PDA

View Full Version : Tri Sets Correctly?

sgh22
03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Ive been training 3 bodyparts a workout (Chest/Shoulders/Tris) and (Back/Bis/Legs). Can I hit a chest exercise, go right to shoulder, then tri? as a set. do this 4 sets and then do a different set of exercises for another tri set. Ive been doing 4 sets of 10 for each. ex: flat bench, raise, tri ex. - do this 4 times. then i go to incline, up rows, rope pushdowns. hope this makes sense.

Or do I need to do all chest exercises at a time, then go on to shoulders, and tris?

Fat loss is priority.

WVHEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Kinda sounds like a modified circuit training. Additionally sounds like alot of volume of exercises. However if it's giving you the results you are seeking, then absolutely. Could you post you entire workout, exercises,sets, reps, days on, days off.

rocketman44
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
It looks as if you are doing a sort of "jump" set routine, wherein you work one muscle group, then go to another (and in your case, still another) before returning to the first group. There's nothing inherently wrong with the jump (or the similar circuit) set method. In fact, it has the advantage of allowing you to rest the group you just worked as you advance to the next. It's also a variation of supersets, which helps accomplish the same thing.

Some might question the chest/shoulder/triceps split. Some guys feel that chest and shoulders are best left to separate days, since shoulders (especially front delts) and often engaged when doing chest work. Triceps are also engaged. But that split may work for you without any problems.

Bando
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
...Fat loss is priority.

Kinda sounds like a modified circuit training....

This is what I did when I lost 35 lbs. It was good in that it got me comfortable with weights, made me stronger and helped me shed a bunch of fat. I stuck with this as a newb for a good 10 months and it did wonders.

sgh22
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
How do you guys do your workouts? Finish one bodypart completely and then move on to another?

Should I hit chest and finish it completely and then move on to shoulders. So flat bench for 4 sets, then incline for 4 sets, decline...then do shoulders same fashion?

Bando
03-22-2008, 10:59 PM
How do you guys do your workouts? Finish one bodypart completely and then move on to another?

Should I hit chest and finish it completely and then move on to shoulders. So flat bench for 4 sets, then incline for 4 sets, decline...then do shoulders same fashion?

I like to keep busy in the gym, and I like to stake a claim on the next piece of equipment I need. If I'm on my last (or next to last) set of compound moves, I'll go ahead and work the next bodypart in.

As an aside, I always give flat bench and incline bench there own days, when you do incline with flat your not giving incline the respect it deserves.

boathead
03-23-2008, 04:42 AM

for what it's worth: i do not finish one body part before moving on. i jump around. it works for me. and i get a killer workout in half the time of the others i see.

Whiskeyjack
03-23-2008, 09:19 AM

Intensity=muscle growth, fat loss, improvement.

There are 3 ways to increase intensity:
- Increase the weight used per exercise
- Increase the number of sets/reps
- Increase the workout speed (ie. decrease the time between sets)

There's nothing wrong with tri setting the way you're doing; it works related muscles in the right order and increases the workout speed, which is important especially if "fat loss is a priority."

There's also nothing wrong with completing a full bodypart and then moving on - it's a different sort of intensity.

It doesn't matter what others do as much as if it works for you. I've tried training as you do and it does work - at least for periods of time. I'd suggest sticking with it and then alternating from time to time (ie. every other month) with traditional methods. Make sure you don't overdo it on the weights when tri setting and don't do too many sets (ie. watch for burnout). Good luck.

IR45N
03-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Intensity=muscle growth, fat loss, improvement.

There are 3 ways to increase intensity:
- Increase the weight used per exercise
- Increase the number of sets/reps
- Increase the workout speed (ie. decrease the time between sets)

There's nothing wrong with tri setting the way you're doing; it works related muscles in the right order and increases the workout speed, which is important especially if "fat loss is a priority."

There's also nothing wrong with completing a full bodypart and then moving on - it's a different sort of intensity.

It doesn't matter what others do as much as if it works for you. I've tried training as you do and it does work - at least for periods of time. I'd suggest sticking with it and then alternating from time to time (ie. every other month) with traditional methods. Make sure you don't overdo it on the weights when tri setting and don't do too many sets (ie. watch for burnout). Good luck.

Excellent, well laid out, informative response.

Wooly_Ace
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Excellent, well laid out, informative response.

x2.