PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to eat meat to get a bigger butt??

fabulous-farha
03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I once read an article in Allure magazine which said that Brazilian girls have great butts because they eat a lot of chicken. At the time, I thought this was ridiculous, kind of like Sophia Loren saying one time in an interview, "I owe my beauty to olive oil." I was like, "Ah, yeah, maybe you should thank your parents for the phenomenal GENETICS...."

Anyway, my trainer just told me that I look the way I do (underweight and shapeless) because I'm vegetarian!! She said she already knew I was vegetarian just by looking at me!! She went on to say that when she eats fish, she gets a very lean look, and that meat gives you "a fuller, rounder look." (I went out and bought my first chicken that very same day.)

My question is: What's the deal? Will eating MEAT specifically - as opposed to other forms of protein - make me more shapely?? If so, please explain why, if you know. Also, is chicken good enough? Or does it have to be red meat? Anybody know about this? Thank you!!!

EDIT: I eat egg whites, cottage cheese, goat milk, yogurt, and whey protein powder for a total of 130 grams of protein/day. (I weigh 128.) So I'm getting enough protein, no problem; I'm just wondering if the source matters... (Also, my new trainer just WON Figure in the Arnold Classic! So she is definitely knowledgeable, to say the least...) I just would like more info on this... Thanks everyone :)

KTHNXBYE
03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
well meat, chicken, and fish all have lots of protein...something that is hard to find on a vegetarian diet. all the extra protein will help you build more muscle and therefor 'fill you out' more. haha, hope that helped.

bosshogg3
03-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think its nothing more than your gene's

KTHNXBYE
03-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think its nothing more than your gene's

strong english. thank you.

Anon73o
03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
What you need is a more knowledgeable personal trainer LOL

"Filling out" will be a matter of eating more calories than you use throughout the day. You need to be getting these calories in protein/fats/carbs from a variety of clean sources. If you can accomplish this by eating vegetarian foods then so be it, otherwise it might be easier on you to switch over.

Dave P
03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Im willing to bet its your exercise routine.

Any trainer that makes a retarded comment like that cant possibly have you doing the right routine if size is what you're after.

Uz
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
No one?

Spoon pic please. :p

terracotta
03-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Are you a vegetarian (eat dairy/eggs/fish) or a vegan? There's no reason a vegetarian diet would have to hinder your goals. Vegetarian diets just take more planning in order to get enough dietary protein.

Of course, your weightlifting routine is very important too. Lifting heavy weights will cause growth.

xl Achilles lx
03-23-2008, 01:46 PM
More complete protein sources might aid in the developement of lean muscle tissue...but I don't know if it will specifically add to a bigger but. To contrast this, I know plenty of healthy vegans and vegetarians, so being a vegetarian doesn't automatically mean you'll be "shapeless" lol. I think it might have a lot to do with your diet.

Post up your diet so we can get a decent look at what you eat on a daily basis. I mean if you're severly underweight, you've obviously lost a lot fat, as well as muscle. This in turn makes you look "shapeless", however you don't look that underweight..atleast from you're avi pic.

xl Achilles lx
03-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Lol what a topic.

We might need to see pics of the said ass, so that we may compare and contrast it with a full, brazilian ass.

Aindreas
03-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Lol what a topic.

shefler29
03-23-2008, 02:52 PM
We might need to see pics of the said ass, so that we may compare and contrast it with a full, brazilian ass.

x1000

fabulous-farha
03-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Please do not make jokes or get off topic. I am very self-conscious about this, just like a lot of you GUYS used to be self-conscious about being skinny little guys before you learned how to get big. Help me out here!

(I had a pic up, but deleted it bec I was so embarrassed. I will re-post it, along with a new progress photo, in a few weeks/months(?) if I see any improvement.)

IWantIt
03-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Well it's almost impossible to spot add like you want to do, just like it's near impossible to spot reduce fat in some places. I think you may need to just pack on a few pounds and see if you get anything added where you want it. Sorry..

fabulous-farha
03-23-2008, 03:03 PM
More complete protein sources might aid in the developement of lean muscle tissue...but I don't know if it will specifically add to a bigger but. To contrast this, I know plenty of healthy vegans and vegetarians, so being a vegetarian doesn't automatically mean you'll be "shapeless" lol. I think it might have a lot to do with your diet.

Post up your diet so we can get a decent look at what you eat on a daily basis. I mean if you're severly underweight, you've obviously lost a lot fat, as well as muscle. This in turn makes you look "shapeless", however you don't look that underweight..atleast from you're avi pic.

I'm 5'10, 128 pounds, 16% body fat.
My diet:
meal #1: 1 quart low-fat goat milk (32g protein, 44g carbs, 10g fat), 1/3 cup walnuts.
meal #2: 8 egg whites (28g protein), platter of steamed vegetables, 1/4 of an avocado.
meal #3: 8 oz. low-fat cottage cheese (28g protein, 6g carbs, 2g fat), berries OR veggies, walnuts OR almonds.
meal #4 (new): chicken, 10 kalamata olives, platter of blanched vegetables.
pre-bed snack: plain, low-fat yogurt, 3 almonds.
post-workout: 20g whey protein with water, and a prana raw enzyme bar.
(This adds up to 130g protein/day.)

BioBex
03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Without calculating all of the calories in your meals, it visually appears that you are undereating by a fairly moderate amount, especially if you are lifting consistently and trying to gain muscle (your butt). With your meal #1, try adding 1/2C (uncooked measure) old-fashioned oatmeal and mix in your walnuts/almonds or a Tbsp of PB. For meals #2 and #3, add in 1/2C sweet potato or beans or oats, etc. Some complex carb - you seem to be lacking those. Before bed, try egg whites instead of yogurt, or mix in a scoop of protein powder with the yogurt.

This is just a quick suggestion... maybe try hiring a nutritionist in addition to your current trainer? I didn't see great results until mine re-vamped my diet. You need to lift heavy as well, as everyone else told you... for a great butt, I love squats (real squats), plie squats, weighted lunges, and deadlifts. Aim heavier, reps between 6-10. Don't neglect the rest of your body as well.

Botton line, you will need to increase your calories for several weeks and focus on a heavier lower-body workout to build and develop the butt you'd like to have. Don't worry, you won't get "chunky," but you need the extra calories to build muscle.

Hope this helps a bit!

xl Achilles lx
03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm 5'10, 128 pounds, 16% body fat.
My diet:
meal #1: 1 quart low-fat goat milk, 1/3 cup walnuts.
meal #2: 8 egg whites, platter of steamed vegetables, 1/4 of an avocado.
meal #3: 8 oz. low-fat cottage cheese, berries OR veggies, walnuts OR almonds.
meal #4 (new): chicken, 10 kalamata olives, platter of blanched vegetables.
pre-bed snack: plain, low-fat yogurt, 3 almonds.
post-workout: 20g whey protein with water, and a prana raw enzyme bar.
(This adds up to 130g protein/day.)

I seriously doubt you're 16% bodyfat. Also, I would recommend incorporating more carbohydrates into your diet. They are very protein-sparing, and are an excellent source of energy. I would also add in a better breakfast. I mean I'm not one to talk, as I usually only have eggs and oatmeal/some kind of cereal, but milk and nuts really isn't that great of a breakfast.

Oh and I wasn't poking fun about you earlier, it was simply a harmless joke. You really shouldn't be self confident, you look great IMO. (no e-stalker)

fabulous-farha
03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I seriously doubt you're 16% bodyfat. Also, I would recommend incorporating more carbohydrates into your diet. They are very protein-sparing, and are an excellent source of energy. I would also add in a better breakfast. I mean I'm not one to talk, as I usually only have eggs and oatmeal/some kind of cereal, but milk and nuts really isn't that great of a breakfast.

Oh and I wasn't poking fun about you earlier, it was simply a harmless joke. You really shouldn't be self confident, you look great IMO. (no e-stalker)

???
Why do you doubt I'm 16% body fat? (I just had it tested by an exercise physiologist, at Canyon Ranch. Plus, I have had it tested a couple of times in my life, and its always 16-17%...)

Eat more carbs? I eat a protein-to-carb ratio of 0.5 - 1.0 (all vegetables and berries)... (I eat huge veggie platters every day.)

What's wrong with goat milk and walnuts for breakfast? I drink the whole quart = 32g protein, 44g carbs, 10g fat... plus the walnuts...

Thank you for the compliment, by the way... (I am very confident overall, but, we all have our faults... mine is just really bugging me...) Thanks for your input :)

ericpeavey
03-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Please do not make jokes or get off topic. I am very self-conscious about this, just like a lot of you GUYS used to be self-conscious about being skinny little guys before you learned how to get big. Help me out here!

(I had a pic up, but deleted it bec I was so embarrassed. I will re-post it, along with a new progress photo, in a few weeks/months(?) if I see any improvement.)

squats, stiff legged deadlifts and protein... these will make your butt bigger.

dont do the stupid girl thing where you lift 8% of your one rep max 57 times and think you're "toning" its absolute garbage. Girls should lift very similarly to guys... anywhere from 6-14 reps maxing out on last rep

SDC77
03-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Calories will make asses grow, not specifically meat.

Dr. Horse
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Calories will make asses grow, not specifically meat.

....aw nevermind. I was gonna do a joke about her ass making my meat grow, but that would just be childish now, wouldn't it?

fabulous-farha
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
oh, alaaaan, yoo hoo, where are you...?

i know this might come across as somewhat of a dumb thread, but it is a valid question (is meat as opposed to other forms of protein necessary to build bigger muscles??) (i just realized maybe i should have worded my inquiry like that instead of blurting out my first thought, oh well...) anyway, i would so appreciate your commentary on this issue. as you can see, i have gotten some differing opinions here... thanks in advance...

terracotta
03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Meet one of the vegetarian bodybuilders on this site:
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/goddessamazon/

Send her a PM if you like.

TheRdLessTravld
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
To answer your question no you do not specifically have to get any of your sources of protein from meat in order to build muscle. Like some of the other people have said you are eating a very lean diet that is excellent for cutting but if your goals are to put on some appreciable curves/muscle you should increase your calories. Looking at what you eat it would be in your best interest to add in some low glycemic carbs to your morning and post workout meals at the very LEAST.

Think of it like this, if you want to increase muscle mass increase your net caloric intake, if you want to decrease body fat decrease your net caloric intake. You could do this by cutting back the cardio,increasing your calories, or doing a little bit of both at the same time.

Some information you are leaving out is the type of excercise routine and the amount of cardio you are doing. This information could really help us in guiding you to your goal. If you are doing long distance medium intensity cardio for longer periods of time you could switch off to explosive high intensity cardio such as sprints, jump roping, body-weight calistenics(WTF SP?) or even kettlebells. I use kettlebells as my cardio mixed into a circuit with either abdominal work or jump rope depending on the day. Let me tell you it is intense and will have you burning alot of calories but still hitting your entire body hard (this is relatively advanced and im only referencing something that has worked for me at my stage of training).

Train heavy and hard on your compounds, eat big and you'll get those curves your looking for.

ironwill2008
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm no nutritionist, just someone who has been training for 15 years, and has put on 60 lbs. of muscle. For me, tissue proteins have been the answer- red meat, chicken, turkey, and fish. I gain muscle faster on red meat than anything else. I also feel better. If you're lifting weights, and want to add muscle, the accepted standard for protein intake is 1 gram per pound of body weight, per day; If you're really training heavy, then more. Hope this helps. Good luck.