PDA

View Full Version : 800m training

footballers77
03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
I am a freshman in high school and i run the 800m in a PR of 2:08.56. We have our county, district, and regional meets left this year. After the season is over, most people have told me to run cross country. I am thinking of doing it since it will be good to build up my base. My BIG fear is that I will lose my speed for the 800m. I have heard that doing strides after my long runs will keep my fast twitch fibers active. Should I do separate speed workouts 1-2 times a week during the summer? Is it possible for someone to reccommend a summer training program for me (i will be working 830-4 during the summer if that helps) I am not training to run cross country, but I am building my base for the 800m through xc training. Can someone please help me on this as my big long term goal is to break 2 minutes as a sophomore. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

DavidJr74
03-29-2008, 08:51 AM
I am a freshman in high school and i run the 800m in a PR of 2:08.56. We have our county, district, and regional meets left this year. After the season is over, most people have told me to run cross country. I am thinking of doing it since it will be good to build up my base. My BIG fear is that I will lose my speed for the 800m. I have heard that doing strides after my long runs will keep my fast twitch fibers active. Should I do separate speed workouts 1-2 times a week during the summer? Is it possible for someone to reccommend a summer training program for me (i will be working 830-4 during the summer if that helps) I am not training to run cross country, but I am building my base for the 800m through xc training. Can someone please help me on this as my big long term goal is to break 2 minutes as a sophomore. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

Since your running the 800 meter dash you should have a workout where you run 400 meter dashes (explosion and acceleration for the 800), 800 meter dashes, and 1600 meter dashes (to work on endurance for it)

footballers77
03-30-2008, 02:52 PM
does anybody know of offseason workouts?

BadgerNation
03-30-2008, 03:10 PM
just run dude lol

do ladders of 400m, 600m, 800m, 1000m, 1200m

core workouts will also help you alot, make sure your core is strong

footballers77
03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
what about during the summer shouldn't i be doing some type of base training? any help would be great?

Buttershap
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Your long term plan should definitely include cross country since it will enable you to run for longer periods to improve VO2 max without the negative effect of repetitive strikes on a hard track. Repeat hill climbs are good, run up jog/walk down. Try running a few downhills fast, too. not too steep a gradient though.

Also you need the real speed of 200m runs on the track, so that when you're racing all out at 800 you're not running as fast as sprint, you have a reserve!

PM for more and see my new website www.teen-gym.com