PDA

View Full Version : Proper diet, help needed!

koh19
03-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Hockey season just finished and I've got 5 months to get ready for next season. Last summer, I didn't eat everything I was supposed to and didn't gain all the weight I wanted. I'm currently 155 lbs, about 5'9''. My goal is to gain 10-15 pounds this summer. Keeping in mind that I want to keep my speed and agility but at the same time build strengh and put some weight on, what kind of diet should I follow.
I use Whey powder once in a while , I'm also using creatin monohydrate after my workouts and I'll soon be getting some NO Xplode.
Should I have 5-6 meals a day like bodybuilders do and what kind of foods should I eat?
Should I use some Weight Gainer?

I'm completely lost here guys. I need help
Thanks a lot
Cheers

koh19
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh I forgot to mention, should I be using creatin, won't I lose everything once I stop taking it

koh19
03-29-2008, 03:07 AM
bump

A.J.PT
03-29-2008, 05:31 AM
diet:
try to consume 500 calories over your maitence level. if you not gaining add 250 calories per week until you gain around 1 lbs per week.
eat clean foods and plenty of complex carbs
if you need 6 meals a day to get the cals in- do it. if not, just fit the diet into your schedule...not the other way around

training:
focus on compound lifts, such as the big 3- bench/sqaut/deadlift.
i read that sid crosby's trainer had him ONLY lift his lower body while growing up! i dont recommended this for everyone because it could lead to unbalanced body...but it just shows you how key the lower body is for hockey..so i would suggest you lift 4 times per week- it would go something like this:
mon-lower 1
tues-upper 1
wed- off
thurs- lower 2
fri-upper 2
sat/sun-off

on your off days- work on speed and agility(hockey drills) and make sure you take at least one full day off from everything.

i would make the exercises you do on day 1/4 and on days 2/5 different. for example on upper 1 do BB bench and on upper 2 do DB incline bench etc.

the creatin is fine...however you must drink lots of water as is pulls water into the muscle.

no xplode i heard is quite good to. so take it on workout days if you want.

just keep it simple man. hope i helped.

koh19
03-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks, that's huge help!

so I shouldn't take some weight gainer of some sort?

A.J.PT
03-29-2008, 08:22 AM
well...in my opinion, store bought gainers are ok if you dont have time to eat a solid meal and are low on calories for the day...but a lot of the bought gainers lack vitamins and are just sugar or cheap mealtodextrin. nothing beats real food...if you have to take a gainer- make you own shake with oats/whey/olive oil or peanut butter.

koh19
03-29-2008, 08:58 AM
thanks for the info.

deadgearsrising
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
There's one gainer, I think it's called UHP up your mass or something, that has like 2g sugar, and ~12g fiber in out of ~55 in a serving. If the gainer doesn't have similar nutrition facts, I'd avoid it. Also, Layzie has always said it's cheaper and more nutritious to just make your own: Powder+any/all of:

Oats
Fruit
PB
Olive Oil
etc.

should be a good shake, and high in QUALITY carbs. That's what counts.

koh19
03-29-2008, 12:48 PM
There's one gainer, I think it's called UHP up your mass or something, that has like 2g sugar, and ~12g fiber in out of ~55 in a serving. If the gainer doesn't have similar nutrition facts, I'd avoid it. Also, Layzie has always said it's cheaper and more nutritious to just make your own: Powder+any/all of:

Oats
Fruit
PB
Olive Oil
etc.

should be a good shake, and high in QUALITY carbs. That's what counts.

OK! So I just some powder (whey i suppose...., correct me), water and any food listed above. Won't that taste like ****?