PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mass/weight gainer.

eddie.mac
03-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I am looking to gain mass and weight. I am thinking of getting Universal Great Gains 1728. Has anyone tied it? any feedback would be great. Thanks!

bodyhard
03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I am looking to gain mass and weight. I am thinking of getting Universal Great Gains 1728. Has anyone tied it? any feedback would be great. Thanks!

I never used it so I can't comment on it but I have used Nlarge for added calories and it worked really well for me. It helped me to reach 200lbs.

A weight I would never have reached with food alone

2bbig
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I just uped my carbs, potatoes, pasta etc. and started pushing heavier weight.

hulkinout
03-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I like Cytogainer the best since it's lactose-free (which is important for me) ; I've also used N Large 2 and Optimum's gainer, whose name escapes me.

eddie.mac
03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the advice! I usually have carbs with my dinner. I have rice, potatoes and pasta.

Geoff Richards
03-21-2008, 08:23 PM
hey Eddie
Im using the Universal Real Gains but havent done any weight measurements,I use it as my protein shake but also as a meal replacement.
Im using the vanilla flavour and really like the taste

em-dubya
03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I like BSN TRUmass - great flavors!!!
Cytogainer is my second choice- great price but not too fond of flavors

hulkinout
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I like BSN TRUmass - great flavors!!!
Cytogainer is my second choice- great price but not too fond of flavors

Do you know if TRUmass is lactose-free? I'd give it a shot if it was.

Bronzebird
03-21-2008, 08:45 PM

I buy what seems like a good deal for quality first and price second. I found that Cyto-gainer, Muscle Tech are blended whey protein isolates, "fortified" muscle building ingrediants. However ON's Gold Standard is 100% ion exchange Whey isolates with a great taste. I'm a hard gainer and I gained fat with 3 shakes a day with "all of them". One between breakfast and lunch. One 30 minutes before workout and one imediatley after workout. I gained about 15 pounds in 3 months. Some of the gain was muscle, most bulking fat. First time in my life I was concerned of being fat. I have to say drinking fortified shakes and daily supps may overload the system. Drop the extra supps and stick with the shakes is still a guessing game on body chemistry. I'm now cutting and just ordered cyto-gainer which is supposed to aid in cutting and gaining at the same time. Hope you find what your looking for...

abcreations
03-21-2008, 08:58 PM
My son is taking Serious Mass. He has a hard time keeping weight on since he plays 4 sports.

bulldog71
03-21-2008, 09:23 PM

I'd get the Universal Real Gains instead! More calories pe rserving, less carbs by about 30g, and 250% more protein per serving! A better nutrient profile, IMO.

eddie.mac
03-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks everyone! I tired a sample of Real Gains and I did not like the taste.

SR800
03-22-2008, 06:12 AM
peanut butter?

C5VetteLS1
03-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Does anybody know if the GNC Mass XXX is any good as a gainer?
Thanks,
Richard

Gunn27
03-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Why not make your own "gainer"? IMO, that will blow away anything that comes in powder form, and can save you a few $'s in the process.

hulkinout
03-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Why not make your own "gainer"? IMO, that will blow away anything that comes in powder form, and can save you a few $'s in the process.

Good point. Little less convenient, but if you take the time to make it yourself, it can be considerably cheaper. All you need is:

Protein powder (your call: whey, casein, blend)
Maltodextrin (carb powder)

You can add additional supps like BCAA's, creatine, glutamine, beta alanine, etc if you want as well. Basically, I do this when I'm going away for several days. I mix it up, pour it into a gallon-sized ziploc bag and pack a scoop.

Delaware_Dad
03-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I never used it so I can't comment on it but I have used Nlarge for added calories and it worked really well for me. It helped me to reach 200lbs.

A weight I would never have reached with food alone

X2 Nlarge is the best I've had.. I've been through a lot of them.. Best bang for your $$$ calorie wise... With whole milk, can't beat getting almost 900 cals in a shake...

-DD

redweston
03-23-2008, 08:39 AM
For Red, Lift Big + Eat Big + Sleep Big = getten huge!!
Keeponpumpin!-Red

Baldiewonkanobi
03-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a Nam Vet buddy I call "Vette Boy" who has the waisting side effect of Agent Orange poisoning. At 59, 6'3" 158 lbs. he has been thru all the "experts" at the VA and private heath providers. He came to me and asked that I help. VB also had ED so bad even the shot in the pipe did not work.

We shall asume that you are healthy, lift heavy, hydrated and sleep/rest well.

Vette Boys diet:
First he lay down HIS rules. He does not drink more than 2-3 beers a week. He smokes 2 pack of cigs a day. He loves coffee only for breakfast, pizza, steaks and ice cream (little of which was being digested) and I was to change none of this. He is on disability and trains at 11am 5 days a week. All I could do was to add suppliments/drinks and snacks.
This was the nutritional challenge of my life.

9am. 3 scoops chocolate Muscle Milk, one cup fat free 1/2 and 1/2 cream, one scoop fat free vanilla ice cream, splash of soda water. Whip it up. Whole wheat honey and p-nut butter sandwich. One mega pak of vit/min and one complete Omegas.

3pm repeat above.....7 days a week.

He also took a full spectrum digestive enzyme with ALL his meals. He would have a few in his pocket if he dined out.

Today VB is 200lbs. and still on this diet. His ED is gone and he has a sex crazed 38 year old red head girl friend.

freewheel
03-23-2008, 01:53 PM
peanut butter?

X2...All natural. Best extra calories you can find.

WVHEAVYDUTYFRAME
03-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Heavy squats!!!!!!!!!!

eddie.mac
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I ordered some N Large 2. I hope it works well. Thanks again!

FitIron
03-24-2008, 02:07 PM

Do you know if TRUmass is lactose-free? I'd give it a shot if it was.

Labrada's Lean Mass 60 is 98% lactose free.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/mass.html

True Mass does not make a claim to be lactose free.....OR if it is, I did not see, nor is that claim in the product description...

bodyhard
03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I ordered some N Large 2. I hope it works well. Thanks again!

It should work very well but remember food is the most important, this is for added calories.

If you are looking for a quick gain with just a shake alone it isn't going to work.

Good luck, PM me if you have any questions

hulkinout
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Labrada's Lean Mass 60 is 98% lactose free.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/mass.html

True Mass does not make a claim to be lactose free.....OR if it is, I did not see, nor is that claim in the product description...

Thanks for checking that out...I hadn't had time to get around to it myself.