PDA

View Full Version : Lunges

Sasha4
03-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Hi,

So I'm working out at the gym the other day minding my own business doing lunges when one of the trainers who works there comes over to me and tells me that although my form is technically correct for the lunges that I shouldn't do them anymore that they are too hard on my knees?!?!?! I'm only doing them with 2 six pound dumbells in each hand. Any thoughts?

Sasha4
03-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Sorry...hehe....ONE six pound dumbell in each hand

Gator
03-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Only u know what yer body can take Bro..
Just be careful w/lunges, b/c form is the key w/those..
Its a great way to get the legs you want !!!!

good luck !!

Gator

maxallen
03-04-2003, 08:55 AM
I love lunges for an overall leg and glute workout. Sometimes my back feels a little out-of-whack, so I do lunges instead of squats. Sasha, as long as your knees feel good and strong, and if you have no pain, keep it up! If you start feeling twinges or unusual pops in the knees, you should probably give up lunges for a few weeks to give your knees a chance to heal before doing them again. Listen to your body and you'll know if the lunges are too hard on your knees.

phikappa
03-04-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm not a big fan of lunges, however I'm even less of a fan of idiot trainers. With six pound db's you should be perfectly fine. Use your best judgment and good luck!

tracyb555
03-04-2003, 05:52 PM
One weight training book I have ("A Woman's Book of Strength" by Karen Andes) offers the following safety tips about lunges:

Make sure your spine stays upright. This exercise takes a lot of control, so ease into it. Try going slow at first and/or stepping halfway back before doing the full step-back lunge. Also try moving just halfway down at first to "test the waters" in the in-place lunge. Keep your front knee over or slightly behind the ankle -- not out over the toe. Hold in your abdominals to maintain the proper posture

I love 'em! Recently added walking lunges to my routine and can really feel 'em in the glutes!

TrishB
03-04-2003, 06:04 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with lunges. Love what they do to my legs and glutes, just hate doing them.
Anyone with knee problems should not do lunges or squats. But otherwise, just use proper form and go for it!

haromoses
03-05-2003, 05:20 PM
As long as the knees don't go past the plane of your toes, you should be alright.

tex
03-10-2003, 10:16 AM
You might consider doing squats with the 45lb. bar. You're legs are probably strong enough to handle that, and squats with proper form are a relatively safe exercise. Also learn how to to sldl's too for hams and glutes. Push yourself on these 2 exercises ,and doing lunges might be the last thing on your mind.

FenderBender
03-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by TrishB
I have a love/hate relationship with lunges. Love what they do to my legs and glutes, just hate doing them.
Anyone with knee problems should not do lunges or squats. But otherwise, just use proper form and go for it!

Beginner here: If you have knee problems what else besides
squats or lunges can you do to increase your leg size
and strength?

TrishB
03-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by FenderBender
and strength?

hamstrings....legcurls...lying or sitting and deadlifts
quads.....leg press and leg extesions

Don't rule out lunges and squats just because of knee soreness. Allowing some rest should be all the knees need to recover.
But for someone who has chronic knee pain or injuries, continued abuse from squats, jumping, running, etc... will only lead to even more problems down the road.

Belle
03-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by FenderBender
and strength?

Straight leg deadlifts?