PDA

View Full Version : How Can I fix This Grip Problem?

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 05:19 AM
This was particularly fustrating. Although they are only 80lb d/b's they definitely felt manageable for 5 reps. Problem was I could barely hold onto them. My struggling like a lamb in a mud puddle was in an attempt to keep the d/b's in my hands. How do I fix this? I can't curls 100's if I can't even hold onto them!!!! HELP!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEuwAC4197s

proc23
03-29-2008, 05:21 AM
work your forearms and take a thick towl wrap it around a pullup bar and hang as long as possible

SR800
03-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Use hooks or straps, at a certain point larger muscles will require more weight than the smaller muscles of the grip can accommodate. Believe me, even with straps, when you are repping 2xs your body weight deads or rowing 1.5xs your body weight, it won't hurt your grip;)

ooops, saw your dead video, wow those are some serious strong semi SLDLs, with some straps and using your legs, I bet you could lift the front end of a mid size sedan:D

ectoBgone
03-29-2008, 06:23 AM
First, let me say you're a beast dude. That deadlifting video was impressive and you're obviously way up there in strength.

That said, there was quite a bit of swinging and leaning in those curls. It may be the grip was a problem because this is just too much weight in general.

Arlecchino
03-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Farmer's walk is good for holding onto DB's.

Cgb6810
03-29-2008, 06:57 AM
First, let me say you're a beast dude. That deadlifting video was impressive and you're obviously way up there in strength.

That said, there was quite a bit of swinging and leaning in those curls. It may be the grip was a problem because this is just too much weight in general.

Yeah. That was a lot of weight for curls. If you dropped the weight and tightened up the form you might benefit more. But, if you just want to get in some heavy cheat curls you could use straps.

oldsuperman
03-29-2008, 07:18 AM
If you wanna hold em, all you need to do is strap em in.

I don't quite get what is the purpose of doing em like that? Yet, if it's just to see how much weight you can heft up, then heft away!

It kinda reminds me of one of those things I would do when I was young and dumb and my mom would say, "Stop doing that!! When you get my age you'll regret it!"

Momma was right! :D

BergMuscle
03-29-2008, 07:29 AM
I've had similar problems, but with as much weight as you're throwing around, big guy! :D My larger muscles needed more weight but my grip strength was limiting me. Thank G*d for straps! Upped my numbers on my next training day, and I can focus on the muscles that I'm trying to build (and work my forearm and grip strength later).

Same reason I wear gloves. I don't think about my grip, only about my form and the tension in my muscles.

Whiskeyjack
03-29-2008, 08:04 AM
quite a bit of swinging and leaning in those curls. It may be the grip was a problem because this is just too much weight in general.

^^^^
Agreed.

Fishhawk
03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
My first thought watching that vid was, go a little lighter, use good form and your grip will come around.

dsharp9000
03-29-2008, 08:26 AM

I agree -- to much wieght; you were swinging so much i immediately thought you should not be lifting that much. I will also swing; but its not until the end when i am trying to get a couple extra reps in; however, you start with a swing.

With your deadlift being so high; do not know why you cant hang on; what exercises are you doing before as maybe you have sometype of prefatigue going on; not sure if this is cause; but something to think about...

dbx
03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I'd say you were probably 10# over your ability. I didn't see a grip problem, I saw someone using too much weight.

Also, I guess I'd have to assume at this point that you were using VersaGripps or something similar in the other video (DL's)? I didn't notice you wrapping straps, and I assumed you were just using gloves.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Admittedly I was anxious to see what I was still able to do w/ curls. This was my 1rst REAL week back, so was just checking status. I'll be more responsible & plod along w/ an appropriate amount of weight. However, I'm normally form conscious, but text book is'nt a priority. I feel a little cheat, swing, whatever you wanna call it is beneficial. My goals are lift as much weight as I can without something breaking or getting ripped from bone. Additionally I want to get as muscular as my body is capable of using supps from the public consumer retail market.

dsharp9000
03-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Admittedly I was anxious to see what I was still able to do w/ curls. This was my 1rst REAL week back, so was just checking status. I'll be more responsible & plod along w/ an appropriate amount of weight. However, I'm normally form conscious, but text book is'nt a priority. I feel a little cheat, swing, whatever you wanna call it is beneficial. My goals are lift as much weight as I can without something breaking or getting ripped from bone. Additionally I want to get as muscular as my body is capable of using supps from the public consumer retail market.

I cheat also and agree that a little cheat and swing is beneficial; however, sometimes to much cheat is counterproductive. in looking at your form; you appeared to be dropping your shoulder, your entire body, swinging, doing a lot of things that do not work your bicep; if your focus is biceps maybe you might want to think about at least being able to do several reps with perfect form... and then cheat...

oldsuperman
03-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Admittedly I was anxious to see what I was still able to do w/ curls. I feel a little cheat, swing.

Those are not curls, anymore than you calling it, "a little cheat, swing." LOL!

Thatsa alota cheata swinga! LOL!

Hey tho kid, have at it! Swing away! Most of the people on here won't put in half the intensity you're putting in! You're gonna get some good size if you keep at it with the intensity you put into it.

chodan9
03-29-2008, 09:02 AM
how far along in your workout were you?
had you already done deads at this point?
could have just been fatigue

Olie
03-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Captains of Crush
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html
Work your grip just like any other muscle group.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I had already completed deadlift, pulldown triple drop set, machine row triple drop set. OldSuperMan, thank you. Man I just wanna get as massive as possible. I admit I get "overzealous" sometimes. I am trying to remind myself that slow & steady wins the race. I really, really get very impatient, very fustrated w/ myself, & my body. That's my own demon though. This is a great site & I'm very glad to be amongst you folks!!!!

Whiskeyjack
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I had already completed deadlift, pulldown triple drop set, machine row triple drop set. OldSuperMan, thank you. Man I just wanna get as massive as possible. I admit I get "overzealous" sometimes. I am trying to remind myself that slow & steady wins the race. I really, really get very impatient, very fustrated w/ myself, & my body. That's my own demon though. This is a great site & I'm very glad to be amongst you folks!!!!

HDF - glad to have you here, too, especially as you have the guts to both try to go heavy, with or without form, and post your own vids. With you it's clearly a matter of form and time before you reach your goals. Good stuff.

boathead
03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
your grip can handle 80's no problem.

the thing is, is that you are problem handling 100's, as the swing that you use to start is adding a centrifugal force component.

i have nothing to add regarding your grip strength. i only hope to be able to someday approach what you are already struggling with.

chodan9
03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
HDF - glad to have you here, too, especially as you have the guts to both try to go heavy, with or without form, and post your own vids. With you it's clearly a matter of form and time before you reach your goals. Good stuff.

I agree
this thread has helped me also pinpoint things in my own dead lifts that need to be addressed.

alec_braithwait
03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
If you don't like grips or wraps, how about trying a pair of gloves.

If your hands are sweating even slightly, your grip and confidence in the lift will be reduced.

bodyhard
03-29-2008, 12:43 PM
HEAVY, mad props for you man, but your problem is not your grip, that is the least of your problems in this lift, the problem is the fact that

1) You are lifting way to heavy a weight for the movement.

2) You are not doing a curl more of a heft/hoist up of a dumbbell

When doing a curl the only movement that should be "moving" is your forearms and some slight swing if you are going to go heavy.

abcreations
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
HEAVY, mad props for you man, but your problem is not your grip, that is the least of your problems in this lift, the problem is the fact that

1) You are lifting way to heavy a weight for the movement.

2) You are not doing a curl more of a heft/hoist up of a dumbbell

When doing a curl the only movement that should be "moving" is your forearms and some slight swing if you are going to go heavy.

X2 :)