PDA

View Full Version : Go more carb heavy on workout days or off days?

Rynofasho
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Doing the 5x5 and going MWF. Should I go more starchy carb heavy on the on days or the offs? I am already a fat phuck and don't want to retain too much fat while I bulk. Which day would be better? I would assume heavier on lift days but you never know.

haGie
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I would do it on the days you lift. You need carbs for you pre and post WO. And also load up on carbs in the morning. If you're trying to cut fat, then I would suggest eating carbs from what I stated above, and your other meals would only be lean protein with veggies. Or you can add some good fats if it fits in your macros. Also, since you're trying to minimize your fat gains, you should go low on carbs and calories on your off days and add some cardio if ya want. But this is all up to you, do whatever works best for you. Experiment, you're the only one who knows your body the most. :)

snorkelman
03-05-2008, 05:34 AM
I would do it on the days you lift. You need carbs for you pre and post WO.

I agree

The Solution
03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
getting carbs around your workout is vital, but restoring the body on offdays may be even more productive in recovery and growth

if you are already really big, maybe go a bit lighter but still do not negate them on the off days

Rynofasho
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Im not really big musclewise, but I am 6'2" 203 and about 17-18% body fat. I guess I will just see how all carbs all the time goes and if I start to put on too much fat, I will try to slow down on the a bit except for the morning and sugary carbs PW and starchy PW

The Solution
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Im not really big musclewise, but I am 6'2" 203 and about 17-18% body fat. I guess I will just see how all carbs all the time goes and if I start to put on too much fat, I will try to slow down on the a bit except for the morning and sugary carbs PW and starchy PW

sugary carbs arent that necessary post-workout if you have good pre-workout nutritoin.. seeing that you do get a decent meal in before hand the whole insulin spike is overrated, just make sure that you get SOME carbs post workout which will be beneifical in muscle synthesis. they do not have to be sugary

xl Achilles lx
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
sugary carbs arent that necessary post-workout if you have good pre-workout nutritoin.. seeing that you do get a decent meal in before hand the whole insulin spike is overrated, just make sure that you get SOME carbs post workout which will be beneifical in muscle synthesis. they do not have to be sugary

x2, gotta agree with you here Layzie.

lth
03-05-2008, 11:49 AM
well, to tell you the truth man...if your doing a 5*5 , then you'll not need a great deal of carbs in the first place, stored carbs (muscle glycogen) has little activity when training heavy with low rep sets...ketones (fats) play more of a role with this type of training.....like layzie said as well, if you eat good slow gi carbs before training then glycogen stores will not be depleted and insulin will not need to be spiked pwo, especially like i said when doing 5 of 5.

Rynofasho
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok, thanks for the info all. I suppose the next step is finding something the provides adequate caloric intake without overloading me on carbs. I feel like it will be hard to eat less than 1.5g/lb and still hit 3200 calories. Time to find some foods that will get me there!