PDA

View Full Version : Noob trying to get started and hit a snag

Suicyc0
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I've been lurking here for about a month... great group of truly inspirational people in here!

Last year I found BTFFTM and dropped from 213 pound to 185, 29% BF to 19%. I lost about 10 more pounds without really trying since then, just eating around my maintenance amount. Now I want to put some bulk back on my body (so my wife stops asking where my chest went!).

I was about two weeks into the Starting Strength workout, eating around 2800 calories a day, and put on a couple pounds while dropping some more body fat. Last week I did something to my ankle, but we're still not sure exactly what. So now I'm in a walking boot for the next 2 weeks until they can do an MRI and possibly scope it.

Even tho squats & deads are out, I have no intention of stopping everything. I'd still like to try to put some muscle back on my upper body. I'm thinking 2800 a day without being able to really use it, is gonna put on more fat than muscle. Should I drop back to my maintenance eating & just throw in some pwo protein (or more)? Or just drop total calories somewhere around 2400 with the calories above maintenance being protein?

As for exercises, taking the leg work out of Rippetoe's doesn't leave much. I'm thinking of substituting chinups for rows and using our bowflex (yeah, I know... I'm trying to sell it) to do what leg extension/curls I can. Beyond that I'm at a loss...

Thanks for any advice y'all may have!

I'm not a good patient...

ironwill2008
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
It's a drag getting injured, and not being able to train. Stay off the ankle until your Doc figures out what's wrong with it. If you're in a walking boot, it's probably not serious, but I wouldn't test it. For sure, continue to work your upper body. If you can do leg extensions without causing ANY discomfort to the injury, then do those. In short, continue to do what you can, as long as it doesn't aggravate your ankle in any way. As far as calories, I'd cut back some, especially since you're new to training, and haven't had a chance to add much muscle mass yet. I'm no doctor, but have been training for years, and this is how I've handled similar circumstances for myself. Above all, don't use this as an excuse to quit. Stay with it; 15 years from now, you'll be glad you did. By the way, Starting Strength is an excellent program.

crupiea
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Great work, you are a man after my own heart.

I wouldnt let a minor thing like and ankle injury slow me down. You should probably consider dropping the calories a few hundred but i would suggest adding in the substitute exercises and see how it goes. Check yourselgf once a week and make sure you arent putting on more fat than you can deal with.

I really dont think that you will though. The leg extension idea is a great one. That and if you can work your hamstings. Also now would be a good time to address some abs and lower back. Maybe some flexibility now wouldnt hurt. Mixing up your bench and doing some seated military press is also fun. Just keep as active as you can without hurting yourself more.

I had a hernia operation a couple years ago and the doc said no weights more than 20 lbs for a while. I am like you and not too good of a patient so i worked that 20 lbs dumbell to death. Those were some awesome workouts and I was a better man for them. You will do great with this.

britonarius
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
use substitute exercises that won't trouble the ankle - and cut back by around 200 calories. Good luck with the ankle and congrats on your weight loss.

Suicyc0
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Believe me, quitting is not an option. I'll try the leg work tonite to make sure the pads are far enuff away from the ankle to keep the pressure off. I may see how creative I can get w/ the dumbells for some substitutions too.

My wife is a nurse & I'm already driving her nuts 'cos I don't like her doing things for me. She'll be glad to have me occupied with anything at this point!

Thanks again
Rob

BergMuscle
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
You may need to leave the strict Rippetoe training on the back burner and focus on upper body work, at least until you've got an ankle that can support you and the weight you're lifting.

I've pulled a muscle in my inner thigh and torn a tricep (not at the same time :rolleyes: ) and kept training each time. The trick is to focus on what you can do, not on what you can't do.

Suicyc0
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
You may need to leave the strict Rippetoe training on the back burner and focus on upper body work, at least until you've got an ankle that can support you and the weight you're lifting..

Yep, I'm already in the market for a new routine to get me thru. With all the flash & hype around routines, it even worse than buying a new truck! :)