PDA

View Full Version : Music in your gym...

Belle
02-28-2003, 12:42 AM
I just wondered if anyone has music played in their gym and what sort of stuff is played and if it distracts you from your workout, or whether you actually feel it helps to focus.

They have classes in the other half of our open plan gym when there are classes and different instructors play different music. Some is metal based and some is funky. I enjoy working out to music really it, actually helps me to do my reps at the right rate... especially when I am enjoying the type of music playing.

One of the guys that takes a class is into rock bands (wears a kiss t-shirt...lol!) and plays quite neat tracks from the 80's revamped somehow...

Then when they don't have classes they play the local radio station.

wildman536
02-28-2003, 12:45 AM
get a cd player bro it helps TONS!!!!!!!!!!

Gatorvrx
02-28-2003, 04:23 AM
The gym I go to is on a military base. They play a cross between hip hop and rap, with a little rock thrown in. It's all good as long as they don't play country music!

Hibiscus09
02-28-2003, 04:36 AM
My old gym used to play hard, hard rock (groups with the name Zombie attached -- LOL). Anyway, that's when I bought my CD player. :) The new gym plays old disco stuff. Yikes!

Gator
02-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Get a CD or MP3 player..
That way u can listen to what u want to..
My gym plays all Top 40 stuff, some good, some just down right horrible...But the younger kids like it..LOL

Gator

Hibiscus09
02-28-2003, 04:57 AM
I keep hinting for an MP3 player to my sweetie. I'm going to have to pull out the hammer & knock him upside the head soon so he'll get the hint.

Gator
02-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Arent there any Hallmark holidays coming up Hib ?? LOL

Gator

Originally posted by Hibiscus09
I keep hinting for an MP3 player to my sweetie. I'm going to have to pull out the hammer & knock him upside the head soon so he'll get the hint.

Hibiscus09
02-28-2003, 05:56 AM
Mother's Day is the one I'm shooting for -- they're always really nice to me on Mother's Day!

tracyb555
02-28-2003, 06:58 AM
My gym plays different types of music (I guess whoever gets there first changes the station).

Sometimes "oldies" rock (my era - ha ha ha!), sometimes newer metal type music (not sure what the kids are calling it now-a-days!), sometimes pop. When lifting, any of these work for me. When doing cardio, I listen to a very ecletic mix I have recorded on my MP3 player (YES HIBISCUS - YOU NEED AN MP3 PLAYER!!!)

iluvlifting2001
02-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Mine plays crap music. Makes me mad enough to get in a good workout. Either way, once I get a few sets under the belt I cannot tell ya what has played.

Eye2_Man
02-28-2003, 07:16 AM
Sometimes the portable CD/Tape player is brought out to the garage. Usually live Grateful Dead tapes are played. I like listening to Leann Rimes CD's on chest/shoulder day.

edster951
02-28-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
I keep hinting for an MP3 player to my sweetie I love the way you call him your sweetie.....bit like my breaky morning tea I spose :) :)

I don't hear the music when I'm lifting...too busy concentrating.

Hibiscus09
02-28-2003, 08:39 AM
LOL, Edster -- I still smile when I read breaky or morning tea in the posts. Anyway, my sweetie is a sweetie. :) He loves me & the kids to death & is always so nice to us & doing things for us. He calls me "Sunshine."

MiloMan
02-28-2003, 08:47 AM
The music in my gym is always 100% suited to my tastes - because I lift at home.

DaddyR
02-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by iluvlifting2001
Mine plays crap music. Makes me mad enough to get in a good workout. Either way, once I get a few sets under the belt I cannot tell ya what has played.

Mine too. But it rarely motivates me. Usually I can tune it out after a bit, but sometimes it just about ruins my whole workout. I definitely need to get a CD player.

Dutchman
02-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Damn good topic folks! I suffered through years of the european prediliction for techno music in their gyms....yyyyccchhhhh! One of the greatest things of being back home was the change in music. Now the old farts gym here in wrinkle city does it's thing with 50s/60s soft rock which I can live with being an old American Bandstander from the fifties. But what I love is the old blockhouse style gym I use for my heavy lifting where mornings and afternoons they crank it up with some classic rock. The more they roll out some Stones, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd or Bob Seeger etc, the more I get FIRED up! Music punches all my buttons till I damn near feel like doing the boogie right there on the floor. Instead I get psyched up and rip the iron apart! I LOVE IT!!!!! It really is a powerful driving force in whatever I accomplish.

Phatman1179
02-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Used to have real battles over the radio , not so much anymore. The younger guys will listen to "Classic Rock" when I switch it. Mainly becuase I'm 6'2 250 I'm thinking, LOL

HankC
02-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I hate almost everything played on the radio but like a couple of you I lift at home so it's not a problem. I do have an idea, though... Among the gym regulars, there could be a weekly or monthly contest for some sort of improvement like weight gain/loss, bp increase, or whatever. Whoever had the best gains could control the music. That could be motivational.

Belle
02-28-2003, 12:14 PM
When your teens think the music that you listened to at their age is "hip" and they want to know what clothes your wore in the 70's and 80's---it seems it has all come full circle somehow really. LOL!!! So they are playing the stuff in my gym that I used to listen to but in some cases it's a digitally mastered version or it's vamped into some kind of techno version...

me... I mean I sometimes find myself grooving to M&M on the radio in the kitchen...LOL! I'm still a kid here.... I don't care what anyone says aboiut the music nowadays... :)

Recently my daughter asked me to buy her some "70's"
"80's" music because she thinks it is fantastic... hmmmm. I think I am trying to be younger and she is trying to be older...LOL... should trade places!

tracyb555
02-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Belle
me... I mean I sometimes find myself grooving to M&M on the radio in the kitchen...LOL! I'm still a kid here.... I don't care what anyone says aboiut the music nowadays... :)

Recently my daughter asked me to buy her some "70's"
"80's" music because she thinks it is fantastic... hmmmm. I think I am trying to be younger and she is trying to be older...LOL... should trade places!

Psst... Belle, it sounds like the candy, but he actually spells it Eminem! Just don't let your kids see your alternative spelling!

My DD recently started listening to some of my Queen CD's, thinking the music was really cool. Guess I'm like you, trying to be younger while my 13 yo is trying to be older :)

Belle
02-28-2003, 12:22 PM
I get "Hon" (pronounced HUN) here...I don't know whether they use that there do they? Short for honey... it's a kiwi thing maybe...

Belle
02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Must be old...lmao! No I won't let them see the alternative..I'll never be allowed to live it down Tracey... :) They're always pickin on me...

MagicMel
02-28-2003, 12:40 PM
My gym plays the same CD mix over & over & over again, at the same time every night. If I hear Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow "Picture" I know its about 9:30pm. Followed by No Doubt "Hey Baby", followed by Dixie Chicks "Landslide", followed by....... OMG! I've got the whole damn mix memorized.
I'm just glad I use my MP3 player for cardio. It's a must on the elliptical trainer.

So Hib, I guess you weren't able to snag your hubby's player after all? It really is nice being able to mix your own tracks for free. Go Morpheus!

Hibiscus09
02-28-2003, 12:43 PM
No, I didn't take his -- he listens to stuff I just can't listen to without getting a big headache. He likes alternative rock a lot. Anyway, today I was heading to the gym & realized my CD player was broken. Boo-hoo. It was a nice one -- I dropped it getting out of the car the other day & I guess it killed it. :( I borrowed my son's but now I definitely need an MP3.

MagicMel
02-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Sounds like an excellent way of getting your sweetie to get you a new MP3 player. lol

I was on the elliptical Wednesday night, and the gal next to me got her earphone cord tangle somehow. It yanked the CD player to the floor, opened up both the battery compartment and the CD lid. It still played, so I guess no new player for her!

drew_bledsoe
02-28-2003, 01:36 PM
they play classical and jazz type music on some days. on others its more adult comtempary. its not my first choice of music but oh well. what do u xpect from a free membership, right?

RoshiDrew
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I just wondered if anyone has music played in their gym and what sort of stuff is played and if it distracts you from your workout, or whether you actually feel it helps to focus.

They have classes in the other half of our open plan gym when there are classes and different instructors play different music. Some is metal based and some is funky. I enjoy working out to music really it, actually helps me to do my reps at the right rate... especially when I am enjoying the type of music playing.

One of the guys that takes a class is into rock bands (wears a kiss t-shirt...lol!) and plays quite neat tracks from the 80's revamped somehow...

Then when they don't have classes they play the local radio station.

At my gym, they just have a satellite radio station playing, usually some kind of Classic Rock station. While I don't mind listening to Classic Rock (I even worked at a station here in Atlanta), I just don't get into hitting the weights hard while listening to Journey. Just doesn't do it for me.

I bring my own little MP3 player that slips into my running shorts. I can play my own god-awful blend of music and get in a good workout.

Listening to my "own" type of music definitely helps me in my workouts. Helps me push it as hard as I can when I'm there. :)

rocketman44
12-01-2010, 11:06 AM
The music in my home gym is always to my liking. :)

But I also have a gym membership, and that music varies. I'm not one to train with earphones, so I don't use an IPod, so I won't complain. But for a while last summer, I heard every Katy Perry hit ad nauseum. Lately, the gym's been tuning into to stations with better variety.

OTH51
12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Strong 7 year bump! :)

Degaussed
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Big time! Take me back to my join date! :)

gympunk
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
CRAP! = Seger, Styxx, Nickle Back,etc...

CaptChip40
12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
get a CD player LOL how bout MP3 or I Pod! Lots changed in 7 years

whatevergirl
12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Music is my gym? HORRIBLE! A combination of Justin Bieber...and oldies...wth? lol
I don't wear an ipod when weight lifting...for some reason...I just get distracted. I try to tune out the tunes overhead, though...

SP1966
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
get a cd player bro it helps TONS!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't look at the date after reading the original post. I did after reading this reply! LOL

Brackneyc
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Music is my gym? HORRIBLE! A combination of Justin Bieber...and oldies...wth? lol
I don't wear an ipod when weight lifting...for some reason...I just get distracted. I try to tune out the tunes overhead, though...

You know what I listen to...Rage against the Machine, Ozzy, AC/DC Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome (podcast) , and of course, Planet 80s on Itunes radio.

whatevergirl
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
You know what I listen to...Rage against the Machine, Ozzy, AC/DC Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome (podcast) , and of course, Planet 80s on Itunes radio.

Rush....Justin Bieber....hmmm...that's a tough choice. lol
Neither! :p

I listen to Rage Against the Machine for my runs. Interestingly...I have been listening to belly dancing music for my runs. I know, sounds strange. But, the beat just keeps you moving. lol

glsfitness
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I've been listening to few cuts off Lenny Kravits new album.

Brackneyc
12-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I've been listening to few cuts off Lenny Kravits new album.

I just took a few of Lenny's "radio" hits from Amazon.

Want to add some Alice in Chains next.

Karl_Hungus
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't really care what they play in the gym....doesn't really affect my ability to lift because I tune all that stuff out anyway. Although, I do gotta shake my head a bit when they play "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" (no sh!t, they really do play this in the weight room).

glsfitness
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I just took a few of Lenny's "radio" hits from Amazon.

Want to add some Alice in Chains next.

Alice used to be in Wonderland

Now she's in Chains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BankWalker
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
They are chastised for NOT using the search function...AND they're chastised for a strong 7 year bump. They can't win.

hochspeyer
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM

True dat!

I generally don't listen to my music- see my mini movie reviews in my journal. Movies are especially good on long cardio days, and I'm having more of those lately.

pharmamarketer
12-02-2010, 03:58 AM
^^^^^ I laughed when I saw that one of the responses was to bring a portable CD player. Then I saw the date. b

Brackneyc
12-02-2010, 04:36 AM
They are chastised for NOT using the search function...AND they're chastised for a strong 7 year bump. They can't win.

I hope some of my threads are bumped in 7 years. :)

ironmadienhead
12-02-2010, 04:42 AM
hahaha....This is a funny thread. The other day I was hitting the gym and DID NOT have my ear buds in and was amazed at how quit it was their. Now days with the MP3 players and ear buds...it's like everyone is in the own little world

Dw33z1L
12-02-2010, 07:19 AM
it's like everyone is in the own little world

And this is exactly how I like it. I want everyone at the gym to leave me the h3ll alone and let me do my thing. I can't imagine going to the gym and spending two hours chatting and getting maybe 15 minutes of actual working out done.

Personally, I like to bust out my boom box while sporting my neon leg warmers and inside out sweatshirt. I like rockin' it 80's Castro style.

OTH51
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Seriously, if you think this is chastisement with a similey at the end

Then you must live a very sheltered life.

I generally don't listen to my music- see my mini movie reviews in my journal. Movies are especially good on long cardio days, and I'm having more of those lately.

I was wondering about those reviews in your journal. I'll have to check more closely.

RATyson
12-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I consider myself very lucky.

We have a gym here at my office, and I am usually the only one in there on my training days. We have an A/V box that I can connect my iphone to and listen to whatever I want through the speakers. They don't pipe any music in.

So, mostly I listen to:
Sevendust
Pantera
Jane's Addiction
Foo Fighters

On the rare occasion that someone does come in while I'm training... if they are ok with the music, I leave it on, if not, I just turn it off.

I would use earbuds/headphones, but they just keep falling out of my ears or I snag the cord or something... I have a set of bluetooth headphones on my xmas list.. so I'm going to have that option hopefully soon.

michvolley
12-02-2010, 09:17 AM

7 years!! I was wondering why people were taking cd players to the gym .. I didn't look at the dates .. hahaha!

DaddyR
12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
How the heck does someone find a 7-year old thread to bump anyway? Were they actually doing a SEARCH for this topic? WTF?

Eric_FXST
12-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I prefer XM/Sirius Octane the beat is typically great for fast paced cardio.

Now t.v.'s I cannot stand. They distract my attention and focus off the workout. If alone, I turn off the t.v.'s.

joenj07087
12-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I exercise listening to my own music...but in my gym it depends upon who is the front desk representative at the moment, they choose the music that is played to their liking..so we get everything....rock, alternative, rap, 80S , Trance, techno, and even Reggeaton....but i got my earphones on all the time...only take them off if it interferes with a particular exercise I have to perform.