PDA

View Full Version : Anything Chip Like

WaistofSpace
03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I love to dip chips in stuff, but with keto obvoiously chips are out of the question. I guess I will throw an example out there - I like to make my tuna with mayo and use whole wheat Ritz crackers to put it on and eat or I love salsa and chips. is there anything out there that has little to no carbs that could be substituted in? i used to make a banging salsa chicken and dipped tostitos into it. Damn I miss that. Any ideas?

IMAPACKERFAN
03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
pork rinds

jrbruin
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, unfortunately pork rinds are as close as I've found and I don't like them. :(

midnight_maraud3r
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
maybe cook some bacon until it's extra crispy and cut it into chip size portions. but i just do pork rinds and dip...most dips you find in stores are around 2g carbs per 2 tablespoons.

WaistofSpace
03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Bacon chips nice... I have actually never tried a pork rind, so I will have to look into this option. I was also thinking of possibly experimenting with a salad or spinach leaf and trying to coat it in butter and/or egg and bake it? I kind of just made that up in my head though and odn't know if it would work.

phabphour20
03-13-2008, 12:46 PM
You can make a sort of a chip out of cheese as well. I do this sometimes, and they can get crispy and flat and end up tasting a lot like Cheez-Its.

Basically cover the bottom of an omelet pan with shredded cheese (my favorite is yellow cheddar). Turn it on medium heat or so... and let it sit there. It will bubble up and turn into one, solid mass. After a few minutes, flip it over and cook a few minutes on the other side. Take it out, lay it on a paper towel and in a few minutes, after it dries, you can break it into pieces like chips.

Delicious. Look online for cheese crisps recipes... you can find much more accurate recipes than this one, but I mostly just wing it and they turn out great.

-PP

WaistofSpace
03-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Solid Idea, right there.

Eileen
03-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok, this is something I made which came out a bit like wheat thins or something.

3-4 tsp bran
3 tsp flaxmeal (ground flaxseed)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
pinch salt or spice.
enough water to moisten.

Mix well, then squeeze into a ball. Flatten onto a silicon baking sheet, then use the back of a spoon to smooth it out as thin and flat as possible. Bake for about 10 minutes at 200C, then turn over and do for another ten minutes. By then, it should be nice and crispy. If not, do another five minutes.

Shattering Fast
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Buy some real American cheese (NOT cheese food like Kraft Singles), cut one slice into 16 pieces, place squares on wax paper and microwave it until brown and crispy. You can sprinkle some salt (or garlic salt, whatever) on the squares before you put them in to cook, too.

dueco98
03-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Used to do that too, not bad.

opbyg
03-14-2008, 04:15 AM
take some pepperoni (The same you can put on a pizza) put it in the microwave for 10 sec. or so...
INJOY!

IMAPACKERFAN
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Buy some real American cheese (NOT cheese food like Kraft Singles), cut one slice into 16 pieces, place squares on wax paper and microwave it until brown and crispy. You can sprinkle some salt (or garlic salt, whatever) on the squares before you put them in to cook, too.

Hate to burst your bubble man, but any cheese that's called "American" is processed cheese. If you want real cheese, you need to be buying natural cheese, like cheddar. Be careful, most of the chedder you buy is processed as well.

WaistofSpace
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
American's best cheese comes out of a can.

Shattering Fast
03-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Hate to burst your bubble man, but any cheese that's called "American" is processed cheese. If you want real cheese, you need to be buying natural cheese, like cheddar. Be careful, most of the chedder you buy is processed as well.

If my bubble was over American cheese, I'd lead a very sad life. Plus I never said it couldn't be processed, I said it can't be a cheese food or cheese product, like Kraft Singles are.

deadgearsrising
03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
You can make a sort of a chip out of cheese as well. I do this sometimes, and they can get crispy and flat and end up tasting a lot like Cheez-Its.

Basically cover the bottom of an omelet pan with shredded cheese (my favorite is yellow cheddar). Turn it on medium heat or so... and let it sit there. It will bubble up and turn into one, solid mass. After a few minutes, flip it over and cook a few minutes on the other side. Take it out, lay it on a paper towel and in a few minutes, after it dries, you can break it into pieces like chips.

Delicious. Look online for cheese crisps recipes... you can find much more accurate recipes than this one, but I mostly just wing it and they turn out great.

-PP

You can also put shredded cheese into little piles on an oven tray, and cook it until it is chip-like. Very keto-friendly.

beeazy
03-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Ok, this is something I made which came out a bit like wheat thins or something.

3-4 tsp bran
3 tsp flaxmeal (ground flaxseed)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
pinch salt or spice.
enough water to moisten.

Mix well, then squeeze into a ball. Flatten onto a silicon baking sheet, then use the back of a spoon to smooth it out as thin and flat as possible. Bake for about 10 minutes at 200C, then turn over and do for another ten minutes. By then, it should be nice and crispy. If not, do another five minutes.

i love wheat thins so ima try this one soon hopefully there good

Biglouy
04-06-2008, 06:13 PM
My snack food when on keto is peperonni. I buy bags and bags of them and snack on those like chips. One thing i do with them is scatter them on a plate and put shredded cheese over them and stick them in the microwave for a few seconds. I call it pepperoni nachos