PDA

View Full Version : Christian or Atheist-What If You're Wrong?

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 10:09 AM
What if at the end of your life you find out you were wrong about God?

If you're a Christian, what have you lost? You lived your life based on an unchanging standard. There's no heaven, so when you die you're just dead.

If you're an atheist, what if you were wrong and the Christians were right? If you were influential in your life to your family and friends, not only will you spend eternity in hell, you probably helped send them to eternal punishment with you.

If you lived the Christian life for nothing, and there's no eternal life you won't have any apologizing or regret, because you'll just be dead.

If you lived the atheistic life in error, you'll have all eternity to regret your decision.

While I wouldn't want anyone to base a belief in Christianity or Atheism based on fear, it does make one pause and reflect.

kate00
03-16-2008, 10:09 AM
What if I'm not?

Rune
03-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Why does every person have to go and make it Atheism or Christianity. What about every other f**king religion on the planet, there are far far far too many to count.

It's best not to worry about what path you choose, simply try to live life in an ethical manner.

2 HUGE
03-16-2008, 10:17 AM

If you're a Christian, what have you lost? You lived your life based on an unchanging standard. There's no heaven, so when you die you're just dead.

If you're an atheist, what if you were wrong and the Christians were right? If you were influential in your life to your family and friends, not only will you spend eternity in hell, you probably helped send them to eternal punishment with you.

If you lived the Christian life for nothing, and there's no eternal life you won't have any apologizing or regret, because you'll just be dead.

If you lived the atheistic life in error, you'll have all eternity to regret your decision.

While I wouldn't want anyone to base a belief in Christianity or Atheism based on fear, it does make one pause and reflect.

well if Christians are wrong we'd never know. because if we die and thats it, then thats it, we wont have a conscience to think "well, we were wrong" because we'd just be dead

Why does every person have to go and make it Atheism or Christianity. What about every other f**king religion on the planet, there are far far far too many to count.

It's best not to worry about what path you choose, simply try to live life in an ethical manner.

x2

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 10:28 AM
im not wrong though

LetsJustTalk
03-16-2008, 10:41 AM
if christians were wrong, they just spent their lives being meaningful and kind to one another. if atheists are wrong, they spent their lives being know it all dorks and will burn for eternity. christians win again

sumguy
03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Pascal's wager, it's been done to death.

Ignores the possibility that Christianity is wrong, and God punishes Christians harsher than the non-religious.

Ignores the possibility that someone following religion simply for a reward, and not due to internal belief, will be punished the hardest.

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
if christians were wrong, they just spent their lives being meaningful and kind to one another. if atheists are wrong, they spent their lives being know it all dorks and will burn for eternity. christians win again

Hey aren't you AKR's friend?

AKR
03-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Pascals Wager is an awesome argument

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

JAGERBOY
03-16-2008, 10:48 AM
You know what, **** a god that would burn someone in hell for not believing in him. I'm not going to buy into something with no good reason to do so. Also I don't think the Bible says that non believers go to hell, just people that reject Christ. I don't reject Christ because I don't believe he existed, in the Biblical sense.

AKR
03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey aren't you AKR's friend?

Friend..."with benefits." ;)

Rune
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM

*slow clap*

*crickets*

PS.. I love the irony in your responce. :)

Fuelish
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM

My thoughts exactly. There are many paths to one truth....

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Friend..."with benefits." ;)

wow bro yes homo?

Nextstopearth
03-16-2008, 11:14 AM
6mmskXXetcg

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Ethics based on what?

Because if ethics don't have an unchanging base, your ethics change with what society says is ethical.

And by definition, that's not ethical.

Rune
03-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Ethics based on what?

Because if ethics don't have an unchanging base, your ethics change with what society says is ethical.

And by definition, that's not ethical.

Ethics need to grow as knowledge does, there cannot be an absolute unchanging base(the only absolute is the recognition of other's consciousness). I would say ethics are very much an individual thing, more than they are societal. My ethics are not the same as any one else's, they may come close, but they will never exactly reflect my own.

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
So one person's ethics say ****phila is ok, and another says bestiality. Then another's say both is wrong?

Sounds more like no ethics at all.

Sorry, I narrowed the topic to not include all religions. It was done on purpose to limit the subject matter. You of course are welcome to start a thread with Scientology, Buddhism ect.

There are lots of responses here, but not many answers to the question. Imagine that, spin in a forum.

JAGERBOY
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
So one person's ethics say ****phila is ok, and another says bestiality. Then another's say both is wrong?

Sorry, I narrowed the topic to not include all religions. It was done on purpose to limit the subject matter. You of course are welcome to start a thread with Scientology, Buddhism ect.

There are lots of responses here, but not many answers to the question. Imagine that, spin in a forum.

Sorry. Here is my answer.

If a god exists, he will not send me to hell for non belief. There is no such thing as hell. Hell is the invention of humans and has no basis in reality. There is no reason to assume that a god would send you to "hell" for ANY reason. In my eyes Christianity has been proven to be false, so anything it says will happen is just mythology.

Good enough answer?

TricepsNGirls
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
So, let's all go to church because we're scared of "God"!

Amazing to see how the Vatican's crowd control still works so well to this day.

Stop embracing peasantry. It's like wanting to be enslaved.

Rune
03-16-2008, 11:39 AM

I couldn't tell you what goes through the mind of a ****phile, but I would assume there is a lot of self reassurance and poor reasoning that they use to try to justify their actions to themselves. This is also the reason that morality trumps individual ethics in society.

The chances that I'm wrong about Christianity is exactly the same as me being wrong about any religion, it's not something that is worth considering because the odds of any of them being 100% right is so minuscule.

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
but another point of view, better addressed in another thread.

God doesn't send anyone to heaven or hell. Each individual chooses.

When you drive your car, there are traffic signs that warn you so you can drive safely. Sure you can get a ticket for not obeying, but no one can really make you.

Same thing with God. He puts signs out to guide you. You can heed the signs or not. If you don't, there's consequences.

When you fly in a plane, you quickly find out there are places called airports with runways that were made for planes to land on. It's possible to put the plane down on a busy highway, in a field, or in the ocean. But it doesn't change the fact that there's only one safe place to land an airplane.

JAGERBOY
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Barry, who was your "not an answer at all" in response to? If you are going to whine about people not replying, at least have the courtesy to quote them or reply to them.

kate00
03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
This thread starts to look more and more like a lame convertion attempt.

JAGERBOY
03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
This thread starts to look more and more like a lame convertion attempt.

I really don't even think he wanted an answer, he just wanted to proselytize.

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 12:04 PM
he's 49, long over the hill, nothing will change his opinion at this point. Waste of time really.

Rune
03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I really don't even think he wanted an answer, he just wanted to proselytize.

Yeah I don't really see much of an attempt at an actual discourse... that's just towing the line around here though.

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 12:14 PM
to stimulate conversation and thought on a specific subject.

"over the hill"? I'll bet you stayed up all night thinking that one up.

"Big Arm, Big Gay". Is the other arm smaller or something?

If you're gay and 22 and find my age humorous, that's pretty interesting. Since statistics say you'll live, what, 20 years less than a heterosexual man?

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM

If you're gay and 22 and find my age humorous, that's pretty interesting. Since statistics say you'll live, what, 20 years less than a heterosexual man?

yeh you aint too bright

JAGERBOY
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
*unsubscribes*

Pnigro
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

~ Marcus Aurelius

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.llamanade.net/pictures/Thread%20Pics/sucks.jpg

sumguy
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Okay now you're calling people gay? That's it, I'm out, your thread does not have potential.

Barry Bonds
03-16-2008, 12:40 PM
merely reading the bottom of "unispired" message.

Uninspired123
03-16-2008, 12:41 PM
merely reading the bottom of "unispired" message.

lol man you are so stupid it's hilarious

Merakon
03-16-2008, 12:44 PM
"Ifs" are endless and in abundance but I think what is more important is to live for today only because those "ifs" become too distracting.

bmy-
03-16-2008, 09:12 PM

Pascals Wager. The only problem is -- how do you choose which God to worship. I'm of the opinion it's better to be safe. Tons of Gods to choose from.. pick one and cross your fingers.

The Marcus Aurelius quote is completely correct. Judged by works. 'Saved by faith'. Levels of 'glory/heaven' are obtainable without being saved. Just not the highest.

Lager1
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Good old pascal's wager.

You know, I would LOVE to believe that there is some omnipotent being who loves me and is watching over me.

But I can't CHOOSE that. I cannot CHOOSE to believe in something that my brain thinks doesn't make sense, just as how I cannot force myself to believe that 2+2=5.

If there is some god, and he punishes me for using my "god-given" brain, then he is not worthy of praise and I have done nothing wrong.

And anyway, if there really was an omnipotent god, I doubt he would give a **** whether or not we "believed" in him. Who the **** cares? It's like looking over an anthill and saying "If you ants don't believe that I exist, then I will make you suffer in misery and anguish! HAHAHAHAH I AM SO POWERFUL!"

Lager1
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

~ Marcus Aurelius

Wow...that pretty much sums up what I was trying to say. That guy was one hell of a philosopher.

Dark_MadMax
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Repent! What if you are wrong about Flying Spaghetti Monster?!!!? Only his noodliness can save you from eternal damnation!

Resonator
03-16-2008, 10:54 PM

I'd rather live freely than to live in fear due to the extremely rare chance that Christianity might be correct.

shadowwalker021
03-16-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not about to just be a Christian 'just in case'
like some kind of ****ing life insurance.

the funny thing is a lot of christians do that, thinking they can outsmart their god hahaha

Pnigro
03-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Good old pascal's wager.

You know, I would LOVE to believe that there is some omnipotent being who loves me and is watching over me.

But I can't CHOOSE that. I cannot CHOOSE to believe in something that my brain thinks doesn't make sense, just as how I cannot force myself to believe that 2+2=5.

If there is some god, and he punishes me for using my "god-given" brain, then he is not worthy of praise and I have done nothing wrong.

And anyway, if there really was an omnipotent god, I doubt he would give a **** whether or not we "believed" in him. Who the **** cares? It's like looking over an anthill and saying "If you ants don't believe that I exist, then I will make you suffer in misery and anguish! HAHAHAHAH I AM SO POWERFUL!"

EXACTLY! That is the problem with Pascal Wager.

Another problem is that you can't trick God. He will know that you are believing based on fear of going to hell and not based on love.

bmy-
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
EXACTLY! That is the problem with Pascal Wager.

He will know that you are believing based on fear of going to hell and not based on love.

Which is stated where? There's more than one type of 'love'. I do believe the .. hebrew (I think) language has 3 different words for love.

You don't have to be all fuzzy-wuzzy with God. Eventually.. I hope i'll learn to love God -- but for now if he commands, I obey. Which is enough.

hokiebird
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

I might get into trouble about this statement... but in my "opinion" and the "knowledge" I have obtained through the Bible... I woulkd have to say that anyone who believes in other gods would be in the same line wiht the atheist. Respectfully as it can be precieved to the reader.