PDA

View Full Version : How is your flexibility?

chodan9
03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
the flexibility in my hips and legs have actually improved wins I have gotten into working out, but my upper body has had the opposite effect. I used to get an itch on my back and just reach around and scratch it. Not any more.
It starts itching and I have to ask my wife to scratch it, (then she says 'your back is getting all humpy now!') or if she isnt around I have to back up to a wall corner and move around till it goes away LOL, I look like an old cow on a fence post.
Is this something I have to learn to live with, a trade off of strength and size for flexibility in my upper body? or are there certain stretches that will mitigate this?

ouprincess
03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
My flexablity is pretty good.I make sure to stretch my muscles before and after exercises.

and a good link to learn upper body stretches. http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=159

chodan9
03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
My flexablity is pretty good.I make sure to stretch my muscles before and after exercises.

and a good link to learn upper body stretches. http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=159

Thanks!
I saw a couple stretches there that should help!

ps.
according to your signature I am reponsible for a mass kitten genocide!!

ouprincess
03-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks!
I saw a couple stretches there that should help!

ps.
according to your signature I am reponsible for a mass kitten genocide!!

I personally think shoulder flexabilty is most important.It helps protect the rotator cuffs.

Ps.
We must all do our part in making sure God has plenty of kittens to play with.

Inthegrass
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
My fexibility has really improved in the last couple of years, but I've worked hard at it. I've learned that being more flexible actually allows exercises to be completed more efficiently. Therefore you benefit more from the exercise.
I can do the splits now front to back easily. The side splits I'm almost there with and this kind of fleibility is really making my kicks that much more powerful and technically easier to do and learn.

I think most people really neglect their fexibility and balance (I use to) just because it's hard to work on. The progress seems very slow too. Also I think that there is an outlook with many that it is just no manly to do. Maybe, maybe not I don't know but that's the way it seems. Why spent time on a mat stretching when you can bench right?

I practice both pilates and yoga and I also incorporate what I've learned from that into other areas of my workouts. It works for me anyway.

Jeff

chodan9
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
being a martial artist I have always maintained pretty good flexibility in my lower body, but the modest muscle gains in my back, shoulders and chest have impaired m upper body flexibility. I can still sink pretty low in splits and kick fairly high, not as high as when I was training martial arts every day but still well above my head.

ouprincess
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
What up Jeff!! I practice yoga haven't tried pilates yet.

My flexabilty goal at the moment is to get my feet behind my head I'm close but not there yet. :D

I think some people retain flexabilty better then other.I personally if I start to slack on my stretching find that it disappears quickly. I think weightraining makes the muscles tighter if you don't stretch them...I know my running does.

Wildtim
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Streching before lifting and sometimes after has improved my overall flexibility. Both upper and lower.

timberwolf
03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Streching before lifting and sometimes after has improved my overall flexibility. Both upper and lower.

Only static stretch I would do before a workout is for the hip flexors.
I save the rest post workout. 20 min of stretching at the end of every workout usually and yoga once or twice per week.
Lower is also alot more flexible for me than upper.

Inthegrass
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
What up Jeff!! I practice yoga haven't tried pilates yet.

My flexabilty goal at the moment is to get my feet behind my head I'm close but not there yet. :D

I think some people retain flexabilty better then other.I personally if I start to slack on my stretching find that it disappears quickly. I think weightraining makes the muscles tighter if you don't stretch them...I know my running does.

Oh ya big tease!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I started pilates before I started yoga.

I agree with you on the disappearing part. I have to keep it up regularly or I loose it too.

Jeff

bodyhard
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM

:eek:

Cgb6810
03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Ive been stretching while Im working out, hoping to stretch the muscle fascia and induce new growth. I stretch back, bi's/tris, pecs, delts. But it hasn't helped with my everyday routine. It's still getting harder and harder to tie my shoes. If I bend down straight, my thigh hits my chest and I can't reach. If I put my leg along side my body I can reach, but not comfortably. SLDL have helped in my ham flexibility.

Bando
03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I stretch after every w/o, a good 5 - 10 minutes on the mat. I think it makes you less susceptible to injury and know (for me anyway) that it cuts down on soreness. I'm pretty flexible, probably the old wrestling days didn't hurt either.

IronIc
03-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I am natually flexible and enjoy stretching. It helps stave off things like injuries :)

gbg
03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Ive been stretching while Im working out, hoping to stretch the muscle fascia and induce new growth. I stretch back, bi's/tris, pecs, delts. But it hasn't helped with my everyday routine. It's still getting harder and harder to tie my shoes. If I bend down straight, my thigh hits my chest and I can't reach. If I put my leg along side my body I can reach, but not comfortably. SLDL have helped in my ham flexibility.

I also stretch while working out. Between sets, I find it helps me on the next set think it's the circulation,but I have tried all the different methods out there and this is the best.

Braindrop
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I've been doing yoga every day for a couple of months, and not only is my flexibility way better, but I just feel better overall.

ouprincess
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I've been doing yoga every day for a couple of months, and not only is my flexibility way better, but I just feel better overall.

I love yoga I think it has many bennifits beyond flexabilty. I reccomend it to everyone.