PDA

View Full Version : Drugs found in drinking water

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Wasnt sure where to post this but I know most of us drink a lot of water so this is interesting

Would this affect filitered/Spring water also ? I never drink from the tap

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i

A vast array of pharmaceuticals ? including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones ? have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
thats odd i only drink bottled/jugged water tap water is for the dogs

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 02:03 PM

lol @ for the dogs

You would be surprised a lot of people drink from the tap still

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:04 PM
lol @ for the dogs

You would be surprised a lot of people drink from the tap still

i honestly dont have a problem with it but it just doesnt get cold enough

ricflaironpcp
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM

hahaha, you're a huge tool.

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:29 PM
hahaha, you're a huge tool.

and who the f*ck are you? mopheaded punk

whatnow5
03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
WOW. I drink A LOT of tap water. I'm sure the amount of crap I'm getting is very small even with the ridulous amount of water I drink. It probably doesn't even make a difference. Its still kinda nasty though.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
WOW. I drink A LOT of tap water. I'm sure the amount of crap I'm getting is very small even with the ridulous amount of water I drink. It probably doesn't even make a difference. Its still kinda nasty though.

The concern is that a lot of the drugs today are created to be effective in very small doses

ricflaironpcp
03-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Nice comeback....

Anybody who "only drinks bottled water" is a huge tool. Think of how much water one person needs in their life time, compare that to the costs of bottled water. Also the fact that some bottled water comes from tapped sources, and also bottled water has no real regulations. (Where as tap has tons.)

It'd be like my paying for 2 dollars a few times a day a box of purified air.

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Nice comeback....

Anybody who "only drinks bottled water" is a huge tool. Think of how much water one person needs in their life time, compare that to the costs of bottled water. Also the fact that some bottled water comes from tapped sources, and also bottled water has no real regulations. (Where as tap has tons.)

It'd be like my paying for 2 dollars a few times a day a box of purified air.

Wanna know why i only drink bottled water mophead? because i live in a dorm. why dont you come here and sample the tap water and tell me if you would drink it? And who gives a **** about money i have more than enough to spend on all the bottled water i want.

Please get off your im in high school so i know everything soap box. kthx.

whatnow5
03-09-2008, 02:40 PM
The concern is that a lot of the drugs today are created to be effective in very small doses

true, but I think that the dose is still a small fraction of the small dose that is needed.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
true, but I think that the dose is still a small fraction of the small dose that is needed.

maybe, maybe not !

ricflaironpcp
03-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Wanna know why i only drink bottled water mophead? because i live in a dorm. why dont you come here and sample the tap water and tell me if you would drink it? And who gives a **** about money i have more than enough to spend on all the bottled water i want.

Please get off your im in high school so i know everything soap box. kthx.

You essentially insulted everybody who drinks tape water by calling them dogs. Yet you get pissed when somebody calls you a complete tool for doing so. You'd think somebody in college would be a bit more socially aware. But this is the internet...that's way too much to hope for isn't it?

Anyways...I've stated my points about why I think anybody who "Just drinks bottled water" and insults those who don't is a tool. I have nothing more to say...and theres no need for us to take over this thread. If you really desperately feel the need to address my hair style or such, do so via PM.

whatnow5
03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
maybe, maybe not !

We would have to know the exact amount found in the water. I would like to see that done.

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
You essentially insulted everybody who drinks tape water by calling them dogs. Yet you get pissed when somebody calls you a complete tool for doing so. You'd think somebody in college would be a bit more socially aware. But this is the internet...that's way too much to hope for isn't it?

sigh. . . did i offend the mophead with a joke about dogs? poor baby :(

Ajuice72
03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Free drugs.... what's the problem again?

Ivan36
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/w8mgs7.jpg

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/w8mgs7.jpg

Water seems like a fairly simple concept. You turn on the tap, put glass underneath, and drink. Sadly, it is not this simple for white people.

On the whole, they are unable to put a glass under a tap and just drink. In fact, this is such a strange concept that the city of New York had to launch a rather large PR campaign to show white people that it was possible to actually drink the water that comes out of the tap!

Up until this point, white people were consuming most of their water in the form of expensive bottles like Fiji, Aquafina and Dasanai. To this day, many white people continue to get their water in this fashion, and it is important to be aware about how your choice of water can say a lot about who you are.

Logically, you would assume that drinking the most expensive premium bottled water (Fiji and Voss) would be enough to show the world that you are too good for tap water. And a few years ago, you would have been right. But lately, advanced white people have been getting very upset about all of the waste that comes with drinking 15-20 bottles per week.

The leading edge of white people have started to use sturdier, refillable bottles. But do not assume this is from the tap. Most white people need to run their water through some sort of filter (Brita or PUR) before they put it into their bottle. This allows them to feel good about using a refillable bottle, but it also makes it more complicated, which they also like.

Previously, the gold standard was the Nalgene bottle, however recent studies have shown the plastic can leak toxins into the water. Currently, white people on the cutting edge are really into metal bottles of water with a twist cap. It is recommended that you buy one of these as soon as possible.

Having one will give you precious leverage over any white person who is drinking from a plastic bottle. ?Oh bottled water? really? I mean it?s cool, but I kind of thought you cared about the earth.? If you see someone drinking a Fiji water, you do have the opportunity to go in for the kill. ?Do you know that your bottle of water has a bigger carbon footprint than me? I think they were originally going to call it ?aboriginal blood? but that bottle was as close as they could get. You know, legally.?

Again, this should only be used in extreme situations.

Following your confrontation, the white person is likely to have a metal bottle just like yours. If this happens, there will be an implicit pact whereby they will do favors for you provided you do not tell everyone they got their bottle after you.

Free Weight Friedel
03-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Did that water have Androgenerator in it??

:p

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Did that water have Androgenerator in it??

:p

Probably just a trace amount

But we all know how powerful it is !

grapemaster
03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
look at what it is doing to the wild life...

I'm not trying to be alarmist, I posted this already too... but... makes you wonder... If I lived on an island somewhere yeah... I'd have no probably drinking of it... but most of us live in cities, we see the nasty run off everywhere... and the 10s of millions of people who are ****ting into it... now is it really getting filtered that well? I've seen the large clear thousand dollar filters hooked to tap water at a few restaurants that use it for their soda and they get majorly dirty... some nasty stuff coming through.

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
look at what it is doing to the wild life...

I'm not trying to be alarmist, I posted this already too... but... makes you wonder... If I lived on an island somewhere yeah... I'd have no probably drinking of it... but most of us live in cities, we see the nasty run off everywhere... and the 10s of millions of people who are ****ting into it... now is it really getting filtered that well? I've seen the large clear thousand dollar filters hooked to tap water at a few restaurants that use it for their soda and they get majorly dirty... some nasty stuff coming through.

new york city water is some of the cleanest water in the world. . .

jus sayin

grapemaster
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM

jus sayin

welp I live in downtown chicago, its discolored. so is the stuff I've seen coming out of hotels in new york. I have no doubt that the water they get it from up in the lakes is fine... but once it runs through all the pipe and filtration to get to you...

v4lu3s
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
If tap water is so good how come all of this is found in the water coming out of my tap?

Barium, Manganese, Nitrate, Sulfate, Chloroform, Bromoform, Bromodichloromethane, Dibromochloromethane, Alpha particle activity, Radium-226, Gross beta particle activity.

I actually looked at my local water authority purity report and they do not even test for almost all of the pollutants found...because the government does not require it.

The City of Chicago scares me as well...here are a list of pollutants found in its water:
Ammonia, Arsenic, Barium, Nitrates & nitrites, Sulfate, Acetochlor, Dichloroacetic acid, Trichloroacetic acid, Monobromoacetic acid, Dibromoacetic acid, Total haloacetic acids, Chloroform, Bromoform, Bromodichloromethane, Dibromochloromethane, trihalomethane.

How many of you even know what is in your water supply?? I am willing to bet that the level of pollution even varies within an area served by the same company since old plumbing can leech things like lead and other metals into it which would not be detected when testing at the source.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Not sure I should even give tap water to the dogs now

Is it safe :confused:

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Not sure I should even give tap water to the dogs now

Is it safe :confused:

dude watch out mophead high school boy is going to get offended again

mad_professor
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Might as well give up drinking water all together. Bottled water contained in 'PET' plastic containers, which most are bottled in, contain estrogenic type chemicals which leach into the water. There goes ya sperm count! Have to take more testosterone boosting supps and estrogen blockers!

grapemaster
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Might as well give up drinking water all together. Bottled water contained in 'PET' plastic containers, which most are bottled in, contain estrogenic type chemicals which leach into the water. There goes ya sperm count! Have to take more testosterone boosting supps and estrogen blockers!

lots of water comes in glass if that is a concern, i think that is also at high temps correct with the xeno estrogens? you could stop drinking water altogether pretty easy, just eat a bunch of apples/or a watermelon/celery/and cut your salt and alcohol intake

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
this is the only water i drink

http://i19.tinypic.com/6krpili.jpg

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
lots of water comes in glass if that is a concern, i think that is also at high temps correct with the xeno estrogens? you could stop drinking water altogether pretty easy, just eat a bunch of apples/or a watermelon/celery/and cut your salt and alcohol intake

lol@ stop drinking water

Negged

grapemaster
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
lol@ stop drinking water

Negged

raw fruits and vegetables are over 70% water, yes it isn't "practical" but could definitely be done w/o ever drinking water again. Where do you think animals get the water in times of no rain or traveling, from plants..
again it is not practical, but... it could be done if put in that situation.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
raw fruits and vegetables are over 70% water, yes it isn't "practical" but could definitely be done w/o ever drinking water again. Where do you think animals get the water in times of no rain or traveling, from plants..

not really when you factor in Creatine and other supps where above average water intake is critical

but for survival means, sure

Sammy_Koelle
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I posted this to...did you guys even read the article?
people who drink bottled water are affected also

Edit:Quoted from the article

"Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals, according to the industry's main trade group. The same goes for the makers of home filtration systems."

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I posted this to...did you guys even read the article?

people who drink bottled water are affected also

I drink Spring Water mostly

(Tap water is for the dogs )

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 05:51 PM

the only mammal that doesnt drink water is the koala. do you know what the koala does for 20 of 24 hours a day? it sleeps. gl not drinking water big guy

v4lu3s
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
all of this is why i drink distilled water 90% or more of the time.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 06:01 PM
all of this is why i drink distilled water 90% or more of the time.

Is distilled the best ?

EMartNJ
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Is distilled the best ?

the problem with drinking distilled water is that it doesnt have the vitamins and minerals that are in normal drinking water and

The Journal of General Internal Medicine[2] published a study on the mineral contents of different waters available in the US. The study concluded, "drinking water sources available to North Americans may contain high levels of Calcium, Magnesium, and Sodium and may provide clinically important portions of the recommended dietary intake of these minerals," and further encouraged individuals to "check the mineral content of their drinking water, whether tap or bottled, and choose water most appropriate for their needs." Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, supplemental mineral intake through diet is needed to maintain proper health.

LakunaKoil
03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
the problem with drinking distilled water is that it doesnt have the vitamins and minerals that are in normal drinking water and

Yeah thats what I heard too

v4lu3s
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
the lack of crap in the water is not a problem with a balanced diet and who here does NOT take a multi vitamin?

That study cited also does not indicate what levels of those minerals are present in various locations, nor does it state the type of diet that they assume the person is eating. If you really think that parts per million of calcium is significant in your diet....well I can't say much.

The minerals in water are so scant that in Boston, MA for example, one would have to drink 676 8-ounce glasses of tap water to obtain the Recommended Daily Allowance ( RDA) of calcium. That person would have to drink 1,848 8-ounce glasses to get RDA of magnesium, 848 8-ounce glasses to get RDA of iron, and 168,960 8-ounce glasses to obtain the RDA of phosphorus. It seems insane to even think about drinking that much water. Most people can't even drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day that is widely touted by health experts.

In addition the past two physicals i have had blood and urine tests done, both indicating perfect health and normal ranges of electrolytes and minerals in my blood.

anth28
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, from what I have heard, bottled water is no better.:(

Sleepstream
03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
the lack of crap in the water is not a problem with a balanced diet and who here does NOT take a multi vitamin?

I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who do not have a balanced diet. Also, the majority of multivitamins do not contain the trace minerals the body needs in minute amounts, and not everyone is going to get them through foods, even if they have a supposed balanced diet.

v4lu3s
03-09-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who do not have a balanced diet. Also, the majority of multivitamins do not contain the trace minerals the body needs in minute amounts, and not everyone is going to get them through foods, even if they have a supposed balanced diet.

so which trace minerals are found in ALL tap water worldwide that are critical for human health?

here is some stuff for thought:

Estimations of daily mineral intakes from drinking water.

Gillies ME, Paulin HV.

Duplicate samples of all tap water drank over 24 h, including that used for beverage preparation, were collected from 109 adult subjects. There were more than ten-fold variations in daily water intakes. The mineral concentrations in the 24-h samples from households on the same public water supply showed considerable variation, the differences sometimes being greater than those found in water samples from different sources. These findings raise considerable doubt about the accuracy of accepted methods for the estimation of mineral intakes from drinking water. Although the mineral concentrations in water samples were generally very low some subjects received 10 per cent or more of their recommended dietary intake of Cu and Zn from this source.

[The health status and the indices of urinary system activity in children with long-term exposure to drinking water with an adverse mineral content]

[Article in Russian]

Lagutina LE, Shtannikov EV, Makarova OA.

A study was made of the effect of drinking highly mineralized water on the children's health status, particularly on the urinary system activity. As many as 357 children living in one of the poorly irrigated regions of the Saratov land along the Volga were examined. It has been established that drinking highly mineralized water is a high-intensity factor producing an untoward effect on the children's physical development, contributing to the rise of the incidence of acute (mainly respiratory) and chronic diseases (cholecystopathies, nephropathies, gastrointestinal diseases, nocturnal enuresis, dental caries). The long consumption of such drinking water has been discovered to have an unfavourable effect on the physicochemical and biochemical properties of the urine, excretion of the main crystal-forming substances and certain parameters of mebranolysis.

PHIL0BEDD0
03-09-2008, 08:40 PM
yahoo news tryin to get attention

v4lu3s
03-10-2008, 07:55 AM

hey would the requirements include estrogen, anti-anxiety drugs, cholesterol drugs, high blood pressure drugs, or any other pharmaceuticals?

OneBetter
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM

jus sayin

What's in the Water?
New York City: Heart medication, infection fighters, estrogen, anti-convulsants, a mood stabilizer and a tranquilizer

yep.

Cr4zYH3aD
03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
i drink tap water, what should i drink ?>

Cr4zYH3aD
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
What's in the Water?
New York City: Heart medication, infection fighters, estrogen, anti-convulsants, a mood stabilizer and a tranquilizer

WTF ?

NO HYPE
03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Distilled water = ZERO impurities

As far as the hype out there about distilled water not being a good option due to a lack of trace minerals, I ask you.... who here relies on water as a source of mineral intake? Not me.

Newbtime
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM

wow strong e test flow

Feny
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
at least austin texas water is clean :) :) :)

NO HYPE
03-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I drink A LOT of tap water. It probably doesn't even make a difference.

That depends on what contaminants are actually contained within the water coming from your faucet.

As for me, I'm all set with an overaccumulation of heavy metal deposits (or worse) due to the chronic consumption of tap water. :)

Belloc
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I drink tap water

woof woof

srlsy now tap water is filled with chemicals, nothing new but bottled water is not safer because most of it comes from the same source as tap water and even the spring captured water has the xeno estrogens

plus if you read the article they even found chemicals deep in the ice in antarctica so there's no escaping them chemicals

LakunaKoil
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Me and dogs are all drinking Spring Water from now on

lalala-elf
03-10-2008, 02:49 PM

grapemaster for president!11

v4lu3s
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
distilled=pure water (and whatever it soaks up from the water bottle of course, but stick to soft plastic not the hard plastic that have the estrogen thingamabobs).

Dont Judge Me
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
welp I live in downtown chicago, its discolored. so is the stuff I've seen coming out of hotels in new york. I have no doubt that the water they get it from up in the lakes is fine... but once it runs through all the pipe and filtration to get to you...

yea my city's tap is brown sometimes LOL... at least my bottle water is clear.

AmericanPsycho
03-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess this explains a lot of stupid people I know...

Jesse12345
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
The tap water I drink does taste like crap compared to bottled stuff. I know a lot of people like to provide statistics of how many people weren't able to distinguish tap water from bottled in a study, but where I live, the tap water deffinately has a distinguishable taste. I'm sure it contains sulphur, lead, cobalt, etc., but in the end, trace amounts of this help keep the immune system up (in my opinion anyway. Please don't bitch about it if you have a different opinion).

As another poster already pointed out, livestock and crops are not grown with expensive bottled water, so you're likely to get these additives one way or another, whether you drink tap water directly or eat the food that uses it.

Sammy_Koelle
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
This finally made the FOX news

carcinogen
03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Wasnt sure where to post this but I know most of us drink a lot of water so this is interesting

A vast array of pharmaceuticals ? including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones ? have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows

Water that has undergone reverse osmosis should be fine.

rugby121
03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
uk countryside tap water. need i say more?

grapemaster
03-11-2008, 09:53 AM
NO HYPE, I'll differ to you since you seem to know your stuff....

Would you recommend drinking distilled water?

carcinogen
03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Minerals, yes -but vitamins?

carcinogen
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Distilled water = ZERO impurities

As far as the hype out there about distilled water not being a good option due to a lack of trace minerals, I ask you.... who here relies on water as a source of mineral intake? Not me.

Distilled water takes out the minerals and other dissolved solids. Any type of volatile compounds or compounds that breakdown into volatile compounds during the distillation would come over. Unless you dropped the condesate through activated charcoal.

The most pure water would be found when ran through some resin (softner), charcoal filters, porcelain filter and then a RO system (a non detect on total dissolved solids).

The second part I agree on.

But all this leads me to believe that we take too many meds (if their "source" is correct).

lalala-elf
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I've heard too much distilled water not only fails to supply trace minerals but actually leeches them from your body. So I don't know about drinking it all the time...

Smurg
03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Lol, the tap water in my dorm is yellow, at least in my room. It is probably from rusty pipes or such. Another reason not to drink it.

EMartNJ
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I've heard too much distilled water not only fails to supply trace minerals but actually leeches them from your body. So I don't know about drinking it all the time...

i vaguely remember my freshman bio teacher in high school saying drinking distilled water is bad for you on the cellular level

v4lu3s
03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
i vaguely remember my freshman bio teacher in high school saying drinking distilled water is bad for you on the cellular level

you know i vaguely recall being told that masturbating would cause blindness as well, but I couldn't find any science to back that either.

NO HYPE
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
my freshman bio teacher in high school saying drinking distilled water is bad for you on the cellular level

Figures.

EMartNJ
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
you know i vaguely recall being told that masturbating would cause blindness as well, but I couldn't find any science to back that either.

look f*cker im just saying thats what the bitch said get off my dick

NO HYPE
03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
NO HYPE, I'll differ to you since you seem to know your stuff....

Would you recommend drinking distilled water?

Do I recommend drinking distilled? Absolutely.... the less impurities, the better.

Nobody that can afford to have clothes on their back, is relying on water for a source of minerals, and there is no way in hell that the normal consumption of distilled water aquires the ability to cause any significant decrements in endogenous mineral pools.

NO HYPE
03-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Distilled water takes out the minerals and other dissolved solids. Any type of volatile compounds or compounds that breakdown into volatile compounds during the distillation would come over. Unless you dropped the condesate through activated charcoal.

Agreed, and I should have stated... Distilled water = virtually ZERO impurities

Still though, we are only talking measurments of ppb and/or ppt, so thankfully any remaining by-products within the condensate will not be an issue when considering chronic consumption.

all this leads me to believe that we take too many meds (if their "source" is correct).

That statement is true.... REGUARDLESS of the validity of that source. :(

LakunaKoil
03-12-2008, 02:56 AM
So why isnt Distilled water sold in designer bottles like filtered and Spring ?

Da Main Man
03-12-2008, 03:05 AM

no idea?

all i know is that distilled water in the supermarkets here, is stored right next to the bleach and other cleaning solvents, and NOT in the softdrink/mineral water section.

Radok
03-12-2008, 03:13 AM

We're drinking the drugs in other people's piss.

tdog69
03-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Distilled water is for making home brewed beer, filtered tap water is the only way to go

grapemaster
03-12-2008, 07:34 AM

not sure, if anybody is a bit older, wasn't it pretty popular in the 70s and 80s to drink distilled waters and have home distillers? Then for some reason it became unpopular... I remember people talking about it in the mid 80s. I think they were just scared there weren't nutrients in it, and possibly the taste? Just fishing here.... I know they definitely drink distilled in third world countries though to be safe. I was on in an eco village in Italy and we were distilling the water there.

CanadianMoose
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I have heard it said that American tap water is full of CELL TECH! and Canadian water is full of Super drol andro pump...Because everyone dumps the crap down the shi--er!:)

ponshoe
03-13-2008, 12:16 AM

WTF! :confused: