PDA

View Full Version : 40 yd dash

cmml
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm a bit curious. I'm a freshman and I'm one of the strongest and fastest freshman in my school. Just for some reason my 40 is a 5.6 and it is weird because I normally can beat people if we are just sprinting for fun or w/e. I heard a bunch of coaches say it is my get off and I've been trying to work with it but nothing works.
Btw, I'm 5'10 179 pounds, around a 14% body fat and I am a football player. I am also running track for speed. And the coaches put me on the varsity roster(i'm 1 of the 3 chosen) please tips advice, I really need to fix this fault.

JTringer
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Search

Cinderblock
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
If your starts are the problem then work on your starts, thats it. Reason being is that the 40 primarily measures how fast your start, not your general speed thats why I don't like it but oh well dude.

Dakidwondah
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Read up on those .pdf files
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=397245

cmml
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
If your starts are the problem then work on your starts, thats it. Reason being is that the 40 primarily measures how fast your start, not your general speed thats why I don't like it but oh well dude.

Amen dude, yeah I've been working on it just 5.6 looks disgusting haha. I think I need to be more aggressive off my start, and that for somereason being in 3 point(sprinter position) makes me feel off balance like if I push to hard I'll fall. I know i'm probably doing something wrong.

darknessWithin
03-16-2008, 04:15 PM
lower weight more speed
im assuming

Ninjanerd8
03-16-2008, 04:41 PM
If you've ever done bicep curls using cables, instead of free weights, you'll notice, obviously, that the cables come from the bottom. A simple exercise you can do to improve your explosiveness involves harnessing your ankle to the cable and facing away from the machine. If it is your left leg that's attached you stand on your right leg only and pull your left knee up and out straight ahead of you as fast as you can. You should be able to do quite a few reps with a reasonable weight. The first time I did this exercise I had trouble even lifting my legs to walk right after.

You might also want to try doing up downs or burpees to improve your ability to move your body from prone to standing.

Train with caution and good luck.

squatdr
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
you can almost always cut time simply with just setting up better. getting your body in the right angles for optimum acceleration will cut huge amounts of time off.
when you are in a set postion, try to make it so that your front leg makes roughly a 90 degree angle and the back makes roughly a 120 degree angle. simply doing this should help.
another great drill for teaching your body to get into the proper postion to accelerate is to do push up starts. just make sure to keep your head in line with your body and not look up on these and it should take care of itself.
also, get stronger.

best of luck,
AC

cmml
03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
The thing is yeah I gotta work on my form. Just I don't get it like should the wierd 3 point stance feel normal or like uncomfortable? Because I mean I look like a slow cow getting off then I just speed up toward the middle-end and everyone tells me it's really fast at the end just not so much in the beginning. Thanks everyone for the tips.

ruga buga
03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
The thing is yeah I gotta work on my form. Just I don't get it like should the wierd 3 point stance feel normal or like uncomfortable? Because I mean I look like a slow cow getting off then I just speed up toward the middle-end and everyone tells me it's really fast at the end just not so much in the beginning. Thanks everyone for the tips.
i find 3-point pretty balanced, look youyyube for joedefranco's training/sprint videos i think it is, some good ideads of how to get out the blocks and form etc...

cmml
10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
It has been over a year and a half and I am at a 4.72 40 yd dash XD

rowza
10-02-2009, 04:12 AM
Amen dude, yeah I've been working on it just 5.6 looks disgusting haha. I think I need to be more aggressive off my start, and that for somereason being in 3 point(sprinter position) makes me feel off balance like if I push to hard I'll fall. I know i'm probably doing something wrong.

thats the purpose of starting blocks..... there angled for you to feel like you are falling = your legs & arms moving faster..

hammerdown74
10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
As everyone else has said, it is all in the start.. .. You really don't get the opportunity to build speed as in the longer sprints, SO START MUST BE STRONG!!!

Showtyme3
10-02-2009, 05:33 AM
4.7 is pretty good for your age, and a GREAT improvement from your 5.6! Im sure the majority of that was just technique or you werent into sports (ie worked out or played them ALOT) until the last year or two. So, congrats on the improvement! I would recommend a few things to get even faster.

First, continue to get your 40 technique down, and the different phases that you go through during the 40. After you have good technique and are "comfortable" running the 40, then I woudl recommend...

Two, If there's no blocks, and/or you are not used to starting out of blocks (ie, been doing track or using blocks for several years) then don't bother with the 3 point stance at your start. For the majority of highschool athletes the 3 point stance in the 40 hurts them, because they do not have the strength and technique to make use of it. Granted their are definitely exceptions! If you can run in the 10's in the 100 or under a legit 4.55 then you should have sufficient strength and technique to use the 3-point or blocks. Otherwise, get in a stance that is comfortable for your start. Up until I played in college, I never used a 3 point stance and I was still able to consistantly run low 4.4's and high 4.3's. Just remember to stay low at the beginning.

Third, Do your box jumps and power cleans.

Fourth, DO YOUR BOX JUMPS AND POWERCLEANS!!!

Just my 2 cents, goodluck and dont ever quit!

Dennis71
10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
It has been over a year and a half and I am at a 4.72 40 yd dash XD

good job bro... it feels good making big improvements in the 40yd dash because its soo hard to get faster

cmml
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
4.7 is pretty good for your age, and a GREAT improvement from your 5.6! Im sure the majority of that was just technique or you werent into sports (ie worked out or played them ALOT) until the last year or two. So, congrats on the improvement! I would recommend a few things to get even faster.

First, continue to get your 40 technique down, and the different phases that you go through during the 40. After you have good technique and are "comfortable" running the 40, then I woudl recommend...

Two, If there's no blocks, and/or you are not used to starting out of blocks (ie, been doing track or using blocks for several years) then don't bother with the 3 point stance at your start. For the majority of highschool athletes the 3 point stance in the 40 hurts them, because they do not have the strength and technique to make use of it. Granted their are definitely exceptions! If you can run in the 10's in the 100 or under a legit 4.55 then you should have sufficient strength and technique to use the 3-point or blocks. Otherwise, get in a stance that is comfortable for your start. Up until I played in college, I never used a 3 point stance and I was still able to consistantly run low 4.4's and high 4.3's. Just remember to stay low at the beginning.

Third, Do your box jumps and power cleans.

Fourth, DO YOUR BOX JUMPS AND POWERCLEANS!!!

Just my 2 cents, goodluck and dont ever quit!
Heh thanks for the tips man. I dunno i think i just grew and worked out a lot. But I want to get down to a 4.5 by next year senior year for football.. I should have some scouting looks by then. Maybe bulk up to 215 or 220. Also i play middle linebacker XD

07hudson
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Good advice in here so far. But to make it pretty black and white...

Technique- I went from a 4.7 to a 4.5 just working on my technique in one day. Need pointers on technique...let me know.

Explisiveness- 40 yard dash is a test of acceleration...not speed. So how fast you accerlerate is what's most important. 9/10 you won't even hit top speed on a football field. Plyometrics, powercleans, hangcleans, deep squats, and deadlifts are all your best friend. My fav plyo exercises are box jumps, jump tucks, and frog jumps

Chest-Rockwell
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
start adding sprints and what not to your workout. Also some people are faster then others naturally. I thought I was pretty fast cause I ran a 5 flat on the forty at 200lbs but then my friend who's black and like 6'2 220 pounds comes in and runs it in 4.7. Grinded my gears.

you just gotta work on it dude.

beertank23
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
See J.Defranco gets his athletes to do 3 mountain climbers, straight into a 40, to work on explosive power!

I agree with the box jumps to build fast muscle contractions! (fast twitch)

panthers702
10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
most likely form im 6'1 210 pounds and i run a 4.6 40 yard dash and 10% body fat