PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on workout and other questions.

DavidJr74
03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I decided that I needed more sprint work into my program. Just getting my Squat up and cutting my bodyfat down isn't enough.

Usually I don't do any running at all; I play 2 hours of basketball everyday so I figure all the running around and jumping is enough but I decided that I needed actual sprint work.

Our school has a combine at the end of May and I wanna show the coaches that I don't run in the 5's anymore and show that I worked hard.

Heres my workout:

Day 1: ME LowerBody
Day 2: Off
Day 3: ME UpperBody
Day 4: Off
Day 5: DE LowerBody
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Repetition Upperbody

Questions:
1.) Should I replace the DE Lowerbody with running? I'm not sure about it though because I think the DE Lowerbody day is there for a reason.

2.) Could playing basketball everyday be counterproductive to my goals? I play basketball just about everyday for around 2 hours.

3.) If I do sprint work, I usually do it on the road rather then grass or a soft turf. Could that have an effect on my progress in speed?

4.) How could I incorporate running into my routine?

Reps of course.

fbdt99
03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
if you trying to improve for football then only play basketball on off days and try something like this. try to find grass or turf or a softer surface, running on hard surfaces can damage your knees. keep DE. bball would be counter productive on lifting days for sure

1-me lower
2-me upper/speed work/plyos
3-off
4-de lower
5-rep upper/speed work/plyos
6-off
7-off

Rsun88
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
leave the DE lower day. put the speed work on your leg days, preferably before you lift. Sprinting on the road puts you at risk for stress injuries, use a track or grass or turg if u can. go ahead and play bball all you want.

DavidJr74
03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
if you trying to improve for football then only play basketball on off days and try something like this. try to find grass or turf or a softer surface, running on hard surfaces can damage your knees. keep DE. bball would be counter productive on lifting days for sure

1-me lower
2-me upper/speed work/plyos
3-off
4-de lower
5-rep upper/speed work/plyos
6-off
7-off

The problem with your split is that the running is right after my leg days. And that usually means I can't run or be as quick because I am a little stiff from the leg workout from before.

DavidJr74
03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I decided that I needed more sprint work into my program. Just getting my Squat up and cutting my bodyfat down isn't enough.

Usually I don't do any running at all; I play 2 hours of basketball everyday so I figure all the running around and jumping is enough but I decided that I needed actual sprint work.

Our school has a combine at the end of May and I wanna show the coaches that I don't run in the 5's anymore and show that I worked hard.

Heres my workout:

Day 4: Off
Day 7: Repetition Upperbody

Questions:
1.) Should I replace the DE Lowerbody with running? I'm not sure about it though because I think the DE Lowerbody day is there for a reason.

2.) Could playing basketball everyday be counterproductive to my goals? I play basketball just about everyday for around 2 hours.

3.) If I do sprint work, I usually do it on the road rather then grass or a soft turf. Could that have an effect on my progress in speed?

4.) How could I incorporate running into my routine?

Reps of course.

Alright; I think I have an idea of what to do. I can add running on Day 4 because the dynamic effort lower body (the next day) isn't that taxing anyway. (I'm actually doing my running today; did 6 20 yard dashes already). I think I can also add sprint work on my repetition upperbody. Even though the ME lowerbody is the next day I don't think it effect me to much.

Day 4: Sprint work
Day 7: Repetition Upperbody/Sprint work

I'm also gonna limit the amount of basketball I do just because I wan't to get the most out of my lowerbody days.

As for the surface so far I marked 20 yards in my friends backyard since it is flatter then mine. At the moment I'm not gonna worry about my 40 yard dash; just gonna get my 20 yard explosion up.