PDA

View Full Version : This Freaked Me Out!

Brother Phil
03-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I just thought I would tell you about my last leg workout. Maybe there is something to be learned here. It started out great. Got a good warm-up pump doing light to heavy leg extensions. Went on to leg presses and was able to go 50lbs above last week, and even had an audience of teen agers watching me, which gave me a bit of an ego boost. I then went over to smith machine to perform some squats. I've had back surgery, and I put my feet about a foot and a half in front of the bar, as this seems to take some of the stress off the lower back. As I was pushing the weight up, since the force on the bar is pushing up and back, the front of the smith machine came off the floor and damn near tipped over. There was only about 75 lbs on the built in racks on the machine so I added several 45 lb plates onto the machine to weight it down. On my next set I had 225 on the bar, did about 15 reps, and I guess I was still a little disturbed about the last set because I did not rotate the bar far enough forward to fully engage the pins. I started to back out from under the bar and the bar just kept decending. Instead of just letting it go I resisted the momentum and let it down with my back and neck. I am lucky I didn't really mess up my back. Thank God I've gotten back in shape. I feel like I need a visit to my chiropracter, but other than that, no injury. Needless to say, I gave up on the squats and went on to calves. Not to many people even took notice until I let out a frustration scream. I really try to be carefull in the gym, and I thought I was in for major injury on this one! Whew!!! Thanks for letting me talk this out. I'm still a little freaked out about this.

TrishB
03-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Wow....You could have done some serious damage. Glad you are ok. :)
You are one lucky guy.

Belle
03-02-2003, 02:01 PM
So is the machine not bolted down to the floor? That sounds lax...

Most of the equipment here is bolted down except for benches obviously.

Brother Phil
03-02-2003, 03:14 PM
So is the machine not bolted down to the floor? That sounds lax...

The guy who owns this gym also runs a Tae Kwon Doe school and even admitted to me that he does nothing to maintain the gym. The gym is in the same building as his school and the owner just walked out and gave it up one day. I guess business is bad. He took it over and cleaned it up and re-apulstered some of the benches. The membership is cheap-$30 a month. I did some work at his house and he gave me 4 months free. I've fixed and lubed a couple machines for him at my expense (the ones I like to use), but the gym should be better maintained.

Charger
03-02-2003, 03:18 PM
I'd ask him how is insurance coverage is and offer to bolt them to the floor, for a couple more months free. It don't take much but that could have been bad!
Do you have a squat rack? do your squats there.

tracyb555
03-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Yikes! That would have scared me half to death. Thank goodness you are ok. He should definitely bolt those suckers down. Cheaper than a lawsuit, right?

Brother Phil
03-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Do you have a squat rack? do your squats there

The reason I use the smith machine is (usually) it puts less compression on my lower back, and having had lower back surgery, I have to be carefull. I squatted last year, but it led to back trouble. I've been working on the lower back, and even recently started doing deadlifts. I'm staying light, and will see how they progress.

Belle
03-02-2003, 05:08 PM
I would not like to get thrown by that gym owner Brother phil...he must practise on the Smiths Machine...that's why it ain't bolted down! LOL!! I'd tell him he's suppose to throw guys not Smith Machines.

Hibiscus09
03-03-2003, 04:43 AM
I can't believe you kept going! LOL Sounds like something I would have done.

Ours is bolted down -- it's very important. :D

TwoWalks
03-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Bro Phil, sure glad to hear you did not get injured, having a bad back I understand where your coming from. With mine it would have been all over, walking along and bump the hand on a table, down I go. If he inherited the gym he might not even know that is unsafe, do him a favor and tell him. Great chance to become a gym manager:D

MagicMel
03-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Glad you're ok Bro.
I can relate to the back problems on squats, as my lower back feels the pain from doing "normal" squats. I've been doing 10x10 with lighter weights and my back has been ok. I am going to try your method of standing a foot in front of the bar next time on Smith just to see how it feels. Thanks for the tip.

Brother Phil
03-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the heartfelt concerns. Been busy again with work/workouts. No time to check the forums. There's a new kid who works at the desk at the gym. The other day he went around and asked if anything in the gym needed attention. Of course I pointed out the smith machine problem. We'll see what happens. The back has actually been feeling great. I'm thinking it's the deadlifts. Hope the good progress continues.