PDA

View Full Version : Break from lifting due to surgery

AlexNJ
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I recently received the bad news that, for the second time in almost twelve years, I have cancer and will need surgery. It's the same type of cancer and therefore the same surgery I had the last time, involving incisions in the pelvic area near where the legs meet the torso. My doctor has told me to stay away from weight lifting for at least two weeks.

Aside from the pain I know I'll be experiencing and the prospect of radiation therapy down the road (I've been down this road before, after all), what bothers me a lot is the prospect of missing two weeks or more of lifting. I've made great gains over the past few months and this is a huge disappointment. I just wonder, among those of you who have had major surgery, how long anyone here has had to be side-lined and how much of a loss in terms of muscle mass and strength loss you've experienced.

Minotaur
03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh man, I am sorry to hear it. You have my best wishes... keep us posted.

I was out of the gym about 4 years ago, for 4-5 months due to a second job and then sleep apnea surgery.

I have to say that I lost very little, if any size and strength. I was shocked at how much I was still able to lift after all that time.

Werloc
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
You'll be surprised. Two weeks off will give your body some time to recover from working out. Plus, two weeks really isn't long. I hope all goes well.

AlexNJ
03-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you both. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get back to lifting in short order, although squats will be something of a challenge in the near term given the location of the surgical site. Radiation therapy to the torso in about a month will present its own set of challenges: fatigue and nausea. I've done it all before so I know how nasty it can be. The difference this time is that I lift weights and don't want to lose my gains.

bodyhard
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Sorry to hear that man best wishes and best of luck on your surgery and recovery God bless.

After my car accident I was out for several months I lost 40lbs of LBM, strength has drop to zero, but I am slowly making a comeback, your health is the most important thing, get through that first then worry about getting back in the gym....

AlexNJ
03-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks, John. You and I have exchanged PMs before on doctor and medical issues after your accident and, at that time, I never imagined I'd be going through this whole thing again. The last round was twelve years ago and I thought I was out of the woods. I hope you're doing well and just keep me in your thoughts.

Beachman
03-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your cancer coming back. Good luck with your surgery, treatments and your recovery.

Just remember you grow and recoup when you rest. I wish you nothing but the best, hang in there you'll be lifting before you know it! :)

crazycelt
03-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Wishing you a safe, speedy recovery!!

ntrllftr
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Damn man thats some rough Sh#t. I just had some minor surgery yesterday and will be out a week.

A couple weeks will not set you back at all in my opinion. Sounds like you have a great outlook and will be back to it in no time.
Best wishes man!