PDA

View Full Version : Quinoa

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok, I need some Quinoa recipies, but Quinoa is considered a "Super Food."

I know you can cook it similarly to rice, but what are your favorites recipies. Simple or complicated is fine. I do think I am going to add 1oz Quinoa, 1oz Flax seeds and 1oz Oats to my protein shake to make a Sup-Duper Shake, so is it ok to eat them raw like we do oats and ground flax seeds? :)

I just read that Quinoa has "saponins" as described below. Do you wash your Quinoa seeds before cooking, if so how?

"While the processing methods used in the commercial cultivation of Quinoa remove much of the soapy saponins that coats quinoa seeds, it is still a good idea to thoroughly wash the seeds to remove any remaining saponin residue."

Recipies and comments, thanks.

Hound53
03-30-2008, 04:54 PM
just discovered quinoa myself. The box I used said it was pre washed so I just tossed it in the pot and cooked it according to the directions on the box

So far the only thing I have done with it was mix it with some salsa and used it to stuff some pablamo peppers. I just mixed it about 50/50 with the salsa and about a half cup of fat free cream cheese. Just half the peppers, remove seeds and ribs then steam em till soft but not limp. Then stuff them with the quinoa mixture and top with cheese bake about an hour at 350. I used goat cheese for the topping but if you want lower fat/calorie content fat free mozzarella cheese or even fat free cheddar would work.

Also there are a ton of recipes on the net for it. Here is just one page

http://www.quinoa-recipes.com/

Quinoa by itself is pretty bland, it is like rice, in that it acquires the taste of whatever you cook it with. Make sure yours is pre washed or wash it yourself really well also or it will be very bitter from what I read. Maybe do 2 or 3 rinses

edit I suppose you could eat it raw, all it is is a seed after all. Oh and if I was going to wash it I would use some cheesecloth or a very fine mesh strainer. lacking those just use a pot of cold water and use your hand to restrain the quinoa when draining the wash water off.

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Hound. Excellent experience and suggestions. Appreciated.

RockgurlCT
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I boil it up and while it's cooking I fry up some green and red peppers and some red onion and garlic in a little olive oil and add some chicken sausage. Then I add the Quinoa and a little bit of broth. Once it's all cooked I throw in a little Romano cheese....it tastes awesome.

Hound53
03-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Just re read the recipe I posted and it wasn't too clear on the fact I did cook the quinoa before mixing it with the salsa and cream cheese

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I boil it up and while it's cooking I fry up some green and red peppers and some red onion and garlic in a little olive oil and add some chicken sausage. Then I add the Quinoa and a little bit of broth. Once it's all cooked I throw in a little Romano cheese....it tastes awesome.

Sounds good! Thank you :)

Just re read the recipe I posted and it wasn't too clear on the fact I did cook the quinoa before mixing it with the salsa and cream cheese

I did get the impression you cooked it, thanks.

Hound53
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I did get the impression you cooked it, thanks.

heh heh then you are a much better cook than my daughter. She has a lot of talents but cooking is not one of them. When I send her a recipe I have to be very explicit otherwise she would toss the eggs in without breaking em.

Spiceygamble
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Quinoa:

Although not a common item in most kitchens today, quinoa is an amino acid-rich (protein) seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked.

Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient "grain" once considered "the gold of the Incas."

In-depth nutrient analysis:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=143

:) Enjoy!!

Hibiscus09
03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm not real exciting with mine -- I pre-cook it and have it on hand. Oh, and I don't pre-wash it -- my box says the same -- pre-washed.

I like to fry up chopped onions in Pam and add egg whites and quinoa. I top it with Butterbuds and sometimes salsa.

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
heh heh then you are a much better cook than my daughter. She has a lot of talents but cooking is not one of them. When I send her a recipe I have to be very explicit otherwise she would toss the eggs in without breaking em.

LOL. I love to cook. sounds like you're a pretty good cook, too.

Quinoa:

Although not a common item in most kitchens today, quinoa is an amino acid-rich (protein) seed that has a fluffy, creamy, slightly crunchy texture and a somewhat nutty flavor when cooked.

Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is a recently rediscovered ancient "grain" once considered "the gold of the Incas."

In-depth nutrient analysis:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=143

:) Enjoy!!

Thanks, SpiceGirl ;)

Hibiscus09
03-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm not real exciting with mine -- I pre-cook it and have it on hand. Oh, and I don't pre-wash it -- my box says the same -- pre-washed.

I like to fry up chopped onions in Pam and add egg whites and quinoa. I top it with Butterbuds and sometimes salsa.

Oh -- and I haven't tried it, but I bet mushrooms or broc**** stir fry veggies would taste nice with that mix of ingredients also.

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Oh yaaay, Hibbles :) I think I remember you once mentioning quinoa. I'll be sure to get the box that says "pre-washed," cause I 'aint gonna wash those suckers, lol.

Your dish sounds delish and thank you for your sweet, yet savory contribution :p

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh -- and I haven't tried it, but I bet mushrooms or broc**** stir fry veggies would taste nice with that mix of ingredients also.

Mmmm. And, I'll bet you are right. Mushrooms, FTW. Going to the store tomorrow :)

Spiceygamble
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh yaaay, Hibbles :) I think I remember you once mentioning quinoa. I'll be sure to get the box that says "pre-washed," cause I 'aint gonna wash those suckers, lol.

*hahahaaa...

If you buy it bulk in a health food store you can wash it easily by placing it in a mason jar with a piece of cheese cloth inside the lid. Shake gently & rinse three times. That should be quite through. A vegan friend used to swear by letting it soak for 15 mins before rinsing it.
Some of best recipes will be found on vegan sites... fyi.
Treat it as you would oats or couscous when it comes to cooking.
;)

Hope that helps a bit.
:)

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
*hahahaaa...
Some of best recipes will be found on vegan sites... fyi.
Treat it as you would oats or couscous when it comes to cooking.
;)
Hope that helps a bit.
:)

Thanks again, Spicey ;) Seems like quinoa would be perfect for veegs, since it is considered a "super-food."

Hibiscus09
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Your dish sounds delish and thank you for your sweet, yet savory contribution :p

You're welcome, sweetie!

I've always thought it would do well in any recipe as a substitute for brown rice. One of these days I'm going to try it in my stuffed peppers instead of brown rice. :)

Spiceygamble
03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
try checking out these links, you might find quite a few helpful ideas:

this is a link to tons of helpful info...
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp_a=sp100393f7&sp_q=quinoa&sp_p=all&sp_f=ISO-8859-1

http://www.quinoa-recipes.com/Quinoa_Pages/What_Is_Quinoa.html

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=quinoa&x=0&y=0

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/search/search.php?q=quinoa&num=10&start=0&output=xml_no_dtd&client=default_frontend&filter=0&site=default_collection&num=50&btnG=Search

http://www.chow.com/search?search%5Bquery%5D=quinoa&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

That should get you started.
(I might be a slight foodie... lol!!)
;)

Mark1T
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
You're welcome, sweetie!

I've always thought it would do well in any recipe as a substitute for brown rice. One of these days I'm going to try it in my stuffed peppers instead of brown rice. :)

That sounds awesome. I love thinking of recipies like that in my head and then trying them. I am having about 8 ladies over for a Birthday lunch this Friday. I am going to stuff Manicotti pasta with a mixture of toasted wheat bread crumbs, little butter, lots of chopped shrimp, sauteed shallots, roasted garlic and a little mozerella cheese. The Manicotti will be 1/2 cooked when stuffed, then placed into a large casserole dish. I will then make a Bechamel sauce with some fresh thyme and some mozerella cheese, then pour over the pasta. Then, I'll put some bread crumbs with a little butter on top of the dish and bake :)

Inthegrass
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I eat quinao all the time. I put it in my salads, mix it with brown rice, add it to an omelete and the other day when I ran out of oatmeal, I threw some (already cooked) into my smoothie. Mmmmm!!
I use both the red and white quinoa.

Jeff

freewheel
03-31-2008, 04:21 AM
That sounds awesome. I love thinking of recipies like that in my head and then trying them. I am having about 8 ladies over for a Birthday lunch this Friday. I am going to stuff Manicotti pasta with a mixture of toasted wheat bread crumbs, little butter, lots of chopped shrimp, sauteed shallots, roasted garlic and a little mozerella cheese. The Manicotti will be 1/2 cooked when stuffed, then placed into a large casserole dish. I will then make a Bechamel sauce with some fresh thyme and some mozerella cheese, then pour over the pasta. Then, I'll put some bread crumbs with a little butter on top of the dish and bake :)

Dude, you're an animal!......Oh wait,you're talkin' about what you plan on cooking?

Hibiscus09
03-31-2008, 04:33 AM

I don't remember getting my invitation. :( :D That sounds yummy!

Hound53
03-31-2008, 04:49 AM

Now ya done it :) You gotta send everyone on the forum a plate of it now!

Mark1T
03-31-2008, 05:24 AM
That should get you started.
(I might be a slight foodie... lol!!)
;)

Thanks, Spicey :)

I eat quinao all the time. I put it in my salads, mix it with brown rice, add it to an omelete and the other day when I ran out of oatmeal, I threw some (already cooked) into my smoothie. Mmmmm!!
I use both the red and white quinoa.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'll have to check out the differences between the red and white. I have homework.

Dude, you're an animal!......Oh wait,you're talkin' about what you plan on cooking?

Haha. My Sister's birthday ;)

I don't remember getting my invitation. :( :D That sounds yummy!

You should remember, suggums. Hibbies is always invited **smootches**

Now ya done it. You gotta send everyone on the forum a plate of it now!

How about everybody make it and report back, lol ;)

ChocoChick
03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Mark, washing it is no biggie. Just place in a fine mesh colander and run water over for a few minutes. Or you can buy the stuff in the box but it is way cheaper to buy it in bulk from someplace like Whole Foods (plus it is organic). The boxes are pretty pricey.

One of my favorites is to cook it like rice, then add some feta cheese, sauteed onion, olive oil, spinach (cooked) and a dash of lemon. Very yummy and can be eaten warm or cold.

Mark1T
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey Mark, washing it is no biggie. Just place in a fine mesh colander and run water over for a few minutes. Or you can buy the stuff in the box but it is way cheaper to buy it in bulk from someplace like Whole Foods (plus it is organic). The boxes are pretty pricey.

One of my favorites is to cook it like rice, then add some feta cheese, sauteed onion, olive oil, spinach (cooked) and a dash of lemon. Very yummy and can be eaten warm or cold.

Well, I was wondering where the Chick of Chocolate was :cool: That recipe sounds good. Thanks! :)

Hey a question from my OP: Can you feasibly put some Quinoa in the blender with Flax and protein? Since Quinoa is seeds, seems like you could.

ChocoChick
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, I was wondering where the Chick of Chocolate was :cool: That recipe sounds good. Thanks! :)

Hey a question from my OP: Can you feasibly put some Quinoa in the blender with Flax and protein? Since Quinoa is seeds, seems like you could.

Well, that doesn't sound very yummy to me. I suppose you could try it. The question I have is: Why? Seems to me that you defeat the purpose of eating a whole grain when you process it. :confused:

Flax has to be ground in order for your body to obtain the nurtients from it (otherwise it just passes through). But quinoa is best for you eaten whole (after cooking).

Mark1T
03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, that doesn't sound very yummy to me. I suppose you could try it. The question I have is: Why? Seems to me that you defeat the purpose of eating a whole grain when you process it. :confused:

Flax has to be ground in order for your body to obtain the nurtients from it (otherwise it just passes through). But quinoa is best for you eaten whole (after cooking).

Oooooooh. Ok. Why? I was just thinking if I could add it to my protein shakes like I do ground flax seeds, it would make for an even greater protein and fiber quickie. But, if quinoa is better for you cooked, then that is what I will do.

Thank a bunch :)

anti-bonk
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I asked my friend for her quinoa recipe; so I can't take credit for this one. She is what I refer to as a recovering vegetarian, and has alot of great vegetarian recipes.

Spicy Quinoa Chili.

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp hot pepper oil or olive oil
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 10 oz can copped tomatoes with green chile peppers, undrained
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
4 plum tomatoes, chopped

In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in broth, water, undrained canned tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and coriander. Stir in quinoa.

Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in plum tomatoes.

Mark1T
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks, anti-bonk. That is creative. I think I will probably be using quinoa like I do rice for a change. Brown rice I eat weekly, but quinoa has more protein and more fiber. Heck, I'll probably keep both around.

Thanks for all of the comments.