PDA

View Full Version : Online Body Fat Tool

Phatman1179
03-01-2003, 08:15 AM
I know everyone is always looking for a way to measure Body fat and I ran across this one. It is surprisingly pretty accurate. Anyway it will work for you if you currently don't have a way to measure and you have a tape measure!

http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm

URL is now Fixed, Thanks GBAT and Milo!

Enjoy!

gbat
03-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Phatman1179
I know everyone is always looking for a way to measure Body fat and I ran across this one. It is surprisingly pretty accurate. Anyway it will work for you if you currently don't have a way to measure and you have a tape measure!

http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat2M.cfm?age=39&weightlbs=250&weightkg=&sex=Male

Enjoy!

This is a cool tool, Phatman! But I think we better start here:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm

This is the beginning page, where I record my 54 year old, 300 pound blubber and muscle package. :D

Phatman1179
03-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the Fix, Don't want to confuse folks :)

Eye2_Man
03-01-2003, 10:16 AM
That's strange. According to healthcentral, bodyfat is 16.1%

With calipers and chart it's about 26.

I sure hope this online calculator more correct. Those calipers are pretty funky.

MiloMan
03-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the Fix, Don't want to confuse folks :)
It would probebly be good if you edited the link in the first post as well.

MiloMan
03-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
That's strange. According to healthcentral, bodyfat is 16.1%

With calipers and chart it's about 26.
Where would you fit in this list?
-----------------------------------
In the book "Sliced", the states of muscularity are objectified as follows (I'll summarize each):

1. Full House = Over 20% bodyfat with no visible muscle definition.

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%

3. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%

4. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

5. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. You look small in clothes, but look fantastic when you're not. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

6. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.
---------------------------------------

Belle
03-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks for that. I'm going to update me stats with that and use it from now on. It's the best calculator on line I have come across.

Cheers

gbat
03-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by MiloMan
Where would you fit in this list?
-----------------------------------
In the book "Sliced", the states of muscularity are objectified as follows (I'll summarize each):

1. Full House = Over 20% bodyfat with no visible muscle definition.

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%

3. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%

4. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

5. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. You look small in clothes, but look fantastic when you're not. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

6. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.
---------------------------------------

That's an awesome list, Miloman. I come in between Full house and Hard, although I have a bit of ab outline coming in. The bottom of the abs is the blubber repository.

Viola
03-01-2003, 05:13 PM
O.K.
So this tells me I have 112 lbm and my healthy weight range is 132lbs. And that I should lose 19 pounds of fat to be in a healthy range. This gives me some good info to work with. Thanks

Viola

Ruthless4Life
03-02-2003, 03:04 AM
Hi, okay I'm only 16 (this is over 35 forum) but the online calc looks interesting and I've tried it, it told me I have 3.9%!! (which I certainly DON'T - mine should be more like 10-13%)

I don't know what went wrong.

Ruthless

Ruthless4Life
03-02-2003, 03:19 AM
I measured myself and did the test one more time, this time it gave me 2%!!!!!

here are my stats, I'm pretty skinny though, but not as cut as shown by the results....FAR from 2%

sex: male
weight: 132lb
waist: 31'
hips: 21'
forearm: 11'
wrist: 6.5'

Something doesn't seem to be right...

Ruthless

gbat
03-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Ruthless4Life
I measured myself and did the test one more time, this time it gave me 2%!!!!!

here are my stats, I'm pretty skinny though, but not as cut as shown by the results....FAR from 2%

sex: male
weight: 132lb
waist: 31'
hips: 21'
forearm: 11'
wrist: 6.5'

Something doesn't seem to be right...

Ruthless

I really don't know why your results came out like that. Only explanation I could see on the web site was the following:

Conversely, if a person is skinny but not fit, this body fat test may yield a number 3 to 5 percent lower than his or her true percent body fat. Though they look thin, unfit skinny people really have more than the usual amount of fat inside their muscles, which you can't see from the outside.

Even if you were not fit, the low % you got is quite unusual. When I was younger I fit into their explanation. Quite skinny, fat inside muscles. Now I have a nice blubber blanket on the outside to keep it all warm. I feel more secure now, not worried about floating off into space since I gave gravity some mass to work with. :D

Hibiscus09
03-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Wow, I won't be trying that again! It calculated my bodyfat as 24%! It was lower than that before I started my cutting diet -- LOL. :)

Minotaur
03-02-2003, 07:17 AM
This is the tool I'm using to track my progress. I don't know how accurate it really is, but I'm more concerned about progress. I'm using this exclusively. In the past 2 months it has shown a drop in my bodyfat.

Phatman1179
03-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Minotaur
This is the tool I'm using to track my progress. I don't know how accurate it really is, but I'm more concerned about progress. I'm using this exclusively. In the past 2 months it has shown a drop in my bodyfat.

My thoughts exactly, Minotaur. I got hung up there for awhile trying to find out exactly what my bodyfat was. I really don't think it matters how accurate your method, as long as you using something to track progress and you use the same method every time.

I heard this a million times and it's true every time, let the mirror and the tape be your guide.

gbat
03-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Wow, I won't be trying that again! It calculated my bodyfat as 24%! It was lower than that before I started my cutting diet -- LOL. :)

Hib,

You were measuring from the wrong end of the tape! :D

Hibiscus09
03-02-2003, 09:44 AM
LOL gbat! I've used other online bodyfat calculators that come up with numbers that are the same or much closer to my caliper checks. :)

I just re-checked it because I did a guestimate for my wrist size. Well, I actually measured it this time & it's 5.5" -- with that correction I'm now at 24.2% -- things are getting worse! :) I can tell by looking I'm not at 24.2% & I would rather use something that would give me numbers I can stand to look at. According to MiloMan's "Sliced" excerpt -- I'm "cut" & I'm assuming those bodyfat % are for men so I would guess myself to be (from looking in the mirror) around 17 to 18%. When I use a 3 site caliper it's coming out even lower but I think the estimates from those are a little low.

Eye2_Man
03-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Two more items to be added...

1) It seems like almost all methods have a margin of error and/or guess-work. And while it's true, that each method is good in tracking overall progress, they don't help very much in calorie planning. How can a person get an accurate calorie intake requirement when any method used is subject to a 50+% margin of error?

2) Why not fill your bathtub full of water and draw a water-mark line on the inside of the tub. Get in and completely submerge yourself while someone else draws a new line marking the water displaced. Get out of the tub and use a bucket filled with sink water to bring the water level back up to the top line. Before dumping in each bucket, weigh it. The sum of the bucket weights needed to fill the tub back to the top line should be close to your LBM. Of course, I imagine there's something wrong with this too.

MiloMan
03-02-2003, 11:57 AM
When I really want a dead-on measurement (which isn't very often), I go to my local YMCA, and get myself weighed hydrostatically. If I remember correctly, they charge about 10 or 15 bucks, not exactly a King's ransom or anything like that.

Belle
03-02-2003, 12:18 PM
My thoughts exactly, Minotaur. I got hung up there for awhile trying to find out exactly what my bodyfat was. I really don't think it matters how accurate your method, as long as you using something to track progress and you use the same method every time.

I heard this a million times and it's true every time, let the mirror and the tape be your guide.

Yup... same here. I just want to see the bf percent going down and even with this method you can see that looking at my stats for the past two weeks and comparing. I think you would have to go by appearances anyway as you get down to lower BF ranges as everyones idea of Low BF or "cut" is different anyhow.

I think generally people know when they "look" good. I'd have a tendency to jump up and down in the mirror as has been said countless times b4 and use that as a bf measure more than a tape and a scale or calculator anyway. It isn't going to matter to me whether it says 15% bf or 25% bf as long as it looks good on me and I look firm. Hell maybe there will not be any bf to speak of, but how can a calculator get the muscle to fat ratio dead right anyway. It sounds like the one you use to pinch your fat can be innacurate by a lot if you don't get the "pinch" right anway.

I like the above one actually as it is obviously using body proporions, I mean I do realise that it's estimate of my body fat is not exact, I mean how does it know whether the calf, thigh and neck measurements are purely more fat than muscle or more muscle than fat? Nothing could get it exact, but gauging from one month to the next is good once you have a baseline measurement and they change.

Though if your gaining mass and getting firmer and "bigger" on some of those measurements due to muscle increasing in size and not fat, and that indicated your body fat was going up you'd see the innacuracy of such calculators all the more. But whilst cutting, it helps your morale.

gbat
03-02-2003, 12:22 PM
My test was dismal but expected. It is about the same as other on line tests I have taken.

Height... 6'3"
Weight...300 pounds
Waist....(gasp!)...53"
Chest,(not part of the test but just want to show you that I do have a great "V' shape)....55" :D
Hips.....48"
Forearm...14"
Wrist....8"
Bicep...18"(also not part of test)

31% Body Fat
206 pounds lean
94 pounds fat

And this after I have been working out since October. I am in much better shape than then.

So don't feel bad ya skinny folks, compare yourself to Moby here! :D

gbat
03-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by gbat
My test was dismal but expected. It is about the same as other on line tests I have taken.

Height... 6'3"
Weight...300 pounds
Waist....(gasp!)...53"
Chest,(not part of the test but just want to show you that I do have a great "V' shape)....55" :D
Hips.....48"
Forearm...14"
Wrist....8"
Bicep...18"(also not part of test)

31% Body Fat
206 pounds lean
94 pounds fat

And this after I have been working out since October. I am in much better shape than then.

So don't feel bad ya skinny folks, compare yourself to Moby here! :D

What that looks like,
(me with one of my many endorsements):

Viola
03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
I went back in and put my measurements in as a male.
It calculated me at 17% and 125 lbm.
Now that is just not fair.

Viola

Hibiscus09
03-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Okay, I'm back to resorting to this kind of behavior again. This is what I think of this bodyfat calculator:

Belle
03-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Cute frog. :)

Phatman1179
03-03-2003, 06:47 AM
Well now I feel bad for posting the damm thing. Didn't mean to bum you out Hib. It actually fell in between my body logic scale.
My scale always fluctuates between 22.0 and 17.4 the Web site had me at 19.2

Hibiscus09
03-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Don't feel bad -- I was only kidding!!

This one is just for you. I'm off to Epcot & SeaWorld to chaperone my son's class. Have a great week!

batteryrequired
03-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Awesome...better than I thought...
11.5% bodyfat.... :D

tone-n-up
03-08-2003, 06:25 AM
I love that calculator. I had been searching all over for a calculator to try on the net. I had found some but they just did not seem realistic to me. This one I think is something that I can hold on to and go with. 19% BF
Thanx Phatman!!!!! :-)

Phatman1179
03-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Aw Shucks, Your Welcome :):)

Now I feel Better again, Thanks !!

Hibiscus09
03-08-2003, 07:22 AM
You were supposed to feel better after the Minnie Mouse kiss! LOL

Phatman1179
03-08-2003, 07:25 AM
I Did!! I Did!! Just didn't want people thinking I was a little freaky becuase I like Rodents :)

Hibiscus09
03-08-2003, 07:28 AM
:D I think those calculators are a little off on me because I have such a big J Lo behind. It just won't go away! LOL Must be all those lunges, leg presses & heavy squats I've done in my weight lifting past! I've tried to back off on the weights some.

Phatman1179
03-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, I think you better post a pic of that behind so we can make sure that isn't what is throwing off the fat calulations.

Um yeah, thats the reason..Yeah, Good one!!

Hibiscus09
03-08-2003, 08:33 AM
I'll be posting in the next couple of weeks. :) I have to tan some first -- LOL. Maybe if my behind is a little darker, it will look smaller. :D

Belle
03-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Lol at hiney looking smaller with a tan. I never thought of that one, maybe I'll put my thong on today..hehehe.

Hibiscus09
03-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Icequeen, what were your wrists measurement wise? I'm just wondering because I have pretty muscular glutes & quads & my wrists only measure 5.5" & my measurement on this calculator came out at 24.2%!! I did need CPR! When I checked with calipers last time I was at 15%. I liked that # better. :)

Belle
03-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Mine are 6" and they are quite boney as it is. They couldn't possibly get any thinner than they are, but they may get bigger with muscle (who knows)... If your BF is that imagine mine... *cringe*

Hibiscus09
03-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Well, imagine how boney my wrists are! LOL

Belle
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
You just have small bones I think, because I am petite to say the least, so your bones must be extra petite.

I think it sucks really and Icequeen just hit the nail on the head. It is "fitting" for extra weight to be muscle in a guy, but the extra weight on a women must be fat according to that calculator and not muscle. Tut tut. Not designed for us female body builders then huh as someone else may have already said! If you have a large JLo behind then it is more than likely muscle if your glutes are big. It's all the rage at the moment...

That s one are I'm trying to build on LOL! Well sculpt anyway not bulk!

What height are u?

Hibiscus09
03-09-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm 5'4". I definitely have an hourglass thing going on but have never been real excited about it at my height. I'm always envious of the girls who have nice broad shoulders & narrow hips & thinner thighs. However, it would take shoulder pads & surgery I'm not willing to get for me to be there! LOL

Belle
03-09-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm 5ft 2". My shape is such (when slim) that the width of my shoulders are the same as my hip width and waist has always been extremely small when slim--so small my bottom ribs stick out. I'm hoping that building ab muscle will stop that bit happening.

I've never had lean legs however, but then I've never really worked at that so I am expecting a change in that this time. I never had the knowledge I do now regarding weights and training or the way it affects metabolism ( I always assumed that weight lifting would make me bulk out). I am pretty confident that they will slim down this time. At my slimmest I wore size 8 which would prolly be a size 6 there in the US I think. That was of course without toning muscle---just being skinny. Could be smaller I don't know what your US sizes are in relation to european sizings of clothes. All I know is I was painfully thin and looked ill a lot of the time in that size. About a size 9 here makes me look better. (Size 12 is 25 "waist anyway)

Hibiscus09
03-09-2003, 09:19 PM
I wear a size 2 to a size 4 here, Belle -- depending on who makes the clothing. My waist is 24 3/4" & my hips are 35 3/4". I just bought some new duds at Express & they were all 3/4 clothing size.

Belle
03-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Oh wow. The sizes seem smaller than they really are then. If your waist is 24 3/4" then you would be a size 10-12 here in NZ. Now that has made me feel a whole lot better because I am only 5"away from a size 4 in the US. Cool! :)

*spring in step to gym*

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Glad to assist! :) If I ever come visit you, I won't buy clothes there! LOL

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Then I think CTG must be right! My waist is 25 3/4", hips 35 3/4" & quads are still (AGGGGHHHHHH) 21 1/4". Too bad I'm a tad bit shorter than you. LOL

Belle
03-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Yeh the muscle is throwing the calculator off I think. I am 23" quads at the moment, but I'd guess that there is a lot less fat there now than there was a month ago when I was 23" quads, and yet by that calculator I am still have 26.3% BF according to it. It spews the same BF% out even though I seem to have lost fat in the thigh area and probably built some muscle there so that says it all. (I used last months stats and tried it).

My wrists are closer to 5.75 today when I measure
Quads 23"
Calf's 14"
Hips are 37" (eek) "I think ma butt gittin big!"

so even if it is hot in ere, I ain't takin off all my clothes yet! LOL!

Hibiscus09
03-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Glad to know you listen to the same kind of music as me. LOL

Do you remember that song called "I like Big Butts"? Well my spinning teacher used to play it just for me because the measurements the guy hollers out in the song are mine. :(

Belle
03-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Dare we go back further to Queen's "Fat Bottom Girls?" At the time I did not have a big butt though..lol!

linebacker
03-10-2003, 02:18 PM
i am bulking right now and have gained about 30lbs in the last month and a half. i have almost lost my six pack and gained inches in all of my measured body parts.

results in this test say i am 6.3% body fat. no way.