PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill vs running outdoors

exguitarplayer
03-19-2008, 08:01 AM
In my weight room I have all the necessary gym materials for a ok home gym. Of course this includes a treadmill. After spending way too much for this device, my wife asked me "why do you run outside in the freezing cold, on slippery pavement when you have the treadmill." I quickly asked her to get in the SUV and I would show her....After a 1 mile ride...she really looked for the 1st time and understood. See attachemnt of my views when I do cardio. I am not F.E. Bailey but I rest my case.

baretta
03-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Sweet. I think I'd give up the eliptical for that! :)

bhaputi
03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Anything outdoors is better than indoors when it comes to running. I would rather run in traffic, and I often do, than hit a treadmill.

Beautiful view :)

phikappa
03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
I love running outdoors, but with my skin a treadmill is the best option.

samori
03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
great view...

much love for running outdoors, wouldn't take my wife on a tour though, she'd see some of the hotties that run the same route and that would be the end of that gig!!!:D

britonarius
03-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Outstanding view - we have mountains in the Netherlands also except they are called sleeping policemen or speed bumps. Running outside is always better , so do you ever run up the mountain?

dbx
03-19-2008, 09:09 AM
There are reasons for doing both.

Running outdoors:
Pros-
Fresh air
Scenery changes
Challenges leg muscles more
Less boring
Changes in incline

Cons-
Foul weather (sun, cold, heat, rain)
Smog/pollution
Takes a bigger toll on joints

Treadmill:
Pros-
Easier on joints
Convenience of use (no weather issues)
Controlled climate (temp)
Can watch TV :)

Cons-
Boring as hell
Doesn't develop stabilizer muscles as well
Tedious flow makes you want to commit suicide :)

Capt. America
03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Treadmills are just another way to attemp to make exercise easier, controlled temperature and humidity are a big negative compared to out door running. How many people do you see out doors running when it's 90 degree's with 80% humidity? Just me...everyone else in in the AC on their treadmills.

TANK25
03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
They are the same to me,but there is no way ,I can run on a 1/4mile track!!!!I don`t know why but I find it very hard to do.

Ingersoll
03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Treadmills are just another way to attemp to make exercise easier, controlled temperature and humidity are a big negative compared to out door running. How many people do you see out doors running when it's 90 degree's with 80% humidity? Just me...everyone else in in the AC on their treadmills.

I hear what you're saying; and when I was in the army I used to run all over Fort Knox, lots of wildlife, lots of challenging hills, and beautiful scenery. But that was when I was in my early 20's and while my super flat feet bothered me even then, I could deal with it.

But now, my back and my knees just can't take it. Also, I live in Riverside, California, which is almost completely paved over and where the air quality is ass. And even in the few remaining spots where there are trails, the mountain bike crowd dominates.

I have to run on a treadmill.

IronCamp
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice view. I love running outside, but I don't have any views quite so beautiful in my area. I think the best things I get to view in my neighborhood are a golf course and a fountain.

xMichaelx
03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
2 more treadmill pros:

1) If I run anywhere near my house, I'd get run over or mugged.
2) On the treadmill, I can do nothing but uphill, and this is what I do -- constant 12-15% incline. Keeps me in shape for backpacking.

bhaputi
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM

*waves* And me too! I love running in extremes - did several runs this winter in single digit temps and double digit snowfalls.....

IronCamp
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM

I live in TX, 90 degrees with 80% humidity is considered mild!

olds_cool63
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Treadmill and /or elliptical at home. Bike outside. My knees can't take the pavement anymore.

Minotaur
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM
When I ran I preferred running outdoors; I prefer walking outdoors; and I far prefer the mountain bike outdoors over a stationary bike. I used to run in the blazing sun and heat; snow; rain; everything but ice. I've ridden in March wind (it only took once to convince me that was not so smart :eek: ). Cardio machines are boring as hell.

dbx
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I used to run in the blazing sun and heat; snow; rain; everything but ice.

Ever consider a postal job?

I've ridden in March wind (it only took once to convince me that was not so smart :eek: )

Never mind, you're disqualified :p

crupiea
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I use a combination to train for an upcoming marathon. I dont go farther then 6-7 miles on the treadmill though. I alternate between outside and the mill becasue outside running aggravates my shins.

If I am in a hurry and just want to bust out 5 miles without getting chased by dogs and run down by cars, then I will just crank to tunes and hop on the treadmill.

I can run farther and faster outside and can continue to increase my mileage by splitting the two up.

Tomorrow is 18 miles outside. I cant wait.

The treadmill lets my do all kinds of controlled experiments as well such as the time I tried to drink a 6 pack of beer while running. Its the sloshing that really ruined that one. Also I can play with pacing and different speeds and get good feedback from it.

dsharp9000
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I wish i had scenery like that to run in. I am currently in more of an urban environment that sucks for running outdoors; but, if i had your view, i would run outdoors everyday.

Dutchman
03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
After 45 years competing on the roads from 5K to the marathon I am retired from competitive running. Nowadays the ability to run on the treadmill without the backpain I get on the roads is just too important. I'll stick to doing my HIIT on the rubber roadway.

Capt. America
03-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Sorry...didn't mean to offend you "old" guy's...I guess if that's all you can do it's better the treadmill than nothing. I just ain't ready to hang up my running shoes just yet. Though missing an ACL and having 1 new one, back problems...running just feels too damn good to stop.