PDA

View Full Version : Boxing and weights, need advice here

Zinder
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi there. So I am going to lift weights and train boxing, sparring, heavy bag etc., every day except for saturdays and sundays, and monday through saturday I will lift weights. My question is, What would be a good number of gs of protein, gs of carbs and gs of fats per meal and a good number of cals , If I want to eat 6 or 7 meals daily and I train really intense on both.

Thanks.

RichardAnthony
03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry to go off topic a little, but since it's a little relative, some advice I received that I can pass on to you.

Apparently, boxers do better with doing plyometrics and such rather than to lift weights. But, it's not all discouraged. It's said boxers (and mixed martial artists) should lift heavy for the legs, and light for upper body.

benz5521
03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry to go off topic a little, but since it's a little relative, some advice I received that I can pass on to you.

Apparently, boxers do better with doing plyometrics and such rather than to lift weights. But, it's not all discouraged. It's said boxers (and mixed martial artists) should lift heavy for the legs, and light for upper body.

This was the myth for a long time until Mike Tyson starting lifting weights and he changed the game up.

smokeyjoe4848
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Mike Tyson was also a super heavyweight, unless you plan on being a heavyweight boxer, light weights high reps or plyometrics is definantly best.

Zinder
03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
well I am not going to compete, I just do the boxing for cardio, so what would be a good number of gs of protein, gs of carbs, gs of fat per meal and a good number of daily cals? I weight 65 kgs by the way and i am 1.69 m

Basil08
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
well I am not going to compete, I just do the boxing for cardio, so what would be a good number of gs of protein, gs of carbs, gs of fat per meal and a good number of daily cals? I weight 65 kgs by the way and i am 1.69 m

that explains it.

Zinder
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
that explains what? can someone help me with an example of a proper diet for someone who trains boxing and weights? thanks :)

steelo79
03-28-2008, 06:53 PM

from what i've seen, a lot of mma fighters train with their body weight at very high reps, since they're basically mocking the workload that they'll be hit when they fight at their weight class.

but there is a difference between fighters who weight train, and body builders who fight. whatever your main goal is, you need to train for it accordingly.

Zinder
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
people we are going out of topic here, please help me with a guideline of a diet that would work for me?

xl Achilles lx
03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
people we are going out of topic here, please help me with a guideline of a diet that would work for me?

I used to tain for MMA fighting religiously till I injured myself, and I have to say it's probably impossible to give you an accurate number of calories with a p/c/f ration for your body. I mean, everyone's different. For me, I could take in 6500 calories a day while training (mostly two-a-days) and gain about .5-1b a week. For you, I doubt that much would work.

Experiment, start at about 3k-3500 and see how it goes for ya. With that much cardio + weights, you'll probably be expending a lot of energy. So start at that number, and see how your body reacts to it. If you're gaining too quickly, cut it back, if you're losing weight, up it a little more.

sxgt
03-28-2008, 08:04 PM
plyometrics caused a massive loss in my power. I had to go back to heavys