PDA

View Full Version : lifts and drills

Varsity DB
03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
that helped you decrease your 40?? I'm about a 4.76 40 right now and want to get to a 4.6 before my combine in june...Anything that helped yall? I'm already in track btw

Fullback7
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
that helped you decrease your 40?? I'm about a 4.76 40 right now and want to get to a 4.6 before my combine in june...Anything that helped yall? I'm already in track btw

Lifts...
DE & ME Box squats (1-2 inches below parallel or at)
Glute Ham raise
Chin ups
lunges
step ups
Bg split squats
Deadlifts (RDL,SLDL,Sumo, and DE)

Drills & etc.......
Watch and read a **** load on technique
the valsalva technique (You will drop your 40 by .05-.1 guranteed)
Static Stretch daily
Quick ladder drills
Falling starts
weighted 10 and 20 yard sprints
plyometrics (e.g. VJB)
face down starts (10 yards)
jump back starts (20 yards)
hill sprints

Veeshmack
03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
the valsalva technique (You will drop your 40 by .05-.1 guranteed)

???

Fullback7
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
???

It's really hard for me to explain.

Even though I am not a big fan of Joe D's method here it is...

A: RP,
Great question. Breathing may be the most overlooked component of running the 40-yard dash. Proper breathing can have a profound effect on your forty time. One of my college athletes took .12 seconds off of his forty time this year just by correcting his breathing! (I was even a little bit shocked how well it worked.)

Anyway, I?ve experimented with many different breathing patterns and I think I have found the answer. The breathing pattern I am currently recommending is relatively simple and it works. There are speed ?experts? out there who will disagree with my method. Once again, I don?t care. I?ve experimented with this method for quite some time and I think it?s the best. Although it takes some practice, it is very efficient and can be mastered within days. Once again, this adheres to the training economy. Here?s how to do it:

Once you?ve set up in your 3-point stance and you?re bringing your off hand to your hip, take a HUGE breath in.

As you fire out of your stance, perform the Valsalva maneuver. Basically, you will forcefully ?exhale? without letting any of your air out.

Hold your breath through the first 10 yards. At approximately the 10-yard mark, exhale a little of your air. (Make the exhale short & quick.)

At about the 20-25-yard line, exhale a little of your air again. (Again, make it short & quick.)

At about the 30-35-yard line, perform a ?relaxed? exhalation of the rest of your air. This final exhalation should take you through the finish. You should be ?out of air? at about the 41-42-yard line.

You must practice this technique to get it down. The biggest mistake that athletes make is they release all of their air too soon. For example, if you run out of air during your final exhalation at the 35-yard line, you will be slower (as well as light-headed). The 2 keys to this technique are:

Take a big enough breathe at the start so you have enough air to get you through the race.
Time your exhalations properly. (I suggest you practice this by performing tempo runs at first. When you put it all together, it?s a great feeling!)

Joe D.

Varsity DB
03-16-2008, 09:29 PM
thankZ fullback ur MAD helpful haha

Veeshmack
03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
It's really hard for me to explain.

Even though I am not a big fan of Joe D's method here it is...

ahah... breathing technique
i thought this was a speed drill of somesort
oops, my bad

Varsity DB
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh yea and how long it take you to drop time on your 40 with those lifts/drills

Fullback7
03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh yea and how long it take you to drop time on your 40 with those lifts/drills

Hard to say exactly, since I dropped a hell of a lot of weight over the past 16 months. I can say though that the box squats probably uped my vert by 5-7 inches while dropping my 40 by around .2.

Varsity DB
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Aight kew....thank you for da help n all...and hope you keep doin what you doin well

HomeRunKingAK
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Isnt the Valsalva Technique one that women use when they are giving birth? Lol never thought that it was key in running.