PDA

View Full Version : What kind or workout routine is the best?

gmpower
03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
I have been using a home gym (Gold's Gym Pro Series Smith Machine Gym) for the past few weeks now and I was wondering what would be the best exercise routine for me would be. I used to work out about 5 days a week until 7 years ago when my second child came and I didn't have much time for working out. I have about 1.5 - 2 hours to work out a day, days of the week are not an issue. The only body part I don't work out are my legs. I like to usually do 2 body parts per workout but what are the best ways to get back my strength and some size.

Thanks

chodan9
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I do
monday
back and biceps "with dead lifts"
teusday
chest and triceps
wednesday
shoulders/traps
thursday
legs "with squats also"
friday
full arm workout

I also throw in abs 2 or 3 times per week plus I have benn doing cardio 4 days per wekk "trying to lose some fat"
I have to say though if you continue to neglect legs your overall mass may suffer. especially if your not doing squats and deads

66mark
03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I have been using a home gym (Gold's Gym Pro Series Smith Machine Gym) for the past few weeks now and I was wondering what would be the best exercise routine for me would be. I used to work out about 5 days a week until 7 years ago when my second child came and I didn't have much time for working out. I have about 1.5 - 2 hours to work out a day, days of the week are not an issue. The only body part I don't work out are my legs. I like to usually do 2 body parts per workout but what are the best ways to get back my strength and some size.

Thanks

I would stick with the basic compound lifts for strength gaining: Barbell bench press( flat or incline), barbell curls, Military press, barbell rows, squatts, and deadlifts. reps in the 5-8 range with good form. This is the popular beginning mass/strength routine anyway.

wulf88
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
The Rippetoe method.....
3X5 of compund lifts...
Workout A
Squats (ATG) 3X5
Bench Press 3X5
Deadlifts 3X5

Workout B
Squats 3X5
Military Press 3X5
BB Rows (or clean and jerk) 3X5

Schedule
week one (m-w-f/or t-t-s)
A-B-A
week two
B-A-B

been doing this for two weeks (5X5 though) and have already seen strength increases in all lifts. Also see a big difference in body compostion from this as well. It is such high intensity that I am constantly hungry throughout the day. Be sure to take in alot of protein.

Rhinoclan
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks

I'd say the one you'll stick with, whatever that may be. Three keys, diet, consistency, intensity. You do these 3, and you'll be successful no matter what you do.

gittinbig
03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
The only body part I don't work out are my legs.

Thanks

Just curious, but why do you not do legs? If you want to gain muscle mass or just become more fit, squats and deadlifts are a must. Just my opinion though. I know a couple of guys at my gym that literally only do squats, deadlifts, bench, and weighted pullups. They are both freakin huge! Anyway, I think whatever works best for you is what you should do. Just experiment with different routines until you find what your body best responds to.

Whiskeyjack
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106775111

Check this thread out; it's a related topic and has some good choices and info on it.