PDA

View Full Version : traps

BandApart
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
could having a mixed grip on deadlifts make one trap a lot bigger than the other? i do double overhand for shrugs, but mixed on deads. my right trap(underhand grip) is huge and my left is small. could this be the reason? also if i work them equally from now on(double overhand and db shrugs) should they even out, or should i try to even them out by working the left more?

baker
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I also have noticed a difference in trap size. My right one is a tad bigger.

BandApart
03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I also have noticed a difference in trap size. My right one is a tad bigger.

do u use a mixed grip on shrugs or deads?

Arlecchino
03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Mine appear to be the same size and I never alternate grips on the deadlift. I do a lot of other trap work though.

Minotaur
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
You could wind up with an imbalance. Just switch your grip occasionally. Or use straps (no he did NOT say the "s" word... "straps" :eek: :D) and use a double overhand grip.

BandApart
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
yea mixed grip on deads is the only reason i can think of. do u think switching to double overhand and doing db shrugs will even them out without having to work the right one less?

BandApart
03-29-2008, 08:05 PM
thnx for the help thats what i was hoping to hear.

Karl_Hungus
03-29-2008, 08:06 PM
could having a mixed grip on deadlifts make one trap a lot bigger than the other? i do double overhand for shrugs, but mixed on deads. my right trap(underhand grip) is huge and my left is small. could this be the reason? also if i work them equally from now on(double overhand and db shrugs) should they even out, or should i try to even them out by working the left more?

You should counterbalance your grips so that each hand is both over and under equally often. That is what I do to avoid this kind of a problem. Personally, I wouldn't work one side more than the other .... In my experience, the body never compensates the way you think it will. Just make sure that you work them equally and that you counterbalance your grip. Also, keep in mind that asymmetries are normal ... almost everybody has some asymmetries. My left arm is smaller than right, my left pec is larger than right, and my left calf is also larger.

baker
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
do u use a mixed grip on shrugs or deads?

I used to do both with the mixed grip, it was part of the powerlifting training. This was probably incorrect looking back on it. I was too fat to notice at the time.

Tyrbolift
03-29-2008, 11:55 PM
You could wind up with an imbalance. Just switch your grip occasionally. Or use straps (no he did NOT say the "s" word... "straps" :eek: :D) and use a double overhand grip.It's so obvious. Mixed grip doesn't mean you use the same over-under hand every set! Switch off every set and alternate!

jocularric
03-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Mixed grip and the slight rotation of your humerus shouldn't effect how your traps pull--they insert on the scapula or clavicle. If you're concerned switch your mixed grip every set just in case, strap up, or try other shrug variations.

Hise (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_142short), Overhead, and Kelso shrugs (http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/latshrug.html) are some options that take rotation out of the equation.