PDA

View Full Version : I want to lose fat...and also muscle (?!?!)

bc98
03-15-2008, 02:49 AM
I feel I'm too heavy for my height. If I shed pure fat to the point where I'm at 10%BF, I'd still be ~150lbs, which is quite a bit for a 5'3" fella like me. This leads me to believe that I'll have to lose a substantial amount of muscle if I want to decrease my overall weight. I'm guessing that this is a peculiar goal, but any thoughts on how to approach this best? Is this just stupid altogether? Will the muscle mass that typically accompanies fat loss take care of this issue on its own?

Here are my stats:
Height: 63 inches
Weight: 178 lbs (!!!)
BF%: 18-22% (using bioelectric scale on "athletic" mode)

Here's some additional stuff about myself that may be helpful:
- Ideal weight: ~135-140 at 10% BF
- I'm genetically pretty stocky, esp. my lower body
- I easily gain weight (both fat and muscle), but it's hard to lose it
- I tend to collect fat in the abs and lower body
- I easily retain muscle mass, esp. in my legs, even after long periods of not working out
- I've been training for over a decade (on and off at times, but enough where I'm the gym rat in most of my social circles)

In case you're wondering why I have such a goal, it's because I'd like to engage in more jumping-type activities, and I could tell that the weight-impact on my joints is too much. Even though I'm sure I have enough strength and stability to prevent joint-injuries in these activities, I'd rather avoid it all together because there are accidents. Also, I just don't feel it's "right" for someone 5'3" to weight ~180 lbs...

Criollo
03-15-2008, 04:34 AM
why would you want to lose muslce to to get a lower weight? if you are 150 and healthy then you should be happy. i did tests for my ideal body weight at my height its 200-210 but with my muscle that i have i can chill around 225-230 and still hae about 10-15 percent body fat.

utopia
03-15-2008, 05:10 AM
5'3 150 is quite a bit, but you are just going off of speculation. Get more around 155ibs. and post, for more accurate tips. PM me if you need help but be specific.

N.W.M.
03-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Well I'm not going to tell you what to do with your body b/c that is your decision. But if you want to lose muscle and fat your decrease your calorie intake and do cardio.

mpipes
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
No, it's not an odd question at all.

It's a very reasonable question because it means you're looking beyond just the physical appearance of it, and asking yourself how your physique could be best-suited for your athletic goals.

It sounds counter-intuitive but yes, you can have too much mass even if it's muscle, especially if it negatively impacts your performance at a given activity. It's all about how efficiently your body can perform the task at hand.

More mass does not always mean more strength, but more mass *does* always mean more energy being burned for a given activity which obviously will affect endurance. So, if you can drop mass while increasing strength and power through neural adaptation, you're increasing your body's efficiency for the given task as well as improving endurance at the same time.

To train for strength/power you need exercises that involve high force production. Things like heavy powerlifting movements with very low reps for brute force, plyometric exercises (box jumps, jump squats, etc) for explosive power, and sprints for high speed and power.

If you cater your nutrition to losing fat and train for strength/power your body will naturally seek out that lighter, stronger more efficient physique.

bc98
03-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll post on this subject again when I do reach ~155 lbs for more refined tips. Mpipes, what you say is definitely true. I've made significant mass gains while flat-lining on strength gains. I'll try out your suggestions (though the more intense plyometrics would be too much for me at this point). Thanks!

Jules Verne
03-16-2008, 06:26 AM
By the time you get to 10%, you'll weigh a lot less than 150, I can assure you. We always think we have less fat than we really do. See what weight you really are at 10% or 'ripped', then determine if you really have more muscle than your want. I seriously doubt it.

Lift, keep as much muscle as possible, then, if you really want less, you can stop lifting and reduce muscle mass.

mpipes
03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll post on this subject again when I do reach ~155 lbs for more refined tips. Mpipes, what you say is definitely true. I've made significant mass gains while flat-lining on strength gains. I'll try out your suggestions (though the more intense plyometrics would be too much for me at this point). Thanks!

I know what you mean about the plyometrics as I'm currently 235-240lbs and know all about the impact, but you should still do them. Start off easy, short jumps and only do a few reps at a time. You can also do plyo's with squats so you can build power without taking the impact. Your body will get used to it and you can progress to harder stuff over time. I have all kinds of power under me but I just don't launch very far at my weight :) Ironically I can jump higher/further using one leg than I can using two, it just feels more natural to me after a lifetime of ice and inline skating.

Jules Vern speaks the truth too. Muscle is pretty compact and we do usually carry more fat than we think.