New Challenge, Cutting Phase

Current stats:
Date 03/03/03
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 150.6
BF%: 23.4% (Tanita Scale)
Waist: 35" (Belly Button)
Levi's 505 Jeans: 34 (Very Comfortable)

Primary goal is to trim the lovehandled waist to 32" and to fit comfortably into Levi's 505 31's by June 8th (1 year workout anniversary date).

A brief history:
6/8/02 170 lbs. Started weightloss diet (SlimFast) and circuit training with cardio.
9/15/02 142 lbs. Lost a lot of muscle I'm sure.
10/1/02 144 lbs. Started body building conditioning routine with mix of machine & free weights. Reduced cardio. "Normal" diet. 2000 cals.
11/10/02 145 lbs. Bulking routines. No cardio. 40/30/30 diet @ 2300 calories.
2/16/03 155 lbs. 24.7% BF.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been experimenting with lower carb intake and higher protein & fat intake. More importantly, I've completely dropped the starchy carbs at dinner, and replaced it with more fibrous carbs like brocoli.
I wanted to see how it affected my nighttime energy levels while working out.
I have a little less energy but nothing that a little more concentration won't cure. I'll be searching for a non-ephedra boost. Any suggestions?

I was surprised to see that my weight and BF% dropped over the last 2 experimental weeks. So I guess my cutting diet really started a couple of weeks ago even though I haven't dropped the calories that much.

Diet: Will continue with 25/45/30 C/P/F @ 2000 calories. It seems to be working so far (inadvertantly for the last 2 weeks).
Will drop to 1600 cals March 16, when the new baby comes home.
I'll play this one by ear, depending on energy levels and possible lack of sleep. May have to go to 40/30/30 @ 1600 cals, or maybe stay at 25/45/30 but bump back to 2000 cals.

3/4/03 I've decided to do the Keto Diet.

Training: Continue with strength training for next two weeks, with the addition of 2 cardio days. Then take 1 week off when baby arrives home the week of March 16.
Will start moderate weight training (moderate reps), 4 days cardio
March 23, if the baby lets me.

Current split:
Sun Back/Bi's, Cardio
Mon HIIT Cardio
Tues Shoulders/Abs/Calves
Wed Off or HIIT Cardio
Thu Legs, Cardio
Fri Chest/Tri's
Sat Off

Wish me luck!

MagicMel
03-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Wow, I just noticed that the above post was my 303'rd post on 03/03/03.

Any way, here's my "before" pics taken last week.

MagicMel
03-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Back view.

MagicMel
03-03-2003, 10:24 AM
I guess I need to shrink the pics down some. We'll try it again at the end of this month, with a better camera, too.

tracyb555
03-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Looking good Mel! Calorie count (1600) sounds a bit low for an active guy though... Maybe one of the other guys here can offer some input on this.

Belle
03-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Cool! Good one Mel! Your doing really well.

Belle
03-03-2003, 05:06 PM
As for non ephedra boost. I use Gingko Biloba, guarana and ginseng together in a tab form and that seems to give me a boost if taken just in the afternoon before my workout.

TrishB
03-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Mel...you look pretty good already! I am surprised that your waist is at 35"...even though you have some lovehandles, it still looks smaller compared with your upper body.

Looking good! Best of luck with your II challenge. It seems to be working good for the girls, so why not the guys. :)

Eye2_Man
03-03-2003, 05:39 PM
You're lookin' thick in the chest, shoulders, and neck. 35" waist and 34 pants indicates a damn good bulk up. Right?

And you're hitting the golf ball further!

Great job packing on the muscle and muscle.

MagicMel
03-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Trish,Eye2,
That 35" measurement was taken around the fattest part. It was also taken in the evening, but the picture was taken at 7AM when I feel I'm at my "skinniest". I took a measurement this morning and it is at 34".

Belle,
I'm going to try Diesel Fuel Reloaded as a workout energizer. It's reported by a few on this site to be a good booster. It's also supposed to be a good fat burner, too. It's got 2mg Yohimbine per cap, green tea extract as well as a myriad of other things. We'll see.

Tracy,
1600 cals does seem kinda low, I know. I have functioned just fine on as little as 1200 before, but I'm sure I probably ate some of my own muscle then, too. I have not been very religious at keeping up the amount of protein that was needed to increase my musculature this past few months of bulking. That is probably why I am admittedly not quite satisfied with the amount of bulk I have put on since November. Every meal has been very close to 40/30/30, but I din't always take in enough meals.

After reading the Losing Fat forum, I've decided to do the Keto Diet. I read one complete sticky thread yesterday morning. So after breakfast and a midmorning snack, I thought "let's just do it!". So I cut most of my carbs the rest of the day, added protein and flax and added it all up and it came to 12/38/48 C/P/F @ 1625 cals. That's pretty close to the 10/40/50 that I was looking for and it was very easy. I don't think I'll have any problem getting the right amount of protein in this cycle either. I also had plenty energy for HIIT cardio last night, too.

BTW, I weighed in at 148.8 @ 23.6%BF this morning. I don't think it's all supposed to work that fast, does it? I don't usually weigh myself every day. I hope that doesn't become a habit. But if it does I'll just have to enjoy the roller coaster ride.

MagicMel
03-05-2003, 09:18 AM
After further reading more of the Keto threads on this site yesterday, I guess I should not be using Whey Protein shakes as a source of protein except for post workout. So off to the grocery store to buy real meat protein. This could get expensive.

When I got home yesterday, it seems my wife had prepared to make some homemade tacos, along with homemade guacamole & chips. She was kind of weirded out when I didn't go for the chips, and instead just scooped a couple of spoonfuls of guac straight up. She was even more freaked out when I passed on the taco shells. Instead I just filled my plate with the ground beef, piled on some shredded lettuce, a handful of grated cheese and what seemed to be a full cup of guacamole. :eek:Oh, the indigestion at the gym 2 hours later! Good thing I only had shoulders to do followed by 15 min of normal cardio.

This AM's weigh in: 148.6lbs, 23.0%BF (Tanita Scale) Still trying to get the hang of using the calipers.

Well it's back to reading more on Keto. I think I will join the Senior's Keto thread today, if I can get through all 21 pages!

TwoWalks
03-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Mel, the pics look great. The progress you have made is something you should be really thrilled with. I think you will find that your body fat is lower than you think and that most of that is white fat and will come off fairly quick.

Looking forward to following your progress:)

Belle
03-05-2003, 11:38 AM
I buy my meat ready made at the deli. Saves me time. I get them to measure out the amounts in portion sizes. I get 98% Fat Free sliced turkey,chicken or roast beef and somtimes I get the sliced pork and cut the fat off at home. The rest of my meal is easy and is either vegies steamed or a salad. Occasionally I have what the others are having if it looks good and is something like chicken masala. Last night it was devilled bbq sausages and white rice.

However, the deli meats make my lunches easier to make and quick too. Often times I am eating at different times to everyone here anyhow due to my workouts and stuff. They would sit down and eat at 6pm whereas I would be in the gym at that time, so I eat at 3pm instead and then at 8pm. So having something tinned or ready weighed and just bagged is handy.

MagicMel
03-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Finally into ketosis last night.:)
Had a good leg workout PLUS 20min HIIT on ellipital trainer last night, too.

Weighed in this morning at 148.6lbs again for the third day in a row. But BF% has dropped to 22.2%. That's down .8% in 3 days. Cool!:cool:
Still can't get the hang of these calipers though.:mad:

It's easier than I thought it was going to be in re skipping over the non-fibrous carbs. Wifey did grocery shopping the other day and did me a "favor" by buy me some wheat bread for my brown bag lunches, and a big box of reduced fat Wheat Thins. She also found some sweet white corn on the cob and bought 12. :eek:
I said thanks but I'm on a new diet and can't eat that stuff anymore. She just rolled her eyes.:rolleyes:

Well, we'll see what the weekend has to bring. Hopefully somewhere in the 21%BF range. (Tanita scale, not calipers)

Eye2_Man
03-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Hey MagicMel, what made you decide to try Keto? Do you think that's the only way to burn fat? Or is it the just the best and easiest? Keep us posted on all aspects of it. Like effectiveness and how you feel. Lifting ability. Etc.

It's kind of funny refusing to eat the groceries your wife brings home isn't it? The expressions on their faces are pretty cool.

MagicMel
03-07-2003, 08:37 AM
I went with Keto, because it seemed like the kind of diet that we are all searching for. Using fat cals as energy, therefore burning off your own fat, and sparing or even building muscle mass as you diet. Best of both worlds? I'm gonna give it 3 months and if I get the results I'm looking for, I may just make it my new way of eating for life.

BTW, I'm typing this post at the same time as I'm chowing down some Jimmy Dean sausages and eggs. It's been a long time since I've had that kind of breakfast! Do ya think I like this diet?

Hibiscus09
03-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Well, sweetie, you're pretty good looking! I'll have to pick on you more!! ;) Your shoulders, chest & arms are looking great!

Belle
03-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by MagicMel
It's easier than I thought it was going to be in re skipping over the non-fibrous carbs. Wifey did grocery shopping the other day and did me a "favor" by buy me some wheat bread for my brown bag lunches, and a big box of reduced fat Wheat Thins. She also found some sweet white corn on the cob and bought 12. :eek:
I said thanks but I'm on a new diet and can't eat that stuff anymore. She just rolled her eyes.:rolleyes:

lmao! Sounds like my hubby actually. He is absolutely dizzy with my diet. I switched to a higher carb intake some weeks ago and he was STILL adding cream into my coffee up to last week when he made it. I told him things had changed and he had the same facial expressions! LOL! One minute it is tea or coffee with skimmed milk and splenda..next minute it is creams and splenda in it! I love keto diet. Since I stalled a week ago I was trying to think of a good excuse to go back on it as I lost 7 lbs in a week when I did it. :)

tracyb555
03-07-2003, 05:25 PM
LOL! My hubby thinks I don't eat enough - but he is not home during the week and doesn't see how much I really eat. Anyway, sounds like you are excited about the new diet. Hope it works well for you.

TwoWalks
03-08-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm chowing down some Jimmy Dean sausages and eggs. It's been a long time since I've had that kind of breakfast!

Mel, I sure hear that, I am doing a adjusted BFL diet by including Turkey bacon, eggs and whole wheat toast for Breakfast. Higher Protien, lower carb than BFL. :D and it sure do taste good.

TrishB
03-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Mel...good luck with keto. :)
Be prepared for feeling crappy after a few days, seems like most do. Except IPR...he is an exception to most rules.

Great to see those body fat numbers dropping down!

MagicMel
03-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Last night was chest/tri night. Felt a little bit sluggish and a little weaker. It was my 5th day on Keto, and a full week off Creatine. I applied Max-OT to my chest routine and it felt great, nice change of pace. Then I went straight to heavy tri's, no warm up.

Today I felt even more sluggish than yesterday. It's my off training day. I did a carb refuel dinner and am feeling a bit more charged up now. I will probably continue carb loading till lunch tomorrow.

I weighed in this morning at 147.4lbs, 23.3% BF.
Weight is down 1.2lbs but BF% is up 1.1% from yesterday??????

I don't know where those numbers came from but I don't think I'll be weighing myself every day any more. Probably just every Friday morning from now on. It's bound to be too much of a rollercoaster ride for the next 3 months.

Belle
03-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Your doing well to maintain the lifting in keto. I never coped with it at all. I had to up my carbs in the end to even do the type of lifting I had been doing prior to doing keto. However, I did keto longer than 5 days --- 3-4 weeks in fact all told. Your doing it for five days is probably a lot better for the body building side of things.

MagicMel
03-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Well yesterday I felt a whole lot better, a lot more energy than Friday and Saturday. Like I posted on Saturday night, I did the carb-up meal for dinner Sat, but I did continue with it for breakfast thru lunch on Sunday. Even with the carb-up meals, I still managed to stay in ketosis this morning. Cool!

Sunday night was back/bi's. I had loads of energy and I applied Max-OT to the back routine and went straight to heavy bi's. I'm feeling like I got a good workout last night based on my soreness this morning. However, I now have a ligament/tendon slight twinge of pain in my left outer elbow region. It's the same joint that I kinked when I did that 80lb db bench press 2 chest workouts ago. Oh well, I'll just were my magnetic elbow brace and copper bracelet that I use for golf. I always got relief from that combination on my right arm, so why not my left.

I'll be looking forward to the 1 or 2 weeks off from training starting this Friday, when Justin will be born. I'll take it easy on the arm until then. Then I'll use the time off to recoup the elbow. Unfortunately, that's the side I prefer to hold my kid in. But he will be a lot lighter than the 140lb cable curls that I did last night.
BTW, it sure felt awesome to curl the entire stack of weights!

TwoWalks
03-10-2003, 10:37 AM
that's the side I prefer to hold my kid in. But he will be a lot lighter than the 140lb cable curls

Dang for the wifes sake I sure hope so If not we will hear the delivery clear up here in the Central California area:)

Congrats on the whole stack:D

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Good job, Mel!!! Be sure to take your glucosamine/chondroitin! :)

MagicMel
03-10-2003, 10:55 AM
TwoWalks, lmao! She better not deliver 140lbs, she only weighs 118 as we speak. And this is just about full term!!

Hib, thanks for the reminder! That might be it. I read on one of the other Keto threads that glucosamine creates a slight insulin spike. So I have been skipping my evening dose of it. Since I now know that 3 carb up meals in a row, does not take me out of ketosis, I will go back to taking the full dose. Thanks! :)

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 11:47 AM
You're welcome sweetie! :) I'm jealous of you right now -- I want a baby!!!

Belle
03-10-2003, 01:03 PM
LOL Mel, I think I weighed double your wives weight at term. :)

Put it this way, I was 185 lbs AFTER I gave birth.... LOL! I was about her weight now when I was slim (71/2 - 8 stone ish) and without pregnancy. What does she normally weigh when not pregnant?

MagicMel
03-10-2003, 03:34 PM
My wife usually weighs in around 100lbs.
I never new there was a woman's size 0, until I went clothes shopping with her the first time back in '89. Before this pregnancy she felt she was "fat" in a size 4.

Here's our wedding picture from '94. It's out of my wallet so it may be a little krinkled or blurred, but you can tell by her arms how thin she was. That wedding gown is a size 2, that was "taken in".

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 03:57 PM
She looks beautiful! I weighed 103 when I got married & also bought a size 2 that was taken in. LOL I also owned a zero size jeans then. Unfortunately, J Lo has taken over my body. :D The jeans have progressed to a size 3/4 & I don't like discussing the weight at all anymore!! At least the bodyfat has come down. :)

Oh, and also, that was 20 years & 2 children ago.

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:00 PM
a fat thin person...

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Hows about the next two shots for before and after?

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:03 PM
here it is again... size 4 "Before"

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:05 PM
We actually conceived on our Wedding Night. This is me the night before my first Caesar in the hospital at term.

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:06 PM
I carried a lot of water...LOL!!!

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 04:08 PM
You look beautiful in your wedding dress! Roo looks mighty handsome too. Now that tummy looks like it is definitely ready to get rid of what's inside!! LOL

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:11 PM
I was about to bust there I can tell you. I could not have gone one day longer and that was a month early not term! Nightmare I tell you...

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, I figured something had gone on for you to earn that "goddess" title! LOL

Belle
03-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Well Godess will just about sum it up if I ever pull a big enough miracle to pull those ab's in after stretching that huge! Actually, I was even huger the fifth time around than there, but we won't go there. People may not sleep if I do that... :)

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 05:15 PM
I've got one of me with Brittany when she was about 2 weeks late -- but I'm NOT posting. LOL

Belle
03-10-2003, 05:30 PM
awww pwetty puweeaaase.

MagicMel
03-11-2003, 08:51 AM
I may have to sneek a pic of Wendy before she goes in this Friday, or maybe just snap it while she's in pre-op. We'll see.

Any way, back to my challenge.

Yesterday I dropped my calories to approx 1600, but not on purpose. It's just the way things went, and I skipped a couple of snacks and had a lighter than normal dinner. I've been averaging about 2000-2100cals what with all the fat and all.
Last night I did abs and 20mins HIIT cardio on the elliptical. Even without the pre-workout energizer, I had just enough oomph to finish the workout.

I weighed in this morning just out of curiosity. Remember I said I was only going to weigh in on Fridays? Well after yesterday's diet and cardio I just wanted to see.

148.2 lbs, 21.5% BF.

That's down .7% from my last lowest BF% reading, which at the time was 148.6 @22.2%BF. Extremely, cool! :cool:

But I still can't get the hang of those dang *&%#*@ calipers. :mad:

Belle, nice wedding pics.
Remember that suggestion I made on your challenge thread about billboards on the road to your destination? Maybe you could put up a reverse progression of pictures that were taken in the past, with the final picture of you in a size 4. Then for each picture goal that is met, replace it with a current picture until all the pictures are "current".

Hib, size 0 jeans.
Yup, Wendy used to love her size 0 Guess jeans. She used to stock up on those when we went to the Guess Outlet. $30 per pair. Since Brandon, though, the fit is just not the same, even in 3/4's.

Hibiscus09
03-11-2003, 08:59 AM
originally posted by Belle
awww pwetty puweeaaase

Sorry, I meant to respond to that!

Here's the answer:

ummmmmmmmm, nope. :D

TwoWalks
03-11-2003, 09:55 AM

148.2 lbs, 21.5% BF.

That's down .7% from my last lowest BF% reading, which at the time was 148.6 @22.2%BF.

Way to go Mel, your getting the job done. :)

tracyb555
03-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Nice stats Mel! Keep up the good work.

tracyb555
03-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Belle - love the wedding photos. You two make a great couple.

Belle
03-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Belle, nice wedding pics.
Remember that suggestion I made on your challenge thread about billboards on the road to your destination? Maybe you could put up a reverse progression of pictures that were taken in the past, with the final picture of you in a size 4. Then for each picture goal that is met, replace it with a current picture until all the pictures are "current".

I'll have to see if I can find any bikini shots of myself as a kid--around 14 or 15 yrs old as I never really took any after that. My legs have always been too fat for me to walk around in a bikini or costume. In fact this is why I am doing all this. For themost part of my life I have been concious of my legs and it has been that bad that I didn't wear that sort of stuff. Aged 15 would be the last time I felt my legs looked good. So in my forties I want to make a change. They say life begins at 40...so on so forth, and that's how I want things to be from later this year.

Originally posted by Tracey
Belle - love the wedding photos. You two make a great couple

Thanks Tracey and Mel. I forgot to say that I made my own dress anyway, so didn't need it taken in. It was cut of a size 10 (US size 3) pattern, but I had to take it in a little from what I can remember in the back. Who knows what size it ended up...lol!

Hibiscus09
03-12-2003, 04:17 AM
I think your dress is beautiful! I've made curtains & halloween costumes (My son wanted to be Neil Armstrong when he was 5 -- he was so cute!) but don't think I could do a wedding dress. :)

Hey, Mel, the CLA I have is GNC brand -- does that matter? Isn't Tonalin a brand name?

MagicMel
03-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Tonalin is the patented form of CLA. It guarantees that the percentage of Conjugated Linoleic Acid in the cap is at least 74%. Many different brands use Tonalin as their form of CLA, others do not. Vitaminshoppe dot com's brand is the cheapest i've found for Tonalin CLA.

MagicMel
03-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Last night was shoulder night. I would have liked to have applied Max-OT to the workout, but my kinked left elbow would not stand the heavy weight. So I just did the traditional drop sets and kept the reps in the moderate 8-10 range.

Tonight is legs, abs and normal cardio. It will be my last weight training workout for, at most, 2 weeks. Depends on baby Justin, who is due on Friday at 7:30am via c-section. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

I'll continue with keto, but probably target lower cals. Maybe 1500 to 1600. We'll see how I feel.

I will also get some needed crosstraining in:
Lot's of playtime with Brandon who will turn 3 mid-April, as well as shooting some hoop in the driveway. He's doing quite well on his new Razor scooter, so we'll probably be doing some scooting together around the neighborhood to burn some calories. BTW, I DO have my own scooter at 48y/o. It's one of those things that keeps me feeling young. Besides, anything that the neighborhood kids can do, I can do better! I can outshoot any of them in basketball, especially long distance, thanks to weight training. I'm faster than anyone on my bike, thanks to HIIT cardio. I can outrun all of them on my scooter, thanks to losing 25+ lbs. Well, maybe I should reconsider dropping the cals down in light of all this "crosstraining" I plan to do.

Well, we'll just have to see what baby Justin has to say about it.

Weigh in this morning: 147.8lbs. 22.0% BF

Hibiscus09
03-12-2003, 11:44 AM
I can't wait to see the baby!!! I love babies. I want one. :D

TwoWalks
03-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Pappa Mel enjoy the new addition to your lives to the fullest. Take the break for total body recovery without pushing to get back at it. Then when you do get back too it, progress will take off like a rocket:)

Belle
03-12-2003, 12:50 PM
It's ChloŽ's birthday today here... that must mean your about two days away from the 14th there... not long to go now.

I'm just off out the door to get her some birthday stuff. She's 14 yo today.

Hope everything goes well for you both and all's well with Justin,

Best

Valerie

Belle
03-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
I think your dress is beautiful! I've made curtains & halloween costumes (My son wanted to be Neil Armstrong when he was 5 -- he was so cute!) but don't think I could do a wedding dress. :)

Hey, Mel, the CLA I have is GNC brand -- does that matter? Isn't Tonalin a brand name?

Thanks Hib,

That dress was a challenge and up to then I had only made a nightdress and that was back in school in my first needlework class..LOL!! I am good with cross stitch and knitting but useless with sewing machines---I am very impatient with them. Ohhh how many times I unpicked seams on that one. It had masses of them too. I bought the pattern and the fabric and the worst part was cutting out the pattern actually and then pressing the seams afterwards. It all turned out good though in the end. In fact I am a whizz with a sewing machine now and ran up curtains and swags after that for my lounge lol!

MagicMel
03-31-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm back!

It's been 2 weeks since my son's birth.
It's fun kind of work. I do the complete nightshift so that wifey can get her 8+ hours of sleep. I only require 5 to function. So if I time the feedings right, I only have to get up "once" in the middle of the night. BTW, we're bottle feeding. My pecs aren't that developed yet.
Justin has gained almost 2lbs, (just under 9lbs now). I wonder what his BF% is? If I can just figure out how to use those darned calipers.
I really don't remember Brandon (firstborn) being that tiny, but he must have been, because I have a picture on my desk here at work.

2 weeks off from work.
No comment. It's work.

2 weeks+ from touching any weights.
I really miss the gym. But I promised myself to take the full two weeks off from training, to give my body a needed break.

I'll have to change my workout schedule to wor around Justin's sleeping/eating cycles.

My tweeked left arm still does not feel like it's healed yet, so I am assuming it must be a tendon injury of some sort. I will nix all exercises that put a strain on it. Specifically hammer curls, and anything that resembles them.

I stuck to keto the whole 2 weeks too. I just dropped about 200 cals off the menu to accommodate the lack of training.

It's been just over a month on a cutting diet, and 4 weeks on keto.

Today's stats:

145.4lbs
18.4% BF

That's -2.4lbs and -3.6%BF in 2-1/2 weeks? :D
Thank you, Justin!

Hibiscus09
03-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Welcome back!! Sounds like you're enjoying that new baby. I am soooooo envious! He sounds like he's growing well -- they do seem so tiny at first. I love their little fingers & toes. :)

GLAlexander
03-31-2003, 09:01 AM
Mel

Congratulations on your new child and also the excellent weight loss success.

Eye2_Man
04-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Welcome back Bro! Once again, congratulations on the baby.

MagicMel
04-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Justin is 3 weeks old today and its also been that long since i've been to the gym. His inconsistent sleeping and eating habits makes it hard to find time to get to the gym.

I have been doing some real basic lightweight training at work though. But it doesn't compare to the heavier weights and workouts I can get at the gym. The only cardio I get is driveway basketball. Yesterday I practiced fast driving layups for a half an hour straight while my 2 year old played in our SUV. Those windsprint type layups got my heartrate up a bit, but I barely broke a sweat. I miss the Precor elliptical trainer.

I've also not been very keto faithful this week. Occasional chocolates and cookies and minimal green veggies. My very bad!

This mornings stats:

144.8 lbs.
19.7% BF (Tanita Scale)

So weight is down but BF is up. I guess I'm starting to lose muscle now. Can't weight for Justin to get more "regular".

That's it for now.

Hibiscus09
04-04-2003, 08:23 AM
It's worth it, Mel. :)

My best friend is bringing her 3 week old daughter to the beach this weekend to stay with us -- I can't wait!!!! :D

MagicMel
04-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Yeah, it's totally worth it. :)

I don't even mind doing the night shift like I've been doing since he was born. He loves being held and for most of the night when he is asleep, he is actually in my arms on the easy chair in our living room. I hope I'm not spoiling him in this way. BTW, I'm usually asleep, too, while he is. I'm glad I have an extremely comfy lounge chair!

mainer001
04-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Congrats Mel. Have fun with the new one. I'm just glad that I'm not going through it again. Still trying to get my 3 year old out of diapers. He's just to busy and a little stubborn like his father. LOL :D

Eye2_Man
04-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Man... you are so lucky. You know, sometimes people complain like, "My baby cries so much." A crying baby is good.

MagicMel
04-07-2003, 08:09 AM
This weekend was both good AND bad.

The GOOD:

Wifey decided to take both kids to see grandma (her mom). So I got some chores done at home. But even more importantly, it was a great opportunity to GET BACK TO THE GYM! :D

I worked out abs, back and legs. Except for the 350lb leg presses and the full bodyweight pullups, it was mostly conditioning type routines. I followed it up with 15min HIIT on the elliptical trainer.

My bi's are still really sore from the pullups, but my legs don't feel a thing. That's probably due to the bastketball cross training I've been doing.

I still have to find time in the "normal" day to get to the gym, though.

The BAD:

Diet went to crap this weekend. Fast food, including the buns and bread on all sandwiches. Cookies, chips and NON diet drinks. It's a good thing I got a decent workout at the gym.

I've decided to go back to 40/30/30 starting today, for 1 week. Then go back to keto next week. That ought to shock my body, as if it wasn't shocked enough this weekend!

This mornings stats:

145.6 lbs
19.8% BF (Tanita)

Weight up almost 1 lb since Friday, and BF up .1 tick.

MagicMel
04-11-2003, 08:11 AM
End of week report:

Been on 40/30/30 C/P/F all week. Chips and cookies are history! Very light conditioning training at work on Monday & Wednesday.

Today I will be going to the gym right after work. Yeah! :D
If I can keep the workouts short, say 30-40 mins, I might be able to make this my regular gym time. To do that, I would have to work out only 1 body part per day for 5 days, and cut out cardio, maybe. We'll see.

This mornings stats:

145.8lbs
18.5% BF (Tanita Scale)

Body weight up .2lbs, BF down 1.3% from Monday. Cool. :cool:

Hibiscus09
04-11-2003, 08:13 AM
That is cool!!

TwoWalks
04-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Body weight up .2lbs, BF down 1.3% from Monday. Cool. :cool:

One of the things I have liked about weight loss ... it is one time in a persons life it makes them smile to be a loser :D

Welcome back to the workout world, good job

TrishB
04-11-2003, 09:35 AM
You're doing great Mel! Now that you are getting back into the workout routine again, you should be looking really good by this summer!

mainer001
04-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Way to get back at it, Mel. Great job.

MagicMel
04-14-2003, 09:00 AM
After Friday's afterwork workout, I got the go-ahead to make it my regular workout time as long as I keep the sessions short.

I managed to do an entire upper body conditioning workout in less than 30 minutes. It was a machine only workout with minimal rest between sets. It felt almost like a cardio workout but not quite. It felt real good, too.

I will do an upper/lower body split mon/tues, thu/fri, with cardio on mon/wed/fri for the next 2 weeks in order to get re-conditioned after a 3-1/2 week layoff. After that I will do a "normal" 1 body part per day routine. That should keep me in the gym for less than 45min each day.

This morning's stats:

145.4lbs
18.8% BF (Tanita Scale) BTW, I still need more practice using my digital calipers.

tracyb555
04-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Keep up the good work Mel! Can't wait to see those end of challenge photos! :)

Eye2_Man
04-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey MagicMel, you keeping busy?

There's a trick to getting the calipers to work correctly. Just yell more often and louder at the person taking your measurements.

"Do it in the same place as last week!"

"What's wrong with you?"

"That doesn't feel right! Are you sure you are doing it like the picture shows?"

"&*#%$@%*!!! That can't be right. How can I have gained fat while running on the stair-master every day, lifting weights, and on a calorie defict diet. Do it again!"

"This time, do it right!"

After 2 or 3 weeks, you should see a consistent downward trend.

MagicMel
04-14-2003, 11:00 AM
LMAO! :D

I can just see the look on wifey's face when she hears ME yelling that stuff at MYSELF!

If SHE was doing the measuring, I would have been 65%BF yesterday, and 5% today!

TwoWalks
04-14-2003, 11:44 AM
I would have been 65%BF yesterday, and 5% today!

Huh, I thought that was normal ... I hear people all the time saying they gained 5#'s over the weekend or at one Thanksgiving meal :D

Every so many weeks, I put in a conditioning week like you are doing with about 30 seconds rest between sets to speed up weight loss and to make up for my "cardio" that just does not seem to fit my personality :)

MagicMel
04-18-2003, 09:22 AM
The first full week of re-conditioning is just about done. It's been a long long time since i've felt this kind of full body soreness. It just shows you how well the body adapts to a repeated kind of stimuli.
Maybe I should change routines every week instead of every 6-8 weeks?

Contrary to my previous notions, the gym has been LESS crowded at my new workout time 4:30pm, as compared to my old workout time 9-9:30pm. I was alway under the impression that the peak hours were immediately after work, which is why I previously chose to go in at night. Maybe i'm going in just before the crowd hits. Lucky me!

I'll do 1 more week of conditioning, upper/lower body split. I'll up the weight just a tink, too. I'll drop the carbs a little and raise the protein, 30/40/30 C/P/F, instead of 40/30/30.

The week after that, I will go on a 4 or 5 day split with 2-3 days of HIIT cardio. I will still be time constrained so I will probably favor a 5 day split. If the volume is not too high, I would prefer the 4 day rotating split. I'll just figure it out as I go along. I will probably go back to keto diet, too.

Any way, you all have a great weekend! :)

This mornings' stats:

146.4lbs Up 1lb.
18.1%BF Down .7% Hope to get into the solid 17%'s in a couple of weeks.

Belle
04-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I think the gym here would be dead at 4.30 pm too. They are generally still in work at that time and then they get caught up in traffic I guess.

Eye2_Man
04-18-2003, 09:02 PM
You're shed'n off the fat dude. That's cool.

Have a good Easter.

Hibiscus09
04-21-2003, 05:08 AM
Mel -- you're doing great! Bodyfat keeps dropping -- :).

MagicMel
04-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Not too happy with this mornings stats:

145.8lbs Down .6
20.2%BF Up 2.1% Yikes!

This measurement, different from all the others, was taken after "dropping the kids off at the pool". (I just learned that phrase a little while ago. lol!) Does that make that much of a difference on the Tanita scale (BMI reading)? I know it wouldn't if I had used calipers.

This weeks training was not what I had planned. I nixxed the upper/lower body split, in favor of a 3 day rotating split, so that I could do some quality cardio in the short time that I have allotted for the gym. Mon,Tues & Wed I managed to do 15 minutes of HIIT cardio after weights. Yesterday, I did 40 minutes of "normal" cardio. Today I will start the 3 day split again (new rotation), followed by HIIT cardio. Sat & Sun are off training days.

I've decided to do a 45/35/20 C/P/F diet for the month of May instead of Keto. I will save Keto for when and if I need to shed the last of the fat. The new diet will cycle 3 days at 1800 cals (500 below maintenance), followed by 1 day at 2100 cals. This is based on the assumption that it take the body about 3-4 days to kick into "starvation" mode. The diet is also more balanced than Keto is, and it still gives me close to 1gm protein per body weight. I can always fiddle with the ratios if I need to.

That's if for this week.

Have a great weekend.

Eye2_Man
04-25-2003, 11:07 AM
2.1% sounds unreasonable for one week. That would be several millimeters of fat gained. You're plan to avoid starvation sounds really good.

Hibiscus09
04-25-2003, 12:53 PM
How long were you doing Keto, Mel? Is my bf going to go up on this diet???!!!! :eek:

MagicMel
04-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Hib,
I was on keto for a bit over a month and saw my bf% drop the whole time while maintaining most of my weight. I came off it because my eating habits got to be too inconsistent what with the newborn and the 3yo and all. I had to make do with whatever food was around, and that meant carbs! So I chose to go back to a more "normal" diet at below maintenance.

You should not see any significant increase in BF% while on a keto diet unless you're using your cheat days to gorge on Krispy Kreme donuts. :D

Just keep ketoing. Give it a decent chance. You won't regret it. I'll be back on it as soon as homelife normals out a little better.

Hibiscus09
04-25-2003, 01:19 PM
originally posted by MagicMel
unless you're using your cheat days to gorge on Krispy Kreme donuts. :D

Yummmmm! Don't give me any ideas.

MagicMel
05-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Weekly Friday morning update, again.

This weeks training went just as planned. 3 day split rotation starting last Friday with cardio everyday.

Fri - Legs, Abs, 15 min cardio (moderate, elliptical)
Mon - Chest, Shoulders, 15 min HIIT cardio (elliptical)
Tue - Back, Abs, 20 min cardio (moderate, recumbent bike)
Wed - Legs, 20 min HIIT cardio (recumbent bike)
Thu - Abs, 40 min cardio (moderate, recumbent & elliptical)
Fri - Chest, Shoulders, 15 min HIIT cardio (elliptical)

Diet 40c/40p/20f cycling 3days @1800cal, 1 day @2100cal. (Maintenance cals = 2300)

Starting today I will make the transition from Cybex machines back to free weights (finally!). :D

Diet will remain the same or maybe even lower the carbs to 35c/45p/20f, we'll see how I feel.

This mornings stats:
145.0 lbs down .8
19.7 BF% (Tanita scale) down .5
18.6 mm mid section (digital calipers)

Since I don't trust the absolute reading of BF% on the Tanita scale, I used the digital caliper reading to keep track of my "love handle" area only. I'm measuring this area only, because I can't get a consistent reading on my upper/outer pec (non-contortionist wrist) and I can't pinch my thigh the same way twice. My mid-section is what I want to keep track of anyway.

That's it for this week.

Have a great weekend.

Bob45
05-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Hi MagicMel,

Your doing great with your challenge. I wanted to make a post so I get emailed and can follow your progress. It really helps getting others involved. It sure helps me. Keep those progress pics coming too. Your looking good. I need to get rid of the whole in my bellybutton. Thats my fat gauge. It's too deep now.

Hibiscus09
05-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Well, Bob, you could look at that another way -- when I was overdue with Brittany I had a belly bump -- it flipped inside out. I certainly wasn't lean then. LOL

Bob45
05-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Good one Hib. One way for women to cure the deep belly button. Maybe if I drink lots of beer I can lose mine. That reminds me I better hurry up and get in shape. We go to the lake every weekend in the summer and that is beer season for me. Harder to stay away from that than junk food.

TwoWalks
05-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Bob45
Good one Hib. One way for women to cure the deep belly button. Maybe if I drink lots of beer I can lose mine. That reminds me I better hurry up and get in shape. We go to the lake every weekend in the summer and that is beer season for me. Harder to stay away from that than junk food.

Bob I found a cure for a deep belly button but I do not recommend it. If you look at my pics you will notice the button sticks out. The reason for that is it ruptured, I thought it was just there but found out this last week it actually is running clear to the sternum. Sure does a number on the crunches and leg lifts.

MagicMel
05-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I did a little diet experiment on myself this weekend.

I went 200 cals below my intended intake, that's 1600 instead of 1800. (Maintenance cals = 2300). Changed the ratio to 30c/45p/25f.

Weekends are also off weight training days. But that does not mean I don't do any type of "crosstraining". 2 hrs each day of driveway basketball, plus other assorted domestic and family activities keeps the calories burning.

This mornings stats compared to Friday morning:

143lbs down 2 lbs. :D
18.5%BF (Tanita scale) down 2.2% :D
17.4mm mid section (digital calipers) down 1.2mm :D

It might be just water weight, but I sure do enjoy those numbers dropping like that!
Today was also the first time I've been able to suck in my gut, to where it was actually even with, or just inside, my sternum.

I will try to stick to 1600cals today, then will cycle 1 day (tomorrow) at 2000 cals instead of 2100 as planned. Then repeat the cycle. Hope that's enough to keep my energy up on training days. We'll see how it goes this afternoon at the gym.

Eye2_Man
05-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Hey MagicMel, those numbers are damn good. Keep it up.

One thing that's puzzeling is our comparison in millimeters. My mid-section is 11mm now (back is 17mm, tricep fat 9mm, and bicep fat 5mm). But the grand tally of 42mm yields 21% bodyfat. According to my chart it takes under 40mm in the 4 measurements to break under 20% bodyfat.

What do you think the deal is?

MagicMel
05-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Eye2,
Not a clue what the deal is bro'.

It always has been a frustrating thing for me to get consistent readings with the calipers. My trust in the BIA (bioelectrical impedance analysis) method that the Tanita scale uses was never very high in the first place, either.

Maybe we shouldn't put so much emphasis on the absolute numbers. But rather how we feel about what we see in the mirror.

For me, I like numbers and I like gadgets. So I'll just keep using them but I will put just as much emphasis on the "measurement" that I take with the mirror.

Hibiscus09
05-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Doing great, Mel! Glad you had a good weekend with the numbers. :D My mid section only measures 3mm but my tricep is measuring at 8mm. Good thing I don't have to pinch J Lo because the calipers would start smoking & lord knows what number they would register! :D

MagicMel
05-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Hib,
I wish I had those mid section numbers. I take my mid number about 3 inches right of the belly button. Where do you take yours?

smoking calipers? lol!
I'd like to volunteer to be your J Lo calipers. :D

TwoWalks
05-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man

One thing that's puzzeling is our comparison in millimeters. My mid-section is 11mm now (back is 17mm, tricep fat 9mm, and bicep fat 5mm). But the grand tally of 42mm yields 21% bodyfat. According to my chart it takes under 40mm in the 4 measurements to break under 20% bodyfat.

What do you think the deal is?

On any given chart there are different sets of numbers based on: areas measured - number of areas measured - age adjustments etc. You might be using different areas or numbers. Next of course is that different charts will list different numbers for the same results. And the list goes on and on. Be consistant in when, how and where you measure. Be consistant in the chart you use and the area of the chart and then track the reading changes. Now from there Mel is correct, look in the mirror and compare pictures from time to time.

Mel, your making great progress, keep it up Bro.

Hibiscus09
05-05-2003, 12:52 PM
About an inch above and one inch to the left of the top of my right hipbone. LOL -- Did that make sense? It looks to be about 3" over to the right of my bellybutton -- I've just always used my hipbone as a starting point. My waistline is the place on my body that carries the least amount of fat, though.

I'm too afraid of what the number would be if I let someone pinch my J Lo with a caliper, but if I ever do, you're at the top of the list of choices for volunteer pinchers. :D

TwoWalks
05-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Hib,
I wish I had those mid section numbers. I take my mid number about 3 inches right of the belly button. Where do you take yours?

1" to the right with the fold running vertical.

Belle
05-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, Bob, you could look at that another way -- when I was overdue with Brittany I had a belly bump -- it flipped inside out. I certainly wasn't lean then. LOL

I have an "inny" even after it was a "poppy outy" five times. It amazes me how it all pops back into place like there is a little string pulling it inwards lol!

Deeper belly buttons attract more fluff do they?

I once saw someone who used to collect his belly button fluff and put it in a jar... LOL!

MagicMel
05-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Yesterday's attempt at training on a low cal diet went very well. By the time I hit the gym at 4:30, I had only taken in about 1050 calories. Pre-workout I took 3 liver tabs, 2 BCAA caps, and 1 Diesel Fuel Reloaded cap. I had plenty of energy to do back, biceps and 15 min moderate cardio. Post workout shake was good for 225 cals which puts me in great shape for a 300-400 cal dinner.

Well, that was not to be. Wife was making homemade tacos with homemade guacamole. You can't have guac without chips can you? Nope. I must have eaten my entire days calories to that point in a single meal. :( Well that still puts me under maintenance cals but that's not what I wanted. I guess I'll just consider yesterday the day 4 "cheat" day.

This mornings stats are unbelievable considering the previous nights binge:

144.0 lbs up .2 lbs
17.6% BF (Tanita scale) down .9% ??? It's that BIA thing again.
17.6mm mid section up .2mm I was expecting that.

Well, got to take Justin for his 2 month check.

Later.

Bob45
05-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Got me laughing Magic. You sound like me!!!! If there is birthday cake and ice cream may as well eat it till I'm exploding.

Musicguy
05-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey MagicMel,
I just read through your thread (getting caught up). Congrats on the new baby, and also on the progress you're making. We've all got ups and downs, but it seems to me that you've got things moving in the right direction. Keep at it!
Ron

TwoWalks
05-07-2003, 12:53 PM
This mornings stats are unbelievable considering the previous nights binge:

144.0 lbs up .2 lbs
17.6% BF (Tanita scale) down .9% ??? It's that BIA thing again.
17.6mm mid section up .2mm I was expecting that.

Well, got to take Justin for his 2 month check.

Later.

Hey it even gets better - when you think about how sensitive a tanita is too water and then think about the amount of water retention you get from the chips :D

Hibiscus09
05-07-2003, 01:01 PM
I make my family dinner & then I eat my healthy stuff. Sometimes it isn't too much fun. :(

MagicMel
05-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Quote by Hib
I make my family dinner & then I eat my healthy stuff. Sometimes it isn't too much fun.

I got this visual of your family cleaning the table, doing the dishes, taking out the trash, etc. while you are sitting alone at the table sadly eating your healthy meal. :( That can't be right, can it?

Hibiscus09
05-07-2003, 02:02 PM
LOL. Nope. We all eat together, I just eat different stuff. They like to have me around. :)

Hibiscus09
05-07-2003, 02:04 PM
They are pretty good about doing the dishes, though. :D

MagicMel
05-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Friday morning check in.

Training went as planned. Will keep the same 3 day split routine with cardio every day M-F, and weekends off, until next month.

On chest day, all the free weigh benches were filled to capacity. :mad: So I used the Hammer Strength machines for the first time. I like them!:) It's nice to have alternative training options that you can actually feel results with. I'm comparing them to the Cybex machines that I never seem to get a pump from. They're great for conditioning though.

I also added biceps and triceps to my routine this week. Remember I was nursing a strained ligament or something in my left elbow area? I just trained with light weights just to test the joint, and seemed to respond without pain. I'll continue the light bicep/tricep training for another 2 weeks just to isolate them into a quicker recovery. I don't need another setback like that. It's been about 2 months since I've hit them with heavy training.

Diet went almost as planned. Yesterday turned into a cheat day instead of today. Actually it was only dinner, AGAIN. Homemade tacos and fresh guacamole again. This time we added a cheesecake from Marie Callendar's. I was doing so well until....

I'll continue with the same diet plan this week, 3 days at 1600 cals, 1 day at 2000 cals, then repeat.

I've got 1 month left in this challenge so let's see how this mornings stats compare to the first day of the challenge as well as last Friday's:

3-3-2003 150.6lbs, 23.4% BF (Tanita Scale), ??.?mm mid section
5-2-2003 145.0lbs, 19.7% BF (Tanita Scale), 18.6mm mid section
5-9-2003 144.8lbs, 16.6% BF (Tanita Scale), 17.8mm mid section

I actually had to jump on the scale 3 or 4 times this morning just to make sure that the 16.6%BF reading was consistent. I have no clue as to how there could be a 3.1% decrease in 1 week. The battery was change 2 weeks ago. I haven't gotten a haircut. Definitely no liposuction. Maybe the extra guacamole and cheesecake made the bio-impedance reading screw up. Who knows?

Have a good weekend,
and a Happy Mother's day to all the mothers! :)

Bob45
05-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Good to hear you are doing well too Magic. I like your little jokes in your posts. Especially the meal cheat ones. Sounds like the body fat is going down and the weight is staying close which is great. The joint and rotator cuff injuries are killer. I have forced myself to always progress very slowly with weight, be super warmed up before pushing the heavy sets. It has been working so far. I like checking everyones progress. Keep it up.

MagicMel
05-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks, Bob.

I definitely know what you mean about the rotator cuff pain. I was nursing one back in January.
This cycle, I'm not even doing any military pressing, seated or standing, at all. My shoulder work only consists of 5-6 sets of laterals immediately after working out chest. I believe that the pressing motion of chest exercises gives my anterior delts a great workout. The rowing motion of back exercises also works the posterior delts. This is the way I think I will train my shoulders from now on, only because of the rotator cuff problem.

Bob45
05-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Didn't you hurt your cuffs benching? I did. I don't know if I would cut out DB or BB presses. They help out in the bench a lot. I stopped them for a long time too. Now that I restarted they are getting stronger pretty fast. Bench is still going up a little too.

MagicMel
05-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Barbell benching in the 4-6rep range seems to aggravate the cuff. DB benching, however, has been a lifesaver! I can change the angle to make it completely painfree. The same goes for db incline. Seated military db, however, still causes some pain, and there's no way I'll ever to behind the neck pressing.
Bring on the flax!

Hibiscus09
05-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Wow, Mel -- you're doing great. I think maybe I eat too much. Your calories at 1,600 don't seem like much for a man. Maybe I should try something like 1,200 for 3 days, then bump it up a day. Looks like a good plan.

Homemade tacos and fresh guacamole again. This time we added a cheesecake from Marie Callendar's.

YUMMY! :D

MagicMel
05-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Hib,

The calorie cycle thing is based on the assumption that it takes your body about 3-4 days to realize that you're dieting and then goes into starvation mode by dropping your metabolism and storing fat. By adding in a higher calorie, but still under maintenance, day on the 3rd or 4th day, you will supposedly trick your body into not going into starvation mode.
I just read this somewhere a couple weeks ago.
I'll be doing this till my challenge ends.

Hibiscus09
05-09-2003, 12:58 PM
I think I'll feel like I'm in starvation when I drop it down to 1,200 but I'll think on it this weekend & maybe give it a try starting Monday. I've started running & boy does that make me hungry! :D

Looks like you're doing great!

Bob45
05-09-2003, 05:27 PM
How many sets are you doing before you get to your 4-6 rep working sets? You need to do a lot of progressing to warm up good. I was talking to Dummer about that today. I was progressing fine but I'm going to try more working sets next. Just a couple reps in each weight progression until you are where you want to really push.

Bob45
05-09-2003, 05:29 PM
I just reread your post. I didn't realize you still had pain. I thought you were trying to avoid getting hurt.

MagicMel
05-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Bob,
When I last did barbell benching in the 4-6 rep range was all the way back in February, me thinks. I used to warm up with the empty bar for 15-20 reps, 95x10, 115x8, 135x6, 3x145 x failure(but no less than 3 reps).

If I go back to bb benching again, it will probably be a Max-OT type training. I'm doing Hammer Strength machines now, then in a couple of weeks I'll do db benching. We'll see how it goes after that.

My cuff is mostly pain free now, and I'm mostly into protection mode as far as that shoulder is concerned. My elbow on the same side is what I am currently nursing, and it seems to be 90% better now.

MagicMel
05-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I guess Friday's 16.6% BF on the Tanita scale was no fluke. This mornings reading was 16.2%. That's down .4% and at the same time the weight is up .8 at 145.6lbs. Hey, didn't I say I wasn't going to weigh myself more than once a week? :D Can we say, obssessed!
Actually, I have to admit, I do get on the scale every morning AND every night. There is a 2lb average difference between the two readings. e.g last night's weight was 147.4lbs.

This weekend's "crosstraining" consisted of taking the family to the neighborhood carnival, mowing the lawns and about 20 minutes of driveway basketball on Saturday. Mother's Day was was a fairly low calorie expenditure day.

Diet on the weekend was so-so. I had a hot pastrami sandwich with a small bag of potato chips at the carnival. I tried to eat it with only 1 of the buns, but the meat just kept falling off. I was really good, however, and followed it up with DIET pepsi. :D
Don't you just bust up when people order a BigMac Meal, Supersized, then ask for a large DIET Coke! Yeah, that makes up for it, alright.

Sunday, Mother's Day, I bbq'd some baby back pork ribs with Tony Roma's bbq sauce. Betch can't have just one!.....one RACK, that is. That dinner was good for 1000+ cals. Good thing I anticipated it and only had about 800 cals through the day. OK, I admit it, that included 2 Wienerschnitzel chili dogs, minus the buns. At least I had my 2 protein shakes in there.

Any way, next weigh-in will be the regular Friday morning stat. See ya'll then.

Hibiscus09
05-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Great Mel! Glad your bodyfat is going down & weight going up -- that's a good thing! (Well, not for me but for everyone else! LOL)

Bob45
05-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Another good food story. Sounds like your making good progress. My mother was always a diet soda, artificial sweetner in the coffee person. Then thousands of calories along with it. She always heard about it from us too. I just ate everything high calorie.

I've been doing pretty good with my eating. I don't want to embarass myself with my next challenge pic.

TrishB
05-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Mel...do you have to program that scale with your measurments? If you do, Just make sure you change it from time to time....you might be even lower than you think.

TwoWalks
05-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Mel your doing good and the best part is you can find a way to laugh at it even when the diet is not perfect. doing it the right way when you drop some one place because you know your going to get too much at another. What gets me is the person that has a couple of bites of a donut in the AM and then decides Gee uhhhh think I blew the diet for today so now where are the rest of them donuts and may as well throw in a couple of cokes and a box on Bon Bons, I mean after all, I already blew today off. :D

MagicMel
05-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Trish,
Thanks for the tip. The scale requires you to input age, sex, height and activity level. I wonder which algorithm it uses to calculate BMR, because it comes up with 2700-3000 calories to maintain my weight. And here I am trying to cycle 1600-2000 cals to drop fat!

TwoWalks,
A line that I like to use towards the end of the week, as I'm right in the middle of a Snickers Bar Cheesecake, is: "I'll just start my diet again next week."

Or, "Heck, I can burn this off in 30 minutes of HIGH INTENSITY cardio."

LOL!

The "perfect diet" for me is one that is not perfect.
I stick to my diet 85% of the time.
I may complain about the roll of fat around my midsection, but I enjoy the yummy foods, too. I'm losing the fat, but not as fast as I like. I feel a little guilty about eating some foods I shouldn't be eating, but I'm more happy than guilty.

Well, I've got about 3 weeks till the end of my challenge, maybe I should give it 100% instead of 85% and see just how efficiently I really can burn the fat.

I'll start right after I finish this Krispy Kreme donut. :D

Musicguy
05-13-2003, 09:01 AM
I feel a little guilty about eating some foods I shouldn't be eating, but I'm more happy than guilty..........I'll start right after I finish this Krispy Kreme donut. :D

Great post, Mel!

I believe that being happy is a huge part of success when it comes to fitness. It sounds like you know what you need to do, and you're doing it..... with a bit of a treat thrown in along the way!

You are right, it does slow your progress, but by keeping a close watch on things and making sure that overall you are still headed in the right direction, you're going to be OK.

KKremes are great, aren't they? I like the chocolate-iced, white cream-filled ones, myself. And then of course the maple-iced ones. And the..... :D

Hibiscus09
05-13-2003, 09:13 AM
I love that type also Musicguy! Yummy -- made me want one except I'm so stopped up, I probably wouldn't be able to taste it. :)

I have to treat myself at least each Saturday or I won't stick to eating healthy. I love cheat day. :)

TwoWalks
05-13-2003, 09:28 AM

TwoWalks,

The "perfect diet" for me is one that is not perfect. I stick to my diet 85% of the time.
I may complain about the roll of fat around my midsection, but I enjoy the yummy foods, too. I'm losing the fat, but not as fast as I like. I feel a little guilty about eating some foods I shouldn't be eating, but I'm more happy than guilty.

Mel I agree about the food thing. I make it the best I can but know if I try eating foods I can not stand or doing without things I want, then I am not going to stick with it for long. I am a major believer in "Averages". Beside every time I really concentrate on dieting and losing weight I end up with too few calories.

MagicMel
05-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Another good Friday morning to you all! :)

This weeks training went as planned with the exception of extending the cardio times by 5-10 minutes on non-HIIT days, and upping the intensity on HIIT days.

M - Legs, Cardio
T - Abs, HIIT Cardio
W - Chest, Shoulders, Tri's, Cardio
Th - Abs, HIIT Cardio
F - Back, Bi's, Cardio

Except for the Krispy Kreme donut on Tuesday morning, this week's diet was much cleaner than normal. No chips, no cheesecake, no guac & chips, no cookies, no chips, no finishing up the bags of goldfish that my 3yo leaves around the house, and did I mention no chips?
Still doing the calorie cycling, 3x1600 + 1x1900
I actually dropped to 1400 cals on a couple of the low cal days instead of the planned 1500-1600. See what the lack of chips can do, Mel? In fact, I'm considering cycling at 3x1400 + 1x1900.

This mornings stats:

:)142.4 lbs down 2.4lbs! (Maybe too much cardio? Or too little chips!)
:(17.9%BF up 1.3% (Tanita scale. I'll never figure this one out.)
:)16.5mm mid section down 1.3mm (I like that number!)

That's it for this week. Next week will continue the same plan.

Have a good weekend.

Hibiscus09
05-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Glad you seem to be having fun with it Mel!

Those cals seem awfully low for a guy. If you're getting the results you want, though, keep at it! I'm going to try your cycle next week I think at 1,250 X 3; then 1,500 X1. I still have to incorporate date night on Saturdays though. :)

TwoWalks
05-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Another good Friday morning to you all! :)

This weeks training went as planned with the exception of extending the cardio times by 5-10 minutes on non-HIIT days, and upping the intensity on HIIT days.

This mornings stats:

:)142.4 lbs down 2.4lbs! (Maybe too much cardio? Or too little chips!)
:(17.9%BF up 1.3% (Tanita scale. I'll never figure this one out.)
:)16.5mm mid section down 1.3mm (I like that number!)

That's it for this week. Next week will continue the same plan.

Have a good weekend.

Mel the workout looks good, you just have to love a piece of equipment that add water into the fat% it will keep you guessing for a long long time :)

Have a great weekend and enjoy the new one plus give the wife an extra hug just for being there.

Bob45
05-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Mid section down. BF up. Sounds like you should toss that scale. You are doing good and it tells you that you aren't. No snacks is good. Gets easier.

MagicMel
05-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Saturday was an extremely low calorie day. It was clean, but just not enough food. I was busy at a client's site and did not anticipate being there for 6 hours. I only had a banana & protein shake for lunch, and did not have a mid-afternoon shake. I just wanted to finish my work and get out of there. Prior to that lunch I only had a quick breakfast. A bowl of Shredded Wheat and a protein shake with flax. Dinner was a low-moderate calorie balanced meal.

Sunday morning's weight was the lowest I've been in a long time. Even lower than last summer's end Slim Fast diet. I weighed in at 141.6lbs! That's almost a whole pound in 2 days. Can you say muscle catabolism? But hopefully it was more water weight than anything.

Fortunately our next door neighbor invited us to join them at Outback Steakhouse for dinner. I got my calories up for the weekend in one meal just with the Awesome Blossom alone! I also had a Michelob Ultra Light beer. That's the first beer I've had since I don't know when.

As we were walking out the restaurant, my neighbor called me a "skinny ass" and told me to get some tighter fitting jeans. Oh man did that feel great! :D The funny thing is that I WAS wearing tighter jeans. I had not worn size 32's since last September, and decided to pull those out of the drawer only because all my 33's were still in the washer, and the 34's don't stay up any more. I wish I owned a pair of 31's just to see how they fit.

Any way, that's the weekend story.

BTW, I am wearing 32's today and I am also back up to 142.8lbs.

Bob45
05-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Good story Magic. Sure helps when the results are coming. Now instead of saying let's eat I'm starving I say let's eat I'm getting catabolic.

MagicMel
05-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Yesterday was leg day and I wanted to replace the leg press with squats. After warm-up I made my way over to the leg room, and both Smith machines, both squat racks and the power rack were all occupied. So I did leg presses working my way up to 3 sets of 10x360.

By the time I finish a total of 8 sets of leg presses, both squat racks were empty. Oddly enough, I had plenty of energy and my quads were nowhere near being spent. So I did 5 sets of squats. Since I haven't done squats in nearly 3 months, I decided not to go heavy and just did 10 reps at 115,135,155,155,155. I could have gone much heavier, but experience told me not to push it, and for once I listened to myself.

All the hamstring curl machines were taken, so I just did six sets on the calf machine working up to 250lbs.

I finished up the workout with 20mins of steady state cardio on the elliptical (Precor EFX346).

Does anyone do both leg press AND squats in the same workout?
It felt really good but I'm wondering if it's going to be overkill if I continue this way.

Bob45
05-20-2003, 09:49 AM
I think a lot of people do both. Just keep the sets down.

Dutchman
05-20-2003, 11:25 AM
MM, I do both and love it. You can really trash your legs by doing the combo. I find it best to do the squats first. Since I'm on Max OT I am only doing 3 sets to failure in the 4 to 6 rep range. Right now that's @ 290lbs. Afterwards I go to the sled for leg presses and do two short acclimatization sets @ 530 and 610 before my 3 failure sets ending @ 710 for 6. This may be a lot of weight for an old fart but I got there by spending six months building up to it, mostly using GVT. The point is that both multiple sets (10 & 5 respectively) at a modest weight ie. GVT or limited sets at high weight ie. Max OT (3 & 3) work well in combo. My legs have never felt so good getting stronger, bigger and more cut up at last. Take your time but don't be shy about doing the two exercises back to back.

MagicMel
05-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dutch.
I will do both, but since I just started squats again, I'll bring up the weight cautiously to give all the stabilizing muscles a chance to catch up. Most especially the lower back. I just added deadlifts last week, BTW, which will help in that respect.

I'll take Bob's advice, too, and limit the number of working sets, until I'm good and ready. Thanks, Bob!

giantfan43
05-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Dutchman
MM, I do both and love it.

Mel -

Ditto on what Dutch has said .. I've been doing both for awhile and I love the w/o I get .. all my lifts have gone up and although I'm sure my leg press suffers cuz I do them after squats, I'm still real happy with my progress .. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to freak my legs out and I actually did heavy supersets of squats and leg press .. 4 sets of each .. man, my legs were shaking and wobbling after that but it felt great !

GF

Hibiscus09
05-20-2003, 11:46 AM
I love those Awesome Blossom's Mel. :D

Everyone needs to stop talking about how much you can do on leg presses, etc. or I'm going to break down & start lifting heavy on my legs again & I need my thighs to be smaller!!!! When I read that stuff, I think "Hmmmm, wonder how heavy I could get up to again?" I must be part dude. LOL

MagicMel
05-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Hib, YOU are an Awesome Blossom. :)

As far as being part dude, well, only the weight training aspect.
Everything else is 99.9% dudette. :D

Hibiscus09
05-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Wow, thanks sweetie!!!! :D

MagicMel
05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
GiantFan,
It's good to hear that others are doing the leg press/squat combo and liking it. I thought I was just being too gung ho about it and that it might have been overtraining.

BTW, my leg press strength went up a bit. I had been doing 3 working sets at 8x340. Yesterday I did 3 x 10x360 with more strength in reserve. Maybe the V12 is kicking in, in the strength department now. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

MagicMel
05-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Good morning again, it's time for my weekly Friday morning report.

Diet went very well this week. Extremely clean again, for the most part. Sunday's Outback Awesome Blossom & beer, and last nights gorging on pizza were the only "non-clean" meals. Fortunately, they were both on days that were marked as "hi-cal/hi-carb" days. The 3 low-cal/low-carb days this week saw me take in only 1400 calories. Last night's half-a-large Round Table pizza was who knows how many calories, but hopefully it sent a message to my body, to NOT go into starvation mode.

Highlight results of this weeks diet saw an all time low of 140.4 lbs yesterday morning, and 16.1%BF (Tanita scale) on Wednesday morning.

Training went according to plan. Same split and cardio routines from last week.
The V12 definitely kicked in, as strength increased on most exercises. Most notable increase in leg press (up 2 reps AND 20lbs to 360lbs 4-45lb plates each side :D) and Hammer Strength Incline Bench (up 25lbs to 170lbs). I'm expecting similar gains in my back routine this afternoon.

Next week's diet will be the same cal/carb cycling. Fortunately, Memorial Day falls on the hi-cal/hi-carb day, so that won't ruin my neighborhood barbecue eating plans. :)
As far as training goes, I might switch to Max-OT on back and legs. I'm already doing it for chest. We'll see how it goes.

This morning's stats:
:)142.0lbs Down .4lbs (Up 1.6 from yesterday, pizza still in gut)
:)16.5%BF (Tanita Scale) Down 1.4%
:)16mm Mid Section Down .5mm

You all have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Musicguy
05-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi Mel,

Looks like you're getting results... way to go!

Good to see the strength going up. And you're seeing the bodyfat go down, so that is great!

Bob45
05-23-2003, 10:22 AM
All good news!!!

mainer001
05-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Mel,

Your doing great. Keep it up.

TrishB
05-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Great week Mel...even with the few little cheat meals thrown in there. :)

MagicMel
05-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Friday morning report.

Except for the Memorial Day 3000+ calorie binge and skipping the Monday leg & cardio workout, the whole week went as planned.

I have 1 more official week left in this challenge, but I will probably extend it to July 4th. I just want to get rid of these darned love handles before I go back to a maintenance diet.

This morning's stats:

:) 140.4lbs down 1.6lbs (lowest weight so far)
:) 16.0% BF (Tanita Scale) down .5% (lowest Tanita reading ever)
:( 16mm mid section no change

Have a nice weekend.

BTW, pics next week.

Dutchman
05-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Way to go Mel! Its nice when you can say to yourself, "I took the time to have a life" and still get it done in the gym and at the table. With that kind of success its only a matter of time til you are where you want to be. Enjoy the weekend, looking forward to the pics.

Bob45
05-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Good job Mel. Constant progress and having some fun on the side is the way to go.

Belle
05-30-2003, 04:50 PM
I just want to get rid of these darned love handles before I go back to a maintenance diet.

I want rid of mine too. Even though a lot has been sliced off the front, the love handles are still there and I am beginning to wonder if I am not targeting them properly in my workouts.

Your doing well Mel. Keep it up. :D

TwoWalks
05-30-2003, 06:45 PM
I just want to get rid of these darned love handles before I go back to a maintenance diet.

Mel - Love handles are the results of tight waist bands - it squeezes excess flush our the top from the hips - just get a half size larger pants :D

Doing good and looking forward to the pictures. :)

Bob45
05-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Belle
I want rid of mine too. Even though a lot has been sliced off the front, the love handles are still there and I am beginning to wonder if I am not targeting them properly in my workouts.

:D

Belle, I don't believe there is a way to spot reduce anywhere. If I am wrong someone please tell me how.

mainer001
05-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Got to agree with you Bob. The body puts fat where it wants to. I agree with the old adage"first place on, last place off". That is my abs. While I haven't gained a lot since I started my bulk I will be glad to shed a little more of this abdomen fat. After GVT I may try going into a maintenence period where I will try to shed a few more lbs of fat with fewer cals and more cardio. I just do not want to lose what I will have gained bulking.

Belle
05-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Ut oh. That means my legs are going to be the last place it comes off then damn it! I hate this.... :rolleyes:

That sucks. I think the reason my stretch marks are larger is the muscle is getting larger underneath the fat, but the fat isn't diminishing quickly enough. I am thinking to cut leg workouts all together for a while and just do some squats/cardio on that night after last night discussions. Well until I rid myself of some thigh fat anyway.

Bob45
05-31-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by mainer001
The body puts fat where it wants to. I agree with the old adage"first place on, last place off". That is my abs.

I think we are very similar Mainer. My abs and handles are last too. I tried everything to have that fat go first and prove that wrong. There is no way. I think I told Belle before I even tried doing situps for an hour after my workouts to get rid of that fat years ago. I also did weighted ab work. It wasn't a waste because once all the fat was gone they were finally there. I had my fat so low I could see veins in my ab muscles.

I also hate losing hard earned muscle trying to cut. But I'm not going to worry. If you had it then you can get it back faster if you do. I think it is easier and you have more productive workouts with lower bodyfat too. My today's thoughts, LOL.

Eye2_Man
05-31-2003, 07:56 AM
16% is getting pretty low Mel. Good work. Hey, can't you use cutting gel or one of those vibrating belts to target fat loss? Just make the fat uncomfortable and it'll go away.

Bob45
05-31-2003, 08:08 AM
It would be awesome if that stuff worked Eye2. We wouldn't have to go through all this pain in the butt dieting. Just rub on the gel.

TwoWalks
05-31-2003, 08:09 AM
ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT MAKE THIS A FASINATING ENDEVOUR:

Mel and Bob - Love handles
Belle - thighs
TwoWalks - the floppy boobs and fatty arm pits.

It is a wonderful thing to see where each of us begins to focus and measure our goals at. I could live with love handles or a thicker waist - but this thing of needing a training bra is really getting too me. :)

Bob45
05-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
floppy boobs :)

At least this one sounds exciting, LOL

TwoWalks
05-31-2003, 09:06 AM
At least this one sounds exciting, LOL

Not when your four year old Granddaughter asks why your boobs are bigger than Grandma's :D

Belle
06-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
16% is getting pretty low Mel. Good work. Hey, can't you use cutting gel or one of those vibrating belts to target fat loss? Just make the fat uncomfortable and it'll go away.

I've read that Endermologie type treatments are good. Mainly for fat in the thighs, but I don't see why you could not use that treatment in love handle area also? It's a roller come suction think that you iron along the skin with and it gives a very deep tissue massage. I was thinking about my hoover and the upholstery attatchment as being a good way of getting a similar effect and putting the hoover on the highest friccin setting possible. LOL! Then hoovering up and down my thighs with it. I reckons that and one of those massage rollers will iron out the fat cells and squeeze them a little and this is supposed to make the fluid empty out and even out the skin appearance.

;) Things we women do out of desperation and for beauty. :rolleyes:

You could put a pair of panty hose over the upholstery attachment so that is kind of doesn't scratch your skin and glides smoothly. Well I concoted all this in my head after reading about liposuction treatments anyway. This is the Belle "No Frills" "Get the away from me fat!" version I am telling you about. I am seriously considering this. :) x2 sessions a week of fat hoovering should get the circulation going anyway if it doesn't do the other stuff? Why pay out a fortune for a special lil machine to do it when the hoover is just as good and prolly sux better???. Mines a VAX so it has a damn good suction on it. If that doesn't make the fat a tad uncomfortable, I don't know what will. :rolleyes: :D

Belle
06-01-2003, 12:16 AM
Endermologie

The Endermologie machine, developed in France over a decade ago, has been found to have a measurable effect in fighting cellulite. It uses rollers and gentle suctioning to deeply massage the affected areas, increasing the circulation by 200 per cent (manual massage increases the circulation by 60 per cent). Toxins and abnormal water buildup are expelled as connective fibres are stretched. Endermologie also exfoliates the skin, leaving it soft and silky. The increased circulation will give you a natural energy boost.

Expect to wear a body stocking as a technician runs the suctioning rollers over your body concentrating on the cellulite-ridden areas (you may feel a bit like a human hoover). Sessions run between 35-45 minutes and are usually conducted twice weekly. Most salons only offer a minimum course of 14 treatments with prices ranging from £630 to £720. A single session can cost between £50 and £60.

Belle
06-01-2003, 12:18 AM
LOL! I was wrong about the panty hose being over the hoover...maybe you need to wear them? LOL! You need deep gusset type ones if your going to try this for your love handles so they come right up under your arm pits. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Belle
06-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Man that makes your fat cells sting! My legs are red as beetroots. If that didn't get the circulation going in them nothing on this planet will. LOL!

PS: Use a lighter setting on the hose for love handles. Unless you want you liver and kidneys sucking to smithereens that is...LOL!

Belle
06-01-2003, 02:53 AM
http://www.middletoncosmetic.com/Endermologie.html

It can be used on love handles in men. ;)

Don't forget your body stocking though...LOL!

Bob45
06-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Belle, you will be able to find hundreds of ways to supposedly easily get rid of fat. There are also hundreds of ways to build huge muscles in 6 weeks. I think the only way is going to be the hard way. Being strict with your diet, exercise, rest, and a lot of time. I'm not very patient myself. I want everything to work now!

Bob45
06-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Another thing that works best for me is just having a strong motivation with a positive attitude towards all this all the time. That is the hardest part of the whole process for me. When I'm really psyched things seem to happen.

Belle
06-01-2003, 01:22 PM
The circulation in my legs has been poor for a number of years due to the storage of fat there and cellulite. I feel that increasing the circulation could work to help tone skin up and stimulate fat loss at the very least. You can't really get rid of cellulite with exercise alone. There will always be some amount there, even when active and dieting. Cellulite is slightly different to normal fat as it is storage of lymph that has not been excreted basically. Usually guys don't have it but women can be plagued by it, due to their hormone imbalances from month to month. I've done exercises before and never been rid of it completely. So I'll give anything a shot if it costs nothing. LOL.

I feel that by stimulating the circulation it could well stimulate the production of collagen so it will help to tone out my excess skin. Something I'll have lot's of with all the exercise and losing fat. Exercise alone does not remove cellulite. You have to have the right diet also and massage therapy helps to get the toxins from the fat cells to the lymph glands for removal.

A lot of cellulite therapies have not worked, but this one has been around ten years and has seen good results. I'm going to take before and after shots and do this and see what happens. I'm not into spending mega bucks, but if I can just increase circulation alone it will be something I feel. We'll see what happens anyway. :)

Here's what Endermologie does:

Increase blood flow in the skin.

Stimulates enzymes that encourage fat cells to break down.

The vaccum suction increases the length of the vertical fibers and provides rejuvenating elasticity.

Increases suppleness in skin

Frees lymphatic and venous flow

Stimulates fat cells to decrease in size

Diminishes muscular tension

Tones the skin by stimulating the production of elastin and collagen.

Anyway, after I had done that last night I took a very hot bath for ten minutes followed by a cold shower on my butt and legs. Then massaged cream into the skin and problem areas. They say that the increase in circulation alone is enough to actually help where cellulite and fat is concerned, and in conjunction with a clean diet and exercise good improvements are seen. So I'm going to do that twice a week. After only one session my skin felt very soft.

Here is another before and after pic. If it helps to tighten skin by stimulating collagen production that seems like a good thing to do. They have rollers on their suction devices but as long as I get the circulation going and get everything moving, I think it will help. If it did it for this woman, I am confident a little bit of hooovering will help. LOL!

Belle
06-01-2003, 01:26 PM
She just needs some J-LO butt exercises and she'll be right. ;) her bottom is a bit saggy. LOL!

MagicMel
06-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Mel - Love handles are the results of tight waist bands - it squeezes excess flush out the top from the hips - just get a half size larger pants.

Are you saying that my trying to squeeze into my old size 29 501's has been the culprit all along? Every time I try them on, the fat squooshes up but doesn't come back down! AARRRGGH!, NOW you tell me.

Originally posted by Eye2
...Hey, can't you use cutting gel or one of those vibrating belts to target fat loss ...

I have considered Lipoderm-Y and possibly Preparation-H Gel. But those will work only as a last measure when your BF% is somewhere in the range of 10%.

Belle, I don't do pantyhose.

MagicMel
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
BTW,
This mornings Tanita BF% was 15.5% at a weight of 142.4. That's the lowest Tanita BF reading ever for me! Saturdays weight of 139.2 was the first time in the 130's since the late 80's.

giantfan43
06-02-2003, 10:51 AM
BTW,
This mornings Tanita BF% was 15.5% at a weight of 142.4. That's the lowest Tanita BF reading ever for me! Saturdays weight of 139.2 was the first time in the 130's since the late 80's.

Way to go Mel .. that's gotta make you feel good !!!

Hibiscus09
06-02-2003, 12:33 PM
LOL, I've enjoyed reading this stuff! :D

Congrats, Mel on your bodyfat reading & seeing a weight return from the 80s! Whoopeee!

Belle, hilarious stuff. That woman whose pic you showed last looks like her ass got flatter from the endermologie procedure. All your vacuum talk has me thinking maybe I should just slice a hole (an extra one that is!) in my JLo & insert the crevice tool from my central vacuuming system. LOL

Okay, I'm snorting I'm laughing so hard. I'll go somewhere and behave. :D

Hibiscus09
06-02-2003, 12:36 PM
By the way Belle, I heard of a treatment for cellulite on television a couple of months ago called mesotherapy. I looked it up at the time and it was a therapy where they injected a solution into the area. Can't remember what but if you want to look it up, I'm sure you could find plenty of info on the therapy. I believe it originated in Europe (Paris, maybe?). Anyway, interesting stuff.

Bob45
06-02-2003, 12:45 PM
my carpet machine has an awesome vacuum that should suck the fat out fast!

MagicMel
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Speaking of vacuums, not only did I sell a used one at our yard sale this weekend, but I sold all 8 pairs of size 34 jeans, too.
I hope to NEVER wear that size again!

Belle
06-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Well my skin feels great after just one session with panty hose and the hoover Mel. Come on...don't let pride get in the way of your and those stubborn love handles. LOL! I'll be ironed out nice in 4 weeks time at this rate. ;) My next session is on Wednesday...

Belle
06-02-2003, 02:55 PM
my carpet machine has an awesome vacuum that should suck the fat out fast!

LOL! Well I'm trying to increase circulation here, not get huge industrial carpet sucker type hiccies all over my butt and legs Bob. LOL!

Belle
06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
LOL, I've enjoyed reading this stuff! :D

Congrats, Mel on your bodyfat reading & seeing a weight return from the 80s! Whoopeee!

Belle, hilarious stuff. That woman whose pic you showed last looks like her ass got flatter from the endermologie procedure. All your vacuum talk has me thinking maybe I should just slice a hole (an extra one that is!) in my JLo & insert the crevice tool from my central vacuuming system. LOL

Okay, I'm snorting I'm laughing so hard. I'll go somewhere and behave. :D

I was lmao the other night when I started posting. I was still laughing when I crawled into the bath. I was imagining myself doing the nasally voice impression of Austin Powers when I said:

"I was thinking about my hoover and the upholstery attatchment as being a good way of getting a similar effect and putting the hoover on the highest friccin setting possible."

I couldn't stop laughing. No one posted in response yesterday so I thought it was just my warped sense of humour. :D

Belle
06-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Belle
I was lmao the other night when I started posting. I was still laughing when I crawled into the bath. I was imagining myself doing the nasally voice impression of Austin Powers when I said:

Sorry I meant Dr Evil. LOL!

MagicMel
06-06-2003, 11:02 AM
End of Challenge Report.

I've been nursing a mild case of asthma or bronchitis this week, so I have not been working out at all since last Friday. I also upped the calories back to maintenance levels just to get the nutrition I need to get healthy again. It's a shame, because I thought I could get my average weight for the week into the high 130's. Oh well, what's the rush any way? IT'S ALMOST SUMMER IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!! That's what's the rush!!!

With the increased calories and carbs (40/40/20) the following numbers probably paint a very accurate picture of my current "normal" state of being.

This morning's stats:
141.0lbs
18.0% BF (Tanita Scale)
15mm Mid Section
LBM 115.62
Fat 25.38
Waist 32"

Let's compare stats from the beginning of the challenge:

3/3/03
150.6lbs
23.4% BF (Tanita Scale)
No caliper measurement
LBM 115.36
Fat 35.24
Waist 35"

:DDropped 10 pounds of fat while maintaining LBM!!!!:D

The goal of the challenge was to fit into size 31 jeans, and measure 32" at the belly button. Both goals have been achieved.
In the following pics, I am wearing size 31 Calvin Klein jeans (they were cheaper than Levi's).

I am going to continue cutting, because I am still not happy with having these love handles spill over the top of my jeans. Maybe I should just buy back my old 34's and then I wouldn't have the spillover problem. :)

I'll be starting GVT next week and dropping cardio to 2 days per week. I don't want to cut, and NOT have any substance to show.

I'll continue to report results in this thread since it is geared to cutting.

Later!

MagicMel
06-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Back shot.

Next pics at end of summer, I'll be using a new digital cam.

Hibiscus09
06-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Wow, Mel. You've trimmed up a lot on this challenge. You can definitely see the waistline difference! Congratulations! :D Hope your asthma/bronchitis gets better. Having had that lovely sinus infection recently, I know very well how much it sucks to be sidelined because of that sort of thing! Oh, well. If I didn't get sick, I would never rest. LOL

Anyway, great job on your challenge!!!!

Bob45
06-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Great job Mel. Lookin good. Hope you get well soon!

Musicguy
06-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Way to go, Mel! 3 inches off the waist.... I'm jealous.

TwoWalks
06-06-2003, 08:59 PM
mel, you have done a great job. Hey summer of not, I look at it this way: Each spring I want to look better than the spring before. I figure this summer, may not be perfect but it a heck of a lot better than I looked last summer.

When ever I look at your pics, it throws me because you look a lot bigger than 115 LBM.

HE'S A WINNER :D

Belle
06-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Well done Mel. new digi cam huh? Well no excuses for not posting pics now...we need some pic happy guys around here. LOL!

OneHotMama
06-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Great job Mel! I'm glad you met your goals :) There is definitely a noticeable difference between your before and after pics.

TrishB
06-08-2003, 10:22 AM
YEAH! Great challenge Mel! Size 31 jeans is incredible! With your continued enthusiasm, I am sure you'll be into the 29s by summers end. :)

mainer001
06-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Mel,

Great job with your challenge. I hope that I have as much success with mine as you have.

Your looking great.

MagicMel
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the comps and especially for all your continued support.

Yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of my decision to get in shape. Here's the only pic I have of myself from around that time, that actually shows my "problem area" (gut). This was taken at Sea World, San Diego on 6/17/02, a little over week from getting back to the gym. I had already lost 3 lbs that week. I weighed 170lbs on 6/8/02.

Bob45
06-09-2003, 09:25 AM
I was just thinking I really need a vacation then clicked on your picture. You made quite a difference alright. Was that a beer gut or guacamole(spelling)?

MagicMel
06-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Mostly chips & cookies. Especially chips, my nemesis. I can polish off a super size bag of Lays BBQ chips before half time.

I'm not very a huge fan of alcohol. But an occasional beer is always a fun thing to do, when going out to dinner with friends and neighbors. I might even have TWO beers. What a lush!

mainer001
06-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Mel,

You have made an awesome progress. Keep it up.

Bob45
06-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I have a long list of things I like to pig out on. I haven't been for a long time now. It sure will be hard to make it permanent. Hopefully I can be happy with once in awhile after I lose my fat.

MagicMel
06-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah, sometimes I wish I could call up a support group called Chip & Cookie Eaters Anonymous everytime I get the urge to delve into my son's bag of chips. As long as I don't take the first bite, I'm fine. Last night my wife opened up a bag of Keebler Chocolate Chip cookies (that I bought) and left them on the table for Brandon to snack on. I was really only going to have just one, honestly! But it was OK since I was going to start GVT tomorrow (today)! Well, half a dozen cookies later, I realized I better put the bag out of sight. The new diet starts today!

Bob45
06-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Sounds like you are thinking of PH's. Have you done everything and stopped making gains on your own? Those things don't sound too safe to me. Do a lot of research if you are thinking of it.

MagicMel
06-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Yup, been thinking of PH's for a while now. Did you get that from my Saw Palmetto question in Dutchman's challenge thread?

I've done a lot of research over the last 2-3 months and decided that 1-AD will be the PH that I am going to use, when I do use one. In fact, I purchased it some time ago, and I am just waiting for the right time to take it.

One of the things I'm waiting for is a consistency in the type of training that I am doing. I've been cutting for the last 3 months and my training has been more cardio than weight training. Since I'm switching over to GVT this week, and thinking about dropping cardio to 2x per week instead of 5x per week, I am setting myself up for a short, low dose trial PH cycle maybe after the 4th of July. It has been reported by a few more knowledgable guys in the Supplements forum, that taking 1-AD while on a cutting diet, can actually enhance the "fat burning" while hardening up the muscle mass. Hopefully, I can get my BF% into the 13-14% range by the time I start the cycle, so that it can help me get to a hard looking 11-12%.
At least, that's what I'm contemplating. I may not do it until the end of summer or maybe even a winter bulk. Like I said, the time has to be right for my AND my family.

Bob45
06-09-2003, 08:17 PM
I did see that in Dutches thread. They may help strength wise but seem to have too many negatives for me.

mainer001
06-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Mel,

I have toyed with the idea but I will definitely wait until I have a solid year of training under my belt before I will do a cycle. I'm still researching PH's and I have not made up my mind as yet.

MagicMel
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Challenge within a challenge started yesterday.

Goal is to add LBM while dropping mid-section BF measurement to 10mm. That should get me comfortably into size 30 jeans, which IS the priority.

I'll keep track of one more stat, too, and that is arm size, which should be a good indicator of adding LBM. I've actually lost almost 3/4" off the arms since cutting started in March. OUCH!!! I haven't measured them since then, and I was very suprised to see that much loss in arm size. They were just over 14-3/4" cold back then, just after strength training. They are barely 14-1/8" now. Wimpy, I know, I know. sniff :(.

Training will be GVT (10 reps) with the following split:

M - Arms, Shoulders
T - Abs, HIIT Cardio
W - Legs
Th - Abs, Steady State Cardio
F - Chest, Back
S,S - Off

Diet, will continue with Carb/Calorie cycling at 1300x3, 1600x1. This diet has worked really well so far, and since I'm dropping cardio from 5x per week to 2x per week, that should help add some LBM, hopefully. If the mm's come off but the LBM stays the same as has been the case lately, then I will up the protein and add a teaspoon more of flax.

Challenge End date: 7/20/2003

Starting Stats 6/9/2003
142.6lbs
18.2% (Tanita Scale)
15.0mm Mid-Section
14-1/8" Biceps (cold)

Wish me luck! Size 30 jeans...here I come! Maybe 29's?

Bob45
06-10-2003, 11:52 AM
You've done great so far so I'm sure you'll succeed. If you want the mass pile on the weight. Struggle with those last couple reps.

Bum
06-11-2003, 02:36 AM
Mel....you're in lakewood........what gym do you go to?

MagicMel
06-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Bum, I go to 24hr Fitness on Candlewood, next to the new Target they are constructing. Man, did they make a mess out of the parking!

Bum
06-11-2003, 10:26 AM
^thats the one in lakewood mall right?

MagicMel
06-11-2003, 11:10 AM
That's the one.

Where do you work out?

TwoWalks
06-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Mel you have done a really great job and the new goals sound really good also.

As far as the arms shrinking: Hey they might actually have grown. If you lost a 1" off them in fat then the mass actually would have gone up 1/4". The hardest part of losing and looking for growth at the same time, is that even when something grows, it might just become smaller with the tape. There is just no way to know how much of the measurement is fat to begin with. My arms were 15" when I started and ended up 14.5, then I raised calorie intake and they went up to 15 1/4, now as I am losing body fat again, they are back down to 15"

MagicMel
06-11-2003, 11:40 AM
TW,

Maybe I should use my digital calipers on my biceps in addition to using the tape measure. Oh, never mind, I forgot about my previous caliper ordeal in measuring my upper chest. Biceps would be worse. :(

Bob45
06-11-2003, 12:38 PM
I like to change myself in the mirror. That's my best measurement.

Bum
06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
i work out at home for right now..until i can find a job and pay for my gym membership..:(.......you know any place that is hiring...........20yr old college student

TwoWalks
06-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bum
i work out at home for right now..until i can find a job and pay for my gym membership..:(.......you know any place that is hiring...........20yr old college student

Not trying to be smart with this one, but, have you tried the gym? Often, some gyms will have some work around they will exchange for a membership.

MagicMel
06-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Yesterday was GVT leg day.

Why does my office have to be on the 2nd floor with no elevator?
Ohhhh, the pain, the pain.

mainer001
06-12-2003, 08:53 AM
So Mel,

I can guess from your post that your legs are fried today. Just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into. :D

TwoWalks
06-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by mainer001
So Mel,

I can guess from your post that your legs are fried today. Just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into. :D

Mainer look at it this way: When you finish your third cycle of full GVT, you can get a Tshirt that says:

When I die I am going to heaven
I've already been to hell

:D

mainer001
06-12-2003, 09:25 AM
When it is all over with I just may do that. :)

Bob45
06-12-2003, 10:40 AM
So Mel, are you doing a lot of cardio tonight, LOL?

MagicMel
06-12-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm going to substitute ZERO state cardio for steady state cardio today! :D

I don't think I'll be back from hell until the weekend.

MagicMel
06-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Monday morning weekly report.

I'll report stats on Monday instead of Friday. It just gives me a more accurate picture of how it went the previous week training PLUS 2 days of recuperation.

The first week of GVT went as planned except for skipping Thursdays' cardio due to spaghetti legs from 10x10 squats & 10x10 leg curls.

Fridays Chest & Back went as follows:

A1 - Incline Db, 5x30, 3x35, 2x40 (This week 10x35?)
A2 - Lat pulldowns 10x90 (This week 10x100)
B1 - Pec Dec 3x12x50 (This week 3x10x60)
B2 - T-bar rowing 1x10x45, 2x10x50 (This week 3x10x50)

Diet was a little below average.
Had a handfull of cookies, here and there (they were on sale).
Even though I'm not on Keto, I did finish a bag of fried pork rinds in less than half an hour. I was washing the cars at the time and I did drink it down with a DIET Vanilla Coke, so that was "OK" since I burned it all off, lol!
I had a slice of Chocolate & Caramel covered cheescake at Joe's Crab Shack last night! Hey, it was Father's Day! I deserved it.

This morning's stats:

:) 140.8lbs down 1.8lbs
:(18.5%BF (Tanita Scale) up .3%
:)14mm mid section. down 1mm. This is the priority measurement!

Ya'll have a good week!

Eye2_Man
06-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Just caught up with your thread. 31 pants? Holy cow. That's great work man. From your post on 6/6 it looks like your challenge went real well. Now as for the GVT.... hmmmm. That's pretty rugged.

JMO, don't worry too much about the PH's. There seems to be a lot of mystique about them. But it's good stuff.

giantfan43
06-17-2003, 07:51 AM

The first week of GVT went as planned except for skipping Thursdays' cardio due to spaghetti legs from 10x10 squats & 10x10 leg curls.

Hi Mel -

I will admit, I haven't been keeping up with my cardio .. today was supposed to be my cardio day but I stayed in bed instead .. I forgot how taxing GVT really is and rest is so important .. so, from now on, I'm playing the cardio by ear .. seeing how I feel from one day to the next .. keep us posted on how you do..

GF

giantfan43
06-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Mel - another question .. how you doing with the V12 ? This is my third week and I'm liking it .. I do feel the pump and the muscles seem more full and obviously vascular .. I'm not sure I've noticed any strength gains though .. but, I've had so much going on the last couple of weeks that I'm not sure there aren't other things hindering that .. I absolutely get NO bloating which is good .. but I do want to notice the strength increase or I won't cycle with it again .. have you noticed anything ??

mainer001
06-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Mel,

I am also curious about any strength gains on the stuff. I am doing well on straight creatine but the bloat s**ks.

MagicMel
06-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Eye2,
Good to hear from you again. It's been a while.

It's just the start of my 2nd week of GVT, and the only problems i've had were on leg day, and especially the day after.

As far as PH's go, I'm glad you liked the results of your first go at it. As a matter of fact, I just started 1-AD yesterday. I'm doing a very low 200mg dose for 5 days, and if I don't notice any mood swings by Friday, I'll up it to 300mg per day. I will only do a 2 week cycle this first time around. I decided to do it because Justin (3 months old) has been sleeping through the night for the last 4 nights, which gives me the quality sleep that one needs while on cycle AND doing GVT. I am taking this while still on a cutting diet, too. Hope it goes well.

Eye2_Man
06-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Good to hear your boy is sleeping through the night!

You mentioned several weeks ago that you were considering adding a little (25mg ?) of 4AD too. Is that still your plan?

How long are you going to stay on the 1AD if you feel no sides? Still two weeks?

On an OT note, how long was your wife and baby in the hospital before they came home? Was the baby allowed to see mom during the days and nights they were in the hospital recovering and observation?

MagicMel
06-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Giantfan, Mainer.

I was nursing a brochial condition in the last week of my challenge, so I stopped taking the V12 because I didn't know what effect the hemodialtion would have on my condition.

In that month of taking V12, I did not get the strength increase that would be comparable to the time I was taking just plain Creapure Creatine monohydrate. Maybe I did not give it enough time? After all, you're not supposed to load V12 like you do regular Creatine, right? When you think about it, if you do not load creatine mono, then it takes about a month to start feeling the effects. Maybe it's the same with V12, and I just did not give it all the time that was needed to kick in. I did not bloat, though, and that was a good thing.

Any way, the next Creatine I'm going to purchase will be Syntrax Straight. It is Creatine anhydrous, which is also reported to be a "bloat inhibitor". It is creatine with no other added stuff like V12 or Swole. You load it the same way, too. It also seems to be almost as cost effective as Creapure.

I just started a 2 week cycle of 1-AD yesterday, and I will use Syntrax Straight starting post cycle. We'll see how it goes.

MagicMel
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Eye2,

I'm only going to add 4-AD if lethargy or loss of libido occurs. I have it already to go just in case. I just want to keep the cycle as simple as I can, just to test the waters. If there are no weird side effects, then I will extend the cycle to 3 weeks max, at 300mg per day. There have been a handful of guys who used 1-AD at 300mg per day, and saw decent results. And I figure at my bodyweight of 140lbs, 300mg should be the max for my first cycle.

My wife & child came home after 2 nights in the hospital, which is a shorter than normal stay for a caeserean delivery. Normal would have been 4 days. Since Wendy was already experienced at caeserean birth, she recovered extremely fast in the hospital. She showed a great attitude & disposition, and the doctor told her to just "Go Home, all right, already!"

While in the hospital, Justin remained with Wendy for most of the time, either in the crib or cuddled in bed with her. The nurses always came in to check, just to make sure she wasn't overdoing it.

I still can't believe that he's already sleeping through the night. He's only 3 months old and just barely 15lbs. He slept from 10pm to 7:30am on Friday AND Saturday night. That's not normal, but we'll take it!

mainer001
06-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Mel,

Both of my children slept through the night from 3 months on. And they both would sleep from around 10PM - 6 AM. Babies need a lot of sleep. You know it when they need something else. LOL

Hibiscus09
06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
My wife & child came home after 2 nights in the hospital, which is a shorter than normal stay for a caeserean delivery. Normal would have been 4 days. Since Wendy was already experienced at caeserean birth, she recovered extremely fast in the hospital. She showed a great attitude & disposition, and the doctor told her to just "Go Home, all right, already!"

This was my experience too -- :). After I had Brian, Jr. (baby #2 -- also baby away at camp -- sniff, sniff) I asked to leave the 2nd morning -- the doctor said I could go whenever I wanted to. The major difference was that with the first baby (sweet Brittany in Washington, D.C. -- sniff, sniff) I let them put me to sleep for recovery. I asked them not to do that for the second baby & it made a MAJOR difference in how I felt afterwards. Additionally, I labored with the first baby for 10 hours and the second was a planned caeserean -- much nicer.

MagicMel
06-23-2003, 09:13 AM

2nd week of GVT went very well. All weights were bumped up from the previous week.

Arms, Shoulders
A1 - Tri pushdowns 9x60, 1x70
A2 - EZ bar curls 10x50
B1 - Db lateral raise 3x20 (bad form, will drop to 3x12x15lb)
B2 - B/O lateral raise 3x12x20

Legs
A1 - Squats 7x120, 1x125, 2x130
A2 - Leg Curls 5x25, 5x30
B1 - Calf Raise (leg press machine) 1x90, 1x180, 2x250, 2x12x300

Chest, Back
A1 - Db Incl press 5x35, 3x40, 2x45
A2 - Lat pulldowns 8x90, 2x100
B1 - Db Flyes 3x35
B2 - T-bar Row 1x55, 2x60

Diet for the past week has not been very good. I need to get more control of the carb craving in the late afternoon and evenings. Through most of the day it goes extremely clean and true to the calorie plan. Then I just lose it come 5:30 or so. I try to hold off till dinner time (7-7:30) by eating some nuts, or beef/turkey jerky, but I always end up with a couple bags of chips, or get caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Something's going to have to change. Maybe take an appetite suppressant at this time of day? We'll see.

1-AD has had absolutely no side effects so far. I bumped the dose to 300mg on Friday. If this 2nd week on 1-AD is also free from sides, then I will extend the cycle to a full 3 weeks, but no more than that.

This morning's stats:
:(143.6lbs Up 2.8lbs
:(19.3BF% (Tanita Scale) Up .8%
:(14mm Mid Section No Change

Hope you all have a great week!

mainer001
06-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Mel,

Glad to see everything is going well. Keep it up.

Eye2_Man
06-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Good lookin' workouts MagicMel. And good to hear no sides from the 1AD.

Hibiscus09
06-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Don't despair Mel!! :D My sweetie has those night time carb cravings also -- he's always eating a big cup of cereal after supper. I, of course, nicely let him know he'll be a fat behind if he keeps that up! LOL

I predict better stats next time! :D

Belle
06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
I need to get more control of the carb craving in the late afternoon and evenings. Through most of the day it goes extremely clean and true to the calorie plan. Then I just lose it come 5:30 or so. I try to hold off till dinner time (7-7:30) by eating some nuts, or beef/turkey jerky, but I always end up with a couple bags of chips, or get caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Something's going to have to change. Maybe take an appetite suppressant at this time of day? We'll see.

Have you tried the product called Beano? It is supposed to be really good for carb cravings. Also I wondered about glutamine, because that is meant to suppress the appetite and stop cravings for sweet things also. Do you take glutamine at those times when your cycling off carbs?

Belle
06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Also I find psyllium husk in a drink will pretty quickly fill your tummy and take the urge to eat off. Maybe x2 teaspoons in a glass of low sugar drink will help after dinner?

MagicMel
06-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Belle,

I haven't tried Beano. I wonder how that would work?

I am taking 15-20g glutamine every day, in addition to what is in my protein drink. 5g of it is added to my post w/o shake at about 5:30pm. That shake consists of 20g whey protein plus 20g dextrose (corn sugar) plus 5g additional glutamine.

My problem is when I get home at about 5:45-6pm, my son has opened up his bag of cookies and a couple small bags of chips, and leaves them on the kitchen table. It's a visual craving for me. If I didn't see them, I wouldn't eat them. It's not as if I go into the cupboards looking for chips and cookies. Once I get that first cookie or chip in my mouth, I'm done for. He has only started doing this the last couple of weeks, BTW. Coincidentally, in the last 2 weeks I have dropped cardio from 5 days to 1 day per week, I've changed to GVT training, and I am now taking 1-AD (prohormone). I weighed my lowest weight about 3 weeks ago at 139, and am now at 144-145. BF% is up, too. I need to gain control again!

Belle
06-24-2003, 01:06 AM
I have no idea how it works Mel. All I know is some folks use it when they are cycling off carbs and back into a low carb diet but I may have mixed it up with some other product because when I look it up it's for gas. Maybe they are gassy when they are making that change over from carb up to low carb again?

The psyllium would definately give you that filling feeling anyway. If you have the munches, then it's important that you find yourself some kind of kocher snack that you can live with at that time. Something that will make you feel less deprived. When I was low carbing I would just make up the eggs with splenda and nutmeg in the oven. That or a weight watcher jelly or something that tastes sweet but isn't full of sugar.

We can't all give up sugar unfortunately and I used to go through a ton of splenda, which I am now curbing back. It's very hard to wean off everything all at once so it's good to find substitutes until you re educate your taste buds. Chippies are fatal. I think they are how I gained so much weight. I used to buy the giant sized packs and gorge on them with sour cream as a dip. So don't get me started on that one again....

Musicguy
06-24-2003, 05:42 AM
My problem is when I get home at about 5:45-6pm, my son has opened up his bag of cookies and a couple small bags of chips, and leaves them on the kitchen table. It's a visual craving for me. If I didn't see them, I wouldn't eat them. It's not as if I go into the cupboards looking for chips and cookies. Once I get that first cookie or chip in my mouth, I'm done for.

Mel, for me, things like this become a mental challenge. A trick that I learned many years ago is this:

When you see the food which triggers the craving, tell yourself this: "I can have that any time I want it, I don't have to have it right now. I call this delaying yourself rather than denying yourself, and it often serves to get you through the moment of intense craving. To take it a step further, and I know this sounds crazy: take the food and smell it. I mean, take that bag of chips, and really take a deep, long breath; enjoying the aroma of the food. Then, while your'e still enjoying the aroma, close up the bag and put the food out of sight, telling yourself that you're going to eat some of this later, if you really want it. Chances are, you will forget about it. This works great with foods with strong flavor: spicy nacho chips, cheese puffs, fresh donuts, chocolate, etc. It's like having the food, but not really eating it: you still get to enjoy the smell of it, which, after all, is a large component of the whole tasting process. The difference is that afterward you don't have the horrible feeling in your gut that you have when you indulge in a "bad" food.

Applying "tricks" like these work wonders at taking the "urgency" out of the craving, and give you that moment of strength you need to make a better choice.

Also, since you're hit with this right when you come in the door, be sure that you have some "good" food choices available at that time of day. Better yet, eat something before you come through the door. When I'm finsihing my day at the college I often eat a protein bar on the way home and drink some bottled water. That takes the edge off my appetite, which is starting to build after being at work.

Bob45
06-24-2003, 06:21 AM
I still think you are doing great. Even though you aren't happy about the eating and want control. Your motivated and have good plans. You said your waist is about the same. The GVT is probably building the heavier muscle. You probably have water retension from the eating and PH's too. Keep it clean and get that good food in you especially with the PH's. You'll make some good strength gains.

The last few days we had Chocolate chips, pizza, cheese curls, brownies, and more laying around. I mananged to hold off.

Hibiscus09
06-24-2003, 06:56 AM
My problem is when I get home at about 5:45-6pm, my son has opened up his bag of cookies and a couple small bags of chips, and leaves them on the kitchen table. It's a visual craving for me.

Mel, when my kids do this I just move the stuff. (Of course, not if they're still munching! LOL) I take it & put it in the pantry -- out of sight, out of mind.

If you're doing GVT & have cut way back on cardio, of course you're going to see an increase in scale weight. Isn't the whole point of GVT (I'm thinking this means "German Volume Training"?? -- correct?) is to make strength gains and add muscle mass. I don't know anything about it, but judging from it's name, I'm assuming tons of cardio would be difficult while doing this type of training. :D I'm also assuming it's increasing your appetite. Just have healthy snacks ready to eat in your fridge & start munching on them. See a cookie, eat a carrot. :D

TwoWalks
06-24-2003, 07:40 AM
My problem is when I get home at about 5:45-6pm, my son has opened up his bag of cookies and a couple small bags of chips, and leaves them on the kitchen table.!

Son, here is where your chips and cookies go ... if I come home and find them on the counter, well, see that trash can over there :)

MagicMel
06-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Now you see why I love this forum so much.
Thanks for the great advice from everyone. I didn't think I was goin' to get so much wonderfully detailed responses. But you peeps are always right there. Much Grass!

After thinking about all you said, I've come to the following conclusions.

1) GVT has been so intense that it probably depletes my glycogen stores more than a "normal" workout plus cardio. My post w/o shake of 25p+25c is probably not enough to fill me back up.
Solution: Increase shake to 30p+30c.

2) Part of my body's normal response to GVT training is to increase appetite to recover from high volume weight training.
Solution: Eat more HEALTHY foods.

3) 1-AD has been known to increase appetite.
Solution: Same as #3.

4) Visual cravings have always been a bad habit of mine.
Solution: Put them back in the cupboard FIRST THING after getting home, while saying "I don't have to have this right now." Have some healthy snacks in plain sight, too.

Taking the easy way out by just eating what is in plain sight has been a mental challenge.
Knowing that you are all "watching" me has renewed a deeper determination to get the job done right.

The new plan starts TODAY.

Thanks again for all your great insight.

MagicMel
06-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Monday weekly report.

3rd week of GVT went as planned. All weights were increased again from the 2nd week.

Arms, Shoulders
A1 - Tricep Pushdown 6x60, 4x70
A2 - EZ Curl 8x50, 2x55
B1 - Lat Raise (Cybex) 4x60
B2 - Db Bentover Raise 3x25

Legs, Calves
A1 - Squats 1x115, 2x125, 7x135
A2 - Leg Curl 4x25, 6x30
B1 - Incline Calf Machine 190,210,230
B2 - Calf Raise (Leg Press) 1x360, 2x410

Chest, Back
A1 - Db Incline Press 8x40, 2x45
A2 - Lat Pulldown 4x90, 6x100
B1 - Db Flyes 3x12x30
B2 - 1 Arm Db Row 3x50

The week's diet was a lot cleaner than the previous week. A lot less junk food and more healthy foods were taken in. The calories had to be around maintenance levels, though, because of insatiable hunger.

There are still no side effects from the use of 1-AD (2nd week). I have decided to continue a 3rd week of 1-AD, and it will be my final week of this PH cycle.

I've come to the conclusion that I cannot be on a cutting diet while doing a combination of GVT and 1-AD. The training is so depleting that there is no way to efficiently fuel my body for recovery unless I take in a minimum of maintenance calories.

This was supposed to be a 2nd cutting challenge within a challenge that would last for 6 more weeks. I'll probably extend it another 6 weeks and just call this current cycle a mass building cycle. Hopefully I can put on some additional mass, which should help burn off the fat a little faster when the next 6 week cutting challenge starts up again on July 20th or there abouts.

This morning's stats:
:eek:145.4lbs up 2lbs
:)17.5% BF (Tanita) down 1.8%
:)13mm Mid Section down 1mm

Have a good week!

Bob45
06-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Sounds like your doing great Mel. BF down, weight up, strength up.

Big Johnson

TwoWalks
06-30-2003, 10:15 AM

I've come to the conclusion that I cannot be on a cutting diet while doing a combination of GVT and 1-AD.

call this current cycle a mass building cycle.

Mel, thats called Passive Resistance

Great job you are doing extremely well and by going with the flow you are limiting the stress level as well. :)

Hibiscus09
06-30-2003, 10:35 AM
This morning's stats:
:eek:145.4lbs up 2lbs
:) 17.5% BF (Tanita) down 1.8%
:) 13mm Mid Section down 1mm

Have a good week!

Looking good sweetie!! :D

Eye2_Man
07-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Man, that is good. Nice job.

Do you have any regrets about using the 1AD? Using PH's in general or on the dosage you elected?

MagicMel
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
No regrets whatsoever...so far. Still no side effects, either.

The dosage I initially targetted was 200mg for week 1, and 300mg for week 2. The actual dosage I did was 200mg for 5 days, and 300mg thereafter for a total of 3 weeks. I am in my final week.

The main purpose of such a mild dosage was to see if my body could tolerate a PH cycle. Since I now know that it can, I will do a 4 week cycle of 1-AD stacked with 1,4 Andro in September. 1-AD will be at a higher increasing dosage of 300mg, 400mg, 500mg, 500mg with a constant 300mg of 1,4.

If that cycle goes well, then in winter I might try a 1-AD/4-AD cycle.

Are you going to continue with Mag-10, or try something else?

MagicMel
07-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Monday morning report.

Last week's training did not go as planned. I had to skip my only cardio day because I had to work late that day. I also missed my chest/back day which would have been on the 4th of July. I was going to move the workout to Saturday but that just didn't work out because it was too nice a weekend not to spend with the family. Such is life's priorities!

Arms/Shoulders
A1 - Tri pushdowns 4x60, 6x70
A2 - EZ Curl bar 6x50, 4x55
B1 - Cybex laterals 4x65
B2 - Db Bent-over lats 3x12x20

Legs
A1 - Squats 1x115, 9x135
A2 - Leg Curls 2x25, 8x30
B1 - Calf raise (Leg press machine) 360,430,450,450 <-ouch!

Chest/Back
Missed workout

All weights and/or reps were increased from previous week.

As far as diet goes, for the most part is was relatively clean, but I have lost track of ratios and calories. I'll get back on track when this GVT cycle is over in a couple of weeks. The 4th's clean diet was anything but clean, though. Neighborhood block parties have a way of doing that you know. We hosted the party again for the 6th year in a row.

The 1-AD 3 week cycle is now history. There were no side effects at all. That may be because of the 300mg dosage. We'll see how it goes on the next cycle when the dosage is increased.

Post cycle I'm taking 6-OXO, 400mg week 1, 200mg wk 2, 100mg wk 3. I'm also loading Syntrax Straight (Creatine anhydrous) this week. I've started taking ZMA before bed, and have also increased the Flax Oil intake.

This morning's stats.

:)149.2 lbs up 3.8lbs
:(19.4%BF (Tanita scale) up 2.1%
:(14mm Mid section up 1mm

Eye2_Man
07-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Leg day looks pretty brutal. That's good stuff.

How's that 6-OXO? Is it making you sad?

I got one more new bottle of Mag-10 to go. 3 total. It's pretty good. But the 2nd bottle being consumed now doesn't seem as potent as the first. But it could be the timing or just getting used to it.

MagicMel
07-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Eye2,

No sadness yet, sob-sob. I just started oxo on Saturday night, though. If I do experience a sadness side effect, do you know of any Happy supps that I could take?

I've read that a PH dosage has to be increase each cycle. Maybe you need to take an extra serving of Mag-10 this cycle? I don't know, maybe a call to the Mag-10 people would shed some light on that subject.