PDA

View Full Version : 40 and need a good plan

Derrick101
03-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi, I just turned 40 and have this as a workout plan but just seem to about stay the same and not get much bigger. I am not looking to become huge but fit and strong. Here is my workout plan and supplements.

Monday: Back, biceps, back, Abs (4-5 sets * 10 reps) 20 min run after workout
Tue: Legs (15 min fast run on treadmill)'
Wed:OFF
Thur: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders/Abs (15 min run)
Fri: SWIMMING 20 min
SAT: OFF
Sun: 40 min run

GNC Mega Multi
Maximize 185 whey protein after workout

I eat very well and lots of protein, vegies etc..
WHat do you recommend as suppements to keep young and hormones good and strong? I look more like 33 or so..they say.. Again, is this a BS workout to keep fit and strong or ok?

GreenWave1
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
How long have you been at it?

Your split looks good.
One thing you may want to do is put a rest day between back and legs. If you do squats and/or deadlifts, there is some overlap between the workouts and you may not get the most out of your leg day.
Without seeing the specific exercises, it's hard to say more than that.

More diet information would also be helpful.

kimsquit
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I am not looking to become huge

If only I had a pound of LBM for every middle-aged man that's said that on this forum...

bodyhard
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
If only I had a pound of LBM for every middle-aged man that's said that on this forum...

X2....

lukamar
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Tue: Legs (15 min fast run on treadmill)'

If you can run fast for 15 minutes after you have worked your legs on leg day, you haven't worked your legs hard enough.

What are your goals?

gbk56
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Your cardio looks good and the amount of time you spend lifting looks decent. If yo are not getting gains you want it could be because you are not getting enough protein or that you shoul dimplement more compound exercises into you routine rather than isolation exercises. It is har dot tell without seeing your diet and your specific lifitng routine.

My guess is that you should add more protein to your diet and do more exercise like squats, deadlifts, benching, clean and press, dips and pull ups.

Derrick101
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey to all here that have posted some helpful input :)

I will list my average workout and what I do..also my average diet.
So here it is:

Goal gain some muscle and be fit and lean ..Look good and keep healthy and young as I can! I do not want to become too big but a lil bigger and fit.

6'2" 195 lbs..
semi musclular but a little jelly on the belly , no love handles.

Monday: Pullups (5 sets X 5) it is hard..just starting on these :)
Sitting Dumbell curls ( 5 X 10 ) 35 lbs or so
Lateral Pull down ( 5 X 10) 90lbs
Rows (5 X10) 45 lbs
Situps (machine with weights) (4 X35)
Run 15 min fast
Tuesday:
Squat machine : (5 X10) 100 lbs
Leg Extensions (5X10)
Leg curls (5X10)
Run for 15 at good speed

Wed : OFF

Thur: Incline press : 125 lbs -145 (5X10)
Bench (5X10) same as above
Dips (5X5)
Pec machine ( 4 X10)'
Overhead Press (5 X10) forgot weight.
Shoulder raises (sides) (5X10)
Front raises (4X10)
Tricep ext (free weights laying down) 35lbs (5X10)
(No aerobics)

Friday: OFF

Sat: Fun Swimming nothing fancy but constant and different styles (pumps all body)

Sunday: Run (30-40 min)

My thoughts: ok workout maybe but Thursday seems like too much, should I separate shoulders? I seems Iam sore always 2 days after the bodypart used..

Average diet per day:

7:30 AM: Corn Flakes mixed with Museli milk, bananna, an orange or kiwi. sometimes 2 eggs added or Whey shake (22 grams protein)
1 Multi Mega GNC Vitamin

10:00 AM :cottage cheese and an orange or fruit

1:00 PM : Chicken wrap (kebab) without sauce and cottage cheese or an apple or Grilled meat or Chicken , brocolli, beats, carrots, and apple slices.

2:00PM another fruit

4:00 PM 1 light fruit yogurt mixed with lean cottage cheese (17 g protein)
or Whey shake mixed with water and milk.

7:00PM : Omellette, or Grilled chicken, or pork and mixed vegies (carrots, brocolli, green beans, cauliflower)

8:15 Orange and light yoghurt for later

10:00 Lately adding another whey shake before sleeping but seems to make me have energy and cannot get to sleep..

I DRINK ONE MULTI POWER WHEY DRINK IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKOUT AT GYM WITH WATER.

So what ya think? Enough protein?? Workout ok??

Derrick101
03-29-2008, 06:29 AM
There are some pics of me.
Also, do you think swimming is good and if so on what day?
My worst are I think is chest and abs, but do not work them enough and could slim down to less body fat...

GreenWave1
03-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Your workout looks pretty good. You've go everything covered (except calves). I would add dead lift on back day and romanian dead lift on leg day (for hamstrings). This would probably necessitate adding a rest day between back and leg day.

About Thursday, I thought that was the best day. If you want to change things up, you could add a seperate day for arms. This would take triceps out of shoulder day and biceps out of back day. That way you could do a little more on each day. This might work well for you if you are not seeing the results that you desire. 5 sets per movement is great, but your overall volume could be higher. One dedicated bicep movement and one tricep movement may not get you what you want.

Your diet looks fine, nice and clean. I didn't add up the protein, but it looks like it might be bit light.

All in all, you're on the right path. If you keep doing the workout your doing, increasing the weight as you go, you'll have a nice physique. If you add some more movements (as above), you might get there quicker.

Good luck with your goals! You CAN do this.

Derrick101
03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi Kevin,
thanks for your tips.. I will try this out.
I think my diet could be a lil light on protein.
I think I should be at around 195-200 grams protein /day? I just do not see how to get that much without eating many eggs or shakes..
Maybe I add a few protein shakes in the day with water.
add like another 50 grams.I had a 100% whey drink after my workout yesterday and have not felt better in ages as usually I feel kind of run down after a hour or so after my workout.
Thanks and nice to learn and be here.
I was even thinking of trying some Creatine but a little concerned on the health side..

dsharp9000
03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I think the split looks pretty good; if you are looking to get stronger; maybe try and lower your reps for your bench, squat, etc to around 5 reps (going heavy). Only other thing would be that i have found with once a week programs is that i tend to level out after a while similar to what your describing. You might want to think about going to twice a week; but try the advice given by others in this post first as going to a twice a week program would really screw with your split; but sometimes if you want to continue to make gains; you have to really change things up...going to twice a week would do that...

ironwill2008
03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Hello, Derrick101. You're off to a good start, but like the OP who have posted, maybe I can help you out. First, I agree with Lukamar; you're not working your legs hard enough. Also, I'd suggest you work deadlifts into your routine, instead of one of the isolation moves you're doing now. Two reasons for these: you'll get stronger much faster doing compound lifts, and it's a fact that squats and deads cause your body to manufacture more HGH and Testosterone. Both are good things, especially at our age! Keep your protein up to at least 200 grams/day, spread over at least 5 meals. Don't worry about getting too big; it's just not that easy! Stay with it; 15 years from now, you'll really be glad you did! Hope this helps.

kimsquit
03-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I was even thinking of trying some Creatine but a little concerned on the health side..since creatine is a naturally occurring product in lean meat, I'm curious as to what your health concerns are about it

enigma60
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I am not looking to become huge...

I wish it was just that easy to become huge...

Derrick101
03-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey y'all,
great advice from everyone here. I can only learn and listen as I can only try and see how my body likes it.
I did not know that working legs really gets the HGH going naturally. I have been kind of neglecting my legs and just using aerobics and walking to be the only exercises. I just started doing legs as I thought it would be only fair and even to the rest of my body. I must try to see a video on how to perform these leg moves. At the moment, I am only using machine assisted squats.
I agree it is not that easy to get "BIG" that easy without working my arse off or maybe Steroids at my age..but what do I really know..
I was just reading that Creatine is like turbo'd into the system at much larger amounts than just eating a steak..I "heard" it can cause kidney damage over time. My dad is a endocrinologist and he has a few patients with HGH damage fromSteroids and a few with also kidney damages and they all have excessive high Creatine amounts in there blood.
I dunno..maybe just coincidence.

bigdaddyphil
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Just keep the diet clean and keep working out hard everyday with good rest days, maybe split the legs into two days ie, hams and calfs one day and quads and calfs a few days later.

chodan9
03-29-2008, 07:02 PM
since creatine is a naturally occurring product in lean meat, I'm curious as to what your health concerns are about it

X2

do some reading on this site and others about it and you will see its a safe supplement.