PDA

View Full Version : bench press routines

Hound53
03-27-2008, 05:00 AM
thinking about starting a new dedicated routine since I have freestyled it for a couple of weeks. Since I have freestyled it for a few weeks now. My chest is still my weakest link with a piddly 150 lb 1rm. Yeah yeah I know, somewhere there is a 12 year old girl warming up with 150 lbs heh heh

Anyway found this routine

http://www.davedraper.com/8-garys-bench-routine.html

and this one

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

and just wondering of anyone here had used either one.

I am leaning toward the one on Drapers page since I don't have a regular workout partner and finding a spot on any given day is hit or miss. I have done the Samuraiwise roll off when in a bind before and with the light weights I am pressing that really isn't a problem. However the second routine calls for a neg rep on occasion which to be done right needs a spotter.

Anyone have any opinions on these two or suggestions for a different routine?
I will be taking next week as a recovery week since it has been about 8 weeks since I had one and my sciatica has been trying to act up all week anyway.

ironwill2008
03-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Hello, Hound53! I've always been a big fan of Draper; I'd give his routine a try. Do you keep a workout log? If not, I suggest you start now. It's the only way you can track your progress, especially on any dedicated routine. As far as a spot goes, can you bench in a rack, or use a Smith? Dumbbells are another option (and much easier on shoulders!). I work out at home, so a spotter is out of the question(never could keep a workout partner for longer than a week or two!), so I use any or all of the above. At my age, I never do negatives, especially on anything involving my shoulders. At our age, gains come slower, and we have to find a balance between working intensly, while not causing injury.

ntrllftr
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
You say you free styled for only a couple weeks. Why not keep at it and see what happens after a couple more months?

I pretty much free styled most of my lifting all these years and I was able to get a 275 bench press in a bench press competition while weighing 142lbs.

Although I do love the 5x5.

Hound53
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
yeah I like doing the freestyle workouts Mon- Wed - Fri but I was still doing the bench routine from this link one day a week

http://www.building-muscle101.com/increase-my-bench-press.html

and it brought me from 135 up to 150 in about 8 weeks. I think I make better progress when I have a plan. Also I want to go back to lifting 4 days a week rather than just 3 so I will start the bench plan from Drapers site. Give it a shot for 4 weeks and see what I think of it at least.

BTW I will be doing back flips of joy when I break 200. 275 seems like the impossible dream right now.

edit oh and I always keep a log. Last November when I started I was doing 10 reps of 70 lbs. BTW Ironwill I noticed you were from W VA. I spent the first 18 years of my life just outside Beckley.

BePrecise
03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
It's been many years since I've done it, but amazingly enough the best bench press program that I've ever tried was the old Bill/Shawn Phillips Bench Press program from Muscle Media 2000. The only problem is that many of the days do require a spotter because of the negatives...so it would be interesting to see how one faired with some adjustments. Granted I was much younger and still gaining strength then, but that routine always pushed my weights up rather significantly. My brother works out with 315 regularly and just emailed me about a week ago and said he was using it again. Funny, many people have it still listed on the web: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

Hound53
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
It's been many years since I've done it, but amazingly enough the best bench press program that I've ever tried was the old Bill/Shawn Phillips Bench Press program from Muscle Media 2000. The only problem is that many of the days do require a spotter because of the negatives...so it would be interesting to see how one faired with some adjustments. Granted I was much younger and still gaining strength then, but that routine always pushed my weights up rather significantly. My brother works out with 315 regularly and just emailed me about a week ago and said he was using it again. Funny, many people have it still listed on the web: http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

That is one of the ones I am considering. Now to clarify on the negatives, would just doing the resistance on the down ward part work?

See if I have the idea of a negative correct. I have always thought of negatives as resisting the on the eccentric as much as I can for a very slow descent (15-20 secs?) and performing the concentric phase with the spotter giving minimal assistance. If I could get by with just the eccentric I could always do that on a Smith or just roll it down onto my legs and sit up. On most days I can probably get a spot, but on days like yesterday when I pretty much had the entire free weight area to myself so I would have had to be real patient and wait for someone to wander in.

tjrob
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Dude, Not that i am anywhere remotely close to the next Mr. O. But I came to realize that working out is unique to people as people themselves.

You can walk up to the biggest guy you know and his routine may be useless to you.

With that said, I would recommend this, Since you need to change your routine every so often, and I tend not to tell you when, but on average every 4-6 weeks, try different things, and find that technique that works.
For Example: I have bumped my bench up well over 100 pounds in a few months. Deads has helped me develop my chest more than chest as well.

I have used Rest Pausing (which IMO worked well for me), Heavy weight low reps (which as also worked for me too), and then there are 10x10's with moderate weight and more. I switch from Bar to DB's also.

Never hesitate to experiment with different techniques, but the hardest one, is generally the one that works.
Just my 2 cents....

BePrecise
03-27-2008, 07:49 PM
That is one of the ones I am considering. Now to clarify on the negatives, would just doing the resistance on the down ward part work?

See if I have the idea of a negative correct. I have always thought of negatives as resisting the on the eccentric as much as I can for a very slow descent (15-20 secs?) and performing the concentric phase with the spotter giving minimal assistance. If I could get by with just the eccentric I could always do that on a Smith or just roll it down onto my legs and sit up. On most days I can probably get a spot, but on days like yesterday when I pretty much had the entire free weight area to myself so I would have had to be real patient and wait for someone to wander in.

Duh! Sorry about that! I only clicked on the Dave Draper link.

I think your description of negatives is right on. If using a max overload (theoretically, one should be able to use 40% more than their 1RM), you may not be able to resist very long. However the main thing is that you really try to avoid a rapid descent or one at all. It's kind-of hard to explain as you may be trying to avoid a descent, but physically you are unable, hence you shouldn't be using any effort to get the weight back up because there's not much left in you. But that requires 2 spotters and this isn't a competition.

I don't recommend the Smith Machine because of the fixed motion. Plus if you're really trying to increase your free weight bench press weight, then practicing the lift is the best way. However if you are looking to develop your chest then there may be some other options like Hammer Strength that will allow you to progressively overload your chest in small increments like the program recommends, which may not be a bad idea either and definitely safer than rolling the bar down to the thighs (that's scary).

Lastly, you could just follow the program, but up the reps. So instead of 2-3 reps, perform 4-5 which gives you a safety margin. As you go longer in the program, you may get close to not meeting the reps and you don't wanna find out when the bar's on the way down. The program focuses just on the bench, so work on other body parts is limited which is good. Keep us posted if you go with it and make any mods. I benched the most in my life on the program weighing about 180 lbs. and I got up 280...those were the good ole days...