PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Countryside

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:02 AM
I had to go to the other end of the South Island to bring dad home and took some pictures I'd like to share with you all

This one is a picture of the Wakatipu Basin, taken from on top of the Crown Range

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:04 AM
All arond the bottom west corner of the south island there are many lakes.

This is of Lake Hawea, taken from the passenger seat of the removal truck we rented for the weekend to get dad.

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:06 AM
another one from Lake Hawea

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:09 AM
this really gets the tourists going into a frenzy for the cameras.

Farmers moving stock from one farm to another, using the roads. Cars get engulfed and cannot move for upto 30 minutes at a time, depending on how many sheep the farmer has...

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:14 AM
to get the road through the Arthurs pass, the road had to build into the rock face, with concrete supports. To the right the duct can be seen for the water fall over the road....and to the left, slips can be seen under the tunnel...

edster951
03-03-2003, 02:16 AM
and then we got a flat tyre.......buggar!!

dad can be seen here helping me put on the spare.

Hibiscus09
03-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Edster -- absolutely beautiful!!! I'm ditching the trip to Orlando & heading your way for morning tea right now! :D

I don't change tires. LOL

iluvlifting2001
03-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Cool pictures edster. I wanna go.

wspe
03-03-2003, 08:06 AM
EDSTER:\

Great photos...

TwoWalks
03-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Edster, great pics and views. Tyres are soooooo much fun:)

MagicMel
03-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Wonderful country pics you got there Edster. One of these days I'd like to be one of those tourists stuck in a "sheep stampede".

For a moment there, before I clicked the picture of the flat tire, I thought I was going to see a picture of you hoisting up the truck with your bare hands while your dad changed the tire. LOL!

tracyb555
03-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Wow! Amazing photos! I think I'll have to come out and visit, so get your guest room ready.

BTW, maybe you could use this lady's help to change the tire:
http://www.jillmills.com/jm/events/wsw2002/wsw2002_stationary.htm

Belle
03-03-2003, 03:26 PM
changing the tyre... the South Island looks AS spectacular as the North Island Edster. I only went as far as Picton but my husband has camped throughout the South Island and says he will take us down there one day for a camping trip. Gotta wait for these babies to grow a little first and get a trailer tent.

Nearest pic I can find to anything similar to Aurthur's pass where we are is Manawatu Gorge, which is not quite so bad...

Belle
03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Windmill farm on the Tararua ranges where we sometimes take the kids for a hike..

Belle
03-03-2003, 03:29 PM
here they are, maybe they will show this time?

Dutchman
03-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Edster, its a shame you didn't catch some pics of Frodo and Samwise still roaming around there somewhere. Your pics confirm the spectacular scenery from the movie. Thanks

GLAlexander
03-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Edster and Belle

New Zealand is most definitely a beautiful country and on my list of places I need to visit. I was in Australia in 1986 and that may have been the most fun I have had in four back to back days.

Are either of you fans of the famous New Zealand rugby team? Edster you seem like you would quite comfortable in a scrum. I played American football and thought rugby would be an easy transition. I threw in the towel after one game.

Belle
03-03-2003, 05:57 PM
psst..I don't follow the rugby but the boys here do. That is the worst thing about having predominantly men in the house. Chloe and I often are out voted where it comes to TV content for the day. :)

I am a fan of Manchester United football team though... Cos I was born and bred in good old Greater Manchester in the UK. English are more into their football than rugby.

I like it when the All Blacks do the "Hacka" but that is about it. Maybe with time it will grow on me?

TrishB
03-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Gorgeous pics!
I would need a bottle of Ativan in me to get me over that pass though. Of course I would not be the one driving...:)

back2it
03-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Great pics , it looks like a beautiful place to live .

Eye2_Man
03-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Is that part of a golf course there in the basin picture?

edster951
03-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Is that part of a golf course there in the basin picture? No it isn't, more likely a vineyard...

The New Zealand All Blacks are our national rugby team, world champions in the inaugural rugby world cup. Every othr team aspired to our level.

With the advent of professionalism, the gap has closed. NZ doesn't have the money to keep players here, with the UK and Japan major poachers of our elite players.

I do play rugby, but at 100kgs, I'm considered pretty light. Most are around 110-120kg in the scrum.

Gator
03-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Great pics !!
Thanks !!!

Gator

kendo
03-05-2003, 08:03 AM
New Zealand scenery is awesome! They filmed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy there.

There are lots of sheep in Wales too Ed where they try to play rugby too - where the men are men and the sheep are.. well.. nervous!

There are some great scenic areas too I can see the entire Mourne Mountain Range from my bedroom window!

mntbikedude
03-05-2003, 10:58 AM
great pics Ed, takes me back to the two happiest years of my life.......when I served as a missionary in New Zealand for the Mormon church 1978 to 1980.......

Belle
03-05-2003, 12:49 PM
I have a brother-in-law that is mormon, and my sister was once baptized as a mormon when she was a teenager in the UK, but she doesn't follow it now. The brother-in-law and his wife and family do though.

mntbikedude
03-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Belle
I have a brother-in-law that is mormon, and my sister was once baptized as a mormon when she was a teenager in the UK, but she doesn't follow it now. The brother-in-law and his wife and family do though.

Yeah I served in some of NZ coolest places......Kiakohe, Tekuiti, Rotorua (rotorua home was heated with geothermal hot water and the area gets its power from the same) and Auckland.

New Zealanders (Kiwi's were so kind man I loved it there. I still eat like a kiwi fork turn upside down in left hand and knife in right hand......my wife cooks me a leg of lamb on special occasions....

Most won't appreciate this here but I played jazz organ and did organ concerts all over the North Island for the NZ organ society.......my final concert was in the Auckland Town Hall on queen street.......

Anyways there is rarely a week goes by that I dont think about my time there and how awesome it all was.........and it was great cardio riding a bike everywhere.....

I even smuggled a kumara home and planted it in my garden it grew but when I went to dig it up there was no kumarra.....

In fact I am looking at a Maori TIKI right now in my office......oh the days, of being chased by dogs, doors slammed in you face......I'm kidding that rarely happened and most days were awesome.....

Belle
03-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Lol@ doors slammed in face. :)

mntbikedude
03-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Belle
Lol@ doors slammed in face. :)

naw I was kidding really the kiwis were very nice when we knocked on their doors and I hope if you have Elders knock on your door that they are nice and not pushy.......

anyway since you asked ok you did'nt ask but I wish you would have asked where my favortie place was .........and though it was all wonderfull I would say that Tekuiti was my favorite place.....it was just a cool place and the people were great .......I even had a family , big sheep farming family, that came and stayed with us in the states ......and they werent interested in the church or anything they were just nice to me and so it was nice to return there kindness......

I will have to scan some of my pictures.......I have some great pics of skinny Elder Mntbikedude in NZ that are pretty fun.....I only weighed 130 lbs at the time.......

Belle
03-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Whereabouts it Tekuiti? Never heard of it, but then I'm a Lancashire Lass here. Well... they class it as part of Lancashire now or did at one time.

mntbikedude
03-05-2003, 05:30 PM
I cant believe you have never heard of my beloved Tekuiti......it is just like 8 kilos south of the glow worm caves......60 k south of Hamilton and 60 k north of tamarnuie.....(thats not spelled right)

Also just south of otorahunga........

Belle
03-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Taramanui?

I know Hamilton. It isn't far from me at all actually. I just looked tekuiti up on the net and it said it was in waimati. Must be the same place then. I just got a picture of Waimati up anyway on here. I've been in New Zealand for ten years no but I haven't seen much of it except the Lower North Island and some of the upper north island. Only been as far as Picton on the South Island for a day trip on the fast ferry. However, the friend I went with spent the whole of that time honking up everywhere due to the ferry trip. I was fine and on the Vino, but he looked a slight shade of green all day.

Macattack
03-05-2003, 05:56 PM
New Zealand is at the top of my list of places i would love to see, ever since i was a kid reading National geographics i wanted to go there:)

TheVision
03-06-2003, 05:22 PM
HEY....didn't know there were some 'home-grown' kiwis on this board!

I was raised in stormy Wellington and then moved to Auckland and worked for ASB Bank and Manukau City Council before migrating to US (San Francisco) about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to get back to KiwiLand or Downunder due to the stupid INS! I still miss my Watties Baked Beans and chicken pies (the ones u get from dairy shops!) very much.

Later Kiwis

PS: My wife who happens to be an American wants to go down there desperately after seeing my home photos so hopefully, when I resolve my legal status fully, I'll take her and her co-worker down to NZ and Aussie!

Belle
03-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmmm had some banking business today---changed to Kiwibank. :)

Now my fees will be a little les hefty. Wooohooo nuther kiwi here.

mntbikedude
03-06-2003, 06:58 PM
ummmmm that sounds good right now a NZ meat pie........I loved to go to Georgie Pie

theonlynameleft
03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Gorgeous photos Edster, makes me feel a bit lucky to get to live slap bang in the middle of it all!

** oops, only just realised how old this thread is LOL!

Hammerhagen
03-03-2016, 07:04 PM
** oops, only just realised how old this thread is LOL!

That's ok, women with nice AVI's like yours are always allowed to bump anything

RobRocks
03-03-2016, 11:40 PM
nice Im Proud to be a KIWI

sockitume
03-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Tu Meke bro!