PDA

View Full Version : Obama is popular partly because he's black...amirite?

B.O.L.A.
03-14-2008, 08:13 AM
People are eager to show their willingness to elect a black president, plus it is exciting to see such a breakthrough happen in our lifetime. Couple that with Obama's lack of an accent, his Christian faith, Ivy League education, and disregard for racial issues, and you have the perfect "first black president," one that is acceptable in the eyes of white democrats who hold deep prejudices, because he bears no characteristics of a black person other than his skin color. He's not even fully black. He was raised by white parents. He probably listens to Goo Goo Dolls and sucks at dancing.

This is the sad, unspoken, reason he is so popular. He offers all the excitement and drama of electing a black president, while not actually being black. MalcolmX was black, MLK was black, Richard Pryor was black- Barack Obama is a white guy with dark skin.

No racist, no Obama hater either- I plan to vote for him. Yes, he has qualifications and would be viable if he weren't black. But he's getting a lot of help due to his race. And anyone who disagrees probably also thinks the US is no longer a racially divided country.

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Why would you vote for him?

user437490845hjge
03-14-2008, 08:20 AM
His blackness appeals to african americans but is a negative among whites. Its not to say that whites are racists and we can play the politically correct game all year but its just how it plays out. If he was white it wouldn't be a contest and he would've trumped Clinton months ago. His charisma transcends his race and appeals to everyone. Compared to the other candidates he beats them hands down in charisma and presence.

EasyRhino
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
too bad hes a communist

Chowboy
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
His blackness appeals to african americans but is a negative among whites. Its not to say that whites are racists and we can play the politically correct game all year but its just how it plays out. His charisma transcends his race and appeals to everyone. Compared to the other candidates he beats them hands down in charisma and presence.

Couldn't disagree more.

His blackness in playing into the "white guilt" very well. He is charming, but vacuous in positions.

I guess since elections are now a popularity event, rather than a competition of positions, he is appealing to "everyone (???)."

user437490845hjge
03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Couldn't disagree more.

His blackness in playing into the "white guilt" very well. He is charming, but vacuous in positions.

Not as much as you would think.

I guess since elections are now a popularity event, rather than a competition of positions, he is appealing to "everyone (???)."

Once women got the right to vote and are now the political majority politics became increasingly focused on popularity.

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
If Obama were white and his name was Jim Smith, would he attract the same number of black votes?

I don't really see what he's doing for blacks other than his darkish skin color. And black people have traditionally loved the Clintons.

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Compared to the other candidates he beats them hands down in charisma and presence.

Sadly, a lot of people take charisma in as their main consideration for Obama.

It's like all of those questions people would ask random people who liked Obama, "Name an accomplishment"....they could basically never name one.

They just said, "Derrrrr, I don't know, I just like him."

XMX
03-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Obama does not have to portray "black" characteristics in order to be known as the first black president. There is no reason for him to push agendas such as the ones MLk and Malcom X did. He is a man looking out for the greater benefit of the country, not a specific people.

The symbolism of a black man being president should be enough to help black people. It will instill pride into some youth and hopefully result in them striving for more in life. Obama does not need to make any specific actions to help the black people in America

Chowboy
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

It's like all of those questions people would ask random people who liked Obama, "Name an accomplishment"....they could basically never name one.

Of course he has a position:

Change, changey, changey, change.

(change from my pocket to others)

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, Bill Clinton was the first black President anyways.

Obama's about 16 years too late.

diesel89
03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes you are right (and also a racist according to Hillary and the media)

Chowboy
03-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Not as much as you would think.

Once women got the right to vote and are now the political majority politics became increasingly focused on popularity.

Give me a break. The Demo party is the party of Guilt. America is guilty for all the worlds and our ills.

It just that when it comes to accepting personal responsibility, they point fingers everywhere else.

Gabriel Anton
03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Certainly it is a part of his popularity.

If his was freshman Senator named John Q Smith and plain looking white guy , he isn't gaining the nomination.

B.O.L.A.
03-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Obama does not have to portray "black" characteristics in order to be known as the first black president. There is no reason for him to push agendas such as the ones MLk and Malcom X did. He is a man looking out for the greater benefit of the country, not a specific people.

The symbolism of a black man being president should be enough to help black people. It will instill pride into some youth and hopefully result in them striving for more in life. Obama does not need to make any specific actions to help the black people in America

I agree, I am just saying it's sad that white people need such a sterilized version of a black president. If he had a southern accent, was raised in the ghetto of New Orleans by black parents, and went to undergrad at Howard University he'd be much less popular even if he was just as eloquent and charismatic. Ultimately it is good that he's popular, for symbolic reasons, but people are misconstruing his popularity with racial progress when in reality it indicates how messed up our country still is. Basically it means a black person has to mimic white culture in order to be successful.

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree, I am just saying it's sad that white people need such a sterilized version of a black president. If he had a southern accent, was raised in the ghetto of New Orleans by black parents, and went to undergrad at Howard University he'd be much less popular even if he was just as eloquent and charismatic. Ultimately it is good that he's popular, for symbolic reasons, but people are misconstruing his popularity with racial progress when in reality it indicates how messed up our country still is. Basically it means a black person has to mimic white culture in order to be successful.

Personally, I would like him more if he talked like P.Diddy but had good, solid policies and a voting record.

B.O.L.A.
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Personally, I would like him more if he talked like P.Diddy but had good, solid policies and a voting record.

You are a rarity in the USA. That's my whole point, glad you saw it.

Gabriel Anton
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Basically it means a black person has to mimic white culture in order to be successful.

So if you are black and not from the south, went to a northern school, and speak standard American English......... you're just mimicing white people?

I'd say that set of ideas of what makes someone white or black is more "sad" than anything else.

chrisjd
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
If he was white and his name was Michael Smith, no blacks would give two ****s about him.

The ONLY reason he is at where he is at right now is BECAUSE HE IS BLACK.

end thread.

SupaDJDiesel
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
He's also going to get smeared by the Republicans like no other. They cost McCain the nomination 8 years ago with false claims of his illegitimate black child. The "dumb republicans", those poor white southerners that earn less than $30K a year, will cost Obama dearly.

B.O.L.A.
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
So if you are black and not from the south, went to a northern school, and speak standard American English......... you're just mimicing white people?

I'd say that set of ideas of what makes someone white or black is more "sad" than anything else.

No, they are just brought up that way by chance. But how many black people do you know like that? Go to Southeast DC or New Orleans. What should those people think?

jmonty
03-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Basically it means a black person has to mimic white culture in order to be successful.

it isn't white or black culture, it is just how people who have or desire power in america are expected to act.

sammy21
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM

That's not just for Obama, that's for all politicians...if you asked people-
why they would vote for Hillary, you'll probably get:"Because she's a woman" or "because Bill was a good president" They probably couldn't name an "accomplishment" of hers either.

The majority of Americans are ignorant about politics, not just Obama supporters.

user437490845hjge
03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
what? that's retarded.

Are you aware how i see life? ill tell you about a few things i see and think about. Figured i would make a thread about it in the misc because its friday, and im home alone and bored as **** and there is no alcohol in my house. Homeless people (in America) - i feel bad for them, but then again i dont. I have met many people in life who started out with nothing and have become very important, well salary people. Everyone starts out life the same, with nothing to their name. What you do from the day you are born are strictly your choices. The mind has the ability to make choices. Everyone has the right to go to public school for free as a child and recieve an education. So dont bitch and hold up signs preaching to god on the side of the road. Average Population of this Earth - Too many people come into this world, live their life, and leave. They do not make an impact on this Earth, they are normal people who have normal lives. They live and die. From the day they are born to the day they die, they are working. Why?!?!?!?!?, we only have one life, you bet your ass that i WILL one day do something that no other human has done. I want to make a positive change in the world. We've only got one life, why waste it being AVERAGE? I dont know what i will do, but my name will be known for something positive. (not a terrorist attack or something negative). I want to get the most out of my life. Doubt - This one complies with the section above; Alot of people i have talked to dont try to acheive things because the media, their friends and family, the society has told them that the chances of doing what they want are too slim and they will fail. I think this is bull****. Everyone always blows people's whose names are known and are famous out of proportion. They arent the best thing in the world. They are normal people who most likely dont want to be in the position theyre in. IF you want to do something amazing, or something that someone told you is impossible, do it and show them up. I hate seeing people give up before they try because the doubt themselves. The American Life Today - WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS GOING ON IN OUR COUNTRY? There are soooo many kids in my school who do drugs and drink and just dont give a **** about education. The pop culture and media has gotten way out of hand. It seems like people look up to superstars more than they look up to someone who has made a huge difference in this world. We have sports players, actors, actresses, and vocalists who make 18 million dollars a year but yet we have people like Soldiers, teachers, scientist, law enforcement, and astronauts who may make a mere 1 million in their whole entire life. Not to mention they work much much much longer than the stars. This really aggrivates me. Sorry for such a long post, but please read. It was very hard to find the right words and descriptions of these thoughts but i hope you understand. Tell me if you agree or disagree or w/e.

C Project
03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
why they would vote for Hillary, you'll probably get:"Because she's a woman" or "because Bill was a good president" They probably couldn't name an "accomplishment" of hers either.

The majority of Americans are ignorant about politics, not just Obama supporters.

I voted for Obama and I have my reasons... But because I'm "young" people disregard those reasons as stupid. But whatever. I'm not going to vote for someone because they are black and I'm not going to NOT vote for someone because they are black.

Cramerica
03-14-2008, 09:48 AM

That's true.

Chowboy
03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
He's also going to get smeared by the Republicans like no other. They cost McCain the nomination 8 years ago with false claims of his illegitimate black child. The "dumb republicans", those poor white southerners that earn less than $30K a year, will cost Obama dearly.

That reeks of racism my friend and you should reconsider your remarks.

what about all the poor black southerners who voted for obamayomama? Are they stupid to, or does that make them smarter?

Who made you the arbiter of intelligence?

SoftandPlushy
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I dunno, having a Kenyan daddy makes you pretty damn black to me. I've never seen so many people preoccupied with the race of others.

SoftandPlushy
03-14-2008, 10:14 AM

QFT, Most folks are ignorant about politics.

JamesGatz83
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
But he's getting a lot of help due to his race. And anyone who disagrees probably also thinks the US is no longer a racially divided country.

That's exactly why being black isn't going to help him in the general election. The country is certainly still racially divided.

SupaDJDiesel
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM
That reeks of racism my friend and you should reconsider your remarks.

what about all the poor black southerners who voted for obamayomama? Are they stupid to, or does that make them smarter?

Who made you the arbiter of intelligence?

It reeks of truth, not racism. McCain was robbed because the people behind the Bush campaign preyed on the widespread racism across the south. What makes you think they wont do it again?

The poor blacks that voted for Obama may or may not be stupid. The poor whites that vote republican may or may not be stupid. The poor whites that vote republican because they think it's the "white" party are stupid.

Chowboy
03-14-2008, 12:38 PM
It reeks of truth, not racism. McCain was robbed because the people behind the Bush campaign preyed on the widespread racism across the south. What makes you think they wont do it again?

The poor blacks that voted for Obama may or may not be stupid. The poor whites that vote republican may or may not be stupid. The poor whites that vote republican because they think it's the "white" party are stupid.

You have an annoying habit of calling people that disagree with you, stupid.

You know what that makes you?

Dirk Diggler
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM

I absolutely agree, an average person couldn't name an accomplishment of either person. Hillary Clinton disgusts me in her petty tactics that will probably lose the election for the Democratic party.

timothy22
03-14-2008, 01:25 PM
He is just a good conman just like the rest of them. If one of them cared we would not be where we are at now. With everything

GApump
03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Obama is pretty charismatic, he must have taken some hints from his pastor on public speaking....

JamesGatz83
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM

The placement of that comma makes it look like you just called him stupid.

Just sayin'.

SupaDJDiesel
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM

You know what that makes you?

People that disagree with me? All I said was that Obama will get smeared because he's black (which he will), that McCain got smeared because of a non-existent black child (which he did), and that people that vote republican because they're racist are stupid (which they are).

SoftandPlushy
03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
The placement of that comma makes it look like you just called him stupid.

Just sayin'.

*chuckle*

captain_marvel
03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
People are eager to show their willingness to elect a black president, plus it is exciting to see such a breakthrough happen in our lifetime. Couple that with Obama's lack of an accent, his Christian faith, Ivy League education, and disregard for racial issues, and you have the perfect "first black president," one that is acceptable in the eyes of white democrats who hold deep prejudices, because he bears no characteristics of a black person other than his skin color. He's not even fully black. He was raised by white parents. He probably listens to Goo Goo Dolls and sucks at dancing.

This is the sad, unspoken, reason he is so popular. He offers all the excitement and drama of electing a black president, while not actually being black. MalcolmX was black, MLK was black, Richard Pryor was black- Barack Obama is a white guy with dark skin.

No racist, no Obama hater either- I plan to vote for him. Yes, he has qualifications and would be viable if he weren't black. But he's getting a lot of help due to his race. And anyone who disagrees probably also thinks the US is no longer a racially divided country.

Can you please define "black characteristics" for me. I know unlike white people that all blacks are supposed to be just alike and fit into one little category but please elaborate.

What accent is a harvard grad supposed to have? Disregaurd to racial issues? I've heard him make many references to racial issues in this country. He just doesnt whine about them and make a big deal about race like alot of whites, blacks and others do. Thats how its supposed to be.

Obama is also rumored to be a great dancer and was a basketball star back in high school. On his wikipedia page there is a picture of him dancing and playing basketball.

Basically what you should come out and say is "Obama doesn't fit the negative stereopytes that many whites want to label all blacks with and I want to undermind his success by saying its just because hes black."

Al3xk
03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
obama is pretty white when it comes to being black...
disregarding his policies, the reason he is popular is because he's a smooth talker, and he's got that inspirational quality, like JFK.

sword_
03-14-2008, 04:08 PM
obama is pretty white when it comes to being black...
disregarding his policies, the reason he is popular is because he's a smooth talker, and he's got that inspirational quality, like JFK.

I agree with captain marvel's post but I just want to comment. Why does Obama have to prove his blackness to whites? It seems like blacks do not care and are voting more towards him but really I only see Obama in the media going from 'half-black' to 'black' to 'not black enough'. What is that?

A persons accent can determine someones social status or region they are from and in some instances race. It seems like some people are alluding to the idea that talking articulate, being educated as a black man is uncommon and it is a 'white' thing which is ridiculous.

There are different types of black people. I think whites sometimes get caught up and think that all minorities are supposed to act the same but being the majority in the US they are not labeled as one thing.