PDA

View Full Version : O/T Non BB heating the home rant

Bando
03-29-2008, 08:08 PM
We heat our home with a pellet stove and have an old furnace as a backup. The stove started acting funny this morning and at lunchtime, died. I'm decent with mechanical stuff and determined that one of the auger motors is near death. After 7 hours of disassembling, oiling, cleaning, reading schematics, reassembling, I now have to get up every few minutes to turn the auger by hand until I can get new motor from Virginia, next Thursday.

The house is 71 now but it's 21 outside, and at some point I'll need sleep. Any electric motor (particularly Merkle-Korff) experts in the house?

Time to turn the auger..

Skidmarx
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
When I read stories like that, I'm glad I live in Florida. ;)

Sorry, that's no help I know. :D

lukamar
03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
We heat our home with a pellet stove and have an old furnace as a backup. The stove started acting funny this morning and at lunchtime, died.
now have to get up every few minutes to turn the auger by hand .

Have you considered turning on the backup furnace? Seems an all too simple solution:D

Bando
03-29-2008, 08:19 PM
It is a help you reminded me....

time to turn the auger.

this is getting old...

Bando
03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Have you considered turning on the backup furnace? Seems an all too simple solution:D

It will kick in if the main room gets below 60, it runs on fuel oil which is around $3.60/gal and we have maybe 40 gallons in the tank. It's inefficient to run but we won't freeze.

time to turn the auger..

dsharp9000
03-29-2008, 08:33 PM
It will kick in if the main room gets below 60, it runs on fuel oil which is around $3.60/gal and we have maybe 40 gallons in the tank. It's inefficient to run but we won't freeze.

time to turn the auger..

i remember my dad in the 1970's burning coal --- it was cheap and burned hot -- kept us warm --- i know its not environmentally friendly; but the hell with the tree huggers as its better than going after the trees....

lukamar
03-29-2008, 08:56 PM
i remember my dad in the 1970's burning coal --- it was cheap and burned hot -- kept us warm --- i know its not environmentally friendly;

I bought a combination coal/wood stove for my lake place in the 80's. I met a guy who worked on the docks and he filled my PU with about a ton and a half of this low grade coal that i took up there. I could light the thing and it would burn for 3 days but smelled like a sulfa factory..

At $3.60/gal it may be cheaper to bundle the family up and sit in the car...LOL I just paid my 2 month gas bill and it was $210 and I thought I got robbed..:D Maybe it's not that bad after all...LOL

Bando
03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
At $3.60/gal it may be cheaper to bundle the family up ..... We've got electric blankets and space heaters, I'm just worried about what the wife will say when she wakes up with the hamster in our bed...

Bando
03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
i remember my dad in the 1970's burning coal --- it was cheap and burned hot -- kept us warm --- i know its not environmentally friendly; but the hell with the tree huggers as its better than going after the trees....
mmm fail.

I burn wood pellets that are byproducts of furniture and hardwood dealers, essentially waste - compressed into fuel. I always back hug a tree when I'm in the woods hunting deer.

I love nature, especially when I can eat and burn it as God intended.

Bando
03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
and I turn the auger again. No electric motor experts in the house I guess...

Tyrbolift
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
and I turn the auger again. No electric motor experts in the house I guess...I'm guessing that not a lot here are familiar with what the auger does or what the motor is for...a blower fan?

biggaz
03-30-2008, 01:11 AM
mmm fail.

I love nature, especially when I can eat and burn it as God intended.

LMAO....It's called recycling now.

IR45N
03-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Crap always happens on the weekend. Sorry to hear that.

Guessing the auger feeds the pellets or somehow keeps things moving.

Get hold of your vet & see if they'll board the hamster for a few days.

Motel for the family for a few days; budget motel.

Did you order the moter & won't arrive til Thurs? If not, can you take a day off & try to get this fixed sooner than that?

Rental place; rent one or two space heaters if they have those.

Bando
03-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm guessing that not a lot here are familiar with what the auger does or what the motor is for...a blower fan?

The motor turns an auger that feeds wood pellets into the "burn pot"

joestrom2002
03-30-2008, 08:38 AM
when you turn it by hand does the motor kick on?
If it does maybe condenser if it has one.
if it doesn't take motor out read on side of motor to see what power it runs on and find something to feed that power directly , if motor works problem somewhere else.
key question ,does the motor run when you manually turn it?
Joe
ps watch them fingers :-)

Do_Somethin
03-30-2008, 08:50 AM
It's 21 outside and you have the heat on?

djl_ottawa
03-30-2008, 09:19 AM
It's 21 outside and you have the heat on?

Remember he is american :> that is 21 F. not 21C. For us that is a sunny day outside :P

Mad Mark
03-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Maybe you can gear up a little treadmill to it .................and let the hamster run on it LOL................I gotta go throw some wood in the stove.....-10 C here today, nice spring day, LOL