PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Workout?? Postseason

Hotshot133
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
What would be a good wrestling program for weightlifting mixed in with Cardio/HIIT training? Any ideas? THANKS IN ADVANCE

hausheer769
03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I am a wrestling coach, and I am playing with some different ideas this year. We are doing a basic WS4SB type program. I actually kind of like it because of the Dynamic Effort lower body day- I think it will give more explosion off bottom when the whistle blows.

Monday - Max Effort Upper Body
Practice from 4:15-6:00pm
3 mile run later that night
Tuesday - Dynamic Effort Lower body
Sprints
Wednesday - Practice from 4:15-6:00pm
3 mile run that night
Thursday - Repetition Upper body
3 mile run that night
Friday - Max Effort Lower Body
Practice 4:15-6:00pm
sprints

We do make some changes depending on certain things:
* Some wrestlers do lifting 2 days a week ? Tues (ME upper and DE lower) and Thurs (RE upper and ME lower) based on work or other scheduling issues.
* If we have an offseason tourney on a Saturday, we would move our lifting from that day and combine on Thursday, or hit it up on Sunday. We would also limit the number of sprints, but may play some games. Basically take it easy before a tourney, good stretching/ nice sweat.
* If we do not have a tourney on Saturday, we try and meet at the park that day for some football, or other team building fun.

Hotshot133
03-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I am a wrestling coach, and I am playing with some different ideas this year. We are doing a basic WS4SB type program. I actually kind of like it because of the Dynamic Effort lower body day- I think it will give more explosion off bottom when the whistle blows.

Monday - Max Effort Upper Body
Practice from 4:15-6:00pm
3 mile run later that night
Tuesday - Dynamic Effort Lower body
Sprints
Wednesday - Practice from 4:15-6:00pm
3 mile run that night
Thursday - Repetition Upper body
3 mile run that night
Friday - Max Effort Lower Body
Practice 4:15-6:00pm
sprints

We do make some changes depending on certain things:
* Some wrestlers do lifting 2 days a week ? Tues (ME upper and DE lower) and Thurs (RE upper and ME lower) based on work or other scheduling issues.
* If we have an offseason tourney on a Saturday, we would move our lifting from that day and combine on Thursday, or hit it up on Sunday. We would also limit the number of sprints, but may play some games. Basically take it easy before a tourney, good stretching/ nice sweat.
* If we do not have a tourney on Saturday, we try and meet at the park that day for some football, or other team building fun.

okay thanks a ton. But is this a season workout routine or is it for the postseason?

Hotshot133
03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
okay thanks a ton. But is this a season workout routine or is it for the postseason?

bump

Quarter Nelson
03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Looks like an out of season workout for sure.

hausheer769
03-31-2008, 06:33 AM

Sorry I was not on for a couple of days.

This is for off season training. We have a lot of kids who do not know how to push themselves, and we really can not afford to try and teach them how to workout during season ? that would take away from wrestling and technique time.

We are trying to get the kids more athletic, and trying to give them a real kick butt workout that will give them a ?I worked to hard for this over the summer to let this kid beat me? attitude.

I am always there for practices and tournaments, coaching. As far as the weight room and runs, they are pretty much on there own ? that is more of on the honor system. I do have a handful of kids who I do try and meet up with and workout with ? good motivation for my fat ass. The rest would only be cheating themselves if they do not stick to a routine/ workout.

Its all about attitude. Summer training makes winter champions.

Hotshot133
03-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Looks like an out of season workout for sure.

Are you from Minnesota? Cuz I know a kid that broke his ulna right before the state tourney.

Hotshot133
03-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Sorry I was not on for a couple of days.

This is for off season training. We have a lot of kids who do not know how to push themselves, and we really can not afford to try and teach them how to workout during season ? that would take away from wrestling and technique time.

We are trying to get the kids more athletic, and trying to give them a real kick butt workout that will give them a ?I worked to hard for this over the summer to let this kid beat me? attitude.

I am always there for practices and tournaments, coaching. As far as the weight room and runs, they are pretty much on there own ? that is more of on the honor system. I do have a handful of kids who I do try and meet up with and workout with ? good motivation for my fat ass. The rest would only be cheating themselves if they do not stick to a routine/ workout.

Its all about attitude. Summer training makes winter champions.

okay thanks. I don't think I will have a problem pushing myself. I recently went to the JROB 28 day so i think I'll be able to push myself

hausheer769
03-31-2008, 07:25 AM
okay thanks. I don't think I will have a problem pushing myself. I recently went to the JROB 28 day so i think I'll be able to push myself

Nice. I have always wanted to send wrestlers to that. But $$ is a huge issue. Parents are not willing to send there kids there. Most kids can barely afford the 10-15 dollars for entry fees to these offseason tourneys.

Hotshot133
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Dang sounds like a tough community.... where are you from?

Quarter Nelson
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Are you from Minnesota? Cuz I know a kid that broke his ulna right before the state tourney.

Nah, but Minnesota is a sick wrestling state.

hausheer769
04-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I would love to have athletes like you guys here on my team. Wanna transfer....lol...jk

ftwrestler
04-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Nah, but Minnesota is a sick wrestling state.

X2 I heard everyones last name is Lesnar

For your workout in the off season lift and run like a mad man.

I attatched my work out in a word document if you would like to look. This is the workout i do now when i am not trying to make weight and did in high school for wrestling. The only thing not on there is cardio. After every session i recommend some HIIT or a 3-4 mile run. What i do is for HIIT:

2-5 minutes jog (depends on how you feel)
15 sec sprint
30 sec rest
15 sec sprint
30 second rest
i do this up to 20-25 minutes total, only i do 40 seconds of sprinting with 40 seconds of rest (work your way up to that)

I didn't even touch weights in the regular season becuase i did this work out

Hope you like it and good luck

Hotshot133
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I would love to have athletes like you guys here on my team. Wanna transfer....lol...jk

Lol I don't think my coach would be too thrilled if i did that one. Where are you from?

Hotshot133
04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
X2 I heard everyones last name is Lesnar

For your workout in the off season lift and run like a mad man.

I attatched my work out in a word document if you would like to look. This is the workout i do now when i am not trying to make weight and did in high school for wrestling. The only thing not on there is cardio. After every session i recommend some HIIT or a 3-4 mile run. What i do is for HIIT:

2-5 minutes jog (depends on how you feel)
15 sec sprint
30 sec rest
15 sec sprint
30 second rest
i do this up to 20-25 minutes total, only i do 40 seconds of sprinting with 40 seconds of rest (work your way up to that)

I didn't even touch weights in the regular season becuase i did this work out

Hope you like it and good luck

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. And those workouts look pretty fricken tough. lol but its all good

qdiddy69
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
alot of people recomend high rep workouts for off season wrestlers, high reps will get ur muscles ready for the season, but im a wrestler and i did 5x5 in the off season, which gives u explosive strenth while minimizing size gains, and i pummeled the competition, of course i went to high rep during season tho

ftwrestler
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. And those workouts look pretty fricken tough. lol but its all good

those exercises are mearly guidelines. Do what you can do the the fullest extent of your ability and you will be fine.

alot of people recomend high rep workouts for off season wrestlers, high reps will get ur muscles ready for the season, but im a wrestler and i did 5x5 in the off season, which gives u explosive strenth while minimizing size gains, and i pummeled the competition, of course i went to high rep during season tho

Hell yeah you did!!! *thumbs up*

Hotshot133
04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
So i want to do more power training during the offseason then instead of endurance?? We don't get to lift much in season. We mostly only get to do plate workouts

bomberodescarga
04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
well i took a 1 month break and counting. I'll get back to training next weekend. But yeah attend freestyle tournaments and such.