then some back extensions and core work.

I did not do free weights there because I do those at home as it is. I may progress to using theirs if I want to spend more than an hour at a time there.

They have a fancy schmancy locker room/sauna/pool that I will most likely get around to visiting sometime... maybe... Not used to that. Maybe I will start going before work afterall!

It was good to look down and see my husband doing the circuit training as I was on the elliptical... He is a hottie and motivates me by how hard he works out... I can not be the slacker in the family, you know!

Anyway, just touching base because I have been limiting my online time the past few months... I had a bad experience and am just now getting to where I feel ready to be online again. It is all good though, live and learn I say!

So, how are all of you, fill me in and bring me up to date...

Oh yes, a special thank you to those that sent me PM's inquiring as to how things were going on this end... you know who you are and I really appreciate your motivation!

chodan9
03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
welcome to the wild world of the Gym.
I have found that I have better focus in the gym as opposed to working out at home. Plus sometimes the gym is just entertaining. Watching all the people doing their things.

KimberleyRN
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes, I was amused at the 20ish flabby chick sitting in the recumbant bike... she did not even break a sweat or get to the breathing heavy stage...

I guess she can go home and say she worked out for an hour though... :P

EMISGOD
03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, I was amused at the 20ish flabby chick sitting in the recumbant bike... she did not even break a sweat or get to the breathing heavy stage...

I guess she can go home and say she worked out for an hour though... :P

I used to drive people like that nuts by taking a very long time stretching and dicking around before I got on the equipment and then go flying by them in the machine's caloric readings...it was endlessly entertaining watching some of them cut short their usual times (it was a small gym and so I observed somewhat the things across the room while I was lifting) due to proximity with me...some, however, were inspired to work, but only a few ever gave me much, if any, competition...after a while, they started deliberately choosing machines grouped together so as not to give me a spot, especially after they figured out I was stalling with the stretches to give them a head start. :D

KimberleyRN
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I usually do not pay that much attention to those around me... but she was on a recumbant bike right in front of my elliptical and I was watching my husband on the lower level and had to look past her...

I doubt I would get competitive with someone next to me though, it is more about doing better than I did the last time.

Makes me wonder if folks are monitoring my progress/speed/rpm's...

EMISGOD
03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I usually do not pay that much attention to those around me... but she was on a recumbant bike right in front of my elliptical and I was watching my husband on the lower level and had to look past her...

I doubt I would get competitive with someone next to me though, it is more about doing better than I did the last time.

Makes me wonder if folks are monitoring my progress/speed/rpm's...

Some of the better Cardio workouts I've had, probably 3 or 4 gyms ago now, was being paced and pacing another of the regulars on the Mill next to me...of course, it helps if the other person is both aware and actually wants to work... :)