PDA

View Full Version : Some confusion on the value of calories

Phobos86
03-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Ok, I've been trying to find an answer for this for quite some time. As I can figure protein is what muscles are made out of. Carbs are a source of energy and helps carry all the nutrients you need to your muscles. Now calories, they are just a way to measure energy. more calories=more energy to complete the workout. Here's where I get lost.

I'm a 210 lbs ogre. If I take 210 grams of protein and around 150 grams of carbs. All spaced out for 6 meals a day (thats including pre- post- workout). Then I try to limit my calorie intake to say 2100 as best as I can. Will I be able to still build clean muscle if I can focus enough and press hard enough to get a good hard workout.

I always hear "you need alot of calories to bulk", but why? Why do is it take calories to build muscle.

Second question
Same thing goes for fat. If I have virtually all healthy fats and keep the fat count low and do a goodly amount of cardio (HIIT/endurance 6day a week split) Wont the calories not really matter?

Any help on this or explaination would be much appriciated. I get the feeling I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle by not understanding calories.

baarat
03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
What?..............eat too little, lose weight. Eat to much, gain weight. The difference is the amount of calories consumed.

Consuming fat has nothing to do with cardio......All calories count, including fat.

You need to learn some basic nutrition, then thing will make more sense. this thread explains quite a bit. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

Phobos86
03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Yea, but what if you eat alot of highly nutrional foods then work your flippin tail off. Your muscles will be forced to adapt to what is being required of them and your body will lose fat due to the excess exercising.

wont your body resort to burning fat for energy cause now the carbs are being used for building muscle?

Mr. Tripeps
03-20-2008, 07:11 AM
You really need to do a lot more reading... but to help you with your question in this thread-

you specified 210 grams protein and 150 grams of carbs. That equals 1,440 Calories. A gram of any macronutrient is equal to a certain amount of Calories. To stay under your stated 2,100 Calories, you would be allowed to eat 73.33 grams of fat (@9 C/gram).

A basic rule of bodybuilding/weight gain/weight loss is calories consumed vs. calories expended. No matter what you do for exercise, if your body isn't getting the required calories, you will lose weight... both body fat, and muscle mass. Unfortunately, the human body is built for preservation. Fat stores are saved for its last resort, almost for emergency purposes. This is why if you are eating under your required maintenance calories, whether it be fat, protein, or carbs, and even if you are getting enough protein, your body will break down your muscle fibers and use them for energy before it uses fat while under strenuous activity.

The first thing you should figure out is how many calories your body needs to maintain weight. Once you do that, then you need to learn as much as you can about marconutrient breakdowns, nutrition timing, and workout/cardio planning.

Good luck.

Phobos86
03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Ah I see... so the body just wants to play hard ball. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I really appriciate it.

Well, I'll post this false information that I believed was true just in case someone else is in the same boat.

Myth:
If you are putting your body through serious weight lifting your body will use carbs for muscle building and fat for energy.

Truth:
No matter what you put your body through your body will always use carbs as the primary energy source.