PDA

View Full Version : Help on my squat (Video)

bodyhard
03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
OK guys before you laugh at me for squatting 95lbs in a cage please remember I am trying to regain my form and not injure myself.

Let me apologize for the crappy video I have a BS Olympus camera I will purchase a new one shortly.

But if you could see the video please let me know if you see anything wrong with my form that might be causing me pain in my pelvis/hip area. I think subconsciously I might be doing something wrong but I feel like I am doing it as I always have, but losing the feel in my legs and the ability to walk for so long I might just be compensating one way or another for the pain.

As most of you know my pelvis was crushed in the car accident but the doctors tell me it is 100% healed, so I shouldn't be feeling this much pain.

Thanking you all in advance

G-ihRP1y03c

Stenn
03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
When I click on the video, I get a message, "We're sorry, this video is no longer available." What's up?

bodyhard
03-24-2008, 10:12 PM
When I click on the video, I get a message, "We're sorry, this video is no longer available." What's up?

I put it as private for up to 25 people, maybe I have to change that?

Stenn
03-24-2008, 10:33 PM

There's gotta be more than 25 people who want to see you squat, man. Pump it up! Show the world!

lukamar
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
John, you may also want to take one from the back to check your alignment in that plane. My right leg is shorter causing a tilt in my pelvis and it's noticeable on video but no one has ever picked it up live. Just a thought.

EMISGOD
03-24-2008, 10:37 PM

Can't comment without seeing it, John...

Stenn
03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh well, I gotta hit the hay. I've got a date in the morning with a barbell and I need my beauty rest. I hope to see your video soon.

JD1213
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Hey BodyHard,

I couldnt see the squat vid but I think I can elate some what.
Do you get this pain when doing cardio as well?

I had the same problem after my Back Surgery(L4-L5), Felt pain when doing squats and any bent over rows.

So I got into the habit of not even bending over unless I was doing the "golfers" bend. I also had pain in that same area when trying ab work.
So I avoided any situp or crunch for a long time.

Took me a few years to even get the courage to do Hyper extensions.Then Deads , then finally BB Squats and Bent over BB rows.

I Honestly believe it was all just in my head.the memory of severe pain is always there with me.

-Good luck

-John C

gbg
03-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Can't see anything!!!

goddessamazon
03-25-2008, 05:26 AM

Uh yeah! Change it! :mad:

I want to see it too.

bulldog71
03-25-2008, 06:06 AM
You won't hear me laughing John! Remember who squatted 95lbs yesterday? lol I have to ask, when and where is the pain? Is it while you are squatting, or after, almost like DOMS? Fix the F'ing video, too! I know you're at home in front of a monitor right now, if you're not eating! lol

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 06:46 AM
OK I am not too familiar with youtube, I made it public for everyone to see. Hope you guys can see it.

The pain I get is during the movement, starts on my hips, works it was to my groin, the further down I go.

I don't feel it when I use a closer stance. The form you see me doing it in the video (if you can see it now) is the form I use when the pain hits.

bulldog71
03-25-2008, 07:04 AM
hmmmm.......The form looks dead on the money! Does it happen when you go wider also? The only thing I can think of is the narrower stance relieves some lateral forces from the pelvic girdle. Maybe the stress on the girdle is causing some pain in the newly healed fractured lines? At first I thought the pain might be a by-product of tendon atrophy, but since it happens during.........It may be some sort of tendonitis though. All of the muscles involved in squatting do cttach at the pelvis.

dbx
03-25-2008, 07:04 AM
I've never seen myself do squats, but you look like I feel when I'm doing them :). That is, it looks like you're leaning too far forward and not back on your heels enough. The first thing that kinda caught my attention was where the bar rests on your back. It may be the video/view and/or the shirt you're wearing, but it looks like the bar is way down your back.

liftiron68
03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
To me the form looks ok, maybe a little to forward. Hey I'm not laughing, I haven't trained my legs with weight in years and I'm starting with 85 lbs. 4 sets 10 reps on a smith machine. Plus I'm using the smith machine as it forces me to squat straight (bar attached to frame). Besides, I figure it's better to retrain my legs then go heavy and injure myself.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I just got back from the gym on my little road back back to "normal" from my 2nd leg surgery. I was also in the rack doing box squats (I place a box below my butt so I know when I have gone deep enough). Your video made my day. Seeing you in the rack was awsome. Well done my friend. Thank you.

phikappa
03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Looks good to me. If you're experiencing pain, you should do something different or stop all together.

Good luck!

Olie
03-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Hey buddy, all in all you looked great. I will agree with the others though, does look like you're a little forward but that may be due to the angle of the camera. Box squats might be a good variation to your routine and will help you to sit back.
As for the pain, hips are not my area of expertise but I am willing to bet that after a pelvic fracture, your whole girdle is going to be different. The soft tissue surrounding that bone has to now adapt to changes in the support structure and they are going to talk to you. gbg can probably go into more detail on this but as I said before, I would call them growing pains. Your body is "growing" again, trying to relearn the physical make up of your pelvic girdle and the surrounding soft tissue.

Dude, every day you are an inspiration to me and the people around me. It seems like it was yesterday I was thinking, this hardcore lifter was in a crash and the docs told him he might never walk again then today you are posting videos of you squating. F*ck man! You rock! Keep at it, you have shown that there are no limits to BH.

freebirdmac
03-25-2008, 07:58 AM
You should send your doc a link to that video :)

Is it camera angle or are you listing a bit to the right when you go down? Have you worked on the abductors/adductors? There is so much in that area that has been damaged/weakened by your injuries it's not surprising that it hurts. Hell you weren't even supposed to walk again! You'll just have to judge the pain and figure out if it means stop, go lighter, or if it is something you should push through. Maybe the Animal Flex will help in time.

fitnessman
03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Leaning forward too much just a tad IMO John.

Stenn
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Ok, here's what I saw, which wasn't much. Your form looks good.

1. I like the low-bar grip. It'll put less torque on your lower back.

2. You might be tucking your ass in a little at the bottom but it's hard to tell with that darn plate in the way.

3. I checked your bar-path by putting a post-it note on the screen with the bottom running through the middle of your foot and the top through the bar. (It was at an angle, but that's because of the camera angle.) You started out great, but your last few reps were circles. The bar went back as you decended and forward as you ascended. In other words, your weight was on your heels on the way down and on your toes on the way up. Your feet looked like they stayed flat on the floor so it couldn't have been that bad.

I highly recommend that you post your video here:
http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36
This is a forum where Mark Rippetoe comments on people's exercise videos. Mark Rippetoe literaly wrote the book on proper squat form and he always sees stuff in videos that I don't.

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone I have review this thing a 100 times (I even stop it frame by frame) and I see the same thing, I am leaning a little too far forward, but the **** is when I try to keep my back straight it puts too much added pressure on my lower spine, leaning slightly forward releases the pressure. I guess I am doing that subconsciously as well.

As for the bar placement I have a "sweet" spot that I have always used and before my accident I had the bar placed in the same area with out discomfort. But maybe I can move it up and see if it changes anything, I never thought about changing the bar placement. Thanks DBX!

Mark1T
03-25-2008, 08:12 AM
John, your video looks great, because anyone that knows, you know what good form looks like and feels like. If anything, just being picky, like Fitty said, you may be leaning slightly forward too much. I think to aleviate this you can try to arch your lower Back just a little more and stick your chest out just a hair.

Lastly, do you prefer your feet to point slightly outward? Personally, I point my feet straight ahead. But, I place my feet about the same width as you.

All in all, you should be very proud of that. Awesome work.

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 08:37 AM
John, your video looks great, because anyone that knows, you know what good form looks like and feels like. If anything, just being picky, like Fitty said, you may be leaning slightly forward too much. I think to aleviate this you can try to arch your lower Back just a little more and stick your chest out just a hair.

Lastly, do you prefer your feet to point slightly outward? Personally, I point my feet straight ahead. But, I place my feet about the same width as you.

All in all, you should be very proud of that. Awesome work.

I prefer my feet pointed slightly outward, I might even try changing that as well. Next Monday I will up the bar and turn my feet slightly in just to see how that feels.

Once again thanks everyone for viewing my pathetic 95lbs squat video :D

ironwill2008
03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the vid. It's very inspiring to see someone recovering from a serious injury doing an exercise that most uninjured people run away and hide from. Your form looks good to me; make haste slowly. Good luck.

dbx
03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I prefer my feet pointed slightly outward, I might even try changing that as well. Next Monday I will up the bar and turn my feet slightly in just to see how that feels.

But only try one at a time :). I have to point my feet out too. If I kept them straight...I would destroy my knees. I might be mistaken, but I thought it was fairly universal to point feet out at a slight angle to relieve pressure on knees.

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
But only try one at a time :). I have to point my feet out too. If I kept them straight...I would destroy my knees. I might be mistaken, but I thought it was fairly universal to point feet out at a slight angle to relieve pressure on knees.

LOL yeah I am going to do it one at a time :D :D

For sure I know narrower stance, feet pointed straight out doesn't hurt my pelvis/hips at all, but I can't squat deep.

Never thought about pointing the feet straight on a wider stance thought like you, it would put more pressure on the knee.

Mark1T
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I understand your logic that it may put more pressure on the knees keeping your feet straight if your stance is wide, but my knees feel great with it.

But, nothing wrong with your feet pointing outward a bit.

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I understand your logic that it may put more pressure on the knees keeping your feet straight if your stance is wide, but my knees feel great with it.

But, nothing wrong with your feet pointing outward a bit.

Understood Mark I never tried it so I don't know if my knees would hurt or not, that is why I am going to give it a shot on Monday. I am not really worried about my knees so if the different stance alleviates any pressure on my pelvis/hips then I will use that stance.

Mark1T
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Understood Mark I never tried it so I don't know if my knees would hurt or not, that is why I am going to give it a shot on Monday. I am not really worried about my knees so if the different stance alleviates any pressure on my pelvis/hips then I will use that stance.

Great. With my knees pointed straight, I get a good Outer-Quad feel from top to bottom. But, still feel it everywhere.

dbx
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
With my knees pointed straight, I get a good Outer-Quad feel from top to bottom. But, still feel it everywhere.

I know what you mean, Mark, but I just can't do it with a wide stance. In fact, even with toes pointed out I still have to find the sweet spot, and often have to adjust (even just a hair) after the first one or two reps. The way I've been doing squats lately (like this morning), I do say, 220/3x12 or 250/3x8, and then do narrow stance with feet almost straight with 180/2x12 to finish, and get that feeling you're talking about. In other words, I know with the wider stance and toes out I'm hitting the outer portion, and with narrow stance I'm hitting more center. My legs have always sucked, but I'm working on it. Also doing a lot of cardio/running so my knees are getting pounded daily.

Stenn
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
In general, if your femurs are not pointing in the same direction as your feet, your knees will suffer from uneven loading. Give the parallel stance a try, but also try pointing your feet out more than you usually would (matching with a wider femur angle as well) and see how that works too. Fish around between 25 and 45 degrees. Hopefully there's a sweet spot that will allow you to squat pain-free.

Is there any other exercise that you do that generates the same belly-button to crotch kind of pain that you feel during squats?

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
In general, if your femurs are not pointing in the same direction as your feet, your knees will suffer from uneven loading. Give the parallel stance a try, but also try pointing your feet out more than you usually would (matching with a wider femur angle as well) and see how that works too. Fish around between 25 and 45 degrees. Hopefully there's a sweet spot that will allow you to squat pain-free.

Is there any other exercise that you do that generates the same belly-button to crotch kind of pain that you feel during squats?

None squat is the only exercise that causes the pain. Even deads and SLDL do not cause me any discomfort whatsoever.

dbx
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
....Fish around between 25 and 45 degrees. Hopefully there's a sweet spot that will allow you to squat pain-free.

I almost posted 30* angle as ideal for feet, as it seems I read that somewhere a long time ago, but I thought I might have been confusing it with BP incline angle :D
I even did a bodyweight squat to see, and figure I'm somewhere around 20*-30* on wide stance.

Mark1T
03-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I know what you mean, Mark, but I just can't do it with a wide stance. In fact, even with toes pointed out I still have to find the sweet spot, and often have to adjust (even just a hair) after the first one or two reps. The way I've been doing squats lately (like this morning), I do say, 220/3x12 or 250/3x8, and then do narrow stance with feet almost straight with 180/2x12 to finish, and get that feeling you're talking about. In other words, I know with the wider stance and toes out I'm hitting the outer portion, and with narrow stance I'm hitting more center. My legs have always sucked, but I'm working on it. Also doing a lot of cardio/running so my knees are getting pounded daily.

That is perfectly fine. I am a believer in that you have to find your comfort zone on something like Squats. I do have a wide stance, but not much wider than shoulder width. With squats, you have to just keep hacking at it and experiment, because you will find your groove. You are doing very well. You have the potential to go up in the 300s. If I can, you can.

dbx
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
That is perfectly fine. I am a believer in that you have to find your comfort zone on something like Squats. I do have a wide stance, but not much wider than shoulder width. With squats, you have to just keep hacking at it and experiment, because you will find your groove. You are doing very well. You have the potential to go up in the 300s. If I can, you can.

Thanks for the kudos. I'm not a big guy, but while I do well on many exercises, I struggle with squats, Only started doing them 2yrs ago around this time, so I don't feel totally pathetic. In other words, a typical chicken-legged guy with a decent upper body :D. I squatted 300 my first year to get over an ego barrier (not sure I was even parallel!), but I've been doing what many call ATG, and what I'd call just below parallel. I just can't sit on my heels. I decided a long time ago, to check my ego at the door, and just do the best I could going below parallel. I could probably do 350-400 doing "the 5" drop" :D. But we all know that's not good for anything but bragging rights...and won't bring growth.

ntrllftr
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I said it before to you and I will say it again (damn you are too much like me, too anxious) ;)
Slow the F#K down man.

Your form looks pretty damn good to me though.

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I said it before to you and I will say it again (damn you are too much like me, too anxious) ;)
Slow the F#K down man.

Your form looks pretty damn good to me though.

LOL yeah I am freaking anxious man, I just wish I could squat with no pain. That in itself is mentally draining/depressing

ntrllftr
03-25-2008, 12:04 PM
LOL yeah I am freaking anxious man, I just wish I could squat with no pain. That in itself is mentally draining/depressing

Man I just had a vasectomy last friday. I am still in pain. I was hoping to get to the gym this Friday. Since I still can't stand on my feet for longer than 10 minutes without pain, I have to take another day off work and most likely have to wait untill next Wed or friday to hit the gym. I am going INSANE because all my lifts have been increasing these past few months and now I cant even stand up to take a piss.

Hang in there John. I am sure your pain will go away in no time and you will be back at that 500lb squat.

dbx
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Man I just had a vasectomy last friday.

Welcome to the sisterhood, bitch :D :D :D

Man, you'll be fine by...wait, you should be fine by today? :eek: Don't tell me...it looks like it's going to fall off??? :eek:

ntrllftr
03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Welcome to the sisterhood, bitch :D :D :D

Man, you'll be fine by...wait, you should be fine by today? :eek: Don't tell me...it looks like it's going to fall off??? :eek:

Dude I am afraid to look...

Doc says I shouldn't have pain any more but it is still pretty bad, WTF!

I guess the next time my wife says: do the dishes beeeotch it holds up as being true. lol

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Man I just had a vasectomy last friday. I am still in pain. I was hoping to get to the gym this Friday. Since I still can't stand on my feet for longer than 10 minutes without pain, I have to take another day off work and most likely have to wait untill next Wed or friday to hit the gym. I am going INSANE because all my lifts have been increasing these past few months and now I cant even stand up to take a piss.

Hang in there John. I am sure your pain will go away in no time and you will be back at that 500lb squat.

You did what?? :eek:

Damn my dude, I feel for you...............:D :D

ntrllftr
03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
You did what?? :eek:

Damn my dude, I feel for you...............:D :D

Trust me man, it was a year long battle with my wife.

I ran out of ammunition... :D LOL

goddessamazon
03-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey BH next time you film yourself squatting be sure to place the camera behind you so I can look at your butt.

:)

bodyhard
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey BH next time you film yourself squatting be sure to place the camera behind you so I can look at your butt.

:)

:o :o

ALBPM
03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Dude I am afraid to look...

Doc says I shouldn't have pain any more but it is still pretty bad, WTF!

I guess the next time my wife says: do the dishes beeeotch it holds up as being true. lol

LOL!!!!! Been there..................

Go sit down and put the ICE Packs back on and don't move for a few hours.

ALBPM
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
John, I think the only thing you need to do is to slow the reps down a bit and focus on your form. Continue using the stance that doesn't hurt your pelvis and slowly increase your working weight for now.

Reid147
03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
OK guys before you laugh at me for squatting 95lbs in a cage please remember I am trying to regain my form and not injure myself.

Let me apologize for the crappy video I have a BS Olympus camera I will purchase a new one shortly.

But if you could see the video please let me know if you see anything wrong with my form that might be causing me pain in my pelvis/hip area. I think subconsciously I might be doing something wrong but I feel like I am doing it as I always have, but losing the feel in my legs and the ability to walk for so long I might just be compensating one way or another for the pain.

As most of you know my pelvis was crushed in the car accident but the doctors tell me it is 100% healed, so I shouldn't be feeling this much pain.

Thanking you all in advance

G-ihRP1y03c

Your form look good to me !! need a shot from the back.

DVFlyer
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Far from an expert here, but fresh off of Rippetoes book. :)

To me, as other have said, it looks like you might be a bit too forward, but what I noticed most was that you need to raise your chest and and pull your elbows back/ up. This will tighten your upper back and provide the proper lower back arch which will stabilize your whole upper body. Moving your elbows back and up will also straighten your wrists, which appear to be bent.

It appears your chest is loose at first and then comes out as you go down. Tighten up first. Take a breath and hold it. It also seems like you are moving too fast.

gbg
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
OK I am not too familiar with youtube, I made it public for everyone to see. Hope you guys can see it.

The pain I get is during the movement, starts on my hips, works it was to my groin, the further down I go.

I don't feel it when I use a closer stance. The form you see me doing it in the video (if you can see it now) is the form I use when the pain hits.

Like I said earlier it has something to do with the external rotation that happens when you squat with a wide stance,your hip capsules are tight and limited in external rotation stick with a more narrow stance and see what happens also add stretching your hips in both external and internal rotation.

gbg
03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Also you might be leaning forward a bit because it's taking the weight distribution and changing it from more of the weight being placed on your hips with a neutral spine as apposed to the weight coming down on more of an angle in front of you. Your subconsciously taking a % of the weight off your pelvis.

eddied27
03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
John, I think the only thing you need to do is to slow the reps down a bit and focus on your form. Continue using the stance that doesn't hurt your pelvis and slowly increase your working weight for now.

In reading everything commented in this thread, I agree with the above statement the most. I'm no physics master but one would assume that with the pace you're dropping then rebounding upward, it's likely causing trauma to the area that's trying to heal. Again.....not an expert but slowing the pace seems the most logical approach at this time John........mind-muscle connection.....if you slow down, use 95lbs. but do the move like you have 300 on your back, you'll likely be better off in the long run.

Been experiencing some hip pain recently myself and I think it's directly related to my doing sumo deads.

Saw this over at t-nation after reading a thread here in the O35 about deads.....
Sumo deadlifting can really beat up on your hips; anterior hip pain is very common in sumo-style pullers. Make sure you're finishing with your glutes on each rep (prevents anterior glide of the femoral head, which can irritate the joint capsule), and be sure to never go longer than four straight weeks pulling sumo-style without a break from it. Many powerlifters will wear squat briefs when pulling sumo just to protect their hips.

Now given the accident, the trauma to your entire hip region, the wide stance you're taking and throw that in with the fact that you're a stubborn SOB and won't slow the f'ck down.......it makes sense your hip is probably screaming at this point. I was thinking box squats like Olie suggested but I woud imagine that if done incorrectly (at too fast a pace), you're causing more trauma by abruptly stopping the downward motion of the move on to the box. Again......depends on how you do them. If done correctly, that could be valuable to the hips, glutes and hams.

I think I saw Shelli comment on the adductor/abductor machines for strengthening the hip area.

Lastly, don't listen to dbx.....he has no idea what he's talking about! :eek: :p

Patience John......patience! :)

dbx
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Lastly, don't listen to dbx.....he has no idea what he's talking about! :eek: :p

Negged! :cool:

EMISGOD
03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd be interested in seeing tomdana and Randy's comments, if they get in here...and maybe dinoiii, if he makes his way in.

I don't see anything outside of what anyone else has already mentioned. Up until sytennison threw out that link, I never really used Squats for much of anything outside of warming up, but I remember back a few years ago, one of the power guys made it a point to come over and talk to me about them. His first comment was that he did not see me doing them particularly before, which was interesting to me, as I had not realized anyone was watching me, but I suppose everyone knows who the regulars are and I guess we're always all trying to watch out for some new cool exercise or deviation, for a change of routine, if nothing else.

I digress. Anyway, he went through a litany regarding test levels, depending on how many plates and at what point the stress on the knees from the weight would be the overriding factor over test production. His last comment was that it took literally years to get proper form on Squats perfected and it tended to vary slightly with each person and individual body.

My point here (and I do have one, promise) is that people who are either in the medical field (tomdana) or who were former Power-Lifters and are now trainers (Randy) or who were doctors AND Power-Lifters (dinoiii) are more likely, in my opinion, to be able to spot something that is off, if indeed there is anything greatly amiss...moreso than me, anyway.

If it were me, I would just discontinue the Squats for a while and switch to something else, probably Hack Squats and Leg Press and Good Mornings and then go back to it after a while...

GnomusMaximus
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
All I can say is slow down a bit. I can tell you are used to bouncing out of the hole a bit which is normally a good thing but given what you have been through with the pelvis you might need to slow it down.

Stenn
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
None squat is the only exercise that causes the pain. Even deads and SLDL do not cause me any discomfort whatsoever.

That's odd. Well, maybe not...

Deadlifts are a very similar motion to squats, except that the bar is in the hands instead of on the back and the ass is higher in the air at its lowest position. I wonder if it's hip angle that's messing with you. ATG squats put the hips in a more acute angle than any other exercise I can think of other than decline situps. You might try some decline stitups and try to mimic the stance and hip angle you achieve during squats and see if you get hip pain.

If your pain is associated with an accute hip angle, your problem may be plain old sciatica. I know of a lifter in Ireland who is struggling with sciatica and had to stop squatting for a while. Also smitsky, one of our power-lifting bb.com bretheren, is currently competing in bench press only because a bout of sciatica has interfered with his squats and deadlifts.

Here's a link to some sciatica info. What made me think of this is that sciatica involves a nerve that runs down the lower back, through the hip, and down the legs. Sound suspicious? Hmmm.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I'm just a weight-lifting enthusiast who has just enough knowledge to be dangerous. All hair-brained theories stated herin should be checked out with a health care professional if not ignored completely.

tjrob
03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
BH....bro...dude you are amazing really. But give it time..that is what everyone tells me. Be consistent and give it time. Dude you had a major traumatic event happen that you have amazingly came back from. It will just take time to get back up to speed......

BTW how are you guys embedding in this forum...

marius1
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
for me wide stance definitely causes pain in my right hip. I go slightly narrower than shoulder width.

Burlington
03-26-2008, 01:55 AM
I am a noob so I don't have much to offer regarding your form but I am curious....have you tried leg presses since the accident?

bodyhard
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Update: I went down to my basement loaded the rack with the pole and started working on foot placement, bar placement, and stance. I found my groove with little discomfort on my pelvis/hip. There is still some pain but not to the extent where it stops me from descending in control. In the video, not sure you can see my face but every time I descended my face grimaced in pain.

I place my feet closer but found I could go ATG if I just point my toes outward. The thing was when ever I did a closer stance, I would point my toes forward and I could not go beyond parallel without leaning/falling forward. I also found I do not lean forward as much since the pain is less on my hips.

This was a simple thing but something I wasn't looking into. I don't think I will ever be able to squat 100% free of pain as my pelvis.hip area will probably always be F'cked up, but the pain I felt was very limited I squatted 135lbs for 5 with this form, with less pain then when I was squatting 95lbs.

Thank everyone for helping me out, the video really helped me to see myself doing the movement something I never did before. I always relied on mirrors

If you guys doubt a form you are doing, take it from me, film yourself if you could, weird seeing yourself perform a movement, but it really helps tremendously.

Once again thanking each and everyone of you who have helped me get through all this BS.

I would also like to apologize for "crying out" for help as much as I have been doing of late.

One

jtroster
03-26-2008, 02:21 PM
You squatted 135!

bodyhard
03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
You squatted 135!

Yes I did, unofficial though, not an Olympic bar and not with two 45lbs plates! But yeah it added to 135lbs :D

Stenn
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes I did, unofficial though, not an Olympic bar and not with two 45lbs plates! But yeah it added to 135lbs :D

Aw, come one ya damn hard-head! It don't matter what kind of bar and plates you were squatting, 135 is 135. Go ahead and step to center stage and take your bow cuz you did it! (Sheesh, next thing he'll be telling us it didn't count because he wasn't wearing his lucky underware...)

bodyhard
03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Aw, come one ya damn hard-head! It don't matter what kind of bar and plates you were squatting, 135 is 135. Go ahead and step to center stage and take your bow cuz you did it! (Sheesh, next thing he'll be telling us it didn't count because he wasn't wearing his lucky underware...)

LMAO!!!
But seriously it's just that, the pole is one of those really skinny 6 foot poles that I assume weighs 18 or 20lbs. So Monday when I go to the gym will be the real test, that is the way I see it, I know I am anal but I have to do it with 2 45lbs with an Olympic bar to call it official :D :D

Stenn
03-26-2008, 08:25 PM
LMAO!!!
But seriously it's just that, the pole is one of those really skinny 6 foot poles that I assume weighs 18 or 20lbs. So Monday when I go to the gym will be the real test, that is the way I see it, I know I am anal but I have to do it with 2 45lbs with an Olympic bar to call it official :D :D

Ok fine. We'll all hold our applause till then. Just don't forget your lucky underware. :D

Oh, and bring a camera! You owe your doc a picture.

GnomusMaximus
03-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I would also like to apologize for "crying out" for help as much as I have been doing of late.

One

Why? Seems you got a bunch of supporters here and from what I've seen you'd be the first person to return the favor. Congrats on the squat.