PDA

View Full Version : 'The pump'

Stevelegh
03-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this question is a bit stupid, but I was in the locker room at the gym yesterday post workout and took a look in the mirror.

Obviously I was totally pumped, but I thought I looked great (no vanity here then??? ha ha!) and short of some cutting, felt that I was where I wanted to be.

A couple of hours later I returned to normal size (boo hoo!!!).

The questions I wanted to ask was:

1: How pumped do you guys get. I'd say I added 10 - 15% on my size with definition (no, I'm not quite vain enough to get a tape measure out in the locker room. Ha!)

2: If anyone has been here and has managed to build up to their previous 'pumped' size, how long, how difficult and what did they do to achieve this?

Again, sorry if this sounds daft, but I'm just curious. This has all stemmed from what my previous perception of what looking good is all about before I started hitting the gym.

When you look at the celeb / Men's Health / Movie stars and their bodies, and you've done a bit of lifting and understand the changes your body goes through post workout, you realise that these guys don't look like this on a day to day basis and are obviously pumped prior to filming or photo shoot. This being the case, I'm now not as impressed with these guys as I was prior to taking up lifting.

I'd love to see someone like Ryan Reynolds after he's missed a couple of sessions at the gym. Would he look as cool as he does on screen? I doubt it.

I have a buddy of mine who hits the gym before going out on a date. He persuades the girl to pick him up, and is conveniently 'not ready', with just a towel on having just 'taken a shower' with muscles bulging all over the place. Pretty funny, but it works for him!

Personally, I'd just like to look fit and healthy on a day to day basis.

Sorry, a bit of a diatribe I know, but I just wanted to get across my reasons for the questions.

Cheers

SR800
03-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Pump It Up!

johnrich69
03-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Keep hitting it and eating clean and you'll be where you want to be in no time!
I love that "pumped look" too after my workouts! lol

dbx
03-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I think that if you're like most of us, that you'll always want more....never even realizing that your most current pumped look is bigger than you once were while "deflated". It's a feeling like you'll never get there.... and that keeps you going and getting better. And you just can't see it when seeing yourself in the mirror on a daily basis.

asmolenski
03-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Not sure I understand your question. You get pumped and then it goes away after you leave the gym - so what? I have measured my arms before and after a workout and I can put on about 3/4 inch to my upper arms. If you want to look good all the time then you need to cut your body fat down to less than 10% - that way you will be vascular and your abs will be ripped and you will "look" huge whether you are pumped or not...

Stevelegh
03-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Not sure I understand your question. You get pumped and then it goes away after you leave the gym - so what? I have measured my arms before and after a workout and I can put on about 3/4 inch to my upper arms. If you want to look good all the time then you need to cut your body fat down to less than 10% - that way you will be vascular and your abs will be ripped and you will "look" huge whether you are pumped or not...

Hi Asmolenski,

You're right, you get pumped in the gym and then it goes away.

I didn't realise this until recently, and I thought the Mr Men's Health cover guy just took off his shirt and they took photos of him. No pump, just that was how he looked. When you realise that he's pumped to look his best, it kind of puts it all into perspective. He probably ain't much bigger than me in reality, but like you say, his body fat it under 10% and as a result, he looks really cool with a pump.

Most of the public don't know about the pump and just believe that these guys walk around with these physiques. I've learned otherwise, that's all.

You answered my first question great. There is a huge difference between pumped and natural. Going by your comments of a 3/4" increase in arm size, that's amazing! Again, forgive me, I just didn't know this.

I think Dbx answered my other question: The 'unachieveable goal' is what keeps us going. I'll stop chasing my 'pumped' look and just crack on with improving.

Thanks guys.

Tyrbolift
03-22-2008, 10:59 PM
The questions I wanted to ask was:

1: How pumped do you guys get. I'd say I added 10 - 15% on my size with definition (no, I'm not quite vain enough to get a tape measure out in the locker room. Ha!)

2: If anyone has been here and has managed to build up to their previous 'pumped' size, how long, how difficult and what did they do to achieve this? 1. I'd say more like around 10%

2. 6 months hard work with a broad spectrum of high and low rep sets, increasing poundages to keep intensity level up as able.

The Abomination
03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
You probably know this already but there are a ton of "NO" supplements out there that produce exactly what you describe

Bando
03-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I know the feeling. Sometimes when I'm jacked up after a good workout I say to myself "that's it, that as big as I wanna get, when I look like that relaxed I'm good." But then a few months go by and I say it again. I don't think we ever look in the mirror after a workout and say "whoa, to big! Time to cut back on the iron."

I love the swole after a good workout, it's addictive.

redweston
03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Keeponpumpin!-Red