PDA

View Full Version : 21's

Capt_Lou
03-24-2008, 07:15 AM
What does everyone think about just doing 3 sets of 21's for their biceps workout.

The reason that I am asking about this is every other week I have my 4 ye4ar old daughter and it is really tough to get to the gym, Now I do have a fitness room at my Apt complex that has DB's up to 50lbs.

Since I have her I can't be gone that long since my 14 year old son (not the most responsible kid in the world sometimes) watches her for 30 min so I can do some cardio on my non lifting nights.

Spiceygamble
03-24-2008, 07:16 AM
How much does she weigh?

*chuckle...
Sorry, I just remember by Pappa using me a part of his workout when I was that age. Brought back a funny memory.

:D

Capt_Lou
03-24-2008, 07:24 AM
How much does she weigh?

*chuckle...
Sorry, I just remember by Pappa using me a part of his workout when I was that age. Brought back a funny memory.

:D

She's tiny only 45lbs or so. So I could do standing baby curls.

She does like when I lie on the floor and bench her. She laughs the whole time. In fact my 14 year old laughs also when I do it to him.

Spiceygamble
03-24-2008, 07:27 AM
My Pappa use to have me stand on his toes as he did calf lifts.
It really was funny.

You're a good daddy.
*kudos...

techo
03-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Weight lifting is a family sport! I don't think I could do three sets of 21s. My biceps would explode. It would be small pop....but an explosion just the same.

Inthegrass
03-24-2008, 08:53 AM
21's are cool!! I get a real burn out of them but I always do them at the end of my weight workout. Because of that my arms are pretty much spent so I'm using a lighter weight. To take it up a knotch again I do all my 21's while balancing/ kneeling on an exercise ball. It makes for a more whole body core workout with them then. You have to keep your posture, etc, good at the same time getting your arms to complete that last two or three sets. A nice way to finish up before I jump rope.

Jeff

lukamar
03-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I do all my 21's while balancing/ kneeling on an exercise ball.

Jeff

Did you not read the new rules,.. " The discussion of exercise balls, bossa and pillows and the like is strictly forbidden in the Over 35 section."

Fitty is going to ban you to the Cardio Bunny section for that admission...LOL

I do 2 sets of 21's but sometimes I do 2 sets of 33's if I feel strong.

jtroster
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
I superset 2 sets of 21s using a 40 pound BB and skullcrushers (21 reps) using the same weight. Twice around is enough to slay my guns.

Inthegrass
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Did you not read the new rules,.. " The discussion of exercise balls, bossa and pillows and the like is strictly forbidden in the Over 35 section."

Fitty is going to ban you to the Cardio Bunny section for that admission...LOL

I do 2 sets of 21's but sometimes I do 2 sets of 33's if I feel strong.

lmao!!

Ya I know. But that's me, just like my workouts I always push the limits!!!
If there's a harder way to do something I'll try and find it. :D

bodyhard
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Man if this is true they need to enforce it! :D :D

But seriously I hate those freaking things they shouldn't even be part of working out. Who the hell wants to try balancing themselves when they are concentrating on a specific muscle? Sort of defeats the whole mind to muscle link if you ask me.

dbx
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
If you're talking Arnold 21's....I couldn't/wouldn't do three sets. I choose a weight that I can barely manage to get the last set of 7. And I'm not a believer in drop sets, so dropping weight just to do another set would be useless to me.

Inthegrass
03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Man if this is true they need to enforce it! :D :D

But seriously I hate those freaking things they shouldn't even be part of working out. Who the hell wants to try balancing themselves when they are concentrating on a specific muscle? Sort of defeats the whole mind to muscle link if you ask me.

If your only interest is to body build and not play other sports then Ya I'll agree with you. That's just it though. It's not meant to concentrate on a specific muscle but rather bring many muscle groups together to have to work as a single unit. It taxes out your entire nervous system and makes you stronger for other areas and other sports. Most pro athletes will have some sort of conditioning like this that they will do. Hockey, basketball, downhill skiers, etc, all utilize this kind of training with equipment like swiss balls, Vew-Do's, bosu's, etc.
When I use them for say something like 21's I've already targeted my biceps, arms, triceps, whatever in a conventional workout. Then once that is said and done I now challenge them once again in conjunction with the rest of my body. It takes a ton of mental focus as well to pull it all together. I'm using exactly the same weight kneeling, balancing on the ball as if I wouldn't have used it so I'm not short changing my muscles. I've already worked them. Now I'm just hitting everything hard one last time.
It's just striking a balance between stability and strength.
And it's very hard work!

Jeff

atoybbacs
03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I've never tried 21's. I think I'm going to try them on my next bicep workout.

The Abomination
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I sometimes use them as a finisher but like somebody else said, they can turn into 33s, 34s, etc