PDA

View Full Version : :( time to switch programs?

DavidJr74
03-27-2008, 08:18 PM
WSFSB3 seemed to help me in the beginning but now my lifts are starting to deprogress....Today I mostly maxed out.

My Bench Press- Got 185 for 1 very hard rep (where I use to struggle on second rep)

My Deadlift- 275 pounds for 1 hard rep (whereas before I could do this 4 times)

Below-parallel Squat- 185x2 (I usually do box squats so I thought my squat would increase from doing box squats but they didnt)

The only thing that has gone up in the past month were my rows which exploded from 120-160 (just from me doing them more frequently).

So some things I need to address- My squat numbers just suck, my bench press has been stuck at 185 for 3 months now and I have no clue why, and my deadlift finnally plateaued.

This is getting on my nerves since football is getting closer and closer and it feels like I wasted a month. Theres 5 monthes left of offseason.

what do I do? I already know one thing- gotta fix my diet up. Its awesome some days and then I lose track. I also gotta get a job soon so I might lose some workout time.

jma4life
03-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Are you doing bench as your max effort? If so, you're not doing westside. If you were doing westside, you would switch your left as soon as you stopped making progress.

So if last week you did 185 *1 and the next week you also only got it up once, you switch lifts to say, close grip bench press. Doing the same lift without progress for four weeks goes against everything I think westside is about. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you should really only do a max effort for 3-5 weeks / or until you stop making gains from week to week.

Try switching your max effort to one of the lifts defranco lists. Weighted dips, weighted pull ups, close grip bench, floor bench, etc.

DavidJr74
03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I think thats what I need to do; I was a little pissed yesterday so the only thing that came to mind was "new program" which I know isn't good because I have to stick to stuff.

So for the ME I usually do the Bench Press and Box Squat. And I don't think I have changed them for a long time now...I just like doing those exercises so much that I don't change it and I get that mindset like the only way to improve bench is to bench or improve squat is to squat.

So I'm thinking I should switch it to Incline Bench Press and on ME LowerBody I think I should do Rack Pulls-something I have never done. (I looked up rack pulls- there like partial deadlifts on a powerrack and you start a little bit above knee-level.

GuiYoM
03-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Basicly change every 4 to 6 weeks.

jaberocs
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Have you checked this thread out? It got kinda lost but it has good info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=122407921&postcount=1

Also, did you deload yet? I'm on week 4 so I'm deloading this week as recommended by Fullback7 in the post above. I chose to do the "skip the ME lifts method," so I did everything except for the max-effort lifts (bench press on ME Upper Day and Box Squat on ME Lower Day).

DavidJr74
03-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Have you checked this thread out? It got kinda lost but it has good info: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=122407921&postcount=1

Also, did you deload yet? I'm on week 4 so I'm deloading this week as recommended by Fullback7 in the post above. I chose to do the "skip the ME lifts method," so I did everything except for the max-effort lifts (bench press on ME Upper Day and Box Squat on ME Lower Day).

Yeah I read that. Since I didn't lift all week coz of school and driving school (with the exception of yesterday) I have gotten a pretty good break all week.

Fullback7
03-28-2008, 08:22 PM
What could be happening....

-Are you not switching your lifts up, at a max of every 3 weeks? It seems like you are only doing bench and box squats. You need to move away from this.

-Are you working on your weak points? You could have weaknesses that you are not focusing on. Such as weak at the middle of your lift, use board presses as an example. The key to westside training is strengthening your weak points. My advice to you is to switch your ME lift to close grip(middle finger on smooth part of the bar). I have a feeling you have weak triceps, and triceps are the main ingredient to a big bench.

-Your box squat might not transfer for a couple of reasons. Are you staying tight? I have found that a lot of people rock back, and then use that momentum off of the box. You could also have a weak posterior which is not allowing you to carry over. Are you doing low back and standing ab work?

-The key component that most fail to recognize is their diet, eventually will hit a plat if you are not eating right.

-

DavidJr74
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
What could be happening....

-Are you not switching your lifts up, at a max of every 3 weeks? It seems like you are only doing bench and box squats. You need to move away from this.

-Are you working on your weak points? You could have weaknesses that you are not focusing on. Such as weak at the middle of your lift, use board presses as an example. The key to westside training is strengthening your weak points. My advice to you is to switch your ME lift to close grip(middle finger on smooth part of the bar). I have a feeling you have weak triceps, and triceps are the main ingredient to a big bench.

-Your box squat might not transfer for a couple of reasons. Are you staying tight? I have found that a lot of people rock back, and then use that momentum off of the box. You could also have a weak posterior which is not allowing you to carry over. Are you doing low back and standing ab work?

-The key component that most fail to recognize is their diet, eventually will hit a plat if you are not eating right.

-

1.) No I'm not switching it up enough..I think I have done bench and box squat for nearly 2 monthes straight now. I really gotta break that habit and I know it too everytime I work out.

2.) My weak points: My back has caught up very well: At beginning of WSFSB my rows have gone from 120 to 165 because before I never focused on them. I can do chinups now also from 0 to 7. As for my biceps/triceps they are really weak; my arms only 13". And I haven't trained shoulders forever; recently I military pressed 85 for 10 reps then 65 for 10 reps and then 45 for 10 reps which isn't good.

3.) I think on the box squat I might now be getting back enough. For some reason when I try to sit back with heavy weight I end up just going straight down. And sometimes when I try to sit back I lose a little balance?

4.) My diet is awesome somedays and horrible other days. Some days my calorie and macronutrients will be perfect with quality foods. Other days I will eat like a bag of chips the entire day...which I no is not good. It really depends on my mood. I'm really good on my diet during the weekends because I have slept in and I'm focused. During school i'm like f*ck it.

Fullback7
03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
1.) No I'm not switching it up enough..I think I have done bench and box squat for nearly 2 monthes straight now. I really gotta break that habit and I know it too everytime I work out.

2.) My weak points: My back has caught up very well: At beginning of WSFSB my rows have gone from 120 to 165 because before I never focused on them. I can do chinups now also from 0 to 7. As for my biceps/triceps they are really weak; my arms only 13". And I haven't trained shoulders forever; recently I military pressed 85 for 10 reps then 65 for 10 reps and then 45 for 10 reps which isn't good.

3.) I think on the box squat I might now be getting back enough. For some reason when I try to sit back with heavy weight I end up just going straight down. And sometimes when I try to sit back I lose a little balance?

4.) My diet is awesome somedays and horrible other days. Some days my calorie and macronutrients will be perfect with quality foods. Other days I will eat like a bag of chips the entire day...which I no is not good. It really depends on my mood. I'm really good on my diet during the weekends because I have slept in and I'm focused. During school i'm like f*ck it.

I was talking about your lower back.

DavidJr74
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I was talking about your lower back.

I'm assuming my lower back is pretty good considering my deadlift is better then my squats by alot. I think my its more hips then my lowerback but I'm not sure.

Fullback7
03-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm assuming my lower back is pretty good considering my deadlift is better then my squats by alot. I think my its more hips then my lowerback but I'm not sure.

I highly suggest throwing in some medium stance good mornings on ME lower, and pull troughs on DE lower. Try that and see if it helps on your transfer.

UMRichRod
03-28-2008, 08:48 PM
WSFSB3 seemed to help me in the beginning but now my lifts are starting to deprogress....Today I mostly maxed out.

My Bench Press- Got 185 for 1 very hard rep (where I use to struggle on second rep)

My Deadlift- 275 pounds for 1 hard rep (whereas before I could do this 4 times)

Below-parallel Squat- 185x2 (I usually do box squats so I thought my squat would increase from doing box squats but they didnt)

The only thing that has gone up in the past month were my rows which exploded from 120-160 (just from me doing them more frequently).

So some things I need to address- My squat numbers just suck, my bench press has been stuck at 185 for 3 months now and I have no clue why, and my deadlift finnally plateaued.

This is getting on my nerves since football is getting closer and closer and it feels like I wasted a month. Theres 5 monthes left of offseason.

what do I do? I already know one thing- gotta fix my diet up. Its awesome some days and then I lose track. I also gotta get a job soon so I might lose some workout time.

Get off WSB....

There is no reason your bench should be stuck at 185 for 3 months.

Are you eating like an animal???

Are you sleeping like a bear???

DavidJr74
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I highly suggest throwing in some medium stance good mornings on ME lower, and pull troughs on DE lower. Try that and see if it helps on your transfer.

Is this the correct form of a pull through (never done them):

KoF-wh2m2qE

And for the good mornings (haven't done them in ages) do you mean medium stance like keep the knees bent when doing them?

Fullback7
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Get off WSB....

There is no reason your bench should be stuck at 185 for 3 months.

Are you eating like an animal???

Are you sleeping like a bear???

Are you ****ing your sister?

monatu
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Thats probly your problem.

Switch your lifts every 2-4 weeks like Fullback said, and try and get your diet in order.

Iv stalled on all my lifts, been 4 weeks, this coming monday I start with all new lifts. Looking forward to it.

Also, without hijacking the thread, if my bench gets stuck like 2-4 inches off my chest what would help with this? I did Wide Grip Barbell Bench for my first ME Lift, now im gonna do Close Grip Barbell Bench for 3-4 weeks.

Fullback7
03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Thats probly your problem.

Switch your lifts every 2-4 weeks like Fullback said, and try and get your diet in order.

Iv stalled on all my lifts, been 4 weeks, this coming monday I start with all new lifts. Looking forward to it.

Also, without hijacking the thread, if my bench gets stuck like 2-4 inches off my chest what would help with this? I did Wide Grip Barbell Bench for my first ME Lift, now im gonna do Close Grip Barbell Bench for 3-4 weeks.

2 board press will help you get over this problem.

monatu
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
2 board press will help you get over this problem.

thanks

and do I use more weight than I would use on a normal bench, or the same weight?

xKKx7
03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I really like doing box squats, so i've been doing them like every week for like 2+ months now. and ive been seeing progress with it every time. should i still switch it up? im a squataholic

DavidJr74
04-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Alright progress :)

Already in my second week I noticed switching it up was the smartest thing I have ever done

Week 1:
ME Lowerbody- Rack pulls- 275x5
ME Upperbody- Close Grip Incline Bench Press - 115x5

Week 2:
ME Lowerbody- Rack pulls- 285x6 !!
ME Upperbody- Close Grip Incline Bench Press- ???

Yet to do the ME upperbody. If I get an increase on it I will be happy as ****. The rack pull progression was amazing though.