PDA

View Full Version : Does fat burn before muscle?

ThaRock
03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
It's a dumb question and it's hard for me to explain what I mean. I can't think straight cause I haven' slept in 26 hours. I'll try to so bare with me..

I wanna get shredded.. so I start this extreme cutting diet (the diet doesnt matter its hypothetical :P) combine with exercise and lifting.. I get shredded like I want but i'm doing HIIT with a low amount of calories. I know muscles gonna get burned but.. will the fat burn first to fuel my muscles, or will both burn away?

I hope I explained that good enough lol. It took me 30 minutes just to think of the words to write it lol.

muss2k1
03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Your body will tap into the fat once the glycogen stores are depleted...but i think after a while, it then goes after the muscle...so anything after a session of HIIT, your body will finish fueling from the fat and then eat away at the muscle

in10city
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
It's a dumb question and it's hard for me to explain what I mean. I can't think straight cause I haven' slept in 26 hours. I'll try to so bare with me..

I wanna get shredded.. so I start this extreme cutting diet (the diet doesnt matter its hypothetical :P) combine with exercise and lifting.. I get shredded like I want but i'm doing HIIT with a low amount of calories. I know muscles gonna get burned but.. will the fat burn first to fuel my muscles, or will both burn away?

I hope I explained that good enough lol. It took me 30 minutes just to think of the words to write it lol.
I've said it before but I'll mention it again...

The catabolic nature of exercise in general is closely tied to many things, including the intensity & duration of the exercise, current hormonal state (cortisol for example), substrate availability, and nutritional intervention before and after the session.

Anaerobic activity relies heavily upon the glycolysis pathway - meaning the activity is fueled by blood glucose, muscle glyocgen, and liver glycogen.
And when these become low, there is a tendenacy to mobilize glucose from muscle via gluconeogenesis.

Elevated cortisol levels can also lead to muscle breakdown. Cortisol levels fluctuate naturally throughout the day and night. Stress, including that of high intensity or long duration exercise, also elevate it.

Such things as BCAA's and carbs can provide an alternative energy source other than yourself, can assist in the fat utilization process, and can attenuate cortisol elevation. So properly fueled HIIT or SS cardio that is not overly protracted can both be done without scavenging your muscle.

Brklyns_Finest
04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Don't quote trolls.

phoenixr2
04-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I've said it before but I'll mention it again...

The catabolic nature of exercise in general is closely tied to many things, including the intensity & duration of the exercise, current hormonal state (cortisol for example), substrate availability, and nutritional intervention before and after the session.

Anaerobic activity relies heavily upon the glycolysis pathway - meaning the activity is fueled by blood glucose, muscle glyocgen, and liver glycogen.
And when these become low, there is a tendenacy to mobilize glucose from muscle via gluconeogenesis.

Elevated cortisol levels can also lead to muscle breakdown. Cortisol levels fluctuate naturally throughout the day and night. Stress, including that of high intensity or long duration exercise, also elevate it.

Such things as BCAA's and carbs can provide an alternative energy source other than yourself, can assist in the fat utilization process, and can attenuate cortisol elevation. So properly fueled HIIT or SS cardio that is not overly protracted can both be done without scavenging your muscle.
Wow, Havent seen you in forever man where you been (or am I just blind)? Glad to see you still here.

Op read in10citys post, then reread it again until it clicks :) Good knowledge from it!

Electricheadd
04-27-2011, 10:16 PM

Most of the time .....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-metabolism-overview.html