PDA

View Full Version : What is your biggest "oops" moment?

AdmiralNaismith
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Ever had an "oops" moment while working out?

I've had more than a few. I go to work out and forget to turn the tv off. I'm happily bench pressing away when my attention focuses on the tv for a second. The Drew Carey show is on. Someone says something funny...I start to laugh....strength cuts out....weight drops down...and I'm pinned to my bench giggling like an idiot.

I'm jogging on a treadmill at Fitness Depot. The salesman reaches across the display to point something out....I reflexively lean back...feet go out from under me...and I bounce my face off the treadmill. (Don't try this at home, kids.)

What is your biggest "oops" moment?

dbx
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I go to work out and forget to turn the tv off. I'm happily bench pressing away when my attention focuses on the tv for a second. The Drew Carey show is on. Someone says something funny...I start to laugh....strength cuts out....weight drops down...and I'm pinned to my bench giggling like an idiot.

That is not an "oops" moment. That is a moment of pure stupidity :D

Ahem...but it does remind me; I just posted about working out in my son's room when I started working out again 6yrs ago. And I'll be damned if I didn't watch Drew Carey during that time, lofl. But in my case, I'd only watch/pay attention when I was using DB's or something, not benching. Just looking at that guy could make me laugh.

someday
03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
mine was this past fall. i had gotten right up and put on gym clothes just to hang around the house and clean.....i got so busy before i knew it the day was gone and i was dashing off to meet hubby at the gym. i get to the gym , start lifting and started to get a bit sweaty, so whip off my sweat shirt and realize i'm not wearing a bra. :eek: my puppies are a bit to big to do that now, so i had to work out with my sweat shirt on even though steve thought i was being silly. it could have been worse....at least i had a shirt on. :D

Mark1T
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I am thankful I have a vivid and visual imagination :)

Tyrbolift
03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Smacked my forehead on one of the ends of the bar of the smith machine while going to put more weight on. I reached up to feel if there was a bump there and it was bleeding! :(

bodyhard
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM

I've had more than a few. I go to work out and forget to turn the tv off. I'm happily bench pressing away when my attention focuses on the tv for a second. The Drew Carey show is on. Someone says something funny...I start to laugh....strength cuts out....weight drops down...and I'm pinned to my bench giggling like an idiot.

I'm jogging on a treadmill at Fitness Depot. The salesman reaches across the display to point something out....I reflexively lean back...feet go out from under me...and I bounce my face off the treadmill. (Don't try this at home, kids.)

Dude NOTHING distracts me when I am training NOTHING! I am 100% focus at what I am doing "Mind to muscle link" Hell when my sons were working out with me and the workout was over and they started saying "did you see this or that" I would freaking go ballistic on them, I told them "Stop Fking paying attention to what is going on around you and F'king TRAIN!! They thought I was nuts!

Mark1T
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I guess mine would be when I was squatting and had at least 315 on the bar. I finished my set I went to rack, and was obviously not thinking and the tip of my middle finger was smashed between the power rack and the bar. It was one of those silent screams moments. Hurt for 5 months :(

lukamar
03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
i got so busy before i knew it the day was gone and i was dashing off to meet hubby at the gym. i get to the gym , start lifting and started to

Same sort of thing. Ran off to meet a client and shortly after we started she said "how are your feet doing". I said fine looked down and I realized i was wearing my bedroom slippers.

eddie.mac
03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Smacked my forehead on one of the ends of the bar of the smith machine while going to put more weight on. I reached up to feel if there was a bump there and it was bleeding! :(

That happened to me also about 6 months go. It hurt like a s.o.b. Luckily the gym was pretty empty so I don't think anyone saw it. Doh!

djl_ottawa
03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Same sort of thing. Ran off to meet a client and shortly after we started she said "how are your feet doing". I said fine looked down and I realized i was wearing my bedroom slippers.

Wife and I used to car pool. I did that once. I came out and wife asked me if they changed the dress code at work to allow slippers... I felt like an idiot ;>

tjrob
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
While on my trip this month, I was at the base gym and they have the nice plates with carry handles. As I am hanging a 45 up my thumb inadvertently is on the inside of the plate as it drops to the others (the posts were slanted), and smashed my thumb.

Stenn
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I can recall two good "oops" moments off the top of my head...

I had just started doing t-bar rows and I was doing them Old School style with a barbell, plates, and no fancy handles, just grab the bar with both hands and boogie. I was making good progress and adding weight every workout till one day I added just a little more weight, hoisted front of the bar up, and the back of the bar came up and smacked me in the ass. I was fortunate in that the boys were to port and the bar struck to starboard (or was it vice-versa? I forget.)

My other "oops" moment happened after my last set of 5x12 squats with 1 minute rests. I racked the bar, backed up, and started to drop to the floor in exhaustion. On my way down, I tried to grab the safety pins in the power rack to break my fall. Both pins slid backward and I ended up pinching the karate-chop parts of both hands between the pins and the cage. That sucked a lot.

lukamar
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
There is this one guy that's in his early 30's that I really get along well with, we both have the same deranged and warped ideas about humor. He'll sneak up behind someone and see if he can pull their shorts down that sort of thing.

This one day i was doing inclines on the smith and decided to add weight. I picked the 10's off the tree and when I turned around whack - hit him right in the forehead. Caused a good cut and he had blood running down his face.

Just as i was patching him up some young guys came in and asked what had happened. He quickly said I had warned him not to grunt and when he did it for the third time I walked over and hit him in the head with a 10 pound plate and said "that's enough grunting, you were already warned". The young steroid crew did their work out in silence and left. We cracked up for about 20 minutes. :D

rea99
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
My first or second time working out in a serious gym I was about 20+- there were a few heavy lifters around and I wanted to just not look like an idiot that hadn't worked out before. So I threw a 20,10,5 on each side of a curl bar with no clips and started doing preacher curls, well my home preacher set-up was just that homeade the gym one had a piece of metal sticking out to rest the bar on and it was a little awkward getting around with my long arms, so about my 5th rep I hit it, lost control and dropped one side the plates went rolling and the other side hit the ground with a loud clang. Worse the 25 rolled right into one of the guys foot, when I went to retrieve it he handed it to me and said, maybe you should use some clips, I felt like such an ass.

Not only did I drop the weight it looked like I couldn't handle the weight I was using when it was something totally different. OOPS

UCFBuilder
03-24-2008, 08:44 PM
the only real oops moment ive had was about two weeks when i was doing the incline leg press. I was on my last set with 6 45's on each side, i had just finished my last rep at 10 and went to lock the machine in place, well i didnt lock it properly and when i lifted my legs the weights came flying toward me pinning my legs up against my chest and i was sort of stuck in the seat, i managed to wiggle myself and thankfully i hadnt injured myself and since i work out in the mornings there was too many people there.

mikedown
03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
a loud fart whiledoing Standing Dumbbell Rear Raises (i'll get my coat )

Tyrbolift
03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
a loud fart whiledoing Standing Dumbbell Rear Raises (i'll get my coat )Did it raise your rear?

Do_Somethin
03-25-2008, 12:58 AM
mine was this past fall. i had gotten right up and put on gym clothes just to hang around the house and clean.....i got so busy before i knew it the day was gone and i was dashing off to meet hubby at the gym. i get to the gym , start lifting and started to get a bit sweaty, so whip off my sweat shirt and realize i'm not wearing a bra. :eek: my puppies are a bit to big to do that now, so i had to work out with my sweat shirt on even though steve thought i was being silly. it could have been worse....at least i had a shirt on. :D

There is this one guy that's in his early 30's that I really get along well with, we both have the same deranged and warped ideas about humor. He'll sneak up behind someone and see if he can pull their shorts down that sort of thing.

Put these together for a nice visual... :p

Skidmarx
03-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Fess' up people. I bet at least half of us have farted on the leg press. :D

gbg
03-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Was doing calf raises on the leg press and normally I never unlock it because it's not necessary with the small ROM, but for some STUPID reason this time I did and when I was finished... :eek: well let's say my toes went crunch,had 5 broken digits,thank God it happened during the summer months because I couldn't wear shoes for a while.

djl_ottawa
03-25-2008, 03:55 AM
I would say it was with my headset.

I was just finished on the elliptical and was walking away, the cord for my mp3 player got caught on a handle. Well, instead of popping out of my ears, or out of the player itself, they were in there tight.

Ended up getting the feet under me removed and falling flat on my back and losing my breath.

Worse, happened just as a class was getting out so it was witnessed by a goodly dozen ladies.

Olie
03-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Mine was today, I was reading this post by a female body builder when I started to visualize the picture she was describing and gave out a little "woohoo" while at work. Of course, the entire room has to come over and see what I am reading and in my effort to try and move the monitor away, I knock it off the counter and it hits the guy coming over to see. Luckily, he's not suing so I get to keep my gym for one more day. Don't ever post anything like that again Someday!! LOL

exguitarplayer
03-25-2008, 12:59 PM

While making my home gym, I made some of the equipment to workout with in the beginning. Anyhow I made a quick cable pully. I was laying on the bench face up pulling the weight bar toward me at the last rep, exhausted I let go quickly. The homemade bar came off the cable struck my forehead/nose requiring all together 14 stitches. Explaining this to my friends at our local American Legion home on how I got the stitches and me telling the truth, they now call me, "FLEX".

tjrob
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Fess' up people. I bet at least half of us have farted on the leg press. :D

Come on Bro! I admit this...it happens usually during squats, deads, and leg presses....So there.

GAS OUT!!!!

jtroster
03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I often have mini-oops moments when I try using DBs one notch too heavy. I can get them into position but then they won't move. So I mutter "I'll get you next time" and put them back.

BePrecise
03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Worst was in my home gym...bench pressing (you know where this is going) and I thought I could get "one more rep". Well, I did, right under the pins, not on them, and the bar came back down on my head. Fortunately I turned my head to the side as it was laying across just above my ear and I turned my body to the side to tip the weight off (thankfully no collars). I got up dizzy with a headache and called it a day.

The last workout, I almost fell forward on the descent doing some power shrugs in the rack...I just played it off, re-gripped, and kept pulling!

Spiceygamble
03-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't know it this even counts... it was during a workout but not in a traditional sense(no machines or weights). I was practicing a floor maneuver that required me to cartwheel into a set of pounding splits.
I thought I had it, I had warmed up & stretched, practiced my ass off...
evidently I practiced it completely off. Legs turned just slightly off & *whamo... I did bad things to both my hamstrings, at the same time. Didn't do much walking for about 2 months.
Still have to baby my legs a bit.

*poo...