PDA

View Full Version : Supplement question...

classic308
03-29-2008, 03:05 PM
46 years old, used to buy all the muscle mags 30 years ago, etc. have lost weight through weights/cardio but am now looking to this forum for advice....

I am 6 feet tall and currently 205 lbs.

Specifically, I am looking to continue toning up while continuing to lose weight (read fat)..I train very early in the morning and usually do 20 minutes of cardio on my treadmill/stairmaster then hit the iron. My question is what type of supplements should I be using??? I see that most of the nitric oxide products say to take it 30-45 min before workouts but that won't work for me...any other suggestions as to how I can proceed? Currently taking animal paks with a protein shake after my workout and some protein bars but that's it.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum and I thank all of you in advance for advice...

If only I had the internet and this forum 30 years ago...THANKS!

boathead
03-29-2008, 04:18 PM
i personally get nothing out of n.o., but that's just me.

i do what you do: protein and vitamins, but i also do creatine and fish and flax oil.

others may differ, but i am not a believer that you'd need much more than that. work hard, eat right, and be patient. good luck.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/type.htm

Bombgrade
03-30-2008, 03:49 AM
I just started to us an NO supplement ( it was on sale) and it makes quite a difference. It has only been two days, but I felt a lift (no pun) and more stamina. That is important since I work out on an empty stomach (trying to lose fat too).

I take it (SuperPump 250) before I start my warm up cardio (20 minutes) and I fell it towards the end. It does peak later, but it works for me this way.

Watch out for the side effects of NO though. I haven't seen them except for some nausea, but others have.

Good luck.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-30-2008, 04:55 AM
If you are "toning" forget all suppliments except for a daily vit/mineral taken with food. If you will place your right hand on Bill Pearl's "Keys to the Inner Universe" and swear never ever to use the "tone" word again, your Brothers of Iron in here will guide you thru supplimentation that goes along with Bodybuilding....a diet regimine which includes some heavy ass lifting, producing some amazing life changing results.

classic308
03-31-2008, 05:27 PM
If you are "toning" forget all suppliments except for a daily vit/mineral taken with food. If you will place your right hand on Bill Pearl's "Keys to the Inner Universe" and swear never ever to use the "tone" word again, your Brothers of Iron in here will guide you thru supplimentation that goes along with Bodybuilding....a diet regimine which includes some heavy ass lifting, producing some amazing life changing results.

consider it done!!!

bulldog71
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
46 years old, used to buy all the muscle mags 30 years ago, etc. have lost weight through weights/cardio but am now looking to this forum for advice....

I am 6 feet tall and currently 205 lbs.

Specifically, I am looking to continue toning up while continuing to lose weight (read fat)..I train very early in the morning and usually do 20 minutes of cardio on my treadmill/stairmaster then hit the iron. My question is what type of supplements should I be using??? I see that most of the nitric oxide products say to take it 30-45 min before workouts but that won't work for me...any other suggestions as to how I can proceed? Currently taking animal paks with a protein shake after my workout and some protein bars but that's it.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum and I thank all of you in advance for advice...

If only I had the internet and this forum 30 years ago...THANKS!

Do you eat at all before you go to the gym? If not, then I would move the cardio to post lifting and save what little energy I had to work on getting some muscle mass. It's 10x easier to get rid of the fat if you have more mass on your bones. That being said, if you want to take something that says 30 mins. before workout, take it when you get up, then get ready to go to the gym, and by the time you drive over there, you'll be ready. FWIW, the best pre-workout stuff I've taken, that is still legal and in it's original formulation is Universal's Shock Therapy. WOW is all I can say!

johnnyironboard
04-01-2008, 03:47 AM
I never had much luck with the "muscle building" supplements. I supplement a good diet with vitamins and minerals along with some other proven stuff- fish oil and the like. N.O supps are just Arginine (an amino acid) so give it a try if you would like.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-01-2008, 04:42 AM
OK...308, now that your are on board as a Bodybuilder. This is a lifestyle dominated by diet and supported by time under load (weights). The life style does not need to be a 24/7 never cheating regimine unless you are in the final 6 months of a contest prep....which 90% of the folks in here are not. It is a life style where you are in touch with yourself from inward to abstract. But let me not get into writing a new book here...you asked about suppliments.

Suppliment are just that...supplimenting the diet and not taken instead of good clean food. I must mention the food a bit because eating crappy negates your suppliments. Crap includes things like eccessive alcohol, anything fried, sugar, white flour (yes pasta), fatty and or preserved meats.

Most of our fruits and veggies come from fields that have been over farmed for decades and only get an annual zap of nitrogen and phosphate fertlizers to stimulate production. Thus a full spectrum vitamin/mineral taken with food should be included. In any event....eat fresh green veggies.

One gram of protein per body weight pound has been the montra for Bodybuilders since I was in my teens. Fish, chicken, turkey, xtra low fat red meat like buffalo burgers, egg whites and a good whey protein drink taken over the day in 5-6 meals is the trick. You can suppliment with a good Omega 3/6/9 formula. The good fats.

High protein mean drink loads of water. Always stay hydrated.

Creatine is OK as is L-Glutamine. 5-10 grams on the former and 15 grams on the latter after workout. Creatine can add intra cellular fluids and a bit of strength if you consume little or no red meats. L-Glutamine is exausted during workouts and it can't hurt to replace it ASAP.

What ever blows your skirt up on stimulants before a workout. The NO products get a lot of hype in here...not from Baldie. Baldie loves caffeine.

Anyway that's my entry advise....we can get crazy later. I have some 2 dozen bottle of "stuff" on my shelf.