PDA

View Full Version : Should I alter my current wortkout for the next 3 to 6 months

orsum
03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
It has been about 8 weeks since I started the Bill Starr's 5X5 for intermediates, during this time I also added HIIT cardio (30 sec med pace 30 sec flat out repeat for 20 min) on the 3 none weight training days. My plan is to change after week 9 has been completed.

So far so good, achieving personal best?s and I think gaining a bit muscle as for my weight it has not changed.

My previous training consisted of the Body for life program for just less than 2 years, my next cycle was a 5 day?s per week full body 20 rep range program which lasted about 5 weeks and then my present program Bill Starr?s 5X5 for just on 8 weeks.

Even though everything is going well at the moment my understanding is that change is good and for me to keep progressing is it time to change.

I am looking for a new program or a progression to the 5X5 to help me progress further, would it be better to stay with this program or change anybody like to recommend/advise an alternative that would compliment my previous training programs with the aim to achieve my goal within 3 to 6 months.

My goal is stay between 100 and 112kg but to reduce my body fat from my present level of about 25% to about 12% or less.

orsum

britonarius
03-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Stay with it at least another 8 weeks as you are seeing changes whilst holding stasis on weight. 8 weeks in a training programme is not long.

Guff
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Why the rush to change? Is it still working for you?

Also, you are doing cardio on the days off? The days off are meant for rest. Doing cardio is not the same as rest.

bulldog71
03-20-2008, 07:14 AM
If you're questioning it, then that may be a good sign to change. IMO, it's best to switch to a bodybuilding type program coming off of a strength type program. More muscle mass, means highr BMI. You want to burn more cals and get lean? Every 10 lbs. of lean mass will burn an extra 600 cals a day at rest!! Pack it on, and the fat will leave.

orsum
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Interesting reply?s so far thanks,

Stay as you are
And
Maybe/change

Ok cardio instead of rest day is simply fat burning, any excess calories left after the muscle has had 24 hours to recover I burn up with cardio, 20 min HIIT. Why should I not do it? Also helps my VO2 max and many other associated supports structures for blood flow etc during your weight training.

Yes the 5X5 is working for me (But is it the right program can I do better) and yes I am giving it my best shot every time and yet I still feel that I can do more volume.

The reason I am looking for a change is cycling appears to be an acceptable practice that recruits the same muscle groups but with different exercises, I would also like to put some extra work after completing the 5X5 on the M, W and Friday evenings.

Take my military press and deadlift for instance yes I am achieving PB's and at the time I feel great but then its 7 days before I do them again.

I am no expert but it feels like the 5X5 intermediate does not have enough volume for me, don?t get me wrong I think it is working but I believe I can do more.

I feel there is a point were everybody gets to were you feel you can step up a gear I think I am almost there.

britonarius, man I agree with you 8 weeks is not long but if you feel it?s not right then hey another 8 weeks on something else is 8 weeks gained but staying were you are is 8 weeks lost.

Maybe the fact that I train alone and just asking and chatting to others on the net is my way of seeking a shot of confidence. Hell I could be spot on with what I am doing.

orsum

britonarius
03-20-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree with your sentiments on this. I used to train alone but got a cut in under the wing of an old ex comp bber, who then took over my training and - yes - it leaves me exhausted but i am making gains and no i don't feel like i could do any more. The bulk of it is supersetting on a 4X6 method but it is sheer volume [ 16 to 28 exercises] and evil heavy weights [ e.g 200 kilo on Romanian , stiff leg dead and Hack squats in combi } now that leaves me utterly wasted. Having said that , one week in 4 , he slow motions it and that is worse but the gains are so noticable, that people comment. The choice at the end of the day rests with you and if you feel you can do more , then my mentality and revised reply is go to it and do it!

orsum
03-21-2008, 12:49 AM
britonarius, thanks I think you put it just right "go to it and do it!" what do I have to loose nothing but everything to gain.

orsum

200kg Romanian nice going will be there one day.