PDA

View Full Version : cutting, lifting heavy, and calory restriction

chodan9
03-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey guys,

I am trying to cut bodyfat, but I dont want to lose as little strength as possible, so I have been lifting heavy "well heavy for me anyway".
I realize cutting body fat requires a calory deficit.
My problem is on days where I do heavy compund lifts like squats and deads,
I feel like I am starving all day long, I cant seem to get enough food down my gullet. I try to eat clean but on those days I find it more difficult.
Deadlift days are the hardest for me in regards to keeping my diet clean.
Does anyone else have this problem?
On the plus side it has made it easier to gain mass, but its hard on the old fat loss side of things.

JChristian_1
03-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey guys,

I am trying to cut bodyfat, but I dont want to lose as little strength as possible, so I have been lifting heavy "well heavy for me anyway".
I realize cutting body fat requires a calory deficit.
My problem is on days where I do heavy compund lifts like squats and deads,
I feel like I am starving all day long, I cant seem to get enough food down my gullet. I try to eat clean but on those days I find it more difficult.
Deadlift days are the hardest for me in regards to keeping my diet clean.
Does anyone else have this problem?
On the plus side it has made it easier to gain mass, but its hard on the old fat loss side of things.

I was about to post a similar question. I bulked for January and February and managed to put on about 20 lb's .. and only went up a few BF percentage points.. now on the cut first week, I'm doing a carb cycle that has me eating about 2500 calories on my high carb day and all the way down to about 1500 calories on the low days... but I lost almost 10 lbs this week..
ie... my metabolism is just jacked ..so the sudden drop in cals in conjunction with the extra cardio .. and I chopped off some hard earned bulk.. bumming, but I caught it. So the calories are back up to about 3k on the carb day and 2k on the low..

I guess you are figuring it out as you go as well... it's a fine line.
when you say eat clean what is your diet like ?

chodan9
03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
when I'm eating clean I do oats for beakfast, a few protien shakes per day.
Lots of tuna, chicken, lean beef.
I cut out most processed sugars and white flour.
carbs are usually whole grains, the oats, I try to get some green veggies everyday, some days while bulking I would have cheat foods, but few full cheat days, and those were mostly during the holidays.
I have found it hard to switch modes from gaining mass to losing fat.
It's mostly mental I think. last summer my cutting diet was impeccable, but I was trying to lose the couch potato fat that I had gained over the years. I havent gained much BF % since then but I am up around 15 pounds in weight

JChristian_1
03-29-2008, 01:38 PM
carbs are usually whole grains, the oats, I try to get some green veggies everyday, some days while bulking I would have cheat foods, but few full cheat days, and those were mostly during the holidays.
It's mostly mental I think. last summer my cutting diet was impeccable, but I was trying to lose the couch potato fat that I had gained over the years. I havent gained much BF % since then but I am up around 15 pounds in weight

I'm no expert so I'm just throwin in my 2 cents..
Do you have your Macros down ?
1.5 grams of Protein per lb of LBM
1 Gram of complex carb
and around 20-40 g's of good fat ?

if not you should, it's a little bit of a pain but it's the only way to know what you are really doing...and you know I'm sure, as well... that Protein and Carbs are both 4 calories per gram and Fat is 9..
its actually pretty straight ahead once you have those down.. Again this is nothing novel and you can find this info anywhere, but I'm always amazed by how many people don't follow it... and then scratch their heads when they don't progress.

as for your diet.. the only thing that I can see right off the bat without knowing what your macro's look like is that any refined sugar or White flour is poison... I have managed to remove all refined sugar from the diet. Every once in a while I might have a small piece of candy.. I had some jelly Beans around easter ... about 10 over three days. But that was just because they're so bright and enticing :) I have little girls so it was a candy smorgasbord around my house for that week... but I don't touch the white bread or pizza at all.. also, I don't do the cheat day thing. Not when I am really trying to cut down. I will spend the next 8 weeks without any of either... and it won't be easy. But I plan on getting nasty shredded this year. I'm still a little on the small side so it won't mean much to anybody but me .. but at this stage I'm the only one that matters to me anyway :)

this was my last shot at a cut before I started cycling carbs which I like a lot...
My Cut Diet……..
December 18, 2007
7:00Aminos (Now Sports 1600mg L-Leucine
800mg L-Isoleucine
800mg L-Valine)
750mg CLA, 10CAL, 1G FAT
CARDIO (HIIT/MAX-OT)
7:30 5 EGG Busters 150cal, 30g protein, 5gCarb,0fat
8:30 1 cup of Oatmeal(steel cut/no sugar)190cal, 6g protein,32gcarb,4g fat
1 Banana 102 cal,1g protein,27g carb,0fat

9:00 Supplements (5gram Creatine Monohydrate
1000mg Tribulus
500mg Maca)
9:30 Lift

10:30 Post Supps, (now sports Arginine Power stack with Creatine)
60 cal,0 protein,15g carb,0 fat
(L-Arginine 600mg
L-Citruline 100mg
L-Norvaline 100mg
L-Ornithine 200mg
Creatine Monohydrate 3g,-14g
sugar/fructose) 3g Glutamine

10:30post meal Isopure Protein drink 210 cals,50g protein,0carb,0fat
5oz baked potato 180cal,4g protein,41gcarb,1gfat
11:30 Supps, CLA,4G FISH OIL 0,0, 5Gfat
Milk Thistle extract
L-Carnitine 3000mg

1:30 6oz skinless chicken breast broiled, 187cals,39protein,0 carbs, 5gfat
260g Rice and beans(brown and black) 240cals,8g protein,46gcarbo,2gfat

4:30 ON proComplex Protein ? shake 130cals, 27protein, 2carbs,1gfat
1 oz almonds (23 nuts) 164cals, 6gprotein, 6gcarbs, 15g fat

5:30 Fresh squeezed veggie juice 110cals,3g pro,2g carb,0gfat
supps, CLA/4G Fish oil ……..5gfat
100mg Tribulus/500mg Maca

7:30 6oz Chicken or fish 187cals.39protein,0carb,5fat
mixed veggies 1(cup) 110cals, 5g pro,29gcarb,1.5g fat
Salad. 1(cup) 33cals, 2.6pro,6.7carb,0fat

10:30 ON Procomplex 1/2 shake 130cal, 27pro,2carb,1fat
Totals
CAL PRO CARB FAT
2258 247 214 46
Works out to be a
44%/38%/18%, closer to a 40/40/20 but still leaning towards the Protein for muscle increase while blasting the fat.
Also all foods here are Organic …the Chicken is Free Range with no hormones or antibiotics… I will exchange the Chicken Dinner with Fish a couple of times a week, I also switch between the ON ProComplex Protein and Muscle Milk Light.. I really like the MM before bed.

kodlawnman
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM
chodan your pic does not look fat-I would just do your carb load before leg day

chodan9
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks!

btw
reps on your transformation! coming from an overweight heart attack victim to the level of fitness you have now is inspirational.
Keep it up!

JChristian_1
03-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks!

btw
reps on your transformation! coming from an overweight heart attack victim to the level of fitness you have now is inspirational.
Keep it up!

Thank you kindly.. but I have to shoot it right back at you ..."Free willy" LOL..:) wow you have really widdled yourself down brother, fantastic. I feel like a dork now runnin that last message as long as I did... you obviously know what's up. and I'll agree with the post above me, yer tighter than you think.... I think.

chodan9
03-29-2008, 02:13 PM
chodan your pic does not look fat-I would just do your carb load before leg day

well I'm not fat, that picture is a bit old though, about a year old now.
I have put on around 15 pounds since then, mostly muscle fortunatley, I will probably lean out a bit during the summer though, I tend to be more motivated during warmer weather,
I need to take some updated pics bad!

dsharp9000
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM

i was on a similar diet to you and it really made me feel fatigued when lifting. I had to up my carbs and get some "sugar" in pre/post workout. I did this by buying some powdered gatorade and making it half strength and drinking it pre/post and during my workouts ( rather than just water)so i got some carbs in as you need some sugar for glycogen replacement otherwise you just wont have energy. The other thing i ran into when i was on low carb (and also drinking a lot of just water) was cramping.

At any rate, your symptons sound very similar to what i experienced when i was not getting enough carbs as well as sugar.... powdered gatorade has dextrose in it; powerade (powder form) has more dextrose... either works for me and makes a big difference in my energy levels.... something to think about...

JChristian_1
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I had to up my carbs and get some "sugar" in pre/post workout.

X2..
agreed
MY POST DRINK
(now sports Arginine Power stack with Creatine)
has Fructose in it.. not high fructose though. I don't buy into the "sugar" thing.. no offense.. but I think you can accomplish this without the refined sugar and or High fructose/corn syrup..