PDA

View Full Version : body shocked from cheat meals?

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-16-2008, 05:44 PM
i got my mom eating healthy now and she is doing some of the biggest loser stuff. i was telling her how i eat and that i wouldn't cheat at all but my wife makes me eat something at least once a week. like long john silvers last week and mexican this week. i told her it really doesnt affect me. she told me that when u eat religously healthy like me ( all organic, raw friuts and veggies, no red meat, twigs and berries pretty much) that it sort of shocks the system and your body denies all the grease, saturated fats and other crap in it. is there any truth to this?

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
anybody

chev572
03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know how to explain it but yeah it does something alike. It gives your body a shock. Maybe somebody can explain further into detail about it.

Xanthippus
03-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I highly doubt it, if anything it's probably worse for you since your body's not accustomed to 'food' like that. She's probably just trying to sabotage your gains, jealous of your amount of self-control over your diet. (yes paranoid)

tsave31
03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I would doubt it.......if anything, the sudden likely overall increase in cals for that period may lead to a boost in metabolism if you are cutting.

The Solution
03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Shocking the body with a cheat meal or an excess of calories will help boost your metabolism by shocking it, there is some truth to that yet, but as for deep fried foods from long john silvers = junk.

Some mexican may be beneficial some resturants you can get some pretty good stuff, but in all essence if your going out try to avoid to deep fried junk.

there are tons of articles of cheat meals and how it affects the body in the nutrtion section on the MAIN page for the main articles

TheManchild
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I highly doubt it, if anything it's probably worse for you since your body's not accustomed to 'food' like that. She's probably just trying to sabotage your gains, jealous of your amount of self-control over your diet. (yes paranoid)

this guy has it true man. i've seen this **** all the time, and people ALWAYS are trying to get me to eat unhealthy. always. so just keep taht in your mind. if you dont do it too bad, once per week isnt terrible, just dont let her totally sabatoge your gains!

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-17-2008, 05:35 AM
i do feel like the cheat meals slow me down, think i will try only once a month

cbs
03-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I had (4) slices of pizza on friday evening. Took ALA 30 minutes prior and I was not even full, but just right. Then later on that night, my abs looked better. Go figure! But my point is, I don't cheat often. The last time I had pizza was about 2 months ago. And when I cheat, I cheat alot cleaner then what I did on friday and I DO believe it helps my metabolism. But only do a cheat meal and NOT a cheat day! And for crying out loud folks....you only live once.

ENJOY!

tinyman5000
03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
why dont you eat red meat

digitalgoodtime
03-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I had (4) slices of pizza on friday evening. Took ALA 30 minutes prior and I was not even full, but just right. Then later on that night, my abs looked better. Go figure! But my point is, I don't cheat often. The last time I had pizza was about 2 months ago. And when I cheat, I cheat alot cleaner then what I did on friday and I DO believe it helps my metabolism. But only do a cheat meal and NOT a cheat day! And for crying out loud folks....you only live once.

ENJOY!

amen. i HAVE to cheat once in a while or i'll lose focus on my goal. it's having the discipline to only cheat once in a while that's the hard part.

cbs
03-17-2008, 07:13 AM
amen. i HAVE to cheat once in a while or i'll lose focus on my goal. it's having the discipline to only cheat once in a while that's the hard part.

You're right! And you know what? I don't even it miss it like I thought I would.
I used to eat pizza at least once a week in my younger days.

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-17-2008, 03:11 PM
why dont you eat red meat

too much sat fat, and it really isn't good for u. i used to eat some organic steaks here and there but after this recal of beef i am going to steer clear of it for a while. get it "steer clear"

tinyman5000
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
too much sat fat, and it really isn't good for u. i used to eat some organic steaks here and there but after this recal of beef i am going to steer clear of it for a while. get it "steer clear"

lol, read an article about saturated fat. The kind found in beef and dairy is generally fine, hell even the kind found in chocolate is -alright-, gets turned into stearic acid and other monounsaturated fats. Also if you're paranoid about 1.5-3 grams of saturated fat found in your typical 4 oz cut of lean beef then get bison . Lets also look at the sheer amount of minerals in steak as opposed to chicken and whey protein powder and egg whites, three most popular proteins bodybuilders use. Wow, its sad when chicken, one of the least nutrient dense meats, is the most nutritious. maybe that's why you're skinny and weak, probably zinc and iron defficient. Probably take a multi to correct that, though, which we all know is natural. Shut the **** up and read a book

-Aaron-
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Cheat meals shock the system by raising leptin levels, yes. However, what people fail to realize is that it only lasts for a matter of hours.

ZekeXX
03-17-2008, 06:20 PM
lol, read an article about saturated fat. The kind found in beef and dairy is generally fine, hell even the kind found in chocolate is -alright-, gets turned into stearic acid and other monounsaturated fats. Also if you're paranoid about 1.5-3 grams of saturated fat found in your typical 4 oz cut of lean beef then get bison . Lets also look at the sheer amount of minerals in steak as opposed to chicken and whey protein powder and egg whites, three most popular proteins bodybuilders use. Wow, its sad when chicken, one of the least nutrient dense meats, is the most nutritious. maybe that's why you're skinny and weak, probably zinc and iron defficient. Probably take a multi to correct that, though, which we all know is natural. Shut the **** up and read a book

^Looked like it would be a good post until you tried to insult him and made yourself look like an asshat.

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-18-2008, 06:38 AM

first all i am not skinny or weak ***, check my profile before u judge somebody fairy, i am bigger than u. get it right and check out someones profile first.

CLARK_KENT_1982
03-18-2008, 06:44 AM

and for someone who gets so much from red meat he is a skinny fat 148 lbs and i am 180, but i am weak and skinny, plus i guess personal choice on what i want to eat doesn't matter. hatter. internet thug

Dm84
03-18-2008, 08:01 AM
and for someone who gets so much from red meat he is a skinny fat 148 lbs and i am 180, but i am weak and skinny, plus i guess personal choice on what i want to eat doesn't matter. hatter. internet thugI agree it's a personal choice, although I think red meat is beneficial.

Btw, he is only 5'4", so comparing weights is meaningless.

Mached
03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Bear with me here.....I didn't read the whole thread, but what exactly does this cheat meal "shock"? And whatever is "shocked"....please explain how this is done and the reasoning behind it.

In my opinion, the whole theory behind cheat meals magically "shocking" your metabolism is a bunch or garbage and is only an excuse to deviate from your diet.

I'm not one of those guys that eats 100% clean all the time....even on a cut. The truth is that a little bit of cheats here and there is ok, as long as you fit it in properly. But don't make crap up just to justify it.....it's silly.

xl Achilles lx
03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Bear with me here.....I didn't read the whole thread, but what exactly does this cheat meal "shock"? And whatever is "shocked"....please explain how this is done and the reasoning behind it.

In my opinion, the whole theory behind cheat meals magically "shocking" your metabolism is a bunch or garbage and is only an excuse to deviate from your diet.

I'm not one of those guys that eats 100% clean all the time....even on a cut. The truth is that a little bit of cheats here and there is ok, as long as you fit it in properly. But don't make crap up just to justify it.....it's silly.

Read one of the many articles on t-nation about refeeds raising leptin levels. You might be surprised.

Schutzstaffel88
03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Ate El Ranchero last Saturday, lost 6lbs the next day... more exited me than I put in... then everyone told me I looked thinner. In conclusion, I would say yes if you put something your not used to into your body it flushes it out and then some. No scientific evidence, just going by how my body reacts to things.

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Read one of the many articles on t-nation about refeeds raising leptin levels. You might be surprised.

A refeed is different than a cheat. I believe that refeeds serve a purpose. However it's what food is included in the refeed.....I can tell you one thing....it's not Krispy Kremes!

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
A refeed is different than a cheat. I believe that refeeds serve a purpose. However it's what food is included in the refeed.....I can tell you one thing....it's not Krispy Kremes!

A refeed and a cheat do essentially the same thing...

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
A refeed and a cheat do essentially the same thing...

Except that refeeds are usually done with quality carbs....cheats not so much.

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Except that refeeds are usually done with quality carbs....cheats not so much.

That's not the point. ;)

The point is both are there to do the same exact thing. :)

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:36 AM
That's not the point. ;)

The point is both are there to do the same exact thing. :)

Except that one (cheats) contain all kinds of other crap that you don't need. Look, if you want to go and eat junk, go for it....it's not gonna kill you. But don't tell me that eating a bowl of potato chips is the same as eating a sweet potato.....that's nonsense......and I'm speaking from experience here. Yes, they both will replenish glycogen stores...however the one will do much more damage than the other!

v4lu3s
03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
there is actual science behind the "cheat" meal. Its nothing to do with "shocking" your body though I often get diarrhea from eating a crappy meal.

Basically when you are in a caloric deficit your body begins to adjust, by lowering certain hormone/enzyme levels, thus slowing your metabolism. A cheat meal that is a caloric excess will increase those levels, speeding up your metabolism again. I saw The Biggest Loser mentioned in the thread, my wife watches that show, last week they even talked about the cheat meal, and how the caloric excess bumps your metabolism back up to speed again.

Its not eating garbage foods and trans fat that works, its excess calories...if you want to do it the way science backs it that.

For most people a cheat is just eating garbage for psychological satisfaction.

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
there is actual science behind the "cheat" meal. Its nothing to do with "shocking" your body though I often get diarrhea from eating a crappy meal.

Basically when you are in a caloric deficit your body begins to adjust, by lowering certain hormone/enzyme levels, thus slowing your metabolism. A cheat meal that is a caloric excess will increase those levels, speeding up your metabolism again. I saw The Biggest Loser mentioned in the thread, my wife watches that show, last week they even talked about the cheat meal, and how the caloric excess bumps your metabolism back up to speed again.

Its not eating garbage foods and trans fat that works, its excess calories...if you want to do it the way science backs it that.

good post.....my thoughts exactly.

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Except that one (cheats) contain all kinds of other crap that you don't need. Look, if you want to go and eat junk, go for it....it's not gonna kill you. But don't tell me that eating a bowl of potato chips is the same as eating a sweet potato.....that's nonsense......and I'm speaking from experience here. Yes, they both will replenish glycogen stores...however the one will do much more damage than the other!

You are missing the point entirely...

The whole point of the "refeed/cheat" meal is to raise leptin levels. Both of which do that. As a matter of fact, "cheat" meals raise those levels higher than "refeeds". I never said anything about which was healthier, just that they do essentially the same thing.

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Yes, however, the effects of a one day "Refeed" only last but a mere few hours. Where as prolonged (weeks) of calorie excess restores your metabolism completely. A one day refeed/cheat will not, I repeat, will not do that for longer than a few hours.

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
You are missing the point entirely...

The whole point of the "refeed/cheat" meal is to raise leptin levels. Both of which do that. As a matter of fact, "cheat" meals raise those levels higher than "refeeds". I never said anything about which was healthier, just that they do essentially the same thing.

Ok....I agree with that....I just was saying that it sounded like many of the above posters are looking for a "scientific" reason to gorge themselves every once in awhile. It's the same as the one fellow the other day requesting photos of people who drank alcohol and were into bodybuilding. He simply wanted to be able to justify his weak will power with examples from other people.

All of my posts dealt with which option was healthier.....

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, however, the effects of a one day "Refeed" only last but a mere few hours. Where as prolonged (weeks) of calorie excess restores your metabolism completely. A one day refeed/cheat will not, I repeat, will not do that for longer than a few hours.

Tell that to Layne Norton. 'Nuff said. I'll believe him over just about anybody.

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok....I agree with that....I just was saying that it sounded like many of the above posters are looking for a "scientific" reason to gorge themselves every once in awhile. It's the same as the one fellow the other day requesting photos of people who drank alcohol and were into bodybuilding. He simply wanted to be able to justify his weak will power with examples from other people.

All of my posts dealt with which option was healthier.....

Heh, no biggy. We essentially were saying the same thing.

Also, I agree with the above poster; a dirty cheat meals is all about the psychological.

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Tell that to Layne Norton. 'Nuff said. I'll believe him over just about anybody.

You tell that to Layne Norton...

That is where I got the damn information. He has studies saying that refeed meals restore leptin levels for a few hours.

You need to research and comprehend a bit better.

Mached
03-18-2008, 09:51 AM
You tell that to Layne Norton...

That is where I got the damn information. He has studies saying that refeed meals restore leptin levels for a few hours.

You need to research and comprehend a bit better.

I'm currently trained by Layne.....incorporating refeeds twice a week.....one day at a time.....

Hey.....I don't mean any harm here man. Let's cool off here....

-Aaron-
03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm currently trained by Layne.....incorporating refeeds twice a week.....one day at a time.....

Hey.....I don't mean any harm here man. Let's cool off here....

I'm not angry, heh.

This is a quote from Layne on cheating:

Joel Marion of "The Cheat to Lose Diet" stated that leptin levels drop after about a week of caloric restriction BUT it only takes 1 day of refeeding/cheating to restore leptin levels. If this is the case, I think that people who are trying to get ready for a competition would not really have to lower their caloric intake as much because they could avoid the body plateauing and therefore....having to recover from a contest would not have to take as long. Do you agree with this?

Layne's Response:

what he doesn't tell you is that it only restores leptin for about 6-12 hours

Mached
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm not angry, heh.

This is a quote from Layne on cheating:

Alright......I can't dispute that. As I said before.....my original intent was to curb the notion that gorging themselves with junk does more harm that good. Apparently I'm not as up-to-date on the Lepitin issue. Thanks....