PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift question

code3gt
03-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Is the shin scraping normal on a deadlift or am I doing something wrong, form wise. I thought keeping the bar close as possible was crucial to maintaining good form. I try to keep good back alignment and drive through with my heels planted. Extremely tough being 6'4" and doing barbell deadlifts.

For being such a core exercise, I am surprised I don't see anyone in the gym doing deads anymore... Has to be one of the hardest exerecises to perform correctly imho. Dumbbell deads just felt awkward. Bleeding shins are getting old. Neoprene shin/knee cover is the next purchase I guess.

Thanks in advance...

HEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Here is a good reference for proper form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvuCkPIqQQM

Capt. America
03-25-2008, 04:13 AM
In a nutshell...keep the bar as CLOSE to your shins as possible. Blood, scabs are a badge of Honor...if it hurts you..... wear long sweats! I wear my military BDU pants and I still sometimes draw blood.

jtroster
03-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Check out boyscouT's Bodyspace(http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/boyscouT/). He has a good video of deadlifting 315 with close to perfect form.

britonarius
03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Scrape the shin - its the best form. Keep it tight and close and bring it up steady and controlled.

liftiron68
03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
This is a great topic. And yes, my understanding of doing them is close and tight.

However I've been afraid to attempt these. Basically I have just started to retrain my legs with weight, I had stopped weight training for many many years and now I'm back into it.

I'm starting with 4 set, 85 lbs, 10 reps squats and then lunges, 4 set 40 lbs, 10 reps. I'm on my second week of these (I've done the sets 4 times now).

Is it safe for me to start deadlifts? Or should I continue to strengthen my legs before moving to them?

code3gt
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM
elarsen68,
I had my General Practice Physician recommend staying away from squats and deadlifts . Not for any specific injury related to me, just the fact of being over 40. He said it was because of risk of injury over gain in size. He also mentioned putting strain on the lower region can cause hemorrhoids.

Right or wrong, I choose to do them. My problem is, I can't see my form (back) and have to go by feel, which is dangerous for a newbie like myself. Ultimately it is your decision... buy some shin guards if you decide to take it on LOL

Olie
03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Other thing to remember, you don't have to go to the ground with your weights. You said you are doing dumbbell deads. Those will get very difficult in the form area when the wieght starts going up as it brings you so far down. I moved over to rack deads and life is much better but then again we use the barbell for those. I would say, if you are going to stay with dumbbells, go as low as you can but keep your form. If you feel yourself going onto your toes then stop. 6 inches below the knee will work, try that and see if it is easier to keep form.
Close to the shin, scars are the true badge of deadlifters.....just my opinion.

1stindoor
03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Keep the bar close to your shins, a little scrapped skin on your shin is better than a messed up lower back. Try putting a little baby powder on your shin before your lift...it'll help the bar glide over your shins without ripping them.

liftiron68
03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
elarsen68,
I had my General Practice Physician recommend staying away from squats and deadlifts . Not for any specific injury related to me, just the fact of being over 40. He said it was because of risk of injury over gain in size. He also mentioned putting strain on the lower region can cause hemorrhoids.

Right or wrong, I choose to do them. My problem is, I can't see my form (back) and have to go by feel, which is dangerous for a newbie like myself. Ultimately it is your decision... buy some shin guards if you decide to take it on LOL
This is interesting. I guess I never asked my doc directly, however he knows I'm weight training and he just says... your smart, listen to your body and don't hurt yourself.

Guess that's why I'm starting lighter to build up the muscle and strength. Maybe I'll hold off a bit more with the deadlift until my squat and lunges feel more under control and heavier weight.

Oh and I buy some shin guards... lol

Thanks!

Bookman
03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I found this series of articles very helpful. Part II deals mostly with flaws in form and how to correct them. The link is to Part III, but the other two parts are linked in Part III.

Scrapping the shins MAY (but not necessarily) be a sign ones form needs tweaked.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1607555

chodan9
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I start my deads at mid shin level to minimize risk to my back "back surgury at one time" but I start with the bar very close now and the bar is raised about 6 inches higher than normal.
Since I have upped the weight recently I have found that the bar sort of slides down the top of my legs on the way down.

Whiskeyjack
03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
In a nutshell...keep the bar as CLOSE to your shins as possible. Blood, scabs are a badge of Honor...if it hurts you..... wear long sweats! I wear my military BDU pants and I still sometimes draw blood.

When I deadlifted competitively, we typically used baby powder (talcum) on our shins and chalk on our hands. The baby powder made for an easier "slide" up the shins.

bigeugene
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I found this series of articles very helpful. Part II deals mostly with flaws in form and how to correct them. The link is to Part III, but the other two parts are linked in Part III.

Scrapping the shins MAY (but not necessarily) be a sign ones form needs tweaked.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1607555

x2....read this article and watch the vids (but make sure to note, as the author does, that some of the vids are what NOT to do). :)

GoOrange
03-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Is the shin scraping normal on a deadlift or am I doing something wrong, form wise. I thought keeping the bar close as possible was crucial to maintaining good form. I try to keep good back alignment and drive through with my heels planted. Extremely tough being 6'4" and doing barbell deadlifts.

For being such a core exercise, I am surprised I don't see anyone in the gym doing deads anymore... Has to be one of the hardest exerecises to perform correctly imho. Dumbbell deads just felt awkward. Bleeding shins are getting old. Neoprene shin/knee cover is the next purchase I guess.

Thanks in advance...

Shin scraping is normal at the beginning (and every so often later on). Deadlifts are very tough to do correctly with heavy weight when you are tall.

Stick with it and constantly try to improve your form. As you get stronger and better at the excercise you'll be able to do it relatively blood-free!

XXXL_Bryan
03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
elarsen68,
I had my General Practice Physician recommend staying away from squats and deadlifts . Not for any specific injury related to me, just the fact of being over 40.

and your physician draws this experience from what clinical studies or from personal experience? I would guess neither. picking up your groceries puts strain on the weakening vessels of the GI system. ask him if you should stop driving your car because your eye sight is no longer as good as it was when you were 18?

as for the deadlift question; start doing them any time. just be smart. deads are in my opinion the penultimate exercise for anyone trying to make changes to their bodies.... no matter your age. ability is the determining factor.

boathead
03-26-2008, 01:47 PM
i've only recently started deadlifting...i tend to keep the bar about 1-2 inches away from the shins. could this explain the rather severe strain on my lower back? i mean, could 1-2 inches away have significance to such a degree?

thomasale
03-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I've gotta say that I love the burn and heart rate caused by deadlifts. I do not do them very heavy and maintain control and form throughout. I do them once each week on back day and having done them yesterday feel them in my back and quads today...it is good :)