PDA

View Full Version : WTF? 0 Calories in Flax Seed?

Dracoy
03-07-2008, 06:09 AM
http://yanyanxu.com/2008/03/07/0-calorie-flax-seeds/

I'm so confused, either I'm going crazy or this label is dead wrong.

No nutrients what so ever???

girlygirl
03-07-2008, 06:11 AM
it's dead wrong. somehow a blank nutrition label got on there.

friedrice683
03-07-2008, 06:33 AM
blank label

flax seeds CAN NOT be digested though in the whole form...so might as well be 0 calories. they literally go right through you and come out in your crap whole.

you need to grind them into a powder / buy flaxmeal / or milled flax seeds for your body to absorb their nutrients

milled flax seeds are best for adding into oatmeal ect, flaxmeal is best for baking

hope that helps

Dracoy
03-07-2008, 06:36 AM
FRICK. Seriously?

So basically I've been wasting money on consuming whoel flax seed? How the hell do I grind these lol?

baarat
03-07-2008, 06:46 AM
FRICK. Seriously?

So basically I've been wasting money on consuming whoel flax seed? How the hell do I grind these lol? You seriously don't know how to grind them? Anyway, in a grinder....you know the small ones people use for spices or coffee.

friedrice683
03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
or throw them in a blender and pulse into a powder

and yes if you have been consuming them in whole form not only have you been wasting $$$ but you also have been overestimating your calories and fat intake...

tsave31
03-07-2008, 06:55 AM
FRICK. Seriously?

So basically I've been wasting money on consuming whoel flax seed? How the hell do I grind these lol?

Being a master chef, you should have all the tools necessary to grind some flax seeds! haha

Dracoy
03-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Haha.

Unfortunatly I have the ****tiest blender on earth. There is no way I would be able to grind this ****.

Think this would work?

Bowl + Spoon + Forearms?

baarat
03-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Haha.

Unfortunatly I have the ****tiest blender on earth. There is no way I would be able to grind this ****.

Think this would work?

Bowl + Spoon + Forearms?Ah, no. A mortar and pestle would work.

May0819
03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
i read in an article (forget the site, sorry...) that whether its milled, oil, or seeds flax is good for you & has many health benefits. the only differences will be #1. the prices of different forms/types & #2. milled is more easily digested.

personally ive used the whole seeds & the milled. i often add either to:
home made granola, home made protein bars, cereal, oats, yogurt, cc, salads, lean meats, etc.

Jules Verne
03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
IMO flax seeds seem to offer many health benefits in moderation.

However, I do NOT see the point in consuming the oil. There are better fats/oils to be eating and unless you are eating a ton of fat, I don't see the need to supplement flax oil. If your fat intake was really high, 1Tbsp/day of the oil might be good for some variety, but that's about it.

Dracoy
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I usually have a 1/2 a TBSP of Flax Seed with Cottage Cheese/Oatmeal.

I guess I'll try grinding it myself.