PDA

View Full Version : food in Japan...so weird

UTrower07
03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I needed to have a small rant, although not negative, about foods (or lack of) in Japan and thought maybe some people would have some thoughts or alternatives that might exist here!

1) when something is in season, it's the ONLy thing we eat! Right now, it's Daicon radish. I thought I was eating noodles, no, radish, potatoes? no, radish, goop on top of my noodes? of course, radish!
Also, oranges (micon) are in season therefore they litter the tables, accompany every meal and fresh fresh micon juice is always available....definitely NOT a complaint!
The worst is when eggplant is in season...sick!

2) Wheat/whole grain does NOT exist here! I found the ONE loaf in the entire country today. Japanese don't really eat bread. Americans = bread, Japanese = rice to give you an idea. So there is only one little shelf stocked with "loaves" of white bread...by this I mean 6 slices of Texas Toast. But I found something they call Rye Bread, but is closer to wheat, with 3 slices in the bag. I bought it.

3) Peanut butter/nuts. Don't have that either! They have Skippy, and like a peanut butter mousse to spread on bread. Nuts....if you're lucky enough to find some, they're pretty expensive.

4) Fish obviously is not hard to find, albeit it's in a very different form than other parts of the world eat it. It is never just a fillet on a plate, more like the whole fish and you pick out the meat! But you've NEVER had better fish. Eyeballs and fish eggs are a big thing. As well, as squid tentacles!

5) Japanese tend not to drink anything with their meals. If they do, then it's maybe 6 oz. of tea, while the gaijins are sucking it down like fish.

6) Eggs - this is weird. I have found that when I use the fresh eggs they just brought in, they ALL have two yolks! Kinda creeps me out...

7) No distinction between meals. Brkft, lunch and dinner are all the same kind of food. I'm sorry but I can't have miso soup, ramen noodles and radish for breakfast, doesn't work for me!

8)Many things come in jello form - dessert, fish, etc. There is the brown speckled block of jello that tastes like fish and there's also the pink leaf shaped jello thing with flowers on it that tastes like fish - SURPRISE! but the clear blocks of jello taste like sugar...who knew!

9) Fermented soybeans are a choice food.

androyd
03-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Obviously all the fish is great for you and the rice you can certainly use in the morning, pre, and PWO. I remember you posting recently about being frustrated with your cut. Remember, try and keep things consistent and give it a solid 2 weeks before making any changes. Like try anywhere from 1800 to 2000 Cals eating 100% clean and with the right WO routine, which you seem to have down, you'll surely get good results. Drinking wise, just drink all the green tea you can stomach, otherwise just stick to water.. really don't need anything else tbh. Finally, why don't you just order some things int'l from online? Oh, and mind me asking what brought you to Japan?

Dracoy
03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
I needed to have a small rant, although not negative, about foods (or lack of) in Japan and thought maybe some people would have some thoughts or alternatives that might exist here!

1) when something is in season, it's the ONLy thing we eat! Right now, it's Daicon radish. I thought I was eating noodles, no, radish, potatoes? no, radish, goop on top of my noodes? of course, radish!
Also, oranges (micon) are in season therefore they litter the tables, accompany every meal and fresh fresh micon juice is always available....definitely NOT a complaint!
The worst is when eggplant is in season...sick!

2) Wheat/whole grain does NOT exist here! I found the ONE loaf in the entire country today. Japanese don't really eat bread. Americans = bread, Japanese = rice to give you an idea. So there is only one little shelf stocked with "loaves" of white bread...by this I mean 6 slices of Texas Toast. But I found something they call Rye Bread, but is closer to wheat, with 3 slices in the bag. I bought it.

3) Peanut butter/nuts. Don't have that either! They have Skippy, and like a peanut butter mousse to spread on bread. Nuts....if you're lucky enough to find some, they're pretty expensive.

4) Fish obviously is not hard to find, albeit it's in a very different form than other parts of the world eat it. It is never just a fillet on a plate, more like the whole fish and you pick out the meat! But you've NEVER had better fish. Eyeballs and fish eggs are a big thing. As well, as squid tentacles!

5) Japanese tend not to drink anything with their meals. If they do, then it's maybe 6 oz. of tea, while the gaijins are sucking it down like fish.

6) Eggs - this is weird. I have found that when I use the fresh eggs they just brought in, they ALL have two yolks! Kinda creeps me out...

7) No distinction between meals. Brkft, lunch and dinner are all the same kind of food. I'm sorry but I can't have miso soup, ramen noodles and radish for breakfast, doesn't work for me!

8)Many things come in jello form - dessert, fish, etc. There is the brown speckled block of jello that tastes like fish and there's also the pink leaf shaped jello thing with flowers on it that tastes like fish - SURPRISE! but the clear blocks of jello taste like sugar...who knew!

9) Fermented soybeans are a choice food.

I just have to say DAMN.

I don't know how you guys do it, I wouldn't survive in Japan. Please have the live octopus for me... Or is that korean?

http://yanyanxu.com/2008/02/26/national-geographic-eating-live-octopus/

PS I LOVE EGGPLANT!

UTrower07
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Dracoy:
the live octopus is Korea, gomen :) My friends had it when they had to skip out of the country for a day to renew their visas. I watched the video and it was hilarious because it sticks to the inside of your mouth!

androyd: Well, it's good to know that someone reads my posts :) I think I've gotten everything figured out now. It just took a little bit of teeter-tottering to get settled, which I think I am now, and things look to be going well already!

Why green tea?
I only drink tea, water and protein shakes here.... no temptations like in America. It'll be hard when I go back.

I'm only here for another 22 days (WOOHOO!!) so no need to order things now!
I'm a performing musician...which is why I'm here :)

androyd
03-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Why green tea?
I only drink tea, water and protein shakes here.... no temptations like in America. It'll be hard when I go back.

GT is a powerful antioxidant, has less caffeine than reg tea, and gives most people a great energy boost with more herbal benefits that just coffee for example. Overall, it has excellent bodyfat cutting properties. I use to drink a boat load of it, then discovered that GT extract is even more beneficial, and now just take that in pill form twice a day.

Ah, only 22 more days? Haha, you made it sound like life the way you know it is forever over. Just enjoy yourself and the experience as much as possible.. before you know it, you'll be back in the grind in the States.

Dracoy
03-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I love androyd's posts.

LITA
03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm in JAPAN,too.
There are no protein bar and shake in here|o|

Good luck.

UTrower07
03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
androyd: I love your posts too! Very helpful.
I've been here for 7 months now, I just got on bb.com though. So it has been a long ride so far!

Ke422azn
03-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Japanese food is great. Especially when they serve sushi on naked women used as tables.

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-128-feature/image044.png

JennaClaire
03-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Japanese food is great. Especially when they serve sushi on naked women used as tables.

I think she makes a better serving platter than a table.

Ke422azn
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
wow, way to argue over something stupid and insignificant. Your college pyschology curriculum must be pretty darn tough!

JennaClaire
03-21-2008, 12:11 AM
wow, way to argue over something stupid and insignificant. Your college pyschology curriculum must be pretty darn tough!

Where did I argue- I merely stated an opinion. It's 2am, and I'm going to bed soon- who ever said I had to apply all of my knowledge towards something so "insignificant" anyways? Also note: college psych curriculum? Heh-who said I was going that route this semester? A background in psych doesn't mean that's where I plan on ending up.

bdh
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I live in Japan too and this website has been great: http://www.fbcusa.com/eng/index.php3

I get my pb and oats from there and then order from bb.com and I'm pretty much set.

Where in Japan do you live?

Turtle_Titan
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Wow, I don't think I would last a week in Japan. Way different than the diet I'm use too.

Calipe
03-21-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm currently in Japan. Wow it feels good to finally have somebody understand what I have to go through here. I'm telling you, it is expensive as hell to bulk, you sometimes have to go through trial and error on the foods.

UTrower07
03-21-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm glad to see other gaijin have the same problem as me! Hopefully we can keep in contact and help each other out, de sho?
Watashi wa Nagoya ni sun de imas. (know your Japanese?!)

Are ya'lls gyms as tiny as mine?! All we have are a couple treadmills, stationary bikes, one set of dumbbells up to 20kg, and one big cable machine that has maybe 7 parts to it.

Matane!

echelon101
03-21-2008, 03:52 AM

1) at least radish is kcal free
2) Rye is a really good complex carb, I eat 100% Rye bread fills me up a treat

3) That really sucks although I suppose smooth PB is better than no PB....I think

4) Ah well good fish = good protein :D, oily fish will be high in Omega 3 which is a good thing

5) Good for training

6) More fat and protein
7) Hehe

8) Just like jello before you make it I suppose

9) Ah well at least they are high in protein

Japan is a really healthy place to eat although I suppose you can get sick of it after a while. Whats the rowing scene like? Is there a lot of coastal?

Belloc
03-21-2008, 10:11 AM
the most disgusting I ever ate was in japan

it was some sort of fish candy...

I **** you not it was wrapped like a candy but it was made of fish and soy sugar whatever damn that tasted foul

otherwise I remember eating a lot of rice and vegetables and sake which is really really sweet and I loved it

Calipe
03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm glad to see other gaijin have the same problem as me! Hopefully we can keep in contact and help each other out, de sho?
Watashi wa Nagoya ni sun de imas. (know your Japanese?!)

Are ya'lls gyms as tiny as mine?! All we have are a couple treadmills, stationary bikes, one set of dumbbells up to 20kg, and one big cable machine that has maybe 7 parts to it.

Matane!
Cool I'm still learning my Japanese but it ain't that good...lol.
Actually my gym is pretty big compared to other gyms, mostly Bodybuilders go there. We have all the necessary Free Weights, that's all I need.
Oh and just to answer to you, "Watashi wa Nagano ni sun de imas."

grapemaster
03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
sounds great, but sushi is my favorite food... and other stuff similar... i dont eat bread neway
eating food in season is umm...what you are supposed to do, very green of them. thumbs up for that :D

RachelBringIt
03-21-2008, 06:20 PM

it would be nice....until she farted

TMaG82
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
They must be doing something right, the Japanese have the longest average life span. I agree being Korean and going to Korea on occassion, while it's not as deprived as you describe it and maybe it's because I'm used to Korean food and know what sources of protein I can get, it's still a bit of a difference. The simple fact that I take a multi-vitamin (not even counting the 15-20+ pills) is something that's lost of many of my family over there. But they all have the build of a marathon runner, the fact that I'm not 135 lbs is (Most males I know there, either in the entertainment industry or family range in the 60-65 kg range, 132-143 lbs range).

ThaifooN
03-21-2008, 09:07 PM

you just ruined my fap

Dracoy
03-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Yea what if they REALLY needed to poop or something. Worst job ever.

Ke422azn
03-22-2008, 05:51 PM

If she farted, id ask for a refund. Besides, girls dont fart, its a myth.

Miinty.Oatmeal
03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I grew up in Japan and I think American food is odd. lol. =P I still munch with the chops too.