PDA

View Full Version : Lost 5 lbs while trying to bulk, lol....need help

25inch
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
so i went on the tri phase training program january and just finished up last week. I ended up losing about 5 lbs of pure fat(im hoping). So once i start training to gain muscle again, i was wondering if maybe i just wasnt getting enough protein...help is much appreciated

911medic
03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Probably not a protein problem, more than likely a lack of calories in general. If you're going to gain weight you have to eat more than you burn. About 500 calories per day over your maintenance intake should add approx 1 lb a week. If you're still not gaining, slowly add in more calories per day until you start to go up.

Harder than it sounds like. I'm struggling to gain, too.

Thrillryder23
03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Yea what medic said is correct. More calories in vs calories out will result in weight gain. The opposite will result in weight loss. You have to make sure your also taking into consideration the amount of calories you will be burning during your training as well and not just base your caloric intake on your RMR. I made that mistake when I first started a long time ago and it took me about 4 months to fully realize what I was doing wrong.

bookv
03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
If you're not gaining, you need to up the calories. Just aim for about 1.5x your bw in protein, eat about 20-30% cals from fats and get the rest from good sources of carbs. Drink a glass of milk with every meal, that'll add some cals.