PDA

View Full Version : Form Critique Please

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Please excuse the comment @ the end. Some are just EASILY impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4g2kdclsw

ntrllftr
03-28-2008, 06:36 PM
"Form Critique Please"

First movement is drop your butt. You seem to be using ALL back, and not your legs. Drop your butt down first, lean back (will feel like your gonna fall on your butt), than straighten and lift.
Watch the video and watch your butt. It doesn't drop at all.

Look slightly upward. You are either looking down or straight ahead. Looking slightly upward will help you keep your chest up.

I know I am not the best at practicing my preach at the deads but...

bulldog71
03-28-2008, 06:40 PM
^^^^ I agree. Your butt looked too high. Not enough drop and your back looked a little bit rounded. My $.02

Skidmarx
03-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm no expert but...

You weren't using much lower body on this lifts.

Nice poundage BTW.

Wayne Evans
03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Evenin'....

I agree with ntrllfr and bulldog71.

When I watched I cringed a bit thinking your back was way too involved and you were looking down rather than looking more forward and 'leaning back' as stated earlier.

Happy Friday....

chodan9
03-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not too experienced so take this for what its worth, those looked almost like straight leg deads,

JOHN GARGANI
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not too experienced so take this for what its worth, those looked almost like straight leg deads,

exactly, and that for me was a mind blower, because if you could lift THAT much in a straight legged dead, imagine what your max might be if you get more lower body into it!!!

you are one strong dude there HeavyDuty!!!!

chodan9
03-28-2008, 07:37 PM
exactly, and that for me was a mind blower, because if you could lift THAT much in a straight legged dead, imagine what your max might be if you get more lower body into it!!!

you are one strong dude there HeavyDuty!!!!

thats what I'm thinking
500 pounds probably aint that far off.

tjrob
03-28-2008, 07:58 PM

Yep looked like straight legged to me too, da@m my back would be in shreds eek...

dbx
03-28-2008, 08:06 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly. In fact, while I was starting at the top of the thread I was actually wondering what exercise he was getting critiqued for! lofl.

And yeah, if he used his legs...some serious weight on the horizon.

bodyhard
03-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Dude you make it look easy (SLDL that is) if you drop your butt, get your legs into that lift I think you would do 500 already!

You are one strong Mo-Fo-ker!!

smitsky
03-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you have gotten some good advice here regarding your form. If you get a chance, take a look at the video in my BodySpace of Femis Lambrionidis, and look at his Deadlift form.

It looks as if you were once near a 600 lb Deadlift. What is your bodyweight? Is that 365 lbs in the video?

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Lot's of great advice, I very much appreciate the input. I'm 6ft 235lbs. Although 45lbs of that is my fat, nasty gut. I don't know how else to do a deadlift, that's how I've always done them. I'm gonna try to make the suggested changes. Yeah that's just 365, nothing exciting. I AM trying to monitor my diet. I have done some crude calculations & I thnk I need to be around 5,000 cals/day for muscle growth. I'm eating quality, except for Saturday or sunday. I eat whatever I want, which is usually something like two totally loaded triples from Wendy's. But thats my 1 cheat meal for the week. Also I've only had 1 coke zero for the week, I love those things!!! I'm like a human vacuum cleaner I could eat all day!!! Thanks very much guys your input is greatly appreciated.

SR800
03-29-2008, 05:45 AM
That is some serious weight with such incorrect form, amazing. Really look at some dead videos and then practice with some lighter weights. I agree that if you used proper from you could move some damn heavy duty IRON. Impressed!

smitsky
03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
That is some serious weight with such incorrect form, amazing. Really look at some dead videos and then practice with some lighter weights. I agree that if you used proper from you could move some damn heavy duty IRON. Impressed!

X2

Well said ;)

smitsky
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Lot's of great advice, I very much appreciate the input. I'm 6ft 235lbs. Although 45lbs of that is my fat, nasty gut. I don't know how else to do a deadlift, that's how I've always done them. I'm gonna try to make the suggested changes. Yeah that's just 365, nothing exciting. I AM trying to monitor my diet. I have done some crude calculations & I thnk I need to be around 5,000 cals/day for muscle growth. I'm eating quality, except for Saturday or sunday. I eat whatever I want, which is usually something like two totally loaded triples from Wendy's. But thats my 1 cheat meal for the week. Also I've only had 1 coke zero for the week, I love those things!!! I'm like a human vacuum cleaner I could eat all day!!! Thanks very much guys your input is greatly appreciated.

As SR800 said, "look at some dead videos and then practice with some lighter weights." I provided you with one of these vids.

365 X 5 is exciting IMO :)

Diet is a different story.

Here's a funny story. I just competed in the USAPL New Jersey Bench Press Championship. There I met Niko Hulslander. He's 300+ lbs and has Deadlifted 800 lbs. My training partner were going to order some food and we said, "Niko, do you want anything?" Niko said, "Order the right side of the menu for me."

Am I telling you not to watch your diet? No.

Eating healthy is important. Correct Deadlift form and diet are two different subjects. Let's correct the form first :D

Niko Hulslander: http://www.garageinkpowerlifting.com/bio-dennis-hulslander.html

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I watch that Femis guy, WOW!!! I never thought about getting my butt down & looking up @ the same time. Just getting into that position I feel my legs ready for launch. That will definitely take some getting used to, but if it'll help me lift more I'll do it. Man just think how great it would feel to PROPERLY deadlift 600lbs x 5 reps, not to mention what that would do for the traps!!! I think I just found a long term goal for myself, I think THAT would be something to get excited about!!!!

smitsky
03-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I watch that Femis guy, WOW!!! I never thought about getting my butt down & looking up @ the same time. Just getting into that position I feel my legs ready for launch. That will definitely take some getting used to, but if it'll help me lift more I'll do it. Man just think how great it would feel to PROPERLY deadlift 600lbs x 5 reps, not to mention what that would do for the traps!!! I think I just found a long term goal for myself, I think THAT would be something to get excited about!!!!

You could definitley do that.

Are you on a 5 X 5 routine? I notice that you equate lifts in terms of 5's.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Here's my heavy phase workout
* I go as heavy & hard as joint, bones, ligaments will allow.

MONDAY
SQUATS 2 X 5
45* LEG PRESS 2 X 5
LEG EXTENSIONS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
LEG CURLS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
STANDING CALVE RAISES 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET

WEDNESDAY
INCLINE BENCH PRESS 2 X 5
MACHINE PRESS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
INCLINE D/B FLYES 2 X 8
POWER CLEANS 2 X 5
SHRUGS 2 X 10 / OR 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET W/ D/B'S
ONE ARM D/B/ SIDE LATERALS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
LYING TRICEP EXTENSION 2 X 8
PUSHDOWN 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
SEATED CALVE RAISES 2 X 10
INCLINE SITUPS 1 X 50

FRIDAY
DEADLIFT 2 X 5
PULLDOWNS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
ROWS 2 X 5 / OR 1 TRIPLE DROP SET
HYPEREXTENSIONS 1 X 20
INCLINE SITUPS 1 X 50

I'm gonna do this for 6 wks. Then I'll take 1 wk off to heal fully. I'll do 1 week of light/moderate exercises/weights, then back to the torture fest!!!!!!!!! I feel cycling intensity is quite important for consistent growth/improvement.

smitsky
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Here's my heavy phase workout
* I go as heavy & hard as joint, bones, ligaments will allow.

MONDAY
SQUATS 2 X 5
45* LEG PRESS 2 X 5
LEG EXTENSIONS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
LEG CURLS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
STANDING CALVE RAISES 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET

WEDNESDAY
INCLINE BENCH PRESS 2 X 5
MACHINE PRESS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
INCLINE D/B FLYES 2 X 8
POWER CLEANS 2 X 5
SHRUGS 2 X 10 / OR 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET W/ D/B'S
ONE ARM D/B/ SIDE LATERALS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
LYING TRICEP EXTENSION 2 X 8
PUSHDOWN 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
INCLINE SITUPS 1 X 50

FRIDAY
DEADLIFT 2 X 5
PULLDOWNS 1 X TRIPLE DROP SET
ROWS 2 X 5 / OR 1 TRIPLE DROP SET
HYPEREXTENSIONS 1 X 20
INCLINE SITUPS 1 X 50

I'm gonna do this for 6 wks. Then I'll take 1 wk off to heal fully. I'll do 1 week of light/moderate exercises/weights, then back to the torture fest!!!!!!!!! I feel cycling intensity is quite important for consistent growth/improvement.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with it.

Start a training Journal, so we can keep up with your progress.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106702111

jtroster
03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Take a look at this deadlift;
54AHwpYmGuE
Its the mod boyscouT.

smitsky
03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Take a look at this deadlift;
54AHwpYmGuE

Good post.

I think this brings up a good point: One often loses form on multiple rep sets with a touch-and-go execution. The trainee in this video is setting up with a flat/arched back for each rep.

My form is much better when I do what he's doing, as opposed to touch-and-go, where my back will begin to round on subsequent reps...

ironwill2008
03-29-2008, 11:53 AM

Good lift, but as the OP said, you need to get your butt down. If you correct that, I'd guess you've got a 600 deadlift in you, judging from what you can do stiff-legged. Also, watching you walk that bar back to the rack bothered me. I think you're unnecessarily risking a big injury. Just my 2c. Stay with it . Good luck.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Iron Will I'm in Winfield WV, where are you @?

namtrag
03-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Good Lord, if I tried it that way I would be in the hospital!

Go here and watch the vids.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/15160/post/new/#NEW

ironwill2008
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Iron Will I'm in Winfield WV, where are you @?

West Virginia.

ohiobowhunter75
03-29-2008, 04:18 PM
nice videos guys.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey OB75 do any bowhunting around crown city, or cooper hollow?

smitsky
03-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Here's amt4331 doing 425 X 5 @ around 185 lbs bodyweight.

FtfwNqwFjy0

~S.

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
That's what I'm talkin bout!!!

Stenn
03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Here's a web page that links to several videos of Mark Rippetoe teaching the deadlift. Deadlift education doesn't get any better than this unless you read his book.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Power

Whiskeyjack
03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Here's amt4331 doing 425 X 5 @ around 185 lbs bodyweight.
~S.

Interesting that he's not using the underhand-overhand grip.

smitsky
03-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting that he's not using the underhand-overhand grip.

Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell is one of the afficionados who recommend a "hook grip."

The Hook Grip is mentioned in this Olympic Weightlifting Forum:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/2003_06.html

Do a search for "hook" on the page.

Whiskeyjack
03-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell is one of the afficionados who recommend a "hook grip."

The Hook Grip is mentioned in this Olympic Weightlifting Forum:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/2003_06.html

Do a search for "hook" on the page.

No I'm with you on the hook grip; I used it perforce when I dabbled with olympic lifting. It's just that, hook or no, I found greatly enhanced power with the over-underhand when deadlifting - without straps that is. I never used straps much then or now.

abcreations
03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Not to be the party pooper but you can't really call that a SLDL either. Way to much movement in the knee's and doesn't keep his back straight. It' looks like a mix. Work on your form. Either one or the other. Practice on regular deads and I think you will be over 500 in no time.

I do SLDL and have noticed alot of stares. At first I thought I was just doing it wrong. Then I realized it was the butt in the air. LOL. Have to work out my hammies some how.

bodyhard
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Not to be the party pooper but you can't really call that a SLDL either. Way to much movement in the knee's and doesn't keep his back straight. It' looks like a mix. Work on your form. Either one or the other. Practice on regular deads and I think you will be over 500 in no time.

I do SLDL and have noticed alot of stares. At first I thought I was just doing it wrong. Then I realized it was the butt in the air. LOL. Have to work out my hammies some how.

;) :D :D

Stenn
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I do SLDL and have noticed alot of stares. At first I thought I was just doing it wrong. Then I realized it was the butt in the air. LOL.
LOL, indeed! Yup, that would be a real attention-getter, especially if you grunt, moan, and growl as much as I do during SLDL's. :D